Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

TA-ATTACKS: Blast in Chechnya, Chechen President Killed.

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 03:34 AM
link   
An explosion in the Russian republic of Chechnya has killed at least 32 people and injured 46, according to Interior Ministry officials. The blast at the Dynamo stadium in the capital, Grozny, came during a ceremony marking victory in World War II.
Killed in the explosion was Chechnya's President Akhmad Kadyrov. Other government officials killed were Hussein Isayev, head of Chechnya's State Council, and Eli Isayev, the region's finance minister.
 

BBC

A spokesman for Russia's emergency situations ministry said a landmine made of a 152mm artillery shell had exploded in a VIP seating area. A second unexploded devide was later found in the area and safely de-activated.

The commander of Russian troops in Chechnya, Gen Valery Baranov, was critically injured in the blast and had to have a leg amputated. He was initially believed to be among the dead.

Russian television showed chaotic scenes at the stadium as emergency services treated the victms.

The emergency ministry spokesman said a second landmine had been found following the evacuation of the stadium.

Chechen Prime Minister Sergei Abramov will become the republic's acting president, the Kremlin said.

However, the Russian news agency Interfax put the number of casualties at one dead and 25 injured.

The source of the landmine will be important, but there are several possibilities;
1) It was a landmine by renegade Chechen rebels trying to kill their pro-Russia leaders
2) It was a landmine by Russia to kill the Chechen leaders, unknowingly blowing up one of their allies
3) It was a random terror attack.



[Edited on 9-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

[Edited on 9-5-2004 by Banshee]

[Edited on 10-5-2004 by Zion Mainframe]




posted on May, 9 2004 @ 04:27 AM
link   
the chechan leader has been assasinated. i will brb with a link.


news.com.au

"Chechen president dies in blast
From correspondents in Moscow
May 9, 2004

THE Kremlin-backed president of Russia's warring Chechnya region and a top Russian general were killed today when an explosion tore through a stadium in the Chechen capital where they were attending Victory Day observances, the republic's Interior Ministry said."

no doubt this was purpetrated by someone from russia. wheather or not they are involved with the russian gov is annother story.

[Edited on 5-9-2004 by ausconspiracies]



posted on May, 9 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Payback inevitable

"Payback 'inevitable' in Chechnya
From correspondents in Moscow
May 9, 2004

RUSSIAN President Vladimir Putin said Sunday that "payback was inevitable" against the people who set off a bomb in Grozny that reportedly killed the republic's president and top general, along with at least six other people, RIA Novosti reported.

More to follow..."


so will this be the start of bloodshed russia wide??
or will this be something that surprises us, no retaliation, just mourning??



posted on May, 9 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   
there will be retaliation imo, but only against those people who russia believe to have done it
maybe some high level hits to get rid of those who are anti-russia in the chechen leader circle



posted on May, 9 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Hmm the crisis level for the world has just gone up a couple points. Do any of yall think of Russian involvement or just a sect of rebal/terrorist?



posted on May, 9 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Yahoo reporting 14 killed 20 wounded



posted on May, 9 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   
BBC reporting 32 dead 46 wounded



posted on May, 9 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Thos stupid ...
[edit: cursing removed. author warned]

[Edited on 9-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]



posted on May, 9 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This is HUGE ..I don't think russia will be so kind to their enemies.may make the iraq prison scandal go away



posted on May, 9 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   

2) It was a landmine by Russia to kill the Chechen leaders, unknowingly blowing up one of their allies

This makes no sense.
Why should Russians use LANDMINE to kill someone in Russia controlled teritory?


[Edited on 9-5-2004 by longbow]



posted on May, 9 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
To make it appear like they didnt do it?
I'm not saying it's what I think, I'm just saying it's a possibility



posted on May, 9 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ausconspiracies
Payback inevitable

"Payback 'inevitable' in Chechnya
From correspondents in Moscow
May 9, 2004

RUSSIAN President Vladimir Putin said Sunday that "payback was inevitable" against the people who set off a bomb in Grozny that reportedly killed the republic's president and top general, along with at least six other people, RIA Novosti reported.

More to follow..."


so will this be the start of bloodshed russia wide??
or will this be something that surprises us, no retaliation, just mourning??



Putin recently said "We do not negotiate with terrorists. We eliminate them."
(just a few days ago,IIRC)

Putin is going to bring down the hammer hard. Mark my words.



posted on May, 9 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
General Baranov is not dead he's seriously wounded in the hospital (lost his leg plus some other injuries). The bomb was made from 152 artilery shell that was detonated with a wire or timer, investigators say. I don't think russian security forces should be proud of this incident.



posted on May, 9 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
ok originally i got my wires crossed.


so the people who were targeted were pro russian am i right??

if so there are some possabilities

as others have said

1) it was done by extreemists
2) it was done by russia to look like extreemists
3) it was done by chechnya to make russia look bad
4) it was done by someone not involved with either russia or Chechnya



posted on May, 9 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   


Putin recently said "We do not negotiate with terrorists. We eliminate them."


ok i can go along with that but...

where is everyone to decry putin's stance on this? people blasted bush for his "we dont negotiate with terrorists" stance so why not putin? ok for the goose but not the gander?

does anyone have any sense of consistency anymore?

after all it certainly appears putin is getting dangerously militant about wanting to stamp out his country's enemies, terrorists...so why isnt he getting the same treatment bush got?


Q

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Don't know why Putin isn't getting plowed by the press for this. Perhaps because this is expected from Russia? Either that, or there is the realization that it wouldn't raise a stink from every bleeding heart in the country the way things do over here. (I am sotired of the bellyaching about the 'poor poor Iraqi prisoners'.
Enough, already!)

The president was in power with explicit Russian approval and support. Putin certainly has no qualms against dropping the hammer on them--and I for one think that he should. Burn 'em out, Vlad!



posted on May, 9 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
also...

correct me if i'm wrong but wasnt putin a tad critical of bush when he adopted this "zero tolerance" policy when it came to terrorism and terrorists? he did distance himself from bush after that, i remember...

wouldnt that make him a HYPOCRITE???

its all well and good to call the attacked over-reactors until the same thing happens to you then you join the band wagon.



posted on May, 10 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
also...

correct me if i'm wrong but wasnt putin a tad critical of bush when he adopted this "zero tolerance" policy when it came to terrorism and terrorists? he did distance himself from bush after that, i remember...

wouldnt that make him a HYPOCRITE???

its all well and good to call the attacked over-reactors until the same thing happens to you then you join the band wagon.


Well there is a bit of a difference. Basically, the lack of stabilityin Chechnya is on Russia's front doorstep. There was also the hostage attack in a Moscow theater by Chechnian terrorists not long ago. What Putin has to deal with is closer and a much more immediate threat to Russia than Iraq was to the US.

Most nations were for the US going into Afgahnistan. Iraq has no proven ties to 911.


[Edited on 10-5-2004 by Facefirst]



posted on May, 10 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
funny i never mentioned iraq. in fact i never mentioned any country specifically aside from putin's own country.

do NOT EVER try to put words in my mouth.

i am talking about putin's stance on terrorists and bush's stance. since they are the same and bush got bashed for it in the name of consistency and being unbiased putin must also be bashed by the same people who bashed bush for having the same stance.

so why is it ok for one president to have such an "extreme policy" (as bush was accused of) and not the other?
bush was accused of this BEFORE iraq (since you want to bring up iraq and all)

it certainly appears as though america is held to a higher standard than people hold themselves or other countries to.

[Edited on 10-5-2004 by ThePrankMonkey]



posted on May, 10 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
funny i never mentioned iraq. in fact i never mentioned any country specifically aside from putin's own country.

do NOT EVER try to put words in my mouth.

i am talking about putin's stance on terrorists and bush's stance. since they are the same and bush got bashed for it in the name of consistency and being unbiased putin must also be bashed by the same people who bashed bush for having the same stance.

so why is it ok for one president to have such an "extreme policy" (as bush was accused of) and not the other?
bush was accused of this BEFORE iraq (since you want to bring up iraq and all)

it certainly appears as though america is held to a higher standard than people hold themselves or other countries to.

[Edited on 10-5-2004 by ThePrankMonkey]


First off, I DID NOT put words in your mouth. It is a pet-peeve of my own as well.

You mentioned Putin over-reacting to America. He was against but did not over-react to the US and other countries going into Afgahnistan.

He DID over-react when we prepared and mounted a full scale invasion of Iraq. And I think his reactions were justified.

If you are not talking about Iraq, then I am not sure what over-reations you are talking about.






top topics



 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join