It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREVITY: You, too, are going to die…soon! (Lessons from Fawcett and Jackson)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Well, sooner than you wish…

If you are under 30, you probably think OT is out to lunch…

I wonder what a beauty queen and the king of pop can teach us? The same thing a bunch of 95 yr-olds did in a recent survey…

Highlights: Based on a study done of 50 people over the age of 95 who were asked, “What they would do differently if they had life to live over again?”

Here’s the common top 3 answers:

1) They wished they would have ‘risked’ more…

2) They wished they would have ‘reflected’ more…

3) They would do more things that would ‘live on’ after they were dead…

= = = = = = = = = = =

Details:
(Reflect more) These seniors said they would take the time to think about what was going on and live their lives along well-thought-out priorities. They would contemplate the meaning of life, family, work and much more.
(Risk more) They said they would have taken more chances in life. If they could re-live their lives they wouldn’t be so scared to take risks. They would have developed more courage to venture out of their comfort zones.
(Do things that would outlast them) They wanted to know that their lives counted for something, that long after they left this world, somehow their impact would live on. We all can learn something from these people about setting goals.

The Bible, James 4:14 says, “You do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? You are just a ‘mist’ that appears for a little while and then vanishes.”

What a sobering thought, huh? You know, the only thing I really fear in life is REGRETS…the longer I live the more I agree with this biblical truth of the brevity (shortness) of life?

How about you? Chances are if you are young, you’ll blow OT off, right?

If interested here’s the Audio Link: www.tonycampolo.org...
Caveat: its kinda spiritual in nature, feel free skip to the below questions…

1) Do you see validity in the survey results?

2) What have you learned from these recent shocking deaths?

3) In what ways have your life experiences helped change your mind on what’s important?

4) How will you ‘reflect’ more?

5) How will you ‘risk’ more?

6) What are you doing that will outlast you?

7) What did you think of the audio? If you listened?

OT out!

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Well, I guess there's a podcast, too...

Tony Campolo | Ep. 02 “If I Had to Live it Over Again”
Based on a study done of 50 people over the age of 95 who were asked what they would do differently if they had life to live over again. They responded by focusing on the following:

a. They would risk more.
b. They would reflect more.
c. They would do more things that would live on after they were dead.

Tony shows how those responses can provide direction for how we should live life.

Download the Podcast
Here: podcast.christianaudio.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Yes, It's a shame most people can't see it before hand.

What is shocking, people die every day?

3) In what ways have your life experiences helped change your mind on what’s important?
I have stared death in the face a few times, but I am still here.
The worst thing that can happen to you is that you die, anything else doesn't really matter.

I already reflect most of the time

I already take what many people would consider risks.

Do children count?
I am still here because I have to do something, but the time isn't right yet.
I am still waiting for IT.

Didn't listen

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Love Tony Campalo. A great and hilarious speaker. I have had the honor to hear him in person on several occassions. He loves to shock people.

I try to take risks.. I should take more.
I try to give.. I should give more
I try to reflect..I should reflect more
I dont know if it matters what I leave behind, beyond how I raise my children and show them love.

[edit on 28-6-2009 by grapesofraft]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightchild
Yes, It's a shame most people can't see it before hand.

What is shocking, people die every day?

I have stared death in the face a few times, but I am still here.
The worst thing that can happen to you is that you die, anything else doesn't really matter.

I already reflect most of the time

I already take what many people would consider risks.

Do children count?
I am still here because I have to do something, but the time isn't right yet.
I am still waiting for IT.

Didn't listen

Great answers there lightchild, how have you been?

OT

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft
Love Tony Campalo. A great and hilarious speaker. I have had the honor to hear him in person on several occassions. He loves to shock people.

I try to take risks.. I should take more.
I try to give.. I should give more
I try to reflect..I should reflect more
I dont know if it matters what I leave behind, beyond how I raise my children and show them love.

Thx grapes...

Hope you are well...

Kids, huh? Yes that definitely count for what we leave behind...

Good post!

OT

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Love Tony Campalo. A great and hilarious speaker.

Yeah, for sure, I saw him first in 84, sorry for showing OT's age...the dude is hilarious...but the thing that lasts, to me atleast, is the power of his message...

After MJ died, I realized how short life is...and thought of the survey Mr. Campolo cited...powerful, huh?

OT

[edit on 28-6-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Yeah his death was shocking. Life is short and it is easy to loose sight of what is important. Some times it is good for us to catch on to the idea that we arent going to be around forever. It puts things in perspective.

Tony has one of the cooler understandings of Jesus ever. He has a great message. Also there is this other guy on the radio with a deep voice and he is awesome too, but cant remember his name. Sound like he has a pair the size of grapefruit

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by lightchild

Two thumbs up!!!!

You ACTUALLY took the time to answer the OP's specific questions!!!!!

Most don't btw...

OT

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Yeah his death was shocking. Life is short and it is easy to loose sight of what is important. Some times it is good for us to catch on to the idea that we arent going to be around forever. It puts things in perspective.

G, so true!

I flu-in to America's National Capital today, long work week ahead, and listened to MJ's music on the old guys ipod touch...and actually started crying...

The dude next to me thought I was an idiot....

oh well, I just liked his spirit, from all the s*i$ he went through...and got through it...

But the brevity of life thing is the lesson learned from OT here for sure...

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Maybe, as far as I know those results could have been created by someone and not be from a real survey.

2)What have you learned from these recent shocking deaths?
What's shocking about these deaths? Are they shocking because they were famous?

3)In what ways have your life experiences helped change your mind on what’s important?
I don't remember what I considered as important when I had less experience in life, so I cannot answer that.

4)How will you ‘reflect’ more?
Who says I will reflect more? I think I reflect enough, ask me again when I am 95.

5)How will you ‘risk’ more?
Do I need to risk more?

6)What are you doing that will outlast you?
ATS posts.

Unless the Mods delete them.

7)What did you think of the audio? If you listened?
I didn't listened, I think it a waste of time having to listen some audio or watch some video that only have spoken words, writing was invented many years ago, and it's the best way of passing information on the Internet, regardless of what the marketing departments say.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

OT out!

As always it's a pleasure OT, thanks for invite BTW.

I will make a general statement before answering your questions. My grandfather was 105 when he died, a veteran of both world wars and married to a nurse who was also veteran of WWII. He carried a conviction and manner about him that I have never seen.

He was a stern, drinking, womanizing, wonderful individual. But on his death bead, he summoned me into his room and gave me a gift. A gift, which is as much a curse. He gave me the ability to stop blood, simply by thinking about it. He told me the story, which I will not repeat for I do not wish this upon anybody, and told me to pass it on when I left this Earth for better things.

Now I tell that story because this is what, he wanted to reflect, and live by. He wanted me to forever tell this story to my children and they would tell it to their children, to keep his memory and his ideals alive.

As for the questions.

1) I think the survey definetly represents what most seniors feel about this issue, I think alot of them were just born in a certain time where they didn't have the opportunity to think or act in the way they would have today.

2)In these deaths, alot has come to mind. I am nearing the 40 mark, and mind you I am in good health, but anything could happen. It's dawned on me that perhaps I have been cruel to Jackson for his "tabloid" affairs during the years.

3)My life experiences have thought me very much. Raising 3 chilren with 2 fathers was a big eye opener on how adaptable our world is, given the children who live in it. My spiritual connection with the Earth has shown me that we are but a "myst" as the OP says, destined to fade unless we make a lasting impression.

4)In reflecting more, I have actually started meditating with my 13 year old son. He suffers from a very rare disease and it helps clear his mind and take stress of of him. It's also a wonderful bonding experience.

5) Risking more, well I have risked alot in my life. Being a homosexual dad in the early 90's was no easy feat, and I think my risks have been taken. Perhaps at 50 I will brave some new endeavour.

6)What will outlast me? The wonderful people that I have created, through love, compassion and proper education. My children are for me, the symbol of how the world WILL be a better place once the youth is all grown up.

7)Didn't listen unfortunetly....

So again, that's OT for the wonderful reflection, always a pleasure

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

ArMaP! How have you been, long time no see...

So glad you joined, Great thoughts there!

How's Portugal, these days?

OT

PS: Sweet job in answering the OP

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

I will make a general statement before answering your questions. My grandfather was 105 when he died, a veteran of both world wars and married to a nurse who was also veteran of WWII. He carried a conviction and manner about him that I have never seen.

He was a stern, drinking, womanizing, wonderful individual. But on his death bead, he summoned me into his room and gave me a gift. A gift, which is as much a curse. He gave me the ability to stop blood, simply by thinking about it. He told me the story, which I will not repeat for I do not wish this upon anybody, and told me to pass it on when I left this Earth for better things.

Keeper, thank you for the reply...I do understand the blessing/cursing dichotomy...in another area...

Brother, I'm with you, you know..."onto better things"...one day...

Hope you and yours are well...

OT

PS: Nice job on the OP answers, I'll respond after a few ok?

OT

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

2)What have you learned from these recent shocking deaths?
What's shocking about these deaths? Are they shocking because they were famous?

ArMaP, Good point, ALL death should be an issue, for someone...

To me, these were because of thier place in America society...

Charlie's Angel...and the Moon Walk-dude, meant so much to younger generations...don't you think so? What's your point of reference? For asking such a WISE questions?

OT

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

.............4)In reflecting more, I have actually started meditating with my 13 year old son. He suffers from a very rare disease and it helps clear his mind and take stress of of him. It's also a wonderful bonding experience.

5) Risking more, well I have risked alot in my life. Being a homosexual dad in the early 90's was no easy feat, and I think my risks have been taken. Perhaps at 50 I will brave some new endeavour.....

Keeper, thank you for all the fine responses, 4 and 5 caught my eye...4, I'm sorry to hear about your boy...he loves your presense, "keep" it up!

5, you know i know...we've discussed....and I'm honored to have you as a (virtual) friend...

pls see more on Tony Campolo, I think you'll be surprized....here...

gaychristian.net...

Excerpt:

Dr. Tony Campolo, professor emeritus of sociology at Eastern College in suburban Philadelphia, is a well-known and highly respected voice in evangelical Christianity today. Dr. Campolo is an ordained Baptist minister, a popular speaker, author of numerous books, and founder of a ministry which reaches out to poor and hurting people worldwide in the name of Jesus.

Dr. Campolo's position on homosexuality is conservative: he believes that the Bible forbids all homosexual activity. However, he does not support attempts to "convert" gays into straights; rather, he advises gay people to pursue celibacy. His position is what some refer to as "Side B."

Peggy Campolo, Dr. Campolo's wife, takes a different view. She supports monogamous, same-sex relationships, and believes that marriages should be recognized in the church for both heterosexual and homosexual couples. Peggy's position is what some refer to as "Side A."

Two committed Christians with two different views - yet they are able to share the same bed each night and respect each other's faith. How do they do it?

Tony and Peggy Campolo have spoken about their divergent opinions on homosexuality to churches and other Christian organizations. Recently they addressed a gathering of The Shepherd Initiative, an organization devoted to encouraging dialogue within the church on this issue. We've been given permission to make this entertaining and enlightening presentation available via the web, so just use the links below to download and listen to Tony and Peggy speak!

Part 1 - Tony (2.86 MB)
Part 2 - Peggy (2.35 MB)
Part 3 - Tony (2.08 MB)
Part 4 - Peggy (0.95 MB)
If you were impressed by this presentation, please consider visiting Tony Campolo's website to learn about supporting his ministry.

OT

[edit on 28-6-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Thanks OT, I am honored to have you as a friend as well.

Yeah my son, it's an auto-immune disease, so he just gets sick very easily, for example, he caught a mild form of Pneumonia last month and had to spend 3 weeks in a "clean" room we built above to garage, so you can see how stressed he is.

As far as raising those kids, there were many times were I was beat on, spat on, child services called because the "on a pedestal" school system believe I was warping my children. Anyway, long story short, I kept my chin up, turned the other cheek, and years later those people are now apologizing, because my children are more successfull and more "human" than they are for what they experienced.

And I will certainly be ready about Mr Campolo, I disagree with his celebecy rule and would probably favor his wife more, but I can attest than he and she are great people who fit the perfect example of how religious leaders should act with others of different values and faiths.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I knew young that my life was going to be ruined, so i slightly changed it. Believe me people tried to even destroy my life even more and if it was not for me, my life could be be alot more worse than even it is today.

But thinking about tomorrow left me forget about having any real moments in my life.

So you cannot be too fixed up on what tomorrow brings.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

...... about Mr Campolo, I disagree with his celebecy rule and would probably favor his wife more, but I can attest than he and she are great people who fit the perfect example of how religious leaders should act with others of different values and faiths.

~Keeper

That's OK, just wanted you to see his perspective...this guy travels EVERY week....and he's over 75!

Here's his best work, if you have time...the most important speech in OT's life, heck its even on my avatar....

www.tonycampolo.org...

Prayin for your boy....he WILL BE FINE!

OT

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
I knew young that my life was going to be ruined, so i slightly changed it. Believe me people tried to even destroy my life even more and if it was not for me, my life could be be alot more worse than even it is today.

But thinking about tomorrow left me forget about having any real moments in my life.

So you cannot be too fixed up on what tomorrow brings.

andy1033,

Changing things often helps greatly....

I'm so glad you posted, great points there....

Any thoughts on the other OP questons?

OT

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join