It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need to shut down ATS

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Like others I agree with some aspects of the sentimment - but disagree with others.

I do agree that people in general need to be more vocal, more active, and actually get out there and do what they can do...irregardless of if they are successful or not.

With the invent and the increase of cyber communication...the access we all have to the internet...the ability to voice our opinion globally 24/7 which some years ago may not have been so readily achieveable - I see positive and in some ways negative with that free-flow of communication.

Positive in that information and descimination is but a keystroke away...negative in that more readily available is the option to voice ones opinion from the relative comfort and safety of ones computer chair.

There are minimal risks in communication via the internet.

To provide some background here:
My first involvement in active public protest was at the age of 9 years old....protesting the Springbok Tour here in NZ.
Hamilton. Nawton Rd. Thats where I got my first taste of active protest with the cancelling of a Rugby game due to the Anti-Apartheid protests of the time.

9 years old...and facing the wrath of a large angry group of Rugby Supporters who were infuriated that us protestors can caused the cancellation of their favourite sport.
9 years old...and facing the might of the Red Squad, a crack Police Riot Squad of the time.

Tell you what - that introduction to active protest was a mindblower...getting beat down by Rugby-heads, getting bashed and kicked over at 9 years old by Riot Police...getting my blood spilt and losing 2 teeth for something I didn't have any real clue about...

Being 9 years old didn't mean jack - the anger and viciousness of the blows gave no quarter to young and old.

I spent some 18 years in various Protest Movements - predominately centred around Rights and the Land Rights of my people.
Many many times going toe-to-toe with shielded, battoned, vested, helmetted Riot Police.

The reality is that very very rarely are you EVER going to get one up on the Authority.
Very rarely are you EVER going to come away unscathed, unbeaten...or in any way remotely even.
The reality is that the Authorities you face will predominately get the upper-hand.
The reality is that you will spill your blood, you will crack your bones...and if..IF...you are lucky enough to get in a few good shots then the reality is you will get beaten down like a dog, eventually cuffed and dragged back to the cells where it'll be open-season on you as the Cops engage in a bit of batton-practice on your skull until your Legal Council arrives.

Thats the reality.

The other reality is that most people - no matter what they like to think, how much they like to convince themselves otherwise - most people don't like the idea of that reality.

Most people aren't overly keen to get bashed, to get broken, to bleed.
Most people - and speaking from experience here - talk a tough talk...yet when the charge comes and you're staring at a wall of shields and waving battons storming your way...well...most people turn and run.

And I don't blame them...not one bit.

Don't get me wrong here...I'm sure many people have all the best intentions in regards to protest. They get all psyched up and assure themselves and others that they'll stand in the face of the rush.
Yet I garauntee you this: When the kicks come, the blows rain, the blood, bones and screams start....I garauntee you that you could look to your left and your right and count on ONE hand the amount of people who will still be standing at your side...

...and again I don't blame them...not one bit. It friggin hurts!
Its not a spectacular thing to spend some time in lockdown, getting brought up out of the holding cells to stand before the Judge on Monday...to get a rapsheet that will stuff up your career chances for a while.

So why the heck would anyone want to do that?? Get the shyte caved out of them, get arrested and locked up, get charged...and then do it again.

Heh - I ask myself occasionally. I'd like to think it was due to believeing so strongly in something that I couldn't NOT take that type of action. Couldn't NOT risk and receive those ramifications.

...or maybe I was just young and foolish. The reality is it was probably a good dose of both.

I don't have the stomach now for that type of stuff....getting old now...and to be honest I actually enjoy working, making a good living, being married, expecting a child, having a house and a few nice *toys*. Perhaps some may say I've sold out. Maybe I have.
All I do know is that many people want to make a change...many people want to go large and loud...many people want to get right in there in the chaos of it all.

Yet when push comes to shove - many people won't.

...and again...I don't blame them.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by alien

It takes for at least 70%-80% of a coutries population to stand up for a drasting change to take place in that country. Otherways it is, as you are saying…..those that stand up are taken to jail, beaten, falsely accused, some even killed. All the while the media is sending false information to the general public, candying up most of the story. But the protest is not in vain, because it helps to awaken others to wath is really going on in the world . Besides you do what is right and what you belief is worth fighting for and that is a feeling no one can take away.
I believe all the hiddend information is to dominate the population because other whise the corrupt govermants won’t stand a chance. The people will endure the oppresion for years, even decads, but they will be like a ticking time bomb and they will reach a crucial moment when they can take no more.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Actually OP, I was on another french forum on conspiracies a few years back and they did that for those exact reasons... what happened? People moved to other forums.

If people are not already active, they never will be.

[edit on 21-6-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by silencer

I think you are being a bit harsh, as I have been with this forum for quite some time. I don't sit in front of my computer all day hashing out conspiracies. However, ATS alerted me to certain events, before it came out on the news.

It is a brilliant forum, where people do communicate and try to learn where the majority of the problems lay. As for bankers being part of it; my husband recorded inadvertantly a conversation of a banker stating that if we knew what they were really up to that there would be a lynching. So don't be so harsh. There are people in the know on ATS, and I find it and similar forums stimulating.

They are not perfect, nor is anybody else. Everybody and everything has it 's short-comings. I agree that people need to take an active role outside the computer, and I can say, despite my disability-I am active in helping where I can.

I have a friend with bi-polar, who has been thrown into a nursing home for patients with dementia and Alziemers. She has neither, and I have witnessed how the system manipulated it, so that she was made to be something she wasn't, so that they can acquire her house and funds. Through ATS, I have learned what to look for when a government body takes over a situation.

I tried to warn my friend that they would do this to her, as she lives on her own. Her own advocate didn't know what she was suppose to in relation to meetings and such-like. Also, they were unaware that she had been placed into a nursing home, and she is only 58.

So, there are not lazy people on this forum and I have learned to see through the news on telly past what they want us to know, and what is really happening in the world. I am a truth seeker and found ATS is full of people like myself.

I joined in 2004, if memory serves, and I was nervous the first time I joined the board. I read the threads, before I put my contribution forward. ATS and other forums similar to this one open our eyes to what is really happening in the world.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Revolution? Why waste energy?
Print m like corrupt governments do, and be merry!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
No amount of saying 'we should do this or that' will ever get everyone to do it.... I and many others have mentioned this time and time again and if there is ever a March of protest then the people in charge may take note for a few days but once the initial threat of 'A Revolution' has subsided things go back to normal because people start worrying about feeding the cat or paying bills etc etc.... however if we 'the people' stuck to our guns then the Leaders would have to bow down and admit defeat because without us there would be no Economy!!!

BTW There is a huge March in London on December 5th involving Greenpeace so if you can make it.... make it! Check their website for news!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by silencer
Ya, that's right. ATS needs to be shut down and for good reasons. But before I present my reasons, let's look at why you come to this website?

1. To read interesting conspiracy theories.
2. To get current NEWS.
3. To vent your anger and frustration caused by these theories or NEWS.
4. Misc.

Incorrect. I come to this website for the same reason I visit any other website. Because I'm bored or trying to kill time, and it's a great form of mild entertainment. My beliefs, my quest for news and my emotional state have absolutely nothing to do with why I come here.

Some of the people at ATS are very old members. They have come across every kind of conspiracy there is. Infact, I think it's safe to say that 99% of the members here believe the 'World is run by bankers' conspiracy, wanna get rid of the FED and cause a revolution.

99% of ATS members want to cause a revolution? Your post is losing validity already.

The fact is that it will never happen. As long as you have this website to vent your anger and frustration, you will never actually leave the comfort of your home and actually bring about change in the real world out there.

That's quite an assumption. Based on what I've seen, most ATS members live normal lives, many who are incredibly busy with work, research, etc. I'm not sure why you'd think the majority of ATS members "never actually leave the comfort of their homes."

People are always talking about revolution and standing up against THE MAN. The problem is that for us to win, we all have to stand together. You cannot wait for the day when they break down your door and kidnap your kids. Because then you WILL stand up, but you will stand alone. Your neighbors will watch as you and your family are dragged from your home. No one will lift a finger. Then next day they will come for your neighbor and no one will help him. That's how they keep us under their shoes.

Well spoken. You've just agreed with hundreds of other posts. I'm not seeing a correlation with ATS needing to be shut down, though.

So shut down this site and start getting out of the house and raise your voice in the community. Gather people who are as frustrated as you are and form small groups. Then join groups from neighboring towns, cities, states, countries, etc. Actively protest wrong decisions from your lawmakers. Don't just write a letter to them. Go stand outside their office with your group and demand change.

Why can't we do that, while keeping the website up? You've got a great idea, but shutting down the website would just lessen the valuable information getting out. I absolutely agree with people acting upon their beliefs and getting the word out, but that's exactly why this website was created in the first place. To get the word out!

We all have been conditioned to be lazy. Even I am sitting here on this site telling people to shut down this site. Use the site only for communicating with each other. Do not use it as a revolution ground. The place for revolution is your town, city, state. By now enough people have woken up and enough people are frustrated.

Let me ask you a question. How much have you learned from this site? If this site didn't exist, what would you be telling these people? Would it be the same as if you had never visted ATS? I highly doubt it. Basically what I'm saying is, you can easily spread the word without shutting down the source of information.

People who laugh at UFO conspiracies, secret societies, NWO, etc. You don't need to explain these conspiracies to them. Just present them with simple facts. Tell them, if they support you, gas prices will go down, or they will have more jobs, or they will get cheap health care. Talk to them the language they understand.

Stop flocking this website and use your time and energy to actually go out there and make change.

Again, well said. Though I'm not in favor of you discouraging people from visiting this website. Many people come here for information to share with their friends and family. Shutting this website down would only result in LESS of the truth getting out.

For you guys who are gonna reply to me about why I am using the website instead of going 'out there' myself, remember, I am merely using this as a means of communication.

Communication. That's exactly why we're all using this website, my friend.

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Your reasons for shutting this site down are not good enough, I disagree with the internet making us lazy, the way society is at the moment makes us (majority of the western world) lazy. The internet is a fantastic information tool that feeds the brain - but that does depend on what you are looking for!
I don't spend all my time on the internet, as a non lazy person I spend most of my time doing worthwhile good outside of my four walls.
I have found the topics on this website very interesting and informative even if some of the threads are a load of old rubbish I still enjoy reading them for entertainment purposes.
This website has given people around the globe a lot to think about and don't assume that because we have been armed with information that we will not use it when the time is right or that our neighbours will ignore our plight, I have pointed 4 other people to this website that I personally know and they find this site very interesting.
Websites like this give us more to talk about than everyday boring subjects that we have gone over a million times.
I am sure most members on here have told other people about this website thus spreading the word and not just via the internet, word of mouth is a very strong tool.
I have no idea who you are. Are you authorised the close this site down? if so give us a date?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I totally agree with you

Just watch out for the angry coppers on a peacefull march/protest, they enjoy manhandling ordinary peaceful folk

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I agree with everything you said EXCEPT shutting down this site Perhaps we should start ATS meet up groups? This would be one way to get all of us active.

Your point it well taken, thanks for saying what needs to be said.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Your neighbors will watch as you and your family are dragged from your home. No one will lift a finger. Then next day they will come for your neighbor and no one will help him. That's how they keep us under their shoes.

Metaphorically speaking, and from an historical point of view, that's how they keep us under their "jack boots".

For now, ATS is a good place to connect with people, get better educated, wake up, and become more prepared for what the future holds.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Good point,been flamed enough yet to see why this country is going down?

You are obviously not the voice that people are waiting to hear,I doubt there is one.We as a nation are so fragmented at this point that I don't think anything can bring us together long enough to survive this mess.

Good try,stay true to your beliefs(if they are your beliefs) can't trust anyone anymore you know.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
It's amazing how people think that shutting down ATS would cause them to lose their source of information. This is how we are controlled. We get our news from some anonymous guy writing a blog on the internet. This is no better than mainstream media IMO.

How about you go outside and find out what is happening. Do a little of your own research. People always talk about how much they have researched, when the only thing they did was read someone else's research. You guys always look for NEWS from credible sites. How do you know they are credible? how do you decide? who decides they are credible? What makes one credible and the other not? You cannot see the person reporting the news, you don't know him personally.

IMO you guys should stop crying about losing your freedom of speech because it doesn't even matter. No one ever speaks out anymore. There are few exceptions but most of the people come here, write a few paragraphs and then go back to sleep.

I get called a hypocrite and lot of other names. This is what will happen when you try to voice your opinion, don't get distracted by it. Some people cannot swallow the truth.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

User from now on ignored

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

How am I suppose to find out what's going on in China without knowing anyone from China?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Why shut ATS down? Why so authoritarian?

If you want to change the world, turn off your computer and go join the military; become a lawyer to change the laws; or volunteer to help the needy.

You can always come back to ATS and describe how you've changed the world (around you).

That would make us all richer.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This is for the USA audience.

We revolt every 2-4 years in a civil way. we vote and for the most part, it is a pretty fair election process. (still some kinks..2000..cough).

If you believe you have strong evidence on a conspiracy and want to do change in the USA, its very simple...you find the best spokesperson in the group, and you present him as a candidate for POTUS...that is how revolutions happen in a democracy...else, your just some wackjob with a gun talkin about how the gub-ment is being oppressive.

Even if the person doesnt win, the platform, if it is solid and legit, will get attention and eventually have to be addressed. So, you have a choice, buy even more guns (which incidently, I have a great conspiracy theory about the NRA spreading conspiracy theories to sell guns, ammo, and survival gear) and tuna in a can for the apoclypse that is always right over the horizon, or actually do something about it...and not march in the street...but buy a suit and practice stump speeches...because otherwise, your just being a tool for a different set of companies.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I have read some pretty dumb threads here on ATS but this one takes the cake. Even though I partly agree with you on how everyone takes no action and just talks about it on ATS, its no reason what so ever to shut down ATS.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
hmm. I do have to agree, but I come here for the UFO and ghost stuff mainly. LMFAO you were expecting a serious burn.. and most of us can agree to an extent.. but I dont want to see it go.
Frankly if you are not willing to die for a cause.. it was never a cause for you to begin with. If you are not willing to take a bullet to preserve tomorrow for posterity, and future generations to come.. you are a worthless arse.. If you think its safest to sit at home and let the next bloke start the action... I really hope you die.

But again.. Im just here for the UFO's lol.
cheers mate. now get off your arse and start petitioning, and getting heard.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

People who laugh at UFO conspiracies, secret societies, NWO, etc. You don't need to explain these conspiracies to them. Just present them with simple facts. Tell them, if they support you, gas prices will go down, or they will have more jobs, or they will get cheap health care. Talk to them the language they understand.

Sitting indoors and using websites like these would actually indirectly help to some extent and I agree with you in terms of using sites like these for communication purposes. The thing is at some point we'll have to explain the conspiracies to the public and the "uninformed" People need a reason to join your movement, people need a reason to fight in a revolution. They have to sure that what they are fighting for is the truth and is real. There are a lot of conspiracies out there that cannot be proven but only speculated. Whether or not I believe the world in run by bankers I'll still need to convince the masses for them to help me. I have witnessed four UFO sightings in my lifetime and was literally 40 feet away from one already in pure daylight but to everyone else it will remain an questionable conspiracy until I could actually prove it to them myself. Another thing I'd like to mention is that we can't just sit here and believe that only the conspiracy theorists come to this website so even the idea of using this as a means of communication could be null and void by the powers that be if they so wished.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join