It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain's Got No Talent: Half of U.K. Expats Threaten to Exit

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That would suck, to say the least. Sorry to hear that, sincerely. I hope it doesnt turn out that way for a lot of other workers.

I like your new Avatar better. I wondered what was behind the mask.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

I'm doing fine now.

As long as there are PCs and Networks I'll have work.
I have my own little shop. Been busy lately to.
check your U2U

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
It's not only the foreign nationals working in the UK who want to leave, from what I have heard many of the residents do too. Makes me feel sorry for Australia because that's who is going to get the influx

We have increasingly large Brit populations here in the US, I have no problem with welcoming them over here as long as they leave the idiotic notions that destroyed their own country behind them.

Yes we like guns, hard work, and a social welfare system that is kept in check - no free apartments for pregnant teens, no new car every three years on Motability, and you pay for your own healthcare.

Don't like it? Canada is right down the hall, second door on the left.

This could be another South Africa type situation in years to come, where all the well educated high revenue generators have fled the country, leaving the social parasites with no one to live off.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by Retseh]

So tell me Retseh where did you hear that? I'd be interested to hear what humiliation, slight or injustice you have suffered at our hands that leads you to make these posts. According to you, the UK is always teetering on the brink of economic collapse, about to explode in an inferno of civil unrest or become a Muslim state. I see from other US posters on this site that for many, work ( hard or otherwise) is in short supply for many over there. I get the impression though that you are the sort of guy who would helpfully shout 'Adapt or die' at them. The UK workforce works longer hours and have fewer holidays than any of the other leading economies in Europe. Motability is a car leasing scheme for the disabled. Are you telling me that pregnant teens are thrown onto the streets in the US? We do pay for our Health care, through taxation and yes I know where Canada is. So do a lot of Americans who go there to buy cheap pharmaceuticals. But yes you do have your guns.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I wished the subject was something other than "Britain's Got No Talent" It sounds like they lost the Tap and Jazz Festival, rather than the economy.

Where are the UK supporters? Ive read conflicting stories identical to ones in the US. "Things are getting better" The next day were told we were in a recession since Dec. of 2007.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
It's going to come down to owning a few acres, sustainable living in a small cottage/cob/cabin with a garden and a few chickens. Those people will be the one's who survive all this crap.

Well that, and those of us who make our living off of contracting to organizations of any type...

As Slayer said... only when we have no more need for networks will many of us have to do something else...

Now if that happens... I'm right there with you on that point...

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

You and slayer have good jobs. This article worries me a lot.

Is this the end of the Internet?

Lets hope it's a bad joke. i'm sure you guys would figure a way around it? Any tips if SHTF??

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld

I wished the subject was something other than "Britain's Got No Talent" It sounds like they lost the Tap and Jazz Festival, rather than the economy.

Where are the UK supporters? Ive read conflicting stories identical to ones in the US. "Things are getting better" The next day were told we were in a recession since Dec. of 2007.

I don't think its about being a supporter. We have now got a huge debt problem thanks to Govt. borrowing to bail out the banks. It will be with us for a long time. But there have been a number of positive appraisals recently of the prospects for the UK economy, along with others which predict our recession will be deeper than many other economies. All of which leads me to believe that no one is sure what is going on.

The OP's article seemed to be referring to a brain drain of people who worked in corporations that helped get us into this mess in the first place, so I'm not sure where they are going to escape to. India no. China I doubt it. Is any one going to repeat the mistakes that led to this mess? I travel a lot in Europe and things really aren't any better in any of the leading economies. I was in Germany last week and there is a real sense of injustice that an economy that had done everything by the text book and which was a glittering example to others is now in trouble because of the collapse of their export markets. It really is pretty crappy everywhere at the moment.

[edit on 07/21/06 by Fang]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fang

Did you mean to only quote what I said or did you want to comment, as well to me or Slayer?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

Hi Wonderworld,

Think the key word is in your title 'expats'. These are the people who left their own countries when the UK looked more promising... Where will they go? Obviously, either on to the next greener pasture or back to their homelands.

Whilst people certainly appear to move around within the US, Americans sometimes don't seem to understand how freely and frequently people move between countries in other parts of the world.

Peace!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by The Wave

Yes but dont the 'expats'. have lots of wealth? Wouldnt it hamper your economy if they all left fore Ireland?

These guys are some elite business men, with stuffed wallets. I'm not real famililiar with how the UK sustains itself but I'm learning!

Thanks

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Great point.

I think many here in the states forget about the whole "EU" thing.
People would be able to move from country to country there just like we move through out the 50 states.

Good point.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fang

So tell me Retseh where did you hear that?

Why from your very own statistics dear boy.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

They will cite the coarsening of British society, the rudeness and the aggression on our unsafe streets, the dead hand of welfarism, hospitals that make you sick, not better - the list is long.

One thing will be mentioned more than any other: that unchecked immigration over the past decade is creating a country many Britons no longer feel comfortable in.

I'd be interested to hear what humiliation, slight or injustice you have suffered at our hands that leads you to make these posts.

You know this is quite interesting, this site must contain literally thousands of anti-american posts by UK residents, and yet you find a lone poster (me) who takes a pop at the UK, and you cry foul.

I could list the injustices of this one-directional relationship. The way that americans are portrayed as fat, stupid, and loud by the British media, compared to the way that the typical american regards the British as nothing more vile than polite tea drinkers. Or the fact that the BBC has admitted they "previously" had an open anti-american bias in their reporting, or how about the attempts of the British anti-gun Snowdrop group to meddle in American home-affairs by pressing for gun bans here after running out of guns to ban in the UK.

I could go on, but you get the point, a country that holds us in such collective low esteem but whose residents are ever eager to flee here for the lower taxes and higher standard of living galls me somewhat. Come over by all means, but leave your prejudices and warped British political mentality at the doorstep, thank you ever so glad, because we don't need "fixing" as you have so successfully done to your own nation.

According to you, the UK is always teetering on the brink of economic collapse, about to explode in an inferno of civil unrest or become a Muslim state.

Well prediction #1 appears to have arrived, what a sage I am - number #2 and #3 are closely linked, and in my opinion both are very much in your very near future, some of us still remember Brixton, not just the US Watts riots.

I see from other US posters on this site that for many, work ( hard or otherwise) is in short supply for many over there. I get the impression though that you are the sort of guy who would helpfully shout 'Adapt or die' at them.

I don't have to shout anything at them, the vast majority of americans understand that they can't go running to the government for money when things go south, but that is changing, regrettably we are becoming more like you.

The UK workforce works longer hours and have fewer holidays than any of the other leading economies in Europe.

So you're Europe's tallest pygmies, congratulations. Let me know how you stack up against us or the Japanese.

Motability is a car leasing scheme for the disabled.

Rheumatoid Arthritis isn't "disabled", it's a fact of life if you live in such a cold, damp climate and are over the age of 65. Your system allows thousands of spongers to milk off the hard working.

Are you telling me that pregnant teens are thrown onto the streets in the US?

Well they certainly don't get an apartment and a weekly child welfare allowance, only in hardship cases. Is it any wonder that your bejewelled isle has the highest teen pregnancy rates in Europe?

We do pay for our Health care, through taxation.

Yes, and if you have a job you also pay for the healthcare of the great unwashed too, I prefer to pay only for my own, and I don't have to face a waiting list for non-essential surgery or squeeze into an over-crowded doctor's waiting room filled with immigrants and babies who have nothing more serious than colic.

But yes you do have your guns.

Yes we do, annoying isn't it, and especially ironic when you consider that the reason we have them is because we required them to evict an oppressive anti-gun regime - why yes, it was the British.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by Retseh]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Yes but dont the 'expats'. have lots of wealth? Wouldnt it hamper your economy if they all left fore Ireland?

These guys are some elite business men, with stuffed wallets. I'm not real famililiar with how the UK sustains itself but I'm learning!

Thanks

Ireland! Ireland Is now in deeper do do than any other country in the EC. We are not talking about 'elite' business men we are talking about various varieties of traders, creators of exotic financial products, Hedge Fund managers, Bankers, Wankers, Analysts and various hues of the bonus fuelled super rich. These were the guys who, when asked if they might like to contribute a little in the way of taxation to the UK economy, threatend to flounce to countries that appreciated their remarkable talents. We all have to get back to an economies based on sound, tangible foundations.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Hi Slayer and Wonderworld,

It's not just people with 'fat wallets'. There was a similar article in the UK press about how many of the Polish people are leaving, these are not rich by any means but are hard working people. Sure it will hit people in the UK that don't want to do the jobs they do but...then someone else will come in.

Slayer - you're right about the EU but it is musch broader - the UK has been taking in people from all over its old 'Empire' - India, Pakistan - even Australians and New Zealanders!

Wonderworld - I'm Australian but live in Berlin - I got out of the UK a long time ago!

Peace!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I have a funny feeling they wont be moving to the US! I'm surprised we havent seen a huge migration, more recently, especially from California, with their IOU paychecks.

I guess they didnt need to move the biggest companies in history like AIG, Lehman and GM, they just gave them a few trillion to get by on.

I do expect more US companies to head South.

In 2008 lots of farmers actually left the US and moved to Mexico to buy up fertile land to grow their crops. Massive amounts of migrating farmers. They said in the US they were 200 employees short to farm their land.

I dont know what the trade laws are on selling produce from Mexico? It will be a site for all Countries. They all cant run from this Great Recession!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Wave

Sure it will hit people in the UK that don't want to do the jobs they do but...then someone else will come in.

Slayer - you're right about the EU but it is musch broader - the UK has been taking in people from all over its old 'Empire' - India, Pakistan - even Australians and New Zealanders!

You know whats funny when they whole economic tsunami hit. There were stories in the media of an increase in the numbers of our southern neighbors going home.
I know what you mean.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Fang

O.k. I do not like Hedge Fund managers so we should ban them from the US. We have enough corrupt grredy hedges here already but Timmy Geightner should take care of that I hope.

The stock market is a different story, with thousands trading hands each day. You may want to keep the smart ones but a recovery is not in this history books on this one!

So what are we left with China and India laying the golden eggs?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
An element of this resides also in the government's decision (actually the businessmen who now almost totally monopolize government positions) to actually 'incentivize' moving labor out of country.

These businesses do it because our government actually encourages the practice. They make these concessions so large businesses who stand to profit the most from the deal will continue to support heir farcical "public service' careers via the political show-business industry.

Here in the US there are NUMEROUS tax incentives to move labor to 'preferred' nations like India.

But in the end, Mr. Smith's manufacturing plant, or Ms. Jone's assembly factory, are getting their money from you both on their products and your taxes. Somehow the political facemen (and women) make it seem like 'We have to do this - in the spirit of global economic development." All the while the "Global" institutions are getting tons of revenue from both ends of the transaction.

I am no isolationist, but it seems to me that if I am entrusted to serve the public, it will be MY public I serve, not some schemers in the UN or some supranational banking cartel. Too bad it's them who owns the process and the product of "political" "leadership".

[edit on 24-6-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Where will all these poor unemployed Polish people go for work?

I wish there was some fantasy land full of weath and prosperity but I havent found it yet. It looks global.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I agree we all need some new leadership. Brown has made an A$$ out of himself and has done nothing to help the people, he's in hot water over labor and numerous other issues.

Do you know much about the federal taxes in the UK, tax deductions. There seems to be more going on than meets the eye. I understand the Recession.

Do you have any suggestions as to remedy this. It's funny us here on ATS are working to solve problems, while the leaders are whining about it and intentionally covering it up.

I know for a fact that at the end of the 3rd fiscal quarter in September all hell will break loose. They will know the numbers in advance and the G20 coincidentally has their summit meeting at the same time.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join