It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if there is No God? At all!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
This is probably, my only thread that will be pointed toward Christians, Hindus, Islam, etc etc etc, religious people, as a whole.

Atheism and Religious folk, have been butting heads alot lately, with the rise of great authors on both sides of the pendelum.

Only after watching the first of billions of Dawkins videos, did an Idea for an ATS thread hit me, it may have been done before already, but i'm not quite sure.

So Let Us Imagine, here is the scenario, take it as complete fact (hypothetically of course!)

You wake up, check the news, a new story has emerge, they have proven down to the bone, that there is NO god, and have unravelled every mystery to life, instantaneously!"

Now taking that statement as a complete fact. Bare with me.

1) Do you think you're day to day life would change.
2) Would you change your behaviour.
3) Would you be harsher to people.
4) Would you strive harder in life, knowing your legacy is all there is?
5) Would anything change, would you continue on praying, knowing 100% in your heart you're praying to nothing, but your own imagination.

Seriously, not debating the certain words in here, or a "gilmore girls" like play on words scenario, keep it simple.

What would you're life be like, if Atheism won, There is No God, at all in the universe.

I'm curious, don't post quick witty replies, (unless it's really good wit then go ahead
).

Take it seriously and think about it, think about the thought of being upset that you were lied to, think about how you're life has been effected by the lies, think about how you would change you're future, better yet, you're childrens future.

*This may be disturbin to some I know to think about, and some may even insist i'm the devil :p . I'm not only respond to this thread if you've seriously given it some thought.*

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

To tell you the truth, I have no idea what religion I would fall under...if any.

But if there wasn't a god, we would just be arguing over the reason why we are here, and where the universe came from.

Until those questions are answered, this would be just like me saying

"If 1+1 =/= 2! What would you do?"

I have no clue unless it actually happened!?!!? Then it would equal something else, and we would be arguing over something else as well.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist

To tell you the truth, I have no idea what religion I would fall under...if any.

But if there wasn't a god, we would just be arguing over the reason why we are here, and where the universe came from.

Until those questions are answered, this would be just like me saying

"If 1+1 =/= 2! What would you do?"

I have no clue unless it actually happened!?!!? Then it would equal something else, and we would be arguing over something else as well.

Oh no!

It's not about arguing, it's about personal life, hopefully that's not arguing, i'm sure it's not!

Would you're life change at all, if any, or completely?

It's not about what religion you are, even if you a agnostic, what in you're life would change.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Hi Republican08.. You where kind enough to make some time to reply to a few of my threads so I shall do the same for you

So lets keep it simple.. Its been stated as fact there is no God.. How would this change my life?

Hmmm.. Well honestly it wouldnt change much.. AS when I thought God was around I was doing stuff myself.. I never felt that God just hands me anything.. Anything I want.. I had to get of my own acord and workings..
I am not a big pray buff anyway.. So nothing changed on that front..

I would remain the same good person I am today.. I would still help people out where I could.. make sure those around me have food and a roof over their heads..
As again.. I am not afriad of God in that sense.. So I wouldnt change that part of my life style either.. I know in my heart theres nothing to Fear about God when you live your life helping others..

I don't think much would change for me.. Becasue in the end i always thought God was in my heart.. so that would have to change from God is in my heart.. To IM just me.. And now I am free of this burden of having to play out this FAKE role to others just so they allow me in their church..hehe

So over all I would think this would be a good thing.. It would honestly show peoples true colors..

Such as all the fear.. And doing the right thing.. Just to get in heaven..

Me.. I do good to do good.. Not to get a cushy seat in the afterlife...

Thanks for the thought provoking thread.. I hope I didnt go to far off on a tanget..
Tho my faith is much differnt than most.. but prehaps we can get into that another time!

Edit-- No matter how much you will want to keep this thread from heading into flame ville.. Expect some very mean answers.. That are pointed and maybe hurtful.. People that are extreamists are VERY protective about the whole idea of God.. They might get upset to even consider there is no God even in a hypothetical sense..
I get it.. And Do not mind answering you in a postive manner..
Hope everyone else can do the same..

[edit on 11-7-2009 by zysin5]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Morals....

Without a God we would need to rely on our better natures and our conscious. For me life would not change. Pain is still pain whether there is a god or not. I don't like all forms of pain. Emotional, Physical and yes "Spiritual" So I would not want to purposely cause my fellow human being any of it.

Here is another way of looking at it. If you were walking down the street and saw a very young child who is alone and they tripped and fell and hurt themselves do you help them out of the thought that it matters to god or do you think that child needs help.

I honestly think peoples answers change with age. Life's experiences have a way of altering what we once held important.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

No need to respond to my U2U then
. I understand now.

I tried to keep it as clean and without attacks nor down putting of it.

It's simply hypothetical, and if someone finds a wrong doing, and injustice against religion, I am willing to alter it, as long as it still does my thread justice.

I appreciate your honesty, as I am taking notes on pad, from all of this thread, and hopefully more to come!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I wouldn't mind. If there was no God then it would mean we really ARE merely Animals that have evolved a consciousness. That in itself is GODLike and would be enough for me to praise.
We are GODs of our Universe as far as we know. The kingdom is within you and I.

[edit on 11/7/09 by Nventual]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You brought up a good point, morals.

I'll try to add facts but i'll use my memory power strainfully to counter.

Genetically, I would see a child in need, and help, because the child is of my race, (the human race, which is altered by media views of black, yellow and white) I would help, because if one child is gone, this hurts me on a level, to where my need to help the child kicks in, to help my human race.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Genetically, I would see a child in need, and help, because the child is of my race, (the human race, which is altered by media views of black, yellow and white) I would help, because if one child is gone, this hurts me on a level, to where my need to help the child kicks in, to help my human race.

OK

Same scenario you are walking down the street and you see a man beating a tied up dog with a stick and the dog has obviously been abused for no real reason other than the man is mean. How would you feel?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
I wouldn't mind. If there was no God then it would mean we really ARE merely Animals that have evolved a consciousness. That in itself is GODLike and would be enough for me to praise.
We are GODs of our Universe as far as we know. The kingdom is within you and I.

[edit on 11/7/09 by Nventual]

We would merely be gods of destruction torture, and luxury.

We would be gods of a small blue planet, in a vastness of mystery tinily explained if gods at that.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
.....waits for ATS christian cabal to enter thread and derail it into oblivion.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I'm worried that these questions even have to be asked. Without a God or morals I thought people would still look out for animals and other humans.
Animals help other animals of their own kind (usually) and they don't have any religious beliefs.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   

We would be gods of a small blue planet, in a vastness of mystery tinily explained if gods at that.

It is sad that even without any belief system people would still torture and cause destruction.
If anything, the lack of God would show how insignificant we are and how much we should look out for each other.

I think the purpose for us is to observe what is around us, not to contribute or take anything away from the universe, but to just know it exists. That is why we created ourselves.. but that's another thread.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

OK

Same scenario you are walking down the street and you see a man beating a tied up dog with a stick and the dog has obviously been abused for no real reason other than the man is mean. How would you feel?

Because of the genetic trait I have, to help humans, when in need, I would express the feeling to help another animal (as which am I) to help the animal.

I would try to find the least resistance way, and try to help the animal, without harming another person of my race. Although if seen that the same race as I, was of a madness thinking, and was not capably right, and wished harm on anything, since he/she'd be beating an animal, that would not seperate he/she from beating a human, and I would also stop, so that behaviour would be discontinued, before it grew to affect my race also.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Simple answer: God or not, you gonna know it the day you die.

in my everydays life it dont change anythings

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by OTTOKARMA
Simple answer: God or not, you gonna know it the day you die.

in my everydays life it dont change anythings

So believing in a personal god, wouldn't change you're life in the least bit.

Would you still attend, mass, church, mosque, still knowing that 100% it doesn't exist.

Do you think you're life would be different if you weren't indoctrinated into one as a child?

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by contemplator
.....waits for ATS christian cabal to enter thread and derail it into oblivion.

Don't wait for them, post what you think of the threads contents please

I for one would appreciate it!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

I would try to find the least resistance way, and try to help the animal, without harming another person of my race. Although if seen that the same race as I, was of a madness thinking, and was not capably right, and wished harm on anything, since he/she'd be beating an animal, that would not seperate he/she from beating a human, and I would also stop, so that behaviour would be discontinued, before it grew to affect my race also.

Good now the problem....

Sometimes force and pain would become a necessity in order to reduce the over all or greater pain and suffering. It's a balancing act. We then go to a primitive value system.

Genetic?
Maybe

learned prosses from a success/failure mechanism?
Possibly.

I think it's more based on feelings. We feel for that human or animal and want or feel a need for something to do to alter the situation. We fall back on a basic Advantage/Disadvantage thinking.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual

It is sad that even without any belief system people would still torture and cause destruction.
If anything, the lack of God would show how insignificant we are and how much we should look out for each other.

I think the purpose for us is to observe what is around us, not to contribute or take anything away from the universe, but to just know it exists. That is why we created ourselves.. but that's another thread.

That is my point mainly, there is no purpose to life.

It isn't sad that people would go to destruction and torture (although you seemingly purposely left out luxury) because, you prove a right mindset, which many others would point out as well. Test post really...

The point were I lost my faith (need this not disrupt the thread) was I found a terrible time in life, and recovered, and in recovery found something.

Life is so small and meaningless, but yet, we are here, and logical thinking, that we shoudl in all honesty feel boastfull enough to say a god created us in his.her image.

But the life of a human, is so extreme as is, that without a god, it would seem to prove that our lives would be made better, by accepting that it is it, and we must do our best genetically for the future generations of our race, races, and nature.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Good now the problem....

Sometimes force and pain would become a necessity in order to reduce the over all or greater pain and suffering. It's a balancing act. We then go to a primitive value system.

Genetic?
Maybe

learned prosses from a success/failure mechanism?
Possibly.

I think it's more based on feelings. We feel for that human or animal and want or feel a need for something to do to alter the situation. We fall back on a basic Advantage/Disadvantage thinking.

Learned process, as it not a new calculus problem, but as in generations.

I'm sure sex was a very vital thing to evolution ( I said it yeah) To reproduce, there must of been a reward a motivation for it, hence orgasm, or the act itself in the release of dopamine in it. Which makes us yearn for reproduction (although "rightfully" supressed these days).

Feelings also, are an adaptable method for morals, which morals is an finalization of the problem.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join