It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Survival Equipment List, And a Little Know How

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
What one needs is really a personal endeavor. Each person will require certain things that others may not. So much depends on climate, country, experiences,and personal preference. I recommend that you plan accordingly. From your list there are several things I could do without. This isn't a slam about you or your kit. For me I could do without a flare gun. When I go, it will be because people are looking for me and I won't want to be found. As one example. For me that would just be dead weight.

So much depends on what you are trying to accomplish. For me I have a EDC bag that goes with me everywhere. I would link to my post if I knew how. For others that is too much to carry on a regular basis. I am also more skilled than most in primitive living and am more use to those ways of living. Others will find my list to small. Still yet some will find it necessary to provide for others in their party. There is so much that is dependent on your personal needs. Please just use any reference for a guideline only and devise a kit that will work for you.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Sorry for the lateness of my reply. I am out of town most weekends.

In most non-catastrophic survival events (Most natural disasters fall into this category) money would still be useful, but power may be down so using credit cards at some locations may be out of the question.

In world altering catastrophe, most people that hadn’t prepared wouldn’t really understand what was going on at first. Even in extreme situations human greed still runs rampant, and money would probably retain value for a little while at least.

I have heard that you should have commodities like gold and silver, but if the world was that bad off the only thing that would be worth anything would be food, water, clothing, and other supplies. The only situation gold and silver comes in handy for is economic collapse (which we may be headed for).

So you should stock up on other forms of currency like gold, but if the situation doesn’t call for it don’t weight yourself down with it. Burry it/hide it and come back for it if the world starts to piece itself back together. Otherwise forget it, it would be as valuable as a rock in many apocalyptic scenarios.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

Like I said in my last response above, I am Sorry for the lateness of my reply. I am out of town most weekends.

You are of course right. I admittedly have less firsthand experience than I would like too in survival situations. But I do have lots of training in primitive survival (trapping animals and fish, a fairly complete knowledge of edible fruits, nuts, and roots in my area and were to find them etc). I was taught how to make boards from logs for a shanty, and even how to make a log cabin. (I figured I’d make the shanty to live in first, because it would take less time, and then slowly build a log cabin)

So I am confident in my ability for long term survival. The length of my list is because it involves possible needs for many different situations. I can’t imagine a situation where I would need all of it, so most of it would be left behind.

It is also so long because I have less firsthand experience than many survivalists. I figured that I may need a little extra help at first while I am getting used to wilderness/post apocalyptic survival. But like you said, we all have different things we will need depending on who we are and our experience level. The way I see it; its best I accept my possible weaknesses and prepare for them instead of being overly confident based on my training and regretting it.

Thank you for your reply, and if the poo hits the fan I hope the best for all of us who are preparing now.

Good Luck

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by NRA4ever333

So i'm now wondering why the media are trying to get people to sell their gold?

Over here at least, there are companies advertising for people to SELL YOUR GOLD, IT'S NEVER BEEN A BETTER TIME' blah blah blah..... so why are they advertising for gold if this could be the only bartering tool if all systems fail and the world collapses?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I couldn’t really say, they may want your gold because they know what might be ahead. Or they may genuinely want you to take advantage of the high gold prices.

I know most of my sources keep saying to buy more gold. My brother is in accounting, and he says to buy gold because if things keep going the way they are the American dollar won’t be worth the paper it’s printed on.

But as long as there is an economy, and a relatively stable government, gold will always retain value. Even if the dollar plummets gold prices will remain relatively unaffected, it may even increase in value.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Great ideas around here.

Missed "sun blocker" in your list.

As it was said before, survival depends much on one's personal situation and nature. For myself I have to deal with Earthquakes and Volcanoes (living in the Andeas). For being at 1000m / 3,300 ft over sea level, I do not have to fear flooding or tsunamis.

For us here, the highest dooms-chance is Earthquake, no doubt. You have two different situations.

1) Your home is not or only slightly damaged and you have to camp outside for a few days. Your heavy gear will be still at home, for defence, once you get back into your house.

2) But if your house is seriously damaged, you have to move on. Forget about Insurance, rebuilding in short time, etc. As living in a big city, you have to move out to the country side. Forget about your car. You probably have to hike. You can carry only some 40 kg / 80 lbs with you. Now that's the most serious challenge to prepare for. What to take and what to leave.

The best would be to prepare your close friends, "nice" neighbours, etc. and go as a group. Your chances are higher to survive, not being like Rambo.

For the gadgets, I found the following link regarding "night vision".

Have fun

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Thanks for your lists everyone. There are quite of few things I just didn't think about. I guess I'll add what I think might be helpful in survival situation that weren't on the lists.
1) Organic Chia Seed - Best survival food that I've researched, don't know about the taste though. It sustained the Apache Indians and I think they were the last to survive because of this amazing food source.

2) Aluminum Free Baking Soda (Do NOT use Aluminum Baking Soda) - (So many uses I can't think of them all right now but to name a few)
a. Can be used for athletes foot
b. Deodarant - you don't want the enemy or grizzlies to smell you a mile away
c. Brushing your teeth; much better than poisonous Fluoride toothpaste that rots your brain cells. Gotta take care of those teeth because it'll be hard to run to the dentist.
d. Washing your hair - works great for that
e. Washing your dishes and your clothes
f. Bug bites too
g. Upset tummy or heartburn
h. Making biscuits or dumplings

3) Survivors of WWIII always say to have Oil - I know oil can be used to suffocate Lice for people in the south although you could probably get that in the North too. What about tics? I need to find out how to get rid of that, yuck!

Super Flu Tonic ingredients: ginger garlic horseradish onion jalapeno and raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar let sit for 2 wks - supposed to kick viral and bacterial stuff. Might wanna think about having seeds on hand to grow this stuff too.

4) Also, they just released GM Mosquitos - So I definitely would have something beside bugspray to repel them like Peppermint or Oregano Oil, Catnip, Mint or Rosemary. I hear Vanilla extract is a good mosquito repellant, but it does attract bears. Geez, so much to think about but you can never be too prepared, I guess.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
One thing I never see listed is a good quality magnifying glass.
It is great for starting fires with paper or twigs. All you need of
course is a little sunshine. It would be a life saver if you happen
to run out of matches or lighters or fuel.
edit on 1-12-2010 by endtimer because: spelling

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Correct me if I am wrong. I did not see the US ARMY FM manuals listed. The knowledge and experience of Military Combat Tactics shall play a huge role and as you mentioned, the proficiency in the use of tactical weapons, be it "extreme long range", "long range", "intermediate", "short range" and "up close and personal" shall be vital to survival. I did not see the mention of NVG's due to the fact that batteries will run out of power. You are aware that with the exception of "passive light systems", any one using even 1st gen. NVG. can see your FLIR, even a lit cigarette or any light form at 3/4 of a mile or better. The enemy shall be using Night Vision equipment. To level the playing field it would be advisable to have those things in your "kit" as well. Here are a few suggestions: "Light and noise discipline". Anything that shines or makes a sound while "on the move" or at base camp could potentially give away your position. Camp fires are good for giving away positions. Running a "cold camp" is another option in maintaining "light, noise and smell" discipline. Choose your "ground" carefully.

www.night-optics.com...#

Using the ATN/PS 22 "3g" will not effect the "dope" of your scope as it is a "forward mounted" unit. (good to 600 yards at night) The NG/PVS-14 "3g". unit is very capable and an excellent unit.

One other site you might be interested in is:

www.ultimatesniper.com...

In the event that you decide to purchase a book, may I suggest getting the Majors book (Ultimate Sniper New Edition). He served three tours in the "nam" as Special Forces, Green Beret. He knows what hew is talking about.

Because you shall be using "stealth", they shall not be able to see, hear, feel or smell you which would give your position away. There are "Ghillie suits" that when worn correctly are impervious to FLIR. The major mentions and shows these in his book. They are heavy and extremely "hot" especially during the summer months, and extremely heavy when they get wet but are well worth the protection from "Predator Drone FLIR" or other FLIR units. The Army FM manuals can be found at :

www.cheaperthandirt.com...

Here is a site that "offers" a "silent unit" and is well worth looking into as well:

www.tac15.com...

Hope this will be a help to you. The "list" you gave is excellent. Great job!

Scoutsniper

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Besides, even if nothing catastrophic happens most of the following Items can still come in handy during natural disasters, extended power outages, civil unrest, and the countless situations I haven’t thought of.

That's pretty much it, isn't it? I mean, when it comes down to it, most of these kinds of supplies aren't paranoid, it's just a good idea to have on hand.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

"It is better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it". Yes I agree.

Scoutsniper

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Zetatalk.com/poleshift suggests you wont have to wait long as the forsee a pole shift event Dec.17th...sleep well

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I needed to add this to the list of survival gear. If they can track you, then they can find you.

This is important when it comes to living "off the grid" There are two useful pieces of equipment that are needed in addition to all the equipment needed to Live off the grid.

One is a detection devise that will show you where RFID chips have been imbedded into any product.

www.amazon.com...=asc_df_B003IGPVU21355697?smid=A3SPLR0MSOYZ8O&tag=nextagusmp0357647-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASI N=B003IGPVU2

The other is equipment to "degauss" that RFID chip after you have detected it. This will destroy the chip and prevent it from radiating any signal.

www.nextag.com...

Almost every major retailer has placed these chips into almost every product including car or truck tires. To remove these threats of having "Big Brother" spying and tracking you, they must be neutralized. The degaussing wand will do that after you find it using the "bug sweeper". The one listed here will also produce "white noise" which means that no one can listen to your private conversations using Laser listening systems.

www.electromax.com...

This is crucial as we all know that cameras, listening devices and tracking devices installed in cars, are watching and tracking us. Clothes and just about everything that costs over a dollar has an RFID chip implanted into it. Credit cards, drivers licenses, money etc have chips.

www.creditcards.com...

Here are some "pointers" in how to level the playing field.

www.ehow.com...

These chips are everywhere. Do a weapons check. The chips have been installed on certain weapons as well. "Check your gear"

Scoutsniper

top topics

<< 1   >>

join