It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Challenge to all of ATS far and wide.. If you have it in you.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snisha
I have for many years considered it my duty to lend assistance to anyone I happen upon who is in dire need or distress. Young/old, rich/poor, any race, ANYONE, ANYTIME, PERIOD.

I've changed countless tires of stranded motorists, rescued accident victims from twisted wreckage, assisted individuals who were about to have the shat kicked out of them by groups of thugs.

All of these folks were appreciative, many offered money.

I tell them ALL the same thing in response ...

If you want to pay me back, just help someone that you see is in need one day!

To me this represents the ultimate purpose of existence.(at least mine)

Ditto on this from me. Right now I am helping a functional illiterate get through paperwork and legal issues. But I have given rides (when I had a car), stopped for stranded folks, bought food for the hungry, made beds, done dishes, even paid bills (when I had money) for others.

It is a life choice for me. And the more who make this choice...the better.

Thanks OP!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Well, it didn't take me long to follow through on this idea! On my way home from work today, I stopped at Burger King for lunch. On my way in I noticed one of those private ambulances that they use here for transporting patients from one hospital to another. The driver of this ambulance, in full uniform with his name proudlly displayed on it, was in front of me in line. For those not familiar with it, BK is currently running a promotion for the movie Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen with instant win scratch off coupons on french fry boxes and drink cups.

Well, this guy presented his 'winner' (and it was the only thing he wanted), and the counter girl taking orders politely informed him that he would have to wait just a moment until the manager came back up front to claim his prize as it required the manager to swipe her card to complete the order. Well, I cannot repeat what came out of his mouth next, as it would be an Extreme T & C violation. Let me just say that several F-Bombs were dropped and the intelligence and sanity of the company, the manager and the poor girl at the register were called into question. During his tirade, this thread popped into my mind.

"Excuse me, Sir", I calmly said to the man, "This poor young lady is just trying to do her job as she was trained and instructed, and does not deserve to be treated the way you are treating her. How would you feel if someone treated your daughter, your wife or your mother in this way if they were simply doing their job?"

You could just see all the wind being knocked out of his sails with this question. He threw his 'winning' game peice at the girl, said "F___ this place!" and then turned to me and looked me dead in the eyes and said, "And F___ YOU!!!", and spun around and headed for the door. I simply smiled and replied, "And you have a wonderful day as well, Sir!" (Which is soooooooo out of character for me! I would usually respond with a remark on how I don't mate outside of my own species!)

The young lady just looked at me dumbfounded and said, "Thank you!"

"You're quite welcome!", I replied. "I just ask that you do me one favor."

She had a puzzled look on her face. "Pass it on!" Even more puzzled look. "A random act of kindness! Pass it on!"

You could just see it dawn on her face as to what I meant, and she began to smile a big smile! "I most certainly will! Thank you! Now will this be for here or to go?"

While I was sitting there eating my lunch, she looked over in my direction several times, as if in complete disbelief, and each time gave me a big toothy grin! On my way out the door, she said loudly, "You have a great day, Sir!"

"You too!", I replied.

This gives me great hope that together we can actually make a difference, one act of kindness at a time! Thank you, DaMod, for an absolutely wonderful idea! I plan to do this at every opportunity!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Yes, it's really a type of spiritual warfare in a way, and it's very powerful and on the right side of the cosmic equation.

And if the odd person blows their lid in the presence of it, and there will be the occasional reaction like that (it's called being persecuted for the sake of righteousness), best to just remain clam and pray for that person, and try to have compassion on THEM as well, becauyse they are in need of it the most.

I just brightened a colleague's day today with a gift, but she's really a friend, so it doesn't count.

I think the greater the EXTENSION, towards strangers, and even those who are undeserving of a kindness, the better.

And for those who talk about enabling or who poo poo on the idea, or who say this ought to be just par for the course - hey if you don't have anything of value to contribute to this thread and concept, why bother posting to it?

This thread is for those who take this seriously, and who really want to make a difference and change the world, in whatever way however big or small, even one person at a time.

It flies in the face of the status quo or what is considered normal.

Also, reporting your deeds here in this thread, isn't bragging, it's inspirational.

So get out of our way naysayers, we've got important work to do here.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I dont know if this falls under good deeds. But I was at wal-mart and using self check out and the people before must have gotten money back $20 and forgot it and left it in the cash/change. I looked for them in the parking lot and couldnt find them. So I took the $20 (to give to a less fortunate person) and the next day I gave it to a homeless guy who sales newspaper on the corner. (I have spoken to him many times )This guy, doesnt do drugs or anything like that, he has never even ask me for money before. He actually is a normal person just homeless, He is really smart.

You now now adays if you just say please and thank you and smile its a lot more than what most do.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
There are many cultural differences that you may need to consider. I live in a culture that considers people idiots that offer help to the unfortunate. By honor I am bound to help the less fortunate but am considered stupid by the people that I help and those that have seen me help. I consider it to be something given freely from my heart and ignore the criticism as I go through this life. I do not seek reward or recognition for my acts because that is reserved for my own spirit and know no other way due to the way I was raised. I have given more than I should have given but my heart gives me hope and thanks enough. We should all help those in need regardless of their circumstance. Walk a mile in their shoes because you never know when you may wear similar ones. Peace and love to all.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
nice thread! i do this often as im a firm believer in Karma. I will come back and tell you about it the next time it happens

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
God.I do this everyday.Opening doors for pregnant women.Helping elderly people and giving good advice to people in need.Helping the sick and poor brings a smile to there face.Of course there people out there that still care.Not everyone is stone cold.

[edit on 10-7-2009 by GORGANTHIUM]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I try to do R.A.O.K every day.
So, what did I do yesterday?

I took a bag of cranberries to the beach to share with the workers from Bangladesh.
The migrants walk around on the blistering sand all day selling sun towels and jewelry for a living.

When one man I've seen often came by where I was taking some sun - I first, greeted him with an honorary title in his own tongue (hamascar or nomaashkaar) and then spilled a handful of cranberries into his hand.
(He’d never had them before - they were imported from the USA).
I told them it was for energy! (I didn’t tell him I’m eating them cause I have a horrid UTI)...(Too much info huh)...
I stumbled over the words to wish him a good day and take care to stay out of the sun and I hoped the wind would be with him, the best I could in his native tongue.

What else?

There’s a little abandoned kitten at the place where I work.
I can’t take it *in* or I will loose my meager one room place I get tot stay.
I bought some flea spray and while the little sweetie wolfed down a pack of cat food (moist kind) I sprayed it with the flea spray.
Cost me 16.80 Euro.
I make 20 Euro a day.

There.
What’s the big deal.
It’s just being kind.

But what’s the point in telling *good* takes here?
Doesn’t it detract from them?

Nice thread though...

peace

[edit on 10-7-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Today I gave bought a magazine from a street vendor, but didn't take the magazine. I just gave him the cash plus extra.

I just felt that he needed it more than I do, even though I am on a tight budget at the moment.

Really think this is a great forum!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Yesterday I gave a destitute friend $50. I had no intention of doing that, I pulled the $$$ for other reasons. But when I saw her and she told me she had just spent her last 10 bucks and was desperately hoping she would get a small deposit on her next job, I remembered reading this thread and gave her the $50.

I felt better

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
This isn't really recent it was about 2 or 3 years ago.. I live in a pretty decent area and coming back from a meal with parents saw this homeless guy walking along the road, he was really old and I've seen him a few times. Got back home felt like crap that I'd been out for a meal and this guy was just wandering about so just took loads of crap out of the fridge, and fruit - stuff like that, filled me pockets and went looking for him.

Found him asleep on a wall about 10 minutes from my house and just left him all the stuff, I don't think anyone else had even noticed him around cos where I live is really quiet.

Apparently 1 of my mates actually saw him the next day and he was walking past my mates house eating the fruit, just wish I could have seen his face

[edit on 10-7-2009 by ItsallCrazy]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I accept the Challenge. Can't wait to share though
S&F

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Today I was paying a cheque into the bank today and the lady behind seemed a bit agitated and kept looking at her watch. I was at the head of the queue and I let her go in front of me.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I just want to point out the real reason we should be doing these things.

1. NOT because it makes us feel better
2. NOT because of good karma that may come back to us

BUT JUST BECAUSE WE CAN

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Beautiful thread. And I sure do hope it spreads like wildfire. This thread released a selfish fear I had and now I will start being more kind. Thankyou.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
it kind of sounds like another "pay it forward" thing, really great idea!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Today, someone did a good deed for me.

I was working on a computer for my in laws that I made out of parts here and parts there and a mobo, cpu, and ram i bought from a local computer shop in a piece of crap case. Needless today this machine had some srs problems right off the bat. It was hard to understand because everything was installed correctly and whatnot and eventually the machine just stopped booting entirely even when just trying to boot the mobo (with the pci and pci-e cards too). I finally said screw it and took it back up to the shop just to find out what was wrong with it. He told me to sign a work order and leave it there. He really understood that I was doing someone a favor and it was blowing up in my face.

Today he calls me and tells me the problem all along is that my pci sound card that I put in there was bad. It was causing everything and to come pick up the computer and I would be pleasantly surprised.

I show up at the shop and before me is a computer in a brand new case with all new out of box parts. A brand new SATA HD, DVD burner and a reader (2 drives), awesome vid card and a sweet Crisco wireless card (you know a coaxial antenna card.) and a legit copy of windows xp professional already registered. You know what he charged me? $0.00 He said he just felt like doing a good deed for someone.

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
It may not count due to it being family but, we gave my cousin a few thousand to help out because her husband just passed away and since he had lost his job and insurance she was stuck with a funeral cost that she couldn't afford because her insurance was the suck. The whole family pitched in though.

I'm doing some work for a retirement home to help raise some funds. I have been put in charge of casting because it will be a multiple genre music album from some of the locals plus a concert event this fall.

We were having problems getting a rock type music selection so I'm doing that and have written two songs and enticed a few old friends to come out of the woodwork. Everything has to be under "Creative Commons" licensing to avoid any copyright problems so the music must be original. The staff at the retirement home is already sharing so, we're the people passing it along.

It is amazing at the generosity of the local companies that are behind this even with a very tough economy for this area.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I was just kind of checking back to see if anyone has anything to report. Also this thread need a single bump just to kind of extend it's very important life. Hope to hear back!

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join