It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Challenge to all of ATS far and wide.. If you have it in you.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+37 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
First I would like to say, that I cannot take full credit for this thread or idea. This idea came to me after having read a thread by realtruth. Kidness Will Make a Difference

I think everyone should read his op.

This post in this forum because it may also be considered an experiment in psychology.

The world has become a truly horrible place. Sure the natural beauty around us is astounding as ever, but society has become a haven for the cruel, greedy, self righteous, and power hungry. All we hear about in the MSM are stories of hate and murder, misery and greed, scandal and betrayal. We are surrounded by those only out for themselves and kindness has become a rare thing.

A little kindness can change the world.

"When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And, it'll become like a wildfire."--Whoopi Goldberg

And a wildfire it shall become starting right here in our little conspiratorial community.

Here is the challenge

I would like everyone here to do 3 things. (That is if you have the strength or will to do it)

1. You must go out at some point in the next few days and perform a random act of kindness. It could be anything as long as it could be considered a random act of kindness.

2. You may not accept any payment for the deed, and must follow up your act with these 3 words. "Pass it on"

3. Then I want you to come back here and tell the story of your deed, so that I can see how the participation is going, and also to inspire others to do the same.

We have members here from all over the world and this could very well start a very pleasant chain reaction that I'm sure everyone here would agree the world needs more of.

So go now and uphold my challenge to report back later with tales of your good deed so that others may find the kindness in themselves to do the same! No matter what the outcome, you will have made someones day, week, or month and that is payment enough.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Yes i think kindness is needed.

What i think would be even more valuable is honesty. To many people on ATS lie for attention. Tons of people claiming things only for their own ego boost... for example claiming to be moving objects from across the room with their mind.

If people lost the desire to lie on internet forums to feel important ATS would be a much kinder place... its the liars that bring out the worst in all of us, because they hurt everyone of us searching for truth.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

If anybody has any questions about this challenge, there is a wonderful movie called "Pay it Forward."

While Hollywierd is full of a lot of fluff and nonsense a lot of the time, this particular movie shows how a little gesture can start a momentum to change quite a few lives.

I'm going to take this challenge starting today. My sister-in-law says she's making supper for us, and I'm going to make her favorite dessert as a surprise without being asked.

Coconut cream pie, anyone?

Then I'm going to really freak her out and do all the dishes, too!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I'll accept the challenge. I will admit to being one of the instigators of hate and misery in the lives of otheres around me, so I will change my ways for one day and see what happens

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I'll accept your challenge as well, although I must say that it won't be much of a departure from my normal days.

I think it's a great thing to revisit these ideas from time to time -- remind us of our humanity. Thank you!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I have for many years considered it my duty to lend assistance to anyone I happen upon who is in dire need or distress. Young/old, rich/poor, any race, ANYONE, ANYTIME, PERIOD.

I've changed countless tires of stranded motorists, rescued accident victims from twisted wreckage, assisted individuals who were about to have the shat kicked out of them by groups of thugs.

All of these folks were appreciative, many offered money.

I tell them ALL the same thing in response ...

If you want to pay me back, just help someone that you see is in need one day!

To me this represents the ultimate purpose of existence.(at least mine)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I got an email very similar to this idea a while ago,and it really did make me think.
Obviously I am kind all the time as I have six children who don't realise there is no washing-up fairy,and no pixies who clean their rooms!

I did give a guy in town my last £5 a couple of days ago ,he did'nt ask and was not begging but he was sat on the flooor looking like he needed a good meal inside him I said I was sorry I did'nt have more,and he was so shocked he nearly did'nt take it.

But this was not a situation I could say "Pass it on " so I will try and do something else worthy of your challenge.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I was literally coming to my computer to make a thread exactly like this one! Talk about synchronicity!

Well done DaMod. There is nothing better for the soul than helping out others with no expectation of something in return. No matter how bad my day is, if i can out a smile on a strangers face, it fills me up with love and energy.

I accept your challenge and hope there is a lot of starring and flagging going on for this one.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Some of us do these things whenever we can. Today I shot 3 rabbits who were eating the flower garden of a local grandmother who cant even do anything more than water said flowers, much less replant.

This "challenge" shoult stop here, if you have a genuine care for your fellow man, this kind of thing will come almost naturally.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Kind of defeats the whole selfless service thing and isn't this the same as oprah s challenge?

Anyway, just remember no good deed goes unpunished...

Be careful setting out to be a do gooder...

And besides all that, I like it, do it all the time.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I myself am always willing to help someone out no matter who they are or where they come from. I can recall a recent incident where I was having breakfast where I did every morning until I moved. I was chatting with an older gentleman who was a tourist to the area. We had a nice conversation over breakfast. He told me about England and I told him about FL. Well he left before me and when I went inside to pay he already paid for my breakfast. He told the lady he wanted to make my day and start it off right. I was shocked! I only met this man once and I could never thank him but I will always remember that day because he truly did make my day. He didnt know me and had no intentions other than to start my day off good. I have done things like this as well my entire life. It was the way I was raised. I am a very giving person and it doesnt matter if I know you or not. I also have other stories where complete strangers have helped me without ever asking for anything in return. For me it makes me feel good to make someones day.

One story I remember if this counts...Was about 8 years ago. Long story short, my ex and I were having dinner at a local restaurant and our waitress seemed really upset. It was the holiday season so we thought holiday stress. She was still polite and the service was great. Well my ex having the huge heart he has, said he wanted to make her day and left her a 100 dollar tip. Well she immediately started crying, that was then that we found out why she was so upset. She had three kids and was upset because she had no money to buy them gifts for Christmas even after working many doubles and she didnt want them to go without. Well when she said that my ex gave her another hundred and said make it a great Christmas. To this day when we see her she is always thanking us. We have even met her kids. She is now manager of the restaurant we first met her at. My ex is probably the most giving and selfless person I have ever met. He would help anyone no matter what. He is always volunteering and doing for others. It is just who he is.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Because this is an experiment for the good I'll participate.

I will be nice to my husband, show him respect and adoration just to see what happens.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I refuse your challenge!!

But I will take it up as an invitation!

It's a real nice thing to do and yeah, hopefully, it'll trigger off more of the same, which can only ever be a good thing!

And remember folks, do this anywhere, anytime, as often as is humanly possible!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Gave a hurting street kid 20 bucks today, and he assured me he would pay it forward in some form of spontaneous act of kindness. He really brightened up when I helped him out, and I do believe was hungry and was going to spend it on food, but that's his business.

So I did my deed for the day.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This is such a simple challenge guys, really. If you cannot perform ONE random act of kindness for another human being, that's sad. Seriously sit and think about that for a second...you're too busy / cool / important / smart / funny / whatever to help out another human being?

I work in an office with a lot of doctors and a lot of senior citizens come in and out all day long. Do you know what opening a door for a struggling little old lady or helping someone to their car means to them? Not only do they appreciate it, but it shows that SOME people still have a heart.

I'll never forget this one...I was on a cig break, two older ladies pulled up and were completely lost. The one lady was about to miss a dr. appointment she had to schedule a month in advance. So a co-worker calmed them down while i ran upstairs, found the doctors office, printed directions and highlighted a route for them. This little old lady was in tears of happiness, I kid you not. It took us all of about 10 minutes and they were on their way.

It felt AWESOME to know that I had just helped someone in need, like a truly good feeling inside. If you're an instigator of hate / evil / etc. you should really give this a try. See how it makes you feel. If nothing else, you'll feel nothing out of the ordinary.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
i find this idea to be miraculous. but i hope that humans will eventually find this as a state of mind. i consider it selfessness over selfishness. i truly feel this mentality when i remind myself that everybody has and acts out of feelings. words are nothing more than an expression thereof. and words come cheap.

if we could stay in and thrive in this compassionate, positive mindset, i believe this will bring about the unity and enlightenment some of us are hoping for at this coming age of aquarius.

thank you so much for starting this. let the games begin!!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I've been doing this for years. It started as an experiment. Someone told me that, if I did this, I would find that the world tended to treat me better. I thought this was pure BS, but I gave it a try. Worked for me. My motivation was originally very selfish, but now it's just a habit.

You can always find someone who's hurting in some way. If you can't offer them food or money, you can still offer a smile and a kind word, a sympathetic ear, something. Even if you're completely broke, you have something to offer.

When you are doing your kindness, along with telling the person "pass it on", remember to tell them "thank you". Your opportunity to do an act of kindness is a gift to you. Remember to be grateful for that gift by thanking the person who made it possible.

As Kahlil Gibran said about giving:

You often say, "I would give, but only to the deserving."
The trees in your orchard say not so, nor the flocks in your pasture.
They give that they may live, for to withhold is to perish.
Surely he who is worthy to receive his days and his nights, is worthy of all else from you.

From www.katsandogz.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Much like the movie Pay it forward.....I have never fully watched that movie.. The ending I know is sad... But just the point,, we should all pay it foward no matter how big or small the deed is.

Selfishness got us following the wrong direction, wrong information always shown by the media, negative images in the main criteria. Black eyed peas-Where is the love... I Love that song....

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I do the random acts of kindness thing all the time, its a great way to make you feel better about the world, and the human condition

i have never asked anyone to pay it forward tho, that'll be new, and personally i think the hardest part.

but hey if this kid can do it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/34b9f8634f0f.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Today I made three 13 X 11 sheet cakes and brought them down for dessert to the local Soap Kitchen. Actually I do this often, how do I ask them to pass it on, or is this just a freebie?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join