It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity - History's Greatest Scam

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by makinho21

Christianity is the only one arrogant enough to boast a figure that is god and man,

There are branches of Buddhism that deify Buddha.

Also, Catholics are "Christian" in the sense that they "believe" in Jesus. But this isn't enough. It's what you've done with Jesus. [There will be plenty of people across denominational divides once Christ returns. They'll be surprised that being "Christian" wasn't enough.] Unfortunately, the Church of Rome has strayed from what the Bible teaches in exchange for their man-made theories. This is why many don't consider Catholics true Christians, or those that are in the body of Christ.

When you compare Catholic theology to Protestant [in general] theology, you'll notice that there is a huge difference. You'd then go on further to see that Catholics add a lot of stuff that's not in the Bible, while Protestants, to various degrees, try to adhere to biblical teachings.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

and that it is deemed improper for one to criticize or oppose it

As a Christian, I don't feel that it's "improper" for someone to criticize or oppose my faith. I don't really care if people do. That is their decision. All I can do is give an apology for my faith and then go on my way, striving to live the way the Christ wants me to and spread his gospel.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

I think your view towards people who disagree or criticize with your choice in religion or beliefs is very admirable. In my opinion its how everybody should conduct themselves no matter what views or religion they have, doing so also adds a huge amount of credibility to the person and their understanding of what they are talking about. I often think when i read hostile posts from people arguing this or that religion is right that the reason they take such an aggressive stance is because they don't understand what they are arguing for. Does it really matter what side of the fence somebody is on? If your comfortable with your views and what you believe the need for hostility when somebody questions them is none existent.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I've seen just about every major religion and religious group bashed on here at one time (aside from Hinduism). Those of you complaining should think of that if you ever join in or nod your head in the affirmative when seeing another religion or religious group "bashed" although, there are one or two of you here I have seen come to another groups "rescue").

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I always thought that instead of suggesting that the stories generally associated with Christians are stolen/plagiarized from older unrelated cultures, wouldn't it be more sensible to suggest that these stories were written by the same people that have been traveling through the Earth over a very long period of time continually updating, adding to and refining the stories and the concepts as their knowledge of the world increased?

Maybe the Moses story wasn't stolen from the Sargon story, perhaps the two events actually occured. Wouldn't that be a far more interesting discussion than..."the Hebrews stole the Sargon story during their captivity in Babylon?" Hebrew and Akkadian are both Semitic after all.

I think the truth as to what is going on in this insane asylum is far more complex. What's going on won't be fully explained in a couple of sentence fragments.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by IDK88

Your probably more correct than any of us actually realise, all information is passed down from generation to generation and as people move about tell more people with their own slant on the story. Chinese whispers on a global scale would give some pretty interesting results lol. Its actually quite reasonable to think that this is the case, think of how long some urban myths have been circulating... its pretty insane.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by speakplain

Another in the daily line of Christian bashing threads.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the thread earlier this morning. Is it me, or are there more and more of these lately?

I am confused why questioning a belief system is being equated with Christian-bashing. The OP is not bashing Christians. He's bashing Christianity. There is a difference.

Peace,
Daniel

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by pdpayne0418

After seeing thread after thread here on ATS about Christianity, it is easy to tell when a poster is actually questioning something or when they want to bash or "troll" as it's also called.

For me, the key that he was bashing Christianity came when the OP called Christianity backwards and garbage. And, you can't separate a religion from it's adherents. So, when he goes on bashing Christianity, he is thereby bashing those that follow it. Essentially calling me, and others, backwards.

[edit on 7/25/2009 by octotom]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Surely though the OP is entitled to an opinion regardless of what you think of it and its just as valid. I think certain authors of books and directors of films are pretty crap and would happily express my views on the fact but i wouldn't necessarily be bashing them, just expressing my personal preference, experience and opinions. Some people are Christian some people are not, others openly disagree or oppose it surely everyone's personal point of view is valid... Maybe its just me who thinks its okay for everyone to have an opinion, free speech is for everybody regardless of who agrees.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

It's a great story. I think that Jesus did exist historically speaking but that when the Romans got a hold of his philosophy they corrupted it. I think his greatest lesson was that people don't need religion, he taught that so long as you have Love you will find "God" and you don't need a middle man or all those silly rules the Old Testament is full of (which strangely many Christians still try to follow)... I think the establishment religion killed Jesus because he was teaching people things they found subversive to their control over the people and their minds.

I agree that most of the supernatural parts are rubbish borrowed from other religions and perverting the message of the true Jesus and making him into some pagan sun god blending his teachings with the polytheistic religions of the day (hence why Catholics pray to Mary and the Saints and their religion is filled with occult pagan symbolism, such as the Cross)...

The Romans saw the ideas of the early Christian church as rebellious and dangerous. Once Constantine and the Romans got hold of Christianity they tossed out most of the Gnostic texts where the real bulk of the philosophy of the religion existed and they perverted it, twisted it, and ended up using it to create guilt, fear, to control people's minds. They used it to uphold their tyrannical rule, to justify genocide, racism, torture, inquisitions, and suppression of scientific discovery... And thus Christianity became, as you said, History's greatest scam...

One man 2000 years ago tries to teach us to love each other be nice to each other and look at what "his" religion is used for. It really is just a big joke now, and more and more blind believers fall for hook line and sinker each and every day

[edit on 26-7-2009 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by refuse_orders

Yes thank you - nowhere in my statement did I say "octotom is repulsive and backwards", though his comments are rather annoying at times. I am merely stating my opinion on the fundamental principles on which Christianity was built - atleast the modern view of it. If he should feel trodden on, that is his decision and there is nothing I can do about that. I atleast was making a point and had something of a backing for it, I did not just attack Christianity or "troll" as he thinks I am doing. This goes back to my point that for some reason society deems religion unique in that one should not ever consider critiquing it or analyzing it from a secular point of view; that religion is a personal right, and to have someone oppose a religious view is unacceptable. I wonder who decided that? The fanatical christian right comes to mind

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Just read your last thread....post...quite balanced there my friend...

ru ready for a different avatar?

Cause its being...that is the concept portrayed...is from the pit of hell...let alone completely illogical.....and offensive...

u ready to step up?!!!

OT

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

I find it quite humorous to be honest. Just as other avatars display ideas and concepts not completely accepted by society and science, my avatar expresses a different take on a particular subject. I am not attacking anyone specific am I? What if I told you I found your avatar hideously unattractive, would that make you change it. Most likely not. Each to his own ofcourse

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Humorous...is an initial accepted reaction...so you are in line, my friend.

Thing is Rodrigo Mendoza helped a dozen...JC helped a few billion...

Apples and Oranges bro...and you know it....

The dude on the cross, MY savior has said EVERY KNEE shall bow and acknowledge ME as LORD....OT did it 38 yrs ago....how bout you friend?

Its a VOLUNTARY thing in 'TIME', once you step out of TIME, its MANDATORY

and scary....

Sorry!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

...are you preaching to me? Maybe if you use a few more dots (.....er....) it'll start to work.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
lol- funny thread

And I couldn't agree more OP- Christianity is plagerised- yet people still fall for it and say it came up with everything on it's own merits- I lol when I see peeps say Jesus was all about love and acceptance- get real he was a right little control freak- it's my way or the highway folks!
He is only all loving and accepting if you fall for the bs and do everything that christianity expects of you

And to whoever it was saying Catholics aren't Christians- hello they believe in Jesus, that he died for everyones sins and that he was ressurected- that is what a christian is- like it or not old Popey is a christian-

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by lifecitizen

And to whoever it was saying Catholics aren't Christians- hello they believe in Jesus, that he died for everyones sins and that he was ressurected- that is what a christian is- like it or not old Popey is a christian-

They also believe that they need works to get to heaven, which the Bible doesn't teach. The Bible also doesn't mention popes, priests, purgatory (and paying your way out. Yes, when you die Catholicism teaches that people can pay your way out of purgatory.), praying to and worshipping Mary, or confessing your sins to a priest.

Catholics are not Christians.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Yes, they are

I read your arguments earlier, no need to keep repeating!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifecitizen
Yes, they are

I read your arguments earlier, no need to keep repeating!

So why are they Christians? They believe that Christ's death wasn't enough to pay for our sins, while the Bible says it is. That's a pretty big difference.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by Totakeke]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Catholics regard themselves as Christians, you can keep on saying they're not but that won't change a thing- for all intents and purposes- they are

fwiw, my Mum agrees with you

(shes a fundie)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join