It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traits of an Empath: Descriptions and Discussion

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ogbert

Absolutely right! Great example.
For some reason over the years I always seem to attract a lot of dodgy characters who later become friends. I'm talking serious people who are feared in their respective fields of expertise. I've had these people confide things to me no one else knows, we've shared some real moments of humanity, in one on one situations we've laughed until we could laugh no more other times they've brokedown and cried.
I've brought a calm to these types of people and in return I get chances to peak into their different lifestyles.
Perhaps another perk because I do enjoy the voyeurism of getting unique access to other people's lives.
For all the haters if this was an indigo child thread I would be right there trolling with you BUT its not, I've lived with this and judging by the various posts so have a lot of other people.
HATE IF YOU WANT BUT THIS IS REAL, SO THE TROLLING IS MEANINGLESS!
I gotta sleep, Lets see if this thread last overnight lol.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Badfuture]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badfuture
reply to post by ogbert

Absolutely right! Great example.
For some reason over the years I always seem to attract a lot of dodgy characters who later become friends.

Yeah, i have had similar experiences. Ya gotta watch out for psychic vampires though!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jackieps1975

I too feel peoples' moods and need to be at the beach, hate crowds but perhaps it's just knowledge of herd mentality that makes me fear crowded places. and I feel greed. Hate those mega stores. Missed alot of good rock concerts when I was young.

Does anyone else smoke like a fiend? Also, altho I don't like alcohol as much as I used to, I need to be drinking a beer to be with people, especially 'ordinary' folks who talk nonsense. We all have to connect with the neighbors occasionally. I stay by myself mostly and this has been going on now since '90. The most disturbing feelings I get is folks' denial and lack of curiosity about the world we live in. I'm in a place where many languages are spoken and I don't understand the native language, but I do recognize the word for money in many languages and that's all I hear people talking about.

I notice we don't laugh as much as we used to. I'm working on not taking things too seriously, especially myself, even in the face of an Absolute need for consciousness evolution or we're sunk.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Geladinhu

gotta be a healer and a forger like that. I go to parties, knowing that I'm on a mission to heal and cure. Problems come out right away from people I just met and stuff, I know it. It happens. Train some martial arts and your abilities to release negativity will go up

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Very interesting topic and one worth discussing. I too feel that I am able to sense the emotional state of an individual perhaps more than the ordinary person. The reason I have come to on this phenomenon is what is known as micro-expressions. People display subtle body language which is often accompanied by very short micro expressions in the facial muscles that will give away their inner feelings, motives and often long term emotional states in literally a split second. I'm open to the idea that we are capable of deeper forms of communication but most often the people who can "read" a person more than another are just better observers. Even the best liars flash these micro expressions unless they are genuinely sociopathic.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Mumbotron]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Do anyone use drugs? What is your opinion on that?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mumbotron
I'm open to the idea that we are capable of deeper forms of communication but most often the people who can "read" a person more than another are just better observers.

Good Point. Looking at things from the angle of neuro-linguistics, observers would be visual, there could also be better listeners, hearing auditory cues. Additionally, kinesthetics may be able to "feel" things about others.

Rapport, is fascinating. Like when you and someone you know well, pop out the exact same words.

I come from a part of the South where there is definitely a drawl to the spoken word. Always amazed me when friends i hadn't seen in a long time came back and they spoke like the people in the areas they moved to. Could this be from being in rapport or empathetic to the point that they lose their southern drawl? Seen it happen a few times.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Wow! More than 70percent of the description is true to me.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ogbert

Ya, that's how people develop cultural identities and eventually through the same regional dialect transformation.. languages. Great point with the auditory data.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ogbert

I know that for mine, personally, it has VERY little possibility to be "observationally" linked. I'm legally blind and can't see much more than a foot beyond my face lol

I've been able to "read" people from quite a bit of distance, to feel that connection with them and go with it, even over just typing to each other on an instant messenger or something.

Anyhow, just thought I'd add that into here.

Oh someone asked earlier about smoking... Yeah I am a chimney lol

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This is one of the best threads I've seen on ATS in awhile. I too am an empath. I have another unique ability that I don't tell a lot of people about but I see auras as well as being in tune with people on a really deep level. I have had seen auras since I was a baby. It's sometimes really overwelming when you can see it as well as feel it. It is really hard when you can tell that someone is sick or dying. You can't tell them what you see or feel. They'll think you're nuts. I made the mistake one time of making a comment to my friend's girlfriend about her being pregnant. She didn't know it yet herself. She took a pregnancy test the next day and she was pregnant. I've done that several times. I knew before the woman did. The definition of an empath like most of you have said has me pegged. Reading this thread and some of your responses has made me brim with emotion. Love is soooo powerfull. I'm almost positive that we're here to help our fellow man. In these times we're needed even more than usual. I love you guys! Tell a total stranger that and watch the look on their face! They make think you're an insane lunatic but I bet they remember that all day. They might even go home and tell someone who never hears it that they love them. What's the harm in trying?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
As far as the smoking thing,...like a chimney! To answer the under cover DEA agent, (j/k) Lefties and righties!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Reply to Jomina

feel that connection

Yeah! SOUNDS like you may be a bit kinesthetic! Notice my auditory cue "sounds"; anyway, i hear ya!

[edit on 16-7-2009 by ogbert]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I really feel there's a spiritual connection to empathic ability and anxiety. It sounds like a reach but anxiety and stress can cause dissociation, which can also go along with an ability to sense at a higher level, be out of body, etc.

This certainly explains my situation! If anyone knows of published research or books in this area please let me know!

Star and flag - thanks for the info

(and to other empathic posters, thanks for posting even though this may put you out in the open, as it were.)

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
Im gonna share something that might make all of you really unhappy.

In an infinite universe there is infinite suffering. There are an infinite number of poeple commiting suicide as i speak on differnt planets. There are an infinite number of societys torturing and killing those who speak the truth. There are an infinite number of lives who never get to know or understand anything but pain in reality. This will never end and there is nothing you can do to save them all. There is no magical heaven... there is no freewill... everything you are is just memories... without them you are nothing.

We are all looking for a face in the heavens and we arent getting $%^&. In the knowledge of these things there is an understanding that gives rise to a limitless compassion for us all.

There is also the other side of the spectum equally. It really is about where you are and who your with. All i can hope is that this place changes or that i can leave it.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by Wertdagf]

You sir are correct, however there is a balance. The truth of it all is its all about experience. Once someone balances all infinite within oneself, one will be enlightened.

For example who would you consider more knowledgeable, a person who is in seclusion all their life and doesn't feel love or pain ( or only get one of these two ). Or someone who has had an equal share of pain and pleasure in their life, which they have learned to balance within their lives. Life experience makes you who you are. Empathy is only a byproduct of how you where raised, and what has happened to you during your life. I will admit some are more predisposed to certain sensations than others, but its largely due to events experienced.

But you are not special, you are not unique, you are who you are and everyone is the same. What separates people is what they experience through their lives. Environment shapes your perceptions, environment shapes your reality, and you will always reap what you sow.

Bottom line balance is the most important thing to achieve. Balanced can be achieved in a multitude of ways. Perhaps being empathetic is one path one can walk to reach this goal.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by InOurNature

I guess its just too much information to give.
Good luck on the quest though.

[edit on 17-7-2009 by Geladinhu]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Reply to phi1618

I think we are what we think.
Yes, perception and environment effect what we think
But, where do thoughts come from anyway?
Do we all think the same?

How do you KNOW environment effects all equally?

I have seen families where the one child is a saint and the other is almost demonic.
Same environment. same parents. different progeny from the start.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ogbert
Reply to phi1618

I think we are what we think.
Yes, perception and environment effect what we think
But, where do thoughts come from anyway?
Do we all think the same?

How do you KNOW environment effects all equally?

I have seen families where the one child is a saint and the other is almost demonic.
Same environment. same parents. different progeny from the start.

No two people share the same environment. Even the slightest things can change perception.

Also it depends on the observer, which i view as not being determined by DNA.

A good example would be if your family cloned you, raised you and loved you. No matter how hard they tried it would never ever be you.

the fact is environment does not effect everyone equally, it just give one more paths to walk.

It all comes from perspective, the observer decides. Environment simply guides our eye.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

Do you give the 100th monkey syndrome any significance?
The story goes something like this.

One little monkey on an island found that it could open a shellfish with a rock. Soon all the other monkeys were enjoying shellfish too.

But, the weird part is that monkeys on disconnected islands all over started using rocks as tools.

Don't know how scientific the study was, but pretty cool, i think.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I've known that I'm an empath for a long time. From learning instantly off of others' traits, to knowing the exact nature of an individuals problem, to helping someone in pain simply b/c I can feel what they feel...
What else could it be? Who knows... some of us are born to help and heal, some of us condemn each other for no reason.
Apologies if this was off topic but trying to remain calm cool and collected in a house full of hate is more than my soul can bear presently.

Love & light

" Those who claim to know the truth rarely do and those who truly do rarely claim so."

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join