It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Christian Quotes That Hit Home.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Four Christian Quotes That Hit Home.

Here are four quotes from God that speak to me.

Feel free to add your own Christian quotes, and just to be fair and balanced if you athiest folks wanna throw in yours that's fine to.

Without further ado, here are my four favorites.

Do not judge, or you too will be judged."

Matthew 7:1

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:16

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding.

Proverbs 4:1

And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God, And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan. And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?

Luke 18:15-17

I look forward to reading what you guys think about these quotes, and which ones you yourself admire.

Mod's: sorry if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it but please move this one if this is the case www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks and god bless.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
ooooooohhhhh!

A rebuttal!!!

Hmmmm....

answer me this, is this a christian quote?

"Do not complain about the splinter in your neighbors eye, whilst you have a log in your own".

Or however it goes.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I like those too, but my favorite and forgive me because off the top of my head I can not remember exactly what the numbers are but I think it is in the Psalms...

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path!

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Yep, that is biblical! It kind of goes along with the judge not lest ye be judge verses....

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize

Yep, that is biblical! It kind of goes along with the judge not lest ye be judge verses....

Sweet, cause that's my favorite one!

I don't know, that one always hit home with me.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Atheist quotes ... meh

Christian quotes ... meh meh

Step out of the coin and ...

Join the Agnostics!!!

We're a non-prophet organization.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Yeah I like it too. Funny thing...some of the most judgemental people on this earth are "supposed" christians! As a believer in a higher power, it always gives me pause...

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I like these:

#1 "The man must be bad indeed who can look upon the events of the American Revolution without feeling the warmest gratitude toward the great Author of the Universe whose divine interposition was so frequently manifested in our behalf. And it is my earnest prayer that we may so conduct ourselves as to merit a continuance of those blessings with which we have hitherto been favored." - George Washington

#2 "I have lived sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And, if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid? We have been assured, sir, in the sacred writings, that ‘except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it.;

"I firmly believe this; and I also believe, that, without his concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel;...

"I therefore beg leave to move, that henceforth prayers, imploring the assistance of heaven, and its blessings on our deliberations, be held in this assembly every morning before we proceed to business: and that one or more of the clergy of this city be requested to officiate in that service." (Benjamin Franklin as quoted by Jared Sparks, The Works of Benjamin Franklin, 1837, pp. 155-56)

#3 "Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports... Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles." - George Washington, Farewell address

#4 "God, who gave us life, gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are a gift of God?" (Thomas Jefferson, In Love with Eloquence, p. 30)

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I am particuarly fond of the judge not least ye be judged as well as the splinter vs log.

My favorite though (because it was my own revelation and not something I read) is "To him who knows to be good and does it not, to him it is sin"

To me this means not just reading something or someone telling you something is wrong, but when it becomes a part of who you are and then go against it you are 'sinning' (for lack of a better word at the moment) against yourself. You suffer with guilt and possible 'karma'.

Great thread OP

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

Ok there is another, I forgot if it's a biblical quote or not, i'd like the verse if you could.

"Foolish is the man who looks in the mirror, but when he looks away, does not remember his own face".

I'm sure it is, it's been awhile since i've led youth at a church....

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Love a good rebuttal.

Why do all Christian quotes seem to have to come from the bible? Sure it is a good book, hell it is THE good book. Still in 2000 years you'd think someone might have had a little conversation with God and written something a little more pertinent to today's society.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
They are words of kindness and compassion..which is crazy considering all the innocent people Christianity have viciously tortured and put to death over the years.

I guess this just goes to prove.. you cant trust anyone. Especially Christians.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
1 Corinthians 7:12-16

12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not*, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. 13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. 15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace. 16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

*"Believeth not" here is translated from the Greek word ἄπιστον (apiston) which could also be translated as "unfaithful"

link   
Hey I got this one, butit's from Enoch, removed from bible... but why not
"
And Uriel said to me: 'Here shall stand the angels who have connected themselves with women, and their spirits assuming many different forms are defiling mankind and shall lead them astray into sacrificing to demons as gods, (here shall they stand,) till the day of the great judgement in
which they shall be judged till they are made an end of. And the women also of the angels who
went astray shall become sirens.' And I, Enoch, alone saw the vision, the ends of all things: and no man shall see as I have seen.
"

Yeah I like it... See what angels get for macking on some sweet honey, daaaam

link   
I like the good Samaritan one.
That's about the only one that "hits home" with me.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Mine was always, 'what good is the man who gainethh the world, yet loseth his soul?'
Wonderfully paraphrased by amazing musician Matthew Good as 'Gain the world but lose yourself'

But having been on both sides of the fence...
Id have to say that agnosticism is the only thing that makes sense.

I mean its absolutely INSANE to say that god does not exist, in one way or another, look at the Universe Is Big thread, if god was physical manifest, then surely we could be in one of the octillians of places we have not searched by telescope, or if purely spirit, it could exist on a different plane/spirit realm (like in legend of zelda haha). It also does not have to be a sentient entity, maybe just a life force?
And on the opposite end, saying god exists because you read it in the Bible makes no sense either. You're giving a lot of benefit of the doubt to people translating who were not there to witness the events! And even if the ancients saw 'god', whose to say that it was not something evil pretending to be all powerful?

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
4 More good ones:

#1 "We have grown in numbers, wealth and power as no other nation has ever grown. But we have forgotten God. We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us; and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own. Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us!" (Abraham Lincoln, A Proclamation "to designate and set apart a day for National prayer and humiliation.")

#2 "America, under the smiles of a Divine Providence, the protection of a good government, and the cultivation of manners, morals, and piety, cannot fail of attaining an uncommon degree of eminence, in literature, commerce, agriculture, improvements at home and respectability abroad." - George Washington

#3 "Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." (John Adams, In John R. Howe, Jr.’s, The Changing Political Thought of John Adams [Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1966], p. 185)

#4 "The success, which has hitherto attended our united efforts, we owe to the gracious interposition of heaven, and to that interposition let us gratefully ascribe the praise of victory, and the blessings of peace." (George Washington, To the Executives of New Hampshire, November 3, 1789)

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

I got this from the net. It is James 1:22-James 1:24

1:22 But be doers of the word, and not only hearers, deluding your own selves.

1:23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man beholding his natural face in a mirror;

1:24 for he sees himself, and goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was.

Yep. That is a good one too. I don't remember reading it.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by vcwxvwligen

1 Corinthians 7:12-16 12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not*, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. 13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. 14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. 15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace. 16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

That is a hoot. Sorry if it offends you but my brother, who is an extremely strong fundamental christian counseled my (ex) husband to leave me because I was no longer a believer.

Thanks for posting that.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Oops sorry. I replied to the wrong person. Meant it for you regarding the James quote.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join