It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if there is No God? At all!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Religion is Mind Control, nothing more or less.

You said it better then anyone! Thank you! People are too close minded to realize it is complete 100% mind control. They start you out young at young ages of 5 or 8 or 10. And brain wash you to believe if you don't believe this your going to burn on fire for the rest of your life. So they become brain washed zombies and force it on there children and friends and brain wash them. It's like in inbreed history of brainwashing generation after generation.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by xweaponx]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
As for morality:

You don't need Religion if you have Empathy.

The ethic of reciprocity is all we need.

I don't base my life, nor actions, on the fact that some 'great white father with a big stick' might be in the sky, ready to punish me if I don't act in certain ways.

As human beings, we always want to put things in 'boxes', define them, limit them, structure them. And it was a helpful tool, once upon a time. But it limits us.

Why does life have to have a 'purpose'? Why is the choice, living today for the afterlife, or living today to leave a legacy? It's a limit of the ego. You live, you die, you are forgotten. You are a part of the whole, and you are nothing. All and nothing. Get past the ego. You came from nothing and you will return to nothing. And yet, you were/are a part of everything.

And I do not believe in God, nor any other 'higher power', and yet, there are times when I have appealed to such. When my mother had cancer for instance. This does not mean that I suddenly wavered, and wondered. It was not because, in any way at all, I expected an answer, but because, like a child snuggles up to their stuffed teddy bear, it gave comfort.

There is something about humans that we respond to authority, that we find solace in the idea that there are times when it's GOOD to be taken care of. It's why we run to momma when we scrape our knees, or when we have a nightmare at night. We are a social animal and realise that sometimes, what strengths we lack might be sought in others, more wise, powerful or strong. And so we created Gods, the ultimate boo boo kisser.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

Well said ! I was about to go into a whole debacle than you summed up it all perfectly

well done

[edit on 11/7/2009 by ocker]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The God of the Earth is the God of Heaven and above all things and has all things under Him, and Yeshua was telling everyone the truth in the gospels. When Maitreya the Anti-Christ comes, you'll see.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by watchtheashes

okay

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

Why does life have to have a 'purpose'? Why is the choice, living today for the afterlife, or living today to leave a legacy? It's a limit of the ego. You live, you die, you are forgotten. You are a part of the whole, and you are nothing. All and nothing. Get past the ego. You came from nothing and you will return to nothing. And yet, you were/are a part of everything.

Very well put Jadette.

To the OP, I guess my name defines my purpose

You did cause me to think about my life though and the fact that I am not living, only existing at the moment. So what the heck am I waiting for? Fear, fear of doing without later (it is already later) and if I don't make some changes now, later I will be too old and tired and probably won't care anyway.

Not exactly what you were looking for but thank you for posing the question as to 'what you would do different'.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchtheashes
The God of the Earth is the God of Heaven and above all things and has all things under Him, and Yeshua was telling everyone the truth in the gospels. When Maitreya the Anti-Christ comes, you'll see.

IF the Maitreya comes around me I am going to put him in a headlock, give him a noogy, then pin his head between my legs and fart in his mouth

Ok back to reality, I have actually endured what the OP has stated. At one time I was very faithful or a faith fool. It took me probably 5 years to break all the magical thinking faith gave me. Hell I still catch myself doing it from time to time.

Now I am not saying there isnt a God, got to hold on to my delusions, but I do think that if there is a God he is nothing like the Judeo-Christian God.

How do I know that. Observe the universe and how it functions. The entire universe is based on randomness and survival of the fittest. This is true from galaxies to humans to the smallest creatures known to exist.

But really it is pretty cool to think there is a god that creates a system that creates new things. This is my new delusion.

By the way Rep08 great thread and you have really been kicking on the thread creation lately. I miss you. I really liked that time you foed me. Maybe I could get some beers and we could hang out, and if you wanted, i mean really wanted to foe me.... well then you could

[edit on 11-7-2009 by grapesofraft]

[edit on 11-7-2009 by grapesofraft]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

1) Do you think you're day to day life would change.
2) Would you change your behaviour.
3) Would you be harsher to people.
4) Would you strive harder in life, knowing your legacy is all there is?
5) Would anything change, would you continue on praying, knowing 100% in your heart you're praying to nothing, but your own imagination.

Well I'm not actually religious but I thought it would be fun to do anyways.
1. Maybe, I'm not sure.
2. I don't know if I would be happier (living life to the fullest because this is all we got) or sadder (knowing that it's all pointless) or the same.
3. no, I still would treat people the same or better but not because of the nonexistent of a God, but just because I want to.
4. Definitely not, What does my legacy matter to me especially if I'm dead.
5. I already do pray to my imagination

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Even without a "God" and "belief," each major religion has a rich mystical tradition of inner self-development...whether its Buddhist meditation, Islamic Sufism, St. Theresa's 7-fold "Interior Castle" visualization, whatever...

All of these things, or slight variations of them, could still be used as tools for psychological development even if there is no objective, external "God."

In the end, God or no God, the bare fact of existence brings with it a kind of existential awe. Isn't it amazing just to be here? To flex our hands, to marvel at the skittering leaves and blue of the sky? To truly enter the mystery of all this and steep oneself in its inherent awe will always be possible and deeply spiritual.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cancerian42

Funny thing is, christians are 99,666% as atheist as normal atheists... they also dont believe in any other gods, exept Yahweh.

And Yahweh even says in his 10 commandments that there are other gods, but you shouldnt have them before him.

The first things i think of when Religion (christianity) is brought up:

Gullible -> Picking and choosing convenient stuff to believe -> ignoring the inconvenient stuff (in the bible) -> hypocracy -> denying science -> ignorance -> dumb sheeple

What if the there is no god at all?
- I already live as if there is no god, no gods, no pink unicorns, no made up, supernatural and imaginary characters.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
What if there is No God? At all!

What about those who dont believe in a god ?

See, religions only believe in what they know, know of their heritage, understand the customs handed down to them, by family and mentors.

Ever heard of

This is how i believe religion gained momentum and has never stopped, simple theory, for a simple solution.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I had the opposite of the OP

I was a skeptic and an atheist.
One day I was talking to a medium and they tried to convince me of life after death. I thought is was a con; so I trained to be a medium and I believe I have passed on messages from beyond the grave.

When I realised that there probably was life after death, then I came to conclusion that god exists too. I then knew that I would be accountable for my actions afterwards. This did change my life and I feel I have become a better person for it. I do not follow any religions.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Argue might have been the wrong word...how about debate?

People will always find something stupid to fight over is "my" point.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I'd get straight on here and post about how this worldiwde denial of God is an obvious conspiracy by TPTB to turn themselves into our saviours.

Obviously

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

See, religions only believe in what they know, know of their heritage, understand the customs handed down to them, by family and mentors

hmmm...gee, i thought this side of the arguement was held by athiests .
k so athiests have the faith based beliefs.right?

bunch a bombastic knownothins
[edit on 11-7-2009 by randyvs]

[edit on 11-7-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I am Catholic, and I'm probably going to be horribly insulted by others because of it, but it's ok. First, the topic is actually very interesting, and really makes you think hard. I already did have a lot of doubt about the existence of God, and still have it sometimes, but I keep it to myself and try to be as reasonable as I can be, considering I actually am a college educated person with a very good knowledge of science. I still believe, and i don't plan on stopping.
But what really irritates me are the majority of freakin' atheists - they are completely the same as religious freaks!!! If you have an opinion, that's great, but don't insult the believers calling them stupid, gullible, indoctrinated (we all realized when we grew a brain that our parents raised us as religious people, but we also realized that if we believe that there is no God, we can simply stop being religious). You say that believers have enormous Egos because they feel that their life has a higher purpose, and on the other hand, you elevate your Egos by calling religious people dumb, sheep and I don't know what else. If you respect the person, you respect her/his attitudes and her/his belief system, and do not spit all over them because they want to feel a higher purpose in life.
And just to be clear, I despise religious freaks just as atheistic freaks - they are all loud, obnoxious and just have to be right no matter what!
And stop blaming religion for the wars, religion does not start wars, people do; they just need an excuse for it, so that they do not have to feel responsible for all the death they cause to others!
So, if you do not believe in God, that's ok, I'll respect you and your opinion, you are entitled to it just as I'm entitled to mine. But don't talk to me about being good to people no matter what you believe in, and at the same time talking crap about me - that's hypocrisy, the same thing you're blaming me for!
This refers to all the obnoxious atheists here - all of you decent, respectful atheists, you're ok.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
There is both truth and beauty in life, this is the spirit of man, without it, we are just hollow machines.

One afternoon, while on break at work I watched a ant drag a cricket's leg back and forth across this crack in the concrete. Back and forth, back and forth, he hadn't a clue of where he was going. He must have dragged this leg across this huge chasm at least two dozen times while I sat there and smoked my cigarette. With this great bounty locked in his jaws, he could not see where he was going. After I finished my cigarette I too traversed the crack in the concrete, just exactly as I have done four times a day for the last 25 years and went back to work.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Break through the barrier of belief in God to a knowledge of God. Find mathematical proof of the existence of transcendental intelligence (the Mind of God) revealed in the astounding equivalence and properties of the sacred geometries of various world religions and their connection to the mathematical basis of superstring theory, music, DNA, etc. Here are 50 research articles (downloadable PDFs) that demonstrate the existence of an interface between religion and science:

smphillips.8m.com...

A holistic paradigm is demonstrated in these articles to be present in what are isomorphic representations - religious and scientific - of the basic nature of reality. This parallelism has no rational explanation, scientifically speaking.

Be advised that the articles are highly mathematical and are best understood by being read in sequence.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I'd like to get the real serious Bible Thumpers and such onto this thread, to see them experience a paradigm shift of thinking momentarily.

Well I'm not a thumper.

But...

I do believe in a higher power whom I choose to call God. My version of him is not the same one I had while I was growing up being forced fed others preordained versions of who and what he was handed down from the elders etc.

I've moved away from the religious version of my God to one based on a personal spiritual connection.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rotwang
There is both truth and beauty in life, this is the spirit of man, without it, we are just hollow machines.

One afternoon, while on break at work I watched a ant drag a cricket's leg back and forth across this crack in the concrete. Back and forth, back and forth, he hadn't a clue of where he was going. He must have dragged this leg across this huge chasm at least two dozen times while I sat there and smoked my cigarette. With this great bounty locked in his jaws, he could not see where he was going. After I finished my cigarette I too traversed the crack in the concrete, just exactly as I have done four times a day for the last 25 years and went back to work.

I can't believe I am the first and only star so far on your post - loved it

Solomon said; "Go to the ant thou sluggard .. " I think he missed the whole point of observing ants

The OP's question kind of bounces off for me - nothing can be ever proved - but lets assume for sake of argument, that something actually can be proved, and entertain the idea that truth exists objectively - well, I would be as surprised that God didn't exist, as I would if he tapped me on the shoulder - not really shocked by either, but certainly a feeling of having better information.

EDIT:

Oh and I should quickly complain about the religious or believers who need God as a basis for their morality.

All I can say is, Inquisition, suicide bombings, intolerance, fear and hatred - so much for your moral compass. Religion is a strict code of rules that say they are morality - when they are a simply a recipe for intolerance.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by Amagnon]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join