It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apologize for Slavery? Why?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Do not ask why,

Ask why not,

And find that,

All of our apologies return,

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Individually, I don't think we need to apologize, as none of us were around then, but as a country, I don't see it as a big problem. Most countries are entities which have been around since those times, so as a country it's like us individuals apologizing for something we did in our teenage years.

I think it's too late for reparations, so I think that it's good that the apology was made to not be linked to that whole argument. I see nothing wrong with making the gesture though.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I think the government should appologize and all but you wont see me apologizing. I dont have a racist bone in my body and I refuse to take blame for what some dumb -@ $ $ white boys did in the past. The government and the rich oppressors that enslaved the black people back then treated white people that were lower class quite poorly as well. Obviously not as bad as the black people but not very good either. I never enslaved anybody nor did anybody in my family tree. I do agree though, the government should apologize and not stop with the African Americans but should include apologies to the Native Americans and even the Chinese Americans for how they abused them building the railroads. Hell, they should apologize for causing this last economic collapse as well.

As been mentioned in this thread already, we cannot change the past. For all I know.. I might have been one of them black slaves back then and I'm now reincarnated into the white boy I am today. Who the **** knows. The only race I see is the human race.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Fine, if they see the need to apologize, than so be it. No skin off of my nose.

If reparations are in order I say we go with the 40 acres and a mule. The original planned reparations. But a person must be able to prove they were directly descended from slaves.

If you can, you get 40 acres and a mule, if not than you get nothing because you weren't directly descended from slaves.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Some of you have a lot misconceptions about blacks. I'm half black myself and I just want to say that a big portion of black people DO NOT think that the "white man" is holding us down, nor do we even ever talk or think about slavery (whats to talk about, none of us living were involved in it), and most of us are just hard working people with families just like most of you, we aren't all on wellfare lol (none of you directly said these things, but I sensed thats what you think from reading your posts). I also agree there is no reason to apoligize for this considering no one living in america today was a a slave owner and there are no living slaves!

[edit on 21-6-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
There were whites slaves, asian slaves, you name it slaves, blacks just feel like they want someone to blame for something!!! there were more christian, jews slaves than blacks combined, yet blacks keep whinning about it because they feel like they stand out the most... Yea they stand out the most, because they whine all the time, you always heard them everywhere there are black people, black person to crime ratio is like 70-80% ... They stick out like a sore thumb because of their attitude to everything and to everyone and they dont feel ashamed for anything... And then they feel like they are being discriminated again this and that.... yea stop being idiots and respect others and act normal for a while, maybe people will change about their opinions about the blacks? they are black for a reason, bible does mention the curse that will be seen from generation to generation because of a sin of people. Its just like we are all born with a sin, this is just another form of someone elses sin "seen" on the outside of a person... We are all people... Some just seem to act more like animals than others.....

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6/21/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

wow a lot of racism i sense here. why all caps? lol. i just said in the post above this that I'm half black myself and pretty much everyone I know is black and I don't know a single person that complains about "the white man" holding us down, nor do we ever even think about or talk about slavery. Everyone I know for the most part have a family they are just trying to support and go to work everyday and we don't all sell drugs and we arent all on wellfare lol. Yes there are a good amount of black people like that but there are just as much lazy ignorant idiots of other races too.

Don't let idiots like jesse jackson and all them and all these stupid rappers make you think all blacks are idiot ignorant people who complain about everything. Most of us don't even like those type of blacks.

Whatever though you are entitled to your opionon.

And I don't know what you're going on about the bible since I'm not into religion and know nothing about it... are you saying all blacks are cursed or something? Are you saying that black skin is a sin? What the hell that is disgusting man. That is so hateful, I don't understand how some people can be so angry and hateful jees.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Rather than apologising for past slavery (and personally I'm not going to to sue the Italians and Irish for subjecting my ancestors to centuries of such atrocities), why not make an effort to stop curent slavery?

www.antislavery.org...

What's more important? People who have been dead for hundreds of years? Or people who are dying today?

Good post. I agree with this.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
im not saying black people are cursed, i was saying the color is a symbol that blacks carry due to someones sins, therefore its a reminded that is passed on from generation to generation, not a curse, but many have forgotten it by now, so it no longer matters and its just a black and white hate. Plus i was talking numbers, if you do white man ratio crimes and black man ratio crimes, its WAY higher for blacks because of how they are, nor they care of their shame. Maybe you have a handful of black friends that are higher class went to college for knowledge not to spit some game. But everyone agrees, blacks and whites, that about 7 out of 10 blacks are the majority that make the good blacks look bad to others. where as whites ratior is about 1 out of 10 are the ones causing trouble. i suppose this depends on the location, but everytime i see blacks, more than half of them bump crazy music, think they are all that, acting ghetto. where as 20-30 white people go by in cars all normal and mind their own business.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by NickT916

Yea, that's a big load of racist bull crap.

Being black a sin, a curse?
Come now, who taught you that baloney?

Listen, I work in Detroit, frankly the majority of the people I cater are black. and even though I work in a ghetto, the people for the most part aren't bad. They don't come in with any attitude, or any prejudices either.

There are those that do, don't get me wrong. I would say its probably proportionally similar to white racists.

And maybe just maybe, the reason that black people are convicted of crimes more often than white people is because black people get caught more. Ever wonder about that? Maybe it has something to do with the white guy able to get a lawyer and maybe the black guy has to deal with an inept public defender.

Cursed? Are you freaking [swear] me?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeff414
i think we should apogive for what we did to them. we had them as slaves for crying out lloud!!

who is "we"???

i think you need a reality check, this is 2009,

WE have never had slaves.

Anyone who was a slave or owned a slave is DEAD.

Slavery hasn't been legal in this country for nearly 150 years . . .

i'm certainly against any form of politically correct reparations because it's utterly absurd.

I'm not asking Germany for handouts because my ancestors died in the Holocaust am i? Or maybe i should go to Egypt and demand reparations because my great great great great great great great great ancestors were their slaves?!

I think that the descendants of black slaves in America should acknowledge that they are physically RIDICULOUS athletes, partially because of all the selective breeding that was going on during the slave times. They should take their physical gifts, call it even and shut the hell up . . .

only thing that i got out of my ancestors being wiped out in WW II is a greater proclivity for insomnia . . . They should quit while they're ahead.

[edit on 6/21/2009 by JPhish]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Why doesn't anyone ever mention the fact that it was other African tribes that actually sold these poor people into slavery? Because of the various diseases throughout Africa, the 'slave traders' rarely even left their ships. Other African tribes would attack a rival tribe, kidnap them and march them to the beach. They would sell them and then go looking for their next victims. Only a very, very small percentage (< 3%) of slave traders actually went and kidnapped their own slaves. This is according to a PBS show I saw hosted by African American professors (can't remember what group they were with).

Don't get me wrong, no aspect (from beginning to end) of slavery was right, but this fact always seems to be omitted from the debate.

Also, (some is documented and some is not) I would bet that every race, nationality or culture were slaves at one point throughout history.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by soldiermom
I want reparations and an apology for the members of my family that suffered mental anguish, loss of income and injuries while fighting in the Civil War for the Union on behalf of the people whose descendants think I owe them an apology, much less reparations.

Keep making that racial divide stronger you saintly senators.
It was a stain on our history's past, yes. The operative word being past.

The civil war was not fought to end slavery. This is a common fallacy,the war was fought to keep slavery from ending.

There were important differences the South and the North and many maintain these differences, or vestiges of them, are still present in this country today. The economy in the South was based on agriculture while the North was industrialized; the ideals and lifestyles of each region reflected these economic realities. (research Sectionalism)

The South believed their lifestyle was dependent on the labor of slaves, and it was. Slavery netted a fortune for the southern economy. Then slavery began to be seen as being morally wrong was beginning to take hold. Abolitionists had begun a movement to end slavery in the states. Because of the South’s dependency on slave labor for its life style and its economy, this view was not shared.

So the South saw its’ livelihood threaten buy the North’s view of wanting slavery to end, so the South attacked them. Like I said, research “Sectionalism”

To apologize for slavery was commendable but it should end right there. I myself don't want reparations for the many reasons stated in this thread. I was not a slave and neither was my parents. So there is not that is owed to me. Doing this only furthers to perpetuate a false sense of entitlement that is already out of control.

Giving reparations is unfair, Just because a person is white doesn't mean their family owned slaves. This is where world history falls down when discussing slavery. What about the Native American, they owned slaves as well. Why do you think most blacks are part Native American.

This is the only race we could marry outside of our own. Research "The Trail of Tears". So shouldn't they have to pay also?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Indeed. In the event of war, guess who China will go after next after they've taken Taiwan? Nope. It's not gonna be the US. It will be Japan. Same with North Korea. There are Koreans and Chinese (who weren't even alive back then) who still resent the Japanese.

This apology may or may not be the right thing to do, but it's the correct thing to do.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Great civilizations throughout the world have risen because of the contribution of slavery. (It's hard to figure out complex mathematics, write literature, etc., when you're walking behind a mule 12 hours/day or dragging a cotton bag around a field.) Thanks to all those who were slaves. We regret that life was hard, brutal, nasty, and grossly unfair for many slaves. It was harsh, brutal, and nasty, and unfair for many who weren't slaves as well. We regret having used you in the U.S., for a variety of reasons, but you helped us and others around the world progress. Thanks again, now all the decedents of slaves in the U.S. can enjoy the fruits of their ancestors' labor in our modern times. The End.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

The Bible and prejudiced Whites in the South teach that. These people justify their hatred by citing the part of the Bible that says the descendants of Ham had dark skin and were cursed by God.

I actually had a neighbor tell me this straight to my face, with all seriousness. See what I learned by living in Texas?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Ah YA, didnt we fight a war over that already, so the thousands that where killed and maimed wernt enough huh? Im really getting sick of having to attach "im not a racist but" every time im forced to deal with this. Not even 1% of the population is even related to anyone who owned a slave. I think it was wrong, plantation owners should have paid more to have free citizens work for them, they are the ones who made the unethical decisions, not me or any one Im related to. In college everyone has to take at least on class learning how evil one is for being white if they are (especially of you are male). Ive always thought it a bit absurd that the same people who want a colour blind society are the same ones constantly bringing up the most racially specific things. There are people of all colours of all nationalities that have had countless obstacles and tragedies to overcome. Rather you are black, white, or purple, your merit shall be your only judge. To me this apology is just another example of how fake are congress is willing to be to get votes, and what a coincidence--the same year we elected our first black president, big surprise! I see him as the president and if he does either a good job or a bad job I shall judge him based on that, not the color of his skin. How insincere of an apology is it to have the government force it anyway, let me guess they will probably have Letterman be the formal apologisee--PLEASE!!!

[edit on 21-6-2009 by Dredulous]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Hahaha nice one Sol

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Slavery was a product of the ancient Middle Eastern world (Persia, Mesopotamia et al) - it was not a "White European thing." Then adopted by the Greeks, Romanians and throughout the Old World.

Slavery was a common occurrence in the New World too, pre-Columbus, and thus it is difficult to warrant apologies when so many civilisation engaged in the practice.

In fact, the Chinese were treated much worse by the Japanese (Rape of Nanking) and their anguish/suffering was diabolical - buried alive, human experiments, torture, et al.

An apology is meaningless.

You took the words right out of my mouth, beat me to it. Styar for you!

I am not apologizing for anything. The first of my ancestors got off the boat at Ellis Island about 1902. Almost 50 years after slavery was abolished. And they were exploited labor too.

The Native Americans engaged in slavery quite often as well. The Aztecs and Incas were notorious for it. Where are THEIR apologies to their own people?

And since we are on the subject, folks, lets demand an apology from the MUSLIM world. The Islamic slave trade was going on for 1000 years before White Europeans traded their first batch of cowrie shells from West African slaves. In fact, the number of Africans enslaved by the Muslim world dwarfs anything that went to the New World. Given how the Spanish and Portuguese were pretty much the first Europeans to really get into the African slave trade...wonder where they got that idea from...it wouldn't have come from the ISLAMIC MOORS who occupied their country for 800 years, would it?

Nah.

So if the U.S, government is gonna apologize, let them. They do not speak for me, and if it eases their aching consciences, so be it. But since we are in the business of official apologies, then let's get the Islamic world to do the same. Hell, the continued on the slave trade years after it was abolished in the West, and they weren't just getting slaves from Africa, but from Europe, the Caucasus mountains, India, central Asia, and the Far East.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Ok, I'm going to vent alot of rage here, but I'll try to keep it censored. Ahem....
I am so f*snip* tired of this whole race bullcrap!!! There is no f*snip* racial difference, just people born under different sunlight!! White were from Europe, who were all under a big smog cloud that they created, that is why they are so white. Blacks were born in the Jamacan islands, and Africa mostly, and that is one big desert with no shade. Yellow are born in aisian countries, mostly China, beacause they had a slightly higher sun rays in their countries. Natives were outside all the time. The only reason that the skin colour stayed was that the power of the sun could change the skin colour partof a humans DNA.

We are all the same people, and don't let anyone tell you otherwize.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join