It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It wasn't really meant for this, but I guess it will do.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
more of a medical thing but I know in the case of many venomous stings and bite are treated with amonia, The most readily supply is ussally from urine.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Here's another condom trick for medical purposes if you have a pneumothorax. A pneumothorax is caused by the lung that develops a hole in it by natural causes, blunt force trauma, stabbing, or gunshot wound. In the natural and blunt force case, the lung leaks air into the chest cavity. This is not good, as this is a fixed space. If your introducing air into the cavity, something has to give. Your lung begins to collapse. If allowed to progress, it can push on the heart and the great blood vessels. If left untreated, it can cause death. With a sucking chest wound (gunshot and stabbing) you have a puncture site into the chest cavity. This may appear to be good to prevent the pneumothorax from progressing to the later stages, however this is not true. The wound will suck air into the chest cavity. Add the fact the lung is leaking air into the chest cavity and you can see the problem.

Now, to stop this with a mere condom. You'll want to be concerned about infection, because this is your chest and a great entry point for an infection. A) With the sucking chest wound, you'll want to clean the puncture site. Take the condom and cut the tip off the end of it. Tape the condom to your chest around the puncture site with the cut end dangling down. Now, as you inhale, the condom will close itself off preventing air from entering the chest cavity. When you exhale, the condom will open back up allowing the trapped air in the chest cavity to escape. You will have to check to make sure it hasn't become clotted with blood or other body fluids every 15 minutes or so to prevent air from from becoming trapped in the chest again. B) With a naturally occuring or blunt force induced pneumothorax, it's a little more complicated and painful. You have to create a hole in the chest cavity to get the trapped air out. Usually this is done in a hospital setting by a Dr. The typical site is below the third rib on the side of your chest. You will probably hear a hiss and some feel some relief in the building pressure in your chest. Clean the site again. Take the condom and cut the tip off the end of it. Tape the condom to your chest around the puncture site with the cut end dangling down. Now, as you inhale, the condom will close itself off preventing air from entering the chest cavity. When you exhale, the condom will open back up allowing the trapped air in the chest cavity to escape. You will have to check to make sure it hasn't become clotted with blood or other body fluids every 15 minutes or so to prevent air from from becoming trapped in the chest again.

An IV bag can be used in place of the condom as well. The inside of the bag is considered sterile. Cut the bag open and tape three sides over the puncture site leaving the lower side open. Check the open end every 15 minutes or so to prevent clotting to prevent air from becoming trapped in the chest again.

DISCLAIMER: PLEASE READ!!!!
This is a life threatening condition and emergency medical attention should be sought from medical personnel. These treatments should only be performed by trained medical staff. These treatments are only provided for informational purposes and use in the rare occurence that no medical care is available by unforeseen events. Please, do not attempt this. This is not to be used in place of seeking immediate medical care.

This is my first post with ATS, so don't be too brutal. Although common sense says that I shouldn't have to place a disclaimer, I live in the USA where people love to sue. I've also been in the medical field and have learned alot about CYA (Cover Your Aces.) In the spirit of the thread for a SHTF situation, medical care may not be readily available. Crime may be rampant and you could very well be stabbed or shot. This post will hopefully increase your odds of survival from a relatively minor incident that can easily turn fatal.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
In a survival situation if you need a compass, u can use a magnet and a needle to construct a make shift compass.
Now befor I get into the details I am sure some of you are saying, who would get lost with out a compass. Too that I would say how do u get lost with a compass.
lets suppose you are a survivor in a plane crash, or your vehichle break down in the remote wilderness. for what ever reason rescue has been unable to find you, or possibly even given up on recovering you. you have an idea that if you head north west you will intersect a highway where u could easily flag down a vehicle to get to safety. but you need to know what direction magnetic north is. what do you do? (lets pretend we are in the north and you can't tell from the sun, or moss or all that other jazz)
strip a magnet from a stereo speaker or wherever else there may be a magnet. then only rub one end of a needle or razor blade. now place this needle or other peice of metal on top of water (so it floats on the skin of the water). the end you rubbed should orient it's self to point north, you can now follow ur plan to safety.

It is important to note when rubbing the needle on rub half the needle, and go in a south to north direction.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Kip Kay does some great alterations. enjoy.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

blood transfusions, same blood type, or the other persons blood will kill you. A, O, resus negative, etc.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by unclekrabz
reply to post by exile1981

may sound odd, but instead of a coffee filter, experiment with one of those respirator masks, i myself have never tryed, nut some are as fine as 0.5

Some N95 filters are that fine but a lot are not. Especially the cheap ones.

I like cartridge filters personally and I have a good stock of membranes and pre-filters for my system.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
aside from coffee filters and bleach is there a water filtrations method or system anyone can recommend. I've been saving up money to buy one.

My family consist of 12 adults and seven children.. Unfortunately I am the only one saving money, storing food and planning strategies.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicaviv

I just found this today Its called the SODIS method
www.survivaltopics.com...

This whole site has some interesting info

Enjoy

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
how about something as simple as boiling the water in a plastic water bottle...it works and everywhere you look there is a empty plastic bottle

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
how about something as simple as boiling the water in a plastic water bottle...it works and everywhere you look there is a empty plastic bottle

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

That windex thing works better than anthro. HOLY firgging MOLY I am impressed and I thank you for that tid bit.

So what causes them to stay away the ammonia in windex or something else....

For anyone who doubts the power of windex TRY IT! Windex really does repel ants.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join