It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jack The Ripper: The Case Reviewed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

Thats true, what about a bodyguard as proposed above? You think that would be a plausible theory?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Its certainly a possibility but i think the style of these murders was to specialized for a simple body guard. Whoever comitted these crimes didnt just do it for money.. they did it because they were good at it. It wouldnt surprise me if this was the work of a professional killer / killers.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

Excellent thread, Myth! Nicely laid out and easy to follow (something that's often lacking from other threads, but always well done in yours). I've been interested in the Ripper Crimes for a long time, and I"ve read quite a few books on the subject. I was not overly impressed with Cornwall's book. Here's a quote from the short review you posted that pretty much sums up my feelings about that book:

it appears as though Cornwell decided who the Ripper was first, and then scrambled to find evidence to support it.

The collected edition of Alan Moore's From Hell has an excellent bibliography at the end, detailing his research for every single page of the graphic novel. Definitely check it out if you haven't already (yet another book for your list!
) . Sure, it's a fictionalised account, and draws its own conclusions, but it's one hell (ha ha) of a read. Thanks again for your great thread!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Intriguing. I am surprised to learn that the FBI did a profile on Jack the Ripper. Must have been a slow time for murders happening in this century...

I don't think that a guy being 5'9" tall and having a mustache is much of a clue. That must have applied to about half the men in London at the time.

The idea of it being a barber is interesting. I wonder what a barber's job was, at that time. I know that a barber often performed surgeries on people, but I don't know whether that custom persisted into the late Nineteenth Century. If it did, then it would give added strength to the notion that it was Kosolski - he'd also have the basic medical knowledge of where to do the cutting.

I wonder whether we'll ever know the truth about Jack...

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

If I really had to make a guess I would most likely pick Gull he seemed to have the motive and the means as for the opportunity he did suffer a hart attack around the same time as Polly Ann Nicols was found so that certainly would rule him out.Who else was in Prince Eddie's inner circle? or perhaps it was some of his body guards.I think at the most Sickert had an idea about who Jack The Ripper really was.Druitt meh, I found the idea of him being the Whitechappel Killer to be silly look at the attacks on those women whoever did was not a brute.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Myth, another excellent case reviewed! Again extremely well written

and presented. Jill The Ripper, is an interesting plausible theory.

I too have heard that these murders could of been done as parts

of masonic rituals, and that a royal could of some how been involved.

None the less, keep up the great work, S&F for you MYTH

Marilyn Monroes is so far my favorite!! ever considered doing one on

Jon Benet Ramsey? Thanks again!!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
God I LOVE these threads, Myth. All your threads are some of my favorite reads on here!

Keep at it!

Peace

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I was just discussing your thread series with my girlfriend today. She sat down and read all of them, enjoying greatly. She has a keen interest in true crime. I'll be sure to tell her about this one too

As to the topic: To be honest, I feel that this is one of those classic mysteries that at this point, we are so far along it may be well impossible to ever determine who really was the killer. Though, as always, you do pose some very intriguing and plausible possibilities.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Batmanatee, chiron613, truth/seeker, jeasahtheseer, RoboKy

THANK YOU so much for your kind words and your support. I really do appreciate it.
The truth about the Ripper will most likely go unsolved, only because their is a lack of evidence and other necessary clues. But the closest we can get is through logical and rational theories and of course the psychological profiles.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

I like that killer(s). More than one, wasn't their a theory about more than one killer? Like brothers or something? I am probably thinking baout the wrong case. But that is still interesting.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Excellent post and my personal favorite of your case reviews.

Always an interesting case without doubt.

I personally lean towards the 'Jill the ripper' theory.

Well presented.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Clark Savage Jr.

Thank you mate. I REALLY like the Jill the Ripper theory, infact I might just write a fictional book about that. Wow, that theory really rocks. But I lean toward a man, particulary the one looked at. But I could certainly be wrong. It sure as hell wouldn't be the first time, look at the zodiac thread an dthat will tell you everything.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I am surprised that you did not mention Lewis Carroll, author of Alice in Wonderland, as a prime suspect. I believe there has been strong evidence against him.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
The movie from hell totally debunked it with the Royals involved.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by EDteach

Thank you for bringing that up again. Here's some evidence:

Charles Lutwidge Dodgson - 'Lewis Carroll'

Wallace published his theory in 1996, in his book 'Jack the Ripper, Light-Hearted Friend'. It was, in brief that Dodgson and his Oxford colleague Thomas Vere Bayne, were both responsible for the Whitechapel murders. He based his belief on anagrams he constructed out of Dodgson's work, which he claimed were hidden confessions of the author's life of crime in Whitechapel in the autumn of 1888.

The anagrams he presents in his book are not very good, in that they tend to make limited grammatical sense, and Wallace tends to cheat rather by simply leaving out or changing any letters he can't fit in.

For example he takes this passage from Dodgson's 'Nursery Alice':

'So she wondered away, through the wood, carrying the ugly little thing with her. And a great job it was to keep hold of it, it wriggled about so. But at last she found out that the proper way was to keep tight hold of itself foot and its right ear'.

and turns it into:

'She wriggled about so! But at last Dodgson and Bayne found a way to keep hold of the fat little whore. I got a tight hold of her and slit her throat, left ear to right. It was tough, wet, disgusting, too. So weary of it, they threw up - jack the Ripper.'

But most don't really think he was a killer. There is a lot of evidence against him, but here is something cool:

Was Dodgson Jack the Ripper? Well, even after Wallace's anagrams, the Pope's mitre and the deerstalker hat, the general consensus has to be - probably not.

He was, however a mystery, quite a dark and deep one - still waiting to be solved.

Dodgson did mention the ripper in his private diary - just once, on 26 August 1891, when he records talking to "Dr. Dabbs" (an acquaintance of his on the Isle of Wight), about "his very ingenious theory about 'Jack the Ripper'". Though, being Dodgson, and one of the most contrary animals God ever made, he did not mention what that 'very ingenious theory' was.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
alright. i have sort of a preliminary idea about the ripper.

i think he differed from the zodiac in a huge way. i think the ripper's killings were anger based. the zodiac seemed like more of a thrill killer than anything but the ripper seems like he was taking his anger out on these women.

the attacks were VERY personal for one reason or another. the level of mutilation and destruction signifies to me that there was some passion behind it.

i will speculate about what he was angry about some other time. i need some more facts first.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I understand your research...But read this information I found

Laura Richards, a behavioural analyst at New Scotland Yard's Violent Crime Directorate, as she re-opens the case of Jack the Ripper, the first modern serial killer. With the benefits of modern criminology and psychological analysis, and the aid of Britain's best detectives, Richards uses 21st century forensic techniques to understand a 19th century killer, dispelling the many myths that have grown up around the case and revealing the truth about Jack The Ripper, the first modern serial killer.

to read the complete storie

www.huffingtonpost.com...

very interesting

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
i think that the answer lies in the name "jack", asuming that he gave himself this title, it is probably the only real clue in the whole saga

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Wow...thank you for your hard work and another really interesting case review.

I never heard about the 'Jill the Ripper' theories before, but they certainly seem interesting and plausable.

There is the whole royal conspiracy thing that people talk about, it is featured in the film 'From Hell' with Johnny Depp, it is an interesting watch and I image close to the book of the same title?

Having lived in that area before I have done all the ripper tours and stuff and you can easily imagine the terror that spread throughout that area at the time.

I think that there were certainly several more cases than the official count and am torn as to if it was just a crazed nutter or some kind of deep conspiracy and ritual.

I would love to see one on Dr. David Kelly if you are looking for more cases
I know, I should get off my lazy behind and do it myself.

Once again, thank you. These case reviews remind me of when I first lurked and joined ATS, a time before all the political conspiracies and trolling that goes on these days.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Great thread Themyth, very well researched and written.
There was a program recently on British TV about the first two letters being infact fake, written by a reporter for a new newspaper at the time to boost sales. His hand writting is shown to be the same as the first two letters and that the free press at the time that recieved the letters knew this. So "Jack the Ripper" was a press created name.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join