It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Radar Aims to Detect Illegal Tunnels on U.S. Border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

New Radar Aims to Detect Illegal Tunnels on U.S. Border

news.yahoo.com

Radar technology could help U.S. border patrol agents spot underground tunnels dug by human smugglers and drug traffickers along the border, according to the Department of Homeland Security.

Tunnel diggers have been hard at work along the U.S. border in recent days and months, the agency knows. Of every tunnel ever found by a patrol agent, 60 percent were discovered in the last three years, and patrollers spot a new one every month.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com
www.livescience.com

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Sorry if this has been posted already. I did a search and turned up nothing.

Interesting that the DHS is just now equiping border agents with some pretty old technology, seeing how the tunnels have been a problem for quite some time.

I do think this is a step in the right direction for getting a stranglehold on illeagal immigration, not to mention the possibility of terrorists smuggling some sort of WMD into America.

Whats your thoughts on this guys?

news.yahoo.com

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieJesus

Sorry if this has been posted already. I did a search and turned up nothing.

Interesting that the DHS is just now equiping border agents with some pretty old technology, seeing how the tunnels have been a problem for quite some time.

I do think this is a step in the right direction for getting a stranglehold on illeagal immigration, not to mention the possibility of terrorists smuggling some sort of WMD into America.

Whats your thoughts on this guys?

news.yahoo.com

My thought is that we had no interest in securing our border or doing anything about this for at least the last 12 years, there has to be some ulterior motive.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Maybe we developed this technology for use on other planets? With all of the financial trouble the U.S. and the world are experiencing your thread is a perfect example of just one of the myriad of expensive black budget technology that is being developed, and in an obscure way I would think these releases are just the governments way of saying "yes we have the power, and we may use it on you" in a dark sinister voice, lol. Big brother can come and get you, no matter where you are...unless you are Usama bin Laden AKA Tim Osman

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Now all we need is a second device to collpase the tunnels while they are still in use.

There, I said it.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

My thought is that we had no interest in securing our border or doing anything about this for at least the last 12 years, there has to be some ulterior motive.

Good point, it does appear that way.
The scary part is, what could that ulterior motive be?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Now all we need is a second device to collpase the tunnels while they are still in use.

So what your saying is that America should purposely bury 100's, if not 1000's of innocent people alive because they are trying to make a better life for themselves?

Real classy

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieJesus

How are they innocent, they are breaking the law by crossing the border illegally.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

How are they innocent, they are breaking the law by crossing the border illegally.
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Innocent, no, but do they really deserve to be buried alive? That was the point i was making.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

So what your saying is that America should purposely bury 100's, if not 1000's of innocent people alive because they are trying to make a better life for themselves?

Real classy

The ones who tried to break into our home, and the ones who were caught stealing items from my dead friend's house in Phoenix certainly were trying to make a better life for themselves, with the belongings of others that is.

Get over yourself and do some reading, you plainly don't live near the border, otherwise you wouldn't be so ignorant of the violence we deal with every day down here.

www.usillegalaliens.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Well this is an invasion of privacy if I've ever seen one.

Poor people are just trying to get into the "castle" so that they can live in "civilization" and live the dream that the castle has provided!

This is just another case of America (The kingdom of the world) telling people they can't come through the drawbridge.

If you don't believe me, study the immigration policies of America compared to every other country in the world.

Who has the most restricted immigration?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

The ones who tried to break into our home, and the ones who were caught stealing items from my dead friend's house in Phoenix certainly were trying to make a better life for themselves, with the belongings of others that is.

Im truly sorry for you personal experience and loss.

Get over yourself and do some reading

I wasnt getting into myself, I was speaking on personal experience, just as you were. For your information, I have been working with immigrants (some legal, some not) for years, and quite frankly, they are just as disgusted at the crime and violence as the rest of us.

you plainly don't live near the border

Never said that I did.

otherwise you wouldn't be so ignorant of the violence we deal with every day down here.

You are correct on the fact that I am ignorant about the violence on a personal level, seeing how I dont live in or around the border, but I am not ignorant on what goes on down there.

The fact that a small percentage of illegal immigrants commit horrible crimes is no reason to label every mexican as a criminal. That is a very ignorant mindset that has led to some of the most atrocious events in history, and it is still going on today.

I personally do not approve of, or for that matter, even like illegal immigration. I do feel we need to tighten border security and increase deportation, but I do not feel being ignorant and bigoted is going to solve the problem.

In my opinion, your comment was in bad taste, but thats your American right to have you own opinions and express them too.

Peace,
-ZJ

[edit on 1-7-2009 by ZombieJesus]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieJesus

Perhaps my comment was in bad taste, but frustration leads to more than questionable comments, the situation down here with the illegals is dire, and now that they are losing their jobs because of the recession it's getting worse.

The first point is real simple, the rate at which they offend is irrelevant, because they are not supposed to be here.

However, it's obvious that you didn't read the link I posted, let's not let facts get in the way. Twenty seven percent of all prisoners in the US are illegal aliens, a hugely disproportionate figure to their percentage of the US population. Some 95% of all murderers in California jails are illegals. So even if you do play the equivalency game, you lose, because illegals are committing more crime than the average US citizen, a lot more.

There is also the question of their sex crimes, statistics clearly show that illegal aliens commit a disproportonately larger number of sexual offences than legitimate US residents.

So perhaps you can at least partially understand why I would like to have mines laid across the border, and inject some honesty into this debate while we are being collectively murdered, raped, and robbed down here on the Arizona border.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by Retseh]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

Real classy

Get over yourself and do some reading, you plainly don't live near the border, otherwise you wouldn't be so ignorant of the violence we deal with every day down here.

www.usillegalaliens.com...

I live on the border and do not condone the murder of people for small crimes. We don't deal with violence everyday. The tunnels have always been operated by powerful individuals that are respected by the very people trying to destroy them.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

However, it's obvious that you didn't read the link I posted, let's not let facts get in the way.

I did read the link, thank you very much. I know the statistics as well, but as I stated earlier I was talking from personal experience, not statistics.

I understand that crime is higher in Arizona along the border than it is here in California, but lets not forget that the majority of crime commited near the border is drug cartel and mexican mafia related, not your average illegal immigrant.

www.reuters.com...

I also understand that as you pointed out, there is a large percentage of violent crime commited by illegals, but IMO, labeling all hispanic immigrants as criminals (ommiting the fact that just being here for them is illegal, Im reffering to violent crime), is the same as saying that all blacks are criminals because a portion of there community have commited crimes. Or all whites are racist bigoted rednecks, because a percentage of that community shares those views.

So perhaps you can at least partially understand why I don't feel that every single person that illegally crosses the border should automatically be labeled a violent criminal that is going to collectively murder, rape, and rob American citizens.

Don't forget, we all bleed red regardless of where we come from.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by ZombieJesus]

[edit on 2-7-2009 by ZombieJesus]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I did read the link, thank you very much. I know the statistics as well, but as I stated earlier I was talking from personal experience, not statistics.

I doubt the former, and dismiss the latter. However....

I understand that crime is higher in Arizona along the border than it is here in California, but lets not forget that the majority of crime commited near the border is drug cartel and mexican mafia related, not your average illegal immigrant.

I don't buy into the liberal medias attempt to segregate out the cartels. If you cross the border illegally and commit crime, you're an illegal immigrant committing crime - further labels are superfluous.

I also understand that as you pointed out, there is a large percentage of violent crime commited by illegals

Not large, the relevant word is "disproportionate".

but IMO, labeling all hispanic immigrants as criminals (ommiting the fact that just being here for them is illegal, Im reffering to violent crime), is the same as saying that all blacks are criminals because a portion of there community have commited crimes.

As you rightly say, they have already committed their first crime, and don't try to drag black people into this discussion as some kind of racial deflector screen, it won't work with me, I see only facts.

Once again, it's real simple, any amount of crime for illegals should be unacceptable to us, since they are not supposed to be here in the first place committing it. But as it is, their crime levels are disproportionate compared to the rest of the population.

More reason to keep them out - is that such a hard concept to understand, keep people out of our country who are killing and raping our citizens, some kind of stretch that huh?

So perhaps you can at least partially understand why I don't feel that every single person that illegally crosses the border should automatically be labeled a violent criminal that is going to collectively murder, rape, and rob American citizens.

Let me ask you a simple question - In the absence of further changes to our current laws, do you believe we should take active steps to prevent illegal immigration wherever possible?

Don't forget, we all bleed red regardless of where we come from.

Yes, but the problem is that we are doing most of the bleeding.

You may want to try worrying about the welfare of your own people if you can spare a second from worrying about the plight of foreign nationals.

[edit on 2-7-2009 by Retseh]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Let me ask you a simple question - In the absence of further changes to our current laws, do you believe we should take active steps to prevent illegal immigration wherever possible?

Yes I do, but I do not see any point on elaborationg, seeing clearly that neither of us are going to change each others opinions.

Best I can say is lets agree to disagree.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Interesting, wonder if this is part of the whole North American Union beginning to show itself?

new topics

top topics

join