It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Please do not deny ignorance.

page: 2
7
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I understand the meaning of the ATS thing is to not be ignorant and such.

But, I am pretty sure the point of the OP is that "denial" of information is a major cause of ignorance to begin with. As the definition of ignorance is to "not know", denying things in fact feeds it.

I think it's a pretty valid point in that effect. I don't think there is anything nefarious about the banner, but it does have a bit of irony in it.

I figure it's about like the "more perfect union" line of the constitution. Technically that is an error, but I think I get the gist of what they mean.




posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
I understand the meaning of the ATS thing is to not be ignorant and such.

But, I am pretty sure the point of the OP is that "denial" of information is a major cause of ignorance to begin with. As the definition of ignorance is to "not know", denying things in fact feeds it.


Yes I think so too.

It can mean like denial of a fault can lead to stagnation of oneself.

Everyone is bound to be ignorant only in different levels. We should never stop demolishing ignorance similar to never stop learning and seeking the truth.



posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
On 2nd look, maybe we can treat it like math. 2 negatives turn into a positive.

Ignorance = a denial.

Denying a denial = not denying.

I still understand what the OP is saying, but I think that makes more sense. Because if we instead say "Accept Ignorance", then it becomes a statement saying to deny things, rather than do not deny things.

So if we look at "ignorance" as just a word, rather than what it's meaning is then it becomes a matter of denying a "thing". But if we look at in terms of it's meaning we can get the double negative thing.

Oh well, nice little thought exercise at least.



posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
we heres my $.02
what "deny ignorance" means to me...wich is really all that matters. as a matter of perspective anyway.
Ignorance to me means ignoring the things around you, or choosing not to educate yourself.
if the ignorance of people in general is to be considered a bad thing, I am going to deny that ignorance, by learning, reading, and being able to form my own educated, opinions. Discussing topics, and hearing from others who do know, and who are willing to share their knowledge. I may not be the smartest person on ATS, by any means, but I WILL "deny ignorance" by continuing to learn, and expand my knowledge and perceptions.
I am not pretending to know, Ill admit that I dont, but I will learn about the things that are important to my growth. and help others grow when i am able.




posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by omnifiction
 


I think that I see where you are going with this. At first it seemed to be a discussion of semantics, however, reading your post again I interpret you as suggesting that rather than focussing on the negative by "denying ignorance" that we empower the positive by "accepting knowledge"

am I on the right track?

if so, then I certainly agree that focussing on the positive is the right path.

the law of attraction suggests that what you utter is what you receive, so that to "deny ignorance" (both negatives) would promote "denial" and "ignorance"
while "accept knowledge" (both positive utterences) would promote "acceptance" and "knowledge"


I like it.



posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tamale_214
reply to post by omnifiction
 


I think that I see where you are going with this. At first it seemed to be a discussion of semantics, however, reading your post again I interpret you as suggesting that rather than focussing on the negative by "denying ignorance" that we empower the positive by "accepting knowledge"

am I on the right track?

if so, then I certainly agree that focussing on the positive is the right path.

the law of attraction suggests that what you utter is what you receive, so that to "deny ignorance" (both negatives) would promote "denial" and "ignorance"
while "accept knowledge" (both positive utterences) would promote "acceptance" and "knowledge"


I like it.




Pretty onpoint, but I also raised a point about the graphic designer and most people would guess that there is no hinting or subliminal message- that view point would seem to be pretty non assuming and in my opinion non ATS-like.

As far as people saying this is a small issue and a waste of time, I would ask, do you think that any issue here really makes that big of a change in the big picture. And if so, who is to say that little things, things as simple as how we use our words and think don't effect the world. But even this is trivial, as knowing makes no difference.



posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by omnifiction
 


Hmm....regarding the logo design itself I guess I think thatsometimes a cigar is just a cigar.



posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
While "Deny Ignorance" may not be perfect, I think it's better than the alternative, "Don't believe a damned thing the MSM or those bloody politicians are saying because they are liars, thieves and ethically bankrupt and morally corrupt - RUN FOR YOUR LIVES BEFORE IT"S TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!".

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but whoever is working at dividing the people into little groups that hate all the other little groups, this seems to be working - we are now arguing over the Deny Ignorance logo of ATS. I just see this as really silly.



posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by omnifiction
 


Mmm, the plane is crashing and you're complaining about the peanuts.


May I humbly suggest getting past this monumental obstacle that is the logo, and perhaps focus on content.

Just saying ...


Awesome Post SD


Hey I wanted Pistachios though!
Dang peanuts


To the OP, I understand your point, but we can play word games all night. The general point is "to seek truth/knowledge" and to deny"falsehoods".

I am really used to the ATS motto, and I really do not want to change it now based on debatable semantic details.



posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Well, lets see. Whats the alternative?

Embrace Ignorance?

Nah. Not gonna fly, really, is it?


Deny Apathy
Deny Stupidity
Deny Uncivilised Behaviour
Deny You Tube Culture
Deny Ignorance

I kinda like it that way.



posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
While "Deny Ignorance" may not be perfect, I think it's better than the alternative, "Don't believe a damned thing the MSM or those bloody politicians are saying because they are liars, thieves and ethically bankrupt and morally corrupt - RUN FOR YOUR LIVES BEFORE IT"S TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!".

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but whoever is working at dividing the people into little groups that hate all the other little groups, this seems to be working - we are now arguing over the Deny Ignorance logo of ATS. I just see this as really silly.


If that was the designers backup motto I would ask us instead to investigate weather or not he is a fear monger.



posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by omnifiction
 


Mmm, the plane is crashing and you're complaining about the peanuts.


May I humbly suggest getting past this monumental obstacle that is the logo, and perhaps focus on content.

Just saying ...


Awesome Post SD


Hey I wanted Pistachios though!
Dang peanuts


To the OP, I understand your point, but we can play word games all night. The general point is "to seek truth/knowledge" and to deny"falsehoods".

I am really used to the ATS motto, and I really do not want to change it now based on debatable semantic details.


I am not saying it should be changed, I am pointing out what is burned into our pshy every time we visit ATS and perhaps hinted at.



posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Well, lets see. Whats the alternative?

Embrace Ignorance?

Nah. Not gonna fly, really, is it?


Deny Apathy
Deny Stupidity
Deny Uncivilised Behaviour
Deny You Tube Culture
Deny Ignorance

I kinda like it that way.


Yes most of us do like to deny our own ignorance.
Although I am not asking for an alternative, you did. So here it is:
Acknowledge ignorance. Question truth. Deny nothing.



posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by omnifiction
Acknowledge ignorance. Question truth. Deny nothing.


My suggestion earlier was 'rebuke ignorance', I like yours too!

Acknowledge ignorance and atomize it, one atom at a time! Just kidding

-Acknowledging ignorance and eliminating it day by day!



new topics

top topics



 
7
<< 1   >>

log in

join