It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Challenge to all of ATS far and wide.. If you have it in you.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

You just made my day! I constantly help the little guys out, no matter who is looking at me and laughing! After all, we are one includes everything! Thank you for your contributions!

A month ago I was driving down a semi busy street and a little starling was hopping into the middle of the road with something in it's beak.. I look over to the yellow center line and there is this baby bird waiting for food. It all had to happen so fast, I stopped the car, waved the oncoming car to stop, grabbed the baby bird and shooed the mommy away. It must have fallen in the street, no way it would have made it one more second .. smoosh! I took it to the local native animal rescue for healing

They all appreciate it, I believe.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GorehoundLarry

Originally posted by OmegaPoint
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

There's no gain in that. The key is to be kind and generous in spite of, or regardless of what the other person does - then there's real progress.

Some people...

What? F that. If someone's tailgating my a$$, I'm not going to be kind to them. Same with people who cut you off. Such wankers if you ask me. I'll be kind to those who are good at driving.

p.s- is it me or do some people on this site take things too seriously? Lighten up. You can't be serious on here unless it involves Obama taking away freedom.
[edit on 8-7-2009 by GorehoundLarry]

[edit on 8-7-2009 by GorehoundLarry]

Just know that many of us are sending you positive thoughts. In releasing your anger, you will free your self. My best to you and yours.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I took in a homeless teen who's alcoholic mom kicked her out..(dad's in jail.)
Tried my best to help her turn her life around, but alas, wasn't meant to be.
She stayed with us for 2 months then moved on. I bought her clothes, food, anything she needed. Wish I could have helped her more..oh well.
Didn't deter me though, I took in another..a friend of my son's who has been couch surfing for months.This kids smart as a whip..been through more than any 18 year old should, and knows right from wrong. Great set of morals, just a victim of circumstances.
I'll give and give..as much as I can.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Star and Flag OP

Very nice, very nice...

But why an experiment?

damn if I could muster that every single day....

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I dunno man, get out more is all I can say.
Its not so bad out there.
I live in an awesome town and the city (san francisco) is pretty friendly as well.

I think there are more people being kind to one another than you may think. Still, its the big shots that are causing all the trouble.
Sticking together is the only thing we can do.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Accepted but I do random acts of kindness every chance I get... Like the idea though...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

What an absolutely brilliant idea! I'm in! I'll get back to you with the details once I have 'done the deed'! (Sorry, sarcasm is my native tongue!)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Glad i stumbled on this thread.

I found a girl sleeping in my car when i forgot to lock it. It was weird that it happened on monday . I let her sleep a little bit, of course feeling a little weird. I then went down after about 30 minutes and acted like i didnt know she was there and opened my side door, she woke up and panic and I said something along the lines of "whats going on here". She apologized profusedly about the situation. I asked her why she was sleeping in my car and she explained that she came from out of the state to visit her boyfriend and he kicked her out after a fight so she didn't have anywhere to go. I decided she must be hungry so i took her to ihop and she told me more about what happened. I gave her some money to take a bus back to Arizona and told her to take care. If i read this thread before this happened i would have told her to pass it on.

Ill do another deed this week if i see an oppurtunity and pass on this great message.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by LeTan]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I'll sit this one out.... I already had my day chewed up and spit out by inconsiderate and just plain mean primates. Like the spoiled brat who had his buddy pull up to my car which was parked at the opposite end of the parking lot (I was doing things in the strip mall away from the store)- and if I hadn't come out of the place, he'd have done something to my car. As it was, he had jumped out and was GOING to- til he saw me... Not 10 min later, I have 2 more A##oles insult me, and then a THIRD come up and yell in my ear!

That's 3 dipfricks in 30 minutes. Kindness may change the world, but a baseball bat with a nail thru it will certainly thin out the imbeciles a bit first.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I think there should be one change made to this challenge. Don't perform this random act of kindness in the next few days. You should perform these random acts whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I want to share something with you all.
My parents used to own a bar & restaurant on a very small island of the coast of Belize. One day a young woman who was backpacking through Central America came to our restaurant, claiming that she was told we could help her.
She was on the last leg of her trip and had a flight to catch at the airport on the mainland but had missed the last water taxi and the last plane from the tiny airfield on the island. She needed to make that flight as she was almost out of money and couldn't afford to make other arrangements.
My parents called the airfield. There was a Cessna that was just taking off from the next island over heading for the mainland. My dad convinced them to make a quick stop on our island to pick up this young lady. They said she had to hurry as the plane was only minutes from us and once it landed it could not wait.
So, we got her on our golf cart (the main mode of transport on the island) and rushed her to the airfield and she made her flight.
Now, one of the local women who worked for my parents asked, "Why did you help her, she never ate at your restaurant? And she was leaving so she never would eat here." My mom replied, "What goes around comes around". Obviously this woman didn't get it.

This was years ago. This next one, unfortunately, doesn't have such a happy ending..

My dad was recently living New York. He lived next to a government funded building so you can imagine the types of low life's who lived there.
Anyhow, this black guy, who said he was a recovering crackhead, was going round the building asking for change. He said he needed money to get the train to a free clinic where they had agreed to operate on his hernia. My dad said the guy looked like he was in genuine pain.
My dad, obviously not trusting a crackhead, said to him "look, I'm not an idiot, but you do look like you need help. I won't give you money, but you can keep the money you have and I'll take you to the clinic".
The guy was over the moon. They agreed that he would come back in the morning and my dad would take him to clinic before work. Unfortunately, my dad has seen better years and his memory isn't what it used to be and he forgot and left for work early. The neighbor said that the guy was banging on my dad's door for 20 minutes before he gave up and left. He died that evening. My dad is still a little torn up about it.

As you can see, the lessons I've learnt from my parents are that you should always help others if you have the opportunity. I've lived my life by this and it's never steered me wrong

I just want to finish with this. If you've never had someone stare you in the eye and truly and genuinely say "Thank You!", your missing out in life.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Done! Okay, there was a girl that didn't know if she was pregnant (im 16, shes 15), i bought her a pregnancy test, found out she was, and then took her to the clinic for an abortion SHE choose. I obviously did not have any say in the abortion, i just drove her 3 hours to get there, 3 hours back. i did not get paid, actually i spent $160 for food and gas. the girls mother did not find out, which was the girls main concern. this was 2 days ago, so it wasn't when this thread came out so i guess it doesn't count
told the girl to pass it on anyways a few mins ago. i will do more and post

[edit on 8-7-2009 by gandhi]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

If people lost the desire to lie on internet forums to feel important ATS would be a much kinder place... its the liars that bring out the worst in all of us, because they hurt everyone of us searching for truth.

very true....but if we choose to ignore those types of ppl there lies and hate will be useless. it depends on how much your desire to keep going in a positive direction. theyre will always be bad ppl out there but if what ive read is true about higher intelligent life exists on these universal rules than humans in doing this will soon come to realize that it IS okay to accept love and kindness from others. eveil begets evil. there is nothing good to come from it. just remember if YOU choose to actually ACT on this post thats all it actually takes. Me for example i have noticed it to as far as the ridiculous amounts of violence in the world but WE as a human race need to get past an eye for an eye way of life and know that it dosnt do any good....this aside one of my random acts of kindness is done in the way of that i currently live in a truley undesirable and unclean house....but since ive been here ive done a descent job of keeping it as clean as possible. and you might think well duh why wouldnt you, your living there arnt you? well when the ppl that you are living with have lived like this theyre whole lives its to be expected but this dosnt bother me cuz i know that whatever help i can do i will help but its up to that person to help themselves.....

ps very awsome post wish more cared as much as they say they do though and actually follow through

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

The world has become a truly horrible place. Sure the natural beauty around us is astounding as ever, but society has become a haven for the cruel, greedy, self righteous, and power hungry. All we hear about in the MSM are stories of hate and murder, misery and greed, scandal and betrayal. We are surrounded by those only out for themselves and kindness has become a rare thing.

Sorry, I disagree. Not that what you say is wrong. And you have an excellent idea. Its just that your description is not a complete reflection of society.

Example: My mom, the nutty fundamentalist christian lady who takes every word of the Bible literally and interprets it the way she sees fit goes every week to feed the poor and homeless. She picks up after them, serves them food and desert donated by dozens of charities, churches and busineses and then treats them with respect and kindness.

This coming from a lady who raised her sister and brother as her children as her own after their mom died at a young age. This from a lady who got nothing from a 35 year marriage after a bitter divorce, and who lost her home due to the housing crash. A house she worked 25 years civil service, with a tiny retirement that is her only means of support.

And thats not even a tenth of what she has been through. She is not the only one. I know others who have done things so utterly unselfish it is unthinkable. These people are the salt of the earth.

And they are everywhere.

So, even though what you say is true, it is equally true that the more you focus on that aspect the more you ignore the other side that is going on around you all the time.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by open_eyeballs]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

EXCELLENT AND MEANINGFUL THREAD.

I try and do this all the time myself.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
You know, this might not be a major change for some members, but there is one major aspect that I want to incorporate into my entire life.

To tell you the truth, I am not going to go out "searching" for a good deed...but I will do my best (remembering might be a bit of a pain) to tell every person that is affected by my positively to pass it on.

Except my wording of the sentence will be "Now it is your turn to do me a favor. If you ever find someone in need, help them out".

While "Pass it on" works, I want to get the point across.

Great idea...and so simple.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I'm in. Sounds like most of us are decent people already, but the added "pass it on" is what makes this experiment more worthy...exponentially.

Saved a girl drowning in a public pool once. Jumped in in all my clothes. It was just what anyone would do, but I run into the mother from time to time and she practically cries every time she sees me, and sadly I never even recognize her. It does feel good though to know I did good for someone.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Your post inspired me to join ATS...FINALLY! Look how much kindness your put forth!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
reply to post by DaMod

If anybody has any questions about this challenge, there is a wonderful movie called "Pay it Forward."

While Hollywierd is full of a lot of fluff and nonsense a lot of the time, this particular movie shows how a little gesture can start a momentum to change quite a few lives.

I'm going to take this challenge starting today. My sister-in-law says she's making supper for us, and I'm going to make her favorite dessert as a surprise without being asked.

Coconut cream pie, anyone?

Then I'm going to really freak her out and do all the dishes, too!

Good Movie...Not my usual style of movie but I was fortunate enough to be into a girl who wanted me to watch it with her......glad I did...

The message is simple, easy for anyone to do, free to do so there is no " it costs too much " excuse..

Possibly could take little or no time off your hands depending on what it is....

No excuse at all ..

There will never be a " I never have time to be nice" ....that don't fly considering how short of time it could take and how much time is in our lives....

And most important......Once you've done it because of this threads inspiration, you will then posibly/hopefully just start doing it on your own.

And that is the important thing......that you are not doing it to get anything out of it except to simply help somebody out.....

I have been trying to be nicer lately, and watch my comments to others and when I do say something not so friendly I have been quick to catch myself and let myself know that " I am Better than that"...

Great thread inspired by another great idea

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Toodles
I'll accept the challenge. I will admit to being one of the instigators of hate and misery in the lives of otheres around me, so I will change my ways for one day and see what happens

Aww You look so friendly though....lol jk...

You have already taken the first step in acknowledging that you have been part of the problem......That is key to making this turn around..

Good for you.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I'd accept this challenge, but it's already a part of my core values so that may be kinda redundant..
Or cheating!

Thanks OP! S&F!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join