It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Korea warns of nuclear war amid rising tensions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Korea warns of nuclear war amid rising tensions

news.yahoo.com

SEOUL, South Korea – North Korea's communist regime has warned of a nuclear war on the Korean peninsula while vowing to step up its atomic bomb-making program in defiance of new U.N. sanctions.
The North's defiance presents a growing diplomatic headache for President Barack Obama as he prepares for talks Tuesday with his South Korean counterpart on the North's missile and nuclear programs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   

A commentary Sunday in the North's the main state-run Rodong Sinmun newspaper, carried by the official Korean Central News Agency, claimed the U.S. has 1,000 nuclear weapons in South Korea. Another commentary published Saturday in the state-run Tongil Sinbo weekly claimed the U.S. has been deploying a vast amount of nuclear weapons in South Korea and Japan.

North Korea "is completely within the range of U.S. nuclear attack and the Korean peninsula is becoming an area where the chances of a nuclear war are the highest in the world," the Tongil Sinbo commentary said.

It would seem that not much has changed in the Korean story as of late. I find it very interesting that they are saying the US still has nuclear bombs in the South and Japan. Obviously another attempt by Kim (or even his younger son who is supposed to take the leadership) to deter the fact they had another test just to defy the U.N.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Note: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6/14/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I just love the hypocrisy of this whole conflict. We invaded Iraq and Afghanistan for "suspected WMDs" and we wont even touch North Korea and they HAVE nuclear weapons, they have the largest standing army (besides China) and are organized. The Taliban is a bunch of children with BB guns compared to these guys...

Also:

diplomatic headache

No it's a diplomatic migraine or even a diplomatic tumor.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
This is a serious problem. Nuclear weapons do not need to be fired in todays age.

I just dont get it with some people, what are they looking for? why dont they get it? Im sorry if i dont have anything to add to this conversation but when i read things like this i feel an incredible amount of deep remorse, knowing that these people have the ability to live and feel differently.

Its just painful.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ansiroth
This is a serious problem. Nuclear weapons do not need to be fired in todays age.

North Korea is living 50 years in the past.

50 Years ago:
Cold War
Nuclear Threat from Russia
Ignorant People
It goes on...

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

yeh, i would love it if someone asked obama this question about the fact we went into iraq for much much less.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Ansiroth

I think you are right this seems to not be the normal can rattling that has been going on. I must admit though the test they did really backed basically the whole world into a corner! They have been in the news just about everyday now talking about using some form of nuclear bomb on who ever they choose. Well the USA is at the top of the list, but unless they can smuggle it in on something;They are pretty scroomed on that end we are rather far away from them. I feel bad for the people in countries that are much closer to them. Even if they just keep popping of test's sooner or later it is going to infect other countries around them.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles

Originally posted by Ansiroth

North Korea is living 50 years in the past.

50 Years ago:
Cold War
Nuclear Threat from Russia
Ignorant People
It goes on...

I was really starting to wonder about that and here you go and POST IT!

I must admit it would seem to be the only logical explanation if there even is one.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

All it would take is a North Korean freighter ship docked at one of our western ports with a Nuke inside to screw us over.

You know, since they've already covered that angle with "War if you search our ships!"

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
N.Korea has always had some fiery rhetoric.It seems to me though that it is them that are backed into a corner and trying to act as crazy as possible so everyone will take notice that they are part of the nuclear club, while at the same time leaving them alone when it comes to sanctions or inspecting cargo heading their way.If anyone even farts in the general direction of N.Korea they get threatened with a nuke it seems...they are worried about something thats for sure.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Perhpas it is the fact that the countries involved are turning up the heat and being prepared if they choose to do anything stupid again.
Maybe it is the fact that the UN Sanction's metting voted a whopping 15-0 to get the sanction's passed right away and implement the search and seizure order?

They can't get part's or send out any weapon's anymore. They are backed into a financial corner if you will. They now have no way to get all the bombs out.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
when are people going to start looking at nukes on a level playing field?, who keeps an eye on americas asenal?, the usa spends all its time pointing the finger at every other nation who gains a nuclear capability, claiming that nk is 50 years in the past, america got nukes nearly 70 years ago and used them in as a weapon, the only country to have done so!!, it is about time that there was a global nuclear watchdog or something, to whom every nation answers, nukes should be outlawed globally, but while america is sitting on in excess of 1500, nations will still see the need for them, lead by example, not, do as i say not as i do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

This scenario is terrifying. I see it though as well as if I am reading a book and already know the ending, this situation with NK is going to be really bad and I fear what will happen when Obama goes to SK this coming week, something tells me either he will not go, or if he goes it will signal a nuclear war. I do hope I have just been reading too much news at work and hanging on ATS too long, making me slightly paranoid, but , I don't think so.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by THELONIO

It is kind of like giving Barney Fife bullets for his gun. Andy can handle a gun, hell even Goober could handle a gun, but do not, I repeat, do not give Barney bullets for his gun, he will shoot his own leg off.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by space cadet]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by THELONIO

IF such an agency were to be created who do you think would back it and give it the power it needs?

Well, the US the UN and most likely Russia.

It wont help, trust me. The UN is already on a tyrant roll as it is the US coming right behind it.

Wouldnt help at all. Probably make things worse.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by THELONIO
when are people going to start looking at nukes on a level playing field?, who keeps an eye on americas asenal?, the usa spends all its time pointing the finger at every other nation who gains a nuclear capability, claiming that nk is 50 years in the past, america got nukes nearly 70 years ago and used them in as a weapon, the only country to have done so!!, it is about time that there was a global nuclear watchdog or something, to whom every nation answers, nukes should be outlawed globally, but while america is sitting on in excess of 1500, nations will still see the need for them, lead by example, not, do as i say not as i do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always America's fault. We used them in the 40's out of necessity, and would not have them anymore if it weren't for people like Kim Jong Il.

It's a good thing we have Aegis ships out there right now. I promise those missiles won't make it more than 50 feet off the launch pad.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
We didnt need to use the nukes in ww2, we used them to test them and their affects on people. We had already won the war, you might be in need of a history lesson. Theres a dang good film on it. Ive forgotten the name but it interviews survivors of the attack. Heck we won the minute we started dropping napalm on their wooden houses from the b2's. That I might add said we wouldnt do. Burning an innocent civilian population alive was pretty low. Dropping the nukes was even lower.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by Memysabu]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Tentickles I would have thought you knew better than that. North Korean PEOPLE are NOT ignorant. Their glorious leader IS. Unfortunatley alot of Koreans were born into KJI's reign and honestly don't know how to get rid of him, and his sons. Try living in a country where everything is censored and your internet is nothing but gov't websites. And don't get me going on TV...
*rant off** No offense was intended in that TT*

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by THELONIO

Global nuclear watchdog?? Well, we already have the UN but they have been fairly powerless. I can't think of any other way that would ever be possible. Very idealistic not very realistic.

Please not the same old bit about the US using Nukes so the US is horrible. If the technology had been invented 10 years earlier Hitler's Germany would have had the bomb and most of Russia and the US would still be glowing.

The firebombing of Tokyo and Dresden were more devastating than the payload of the Angola Gay.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

I wasnt referring the the North Koreans being ignorant at all my friend, I apologize for not making sure my statement was more precise.

It is indeed the leaders I was referring too.

Let me reiterate why I did not make my comment precise.

The North Korean citizens have no say in what happens to their government and country. They are under a dictatorship and therefore are slaves to their country.

When referring to ignorant people with a dictatorship it implies the leadership not the citizenry.

Edit: Thought I would add that I took no offense to your comment, thank you for bringing it up so I could make sure no one else made that assumption.

[edit on 6/14/2009 by Tentickles]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join