It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Korea warns of nuclear war amid rising tensions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Yes, I think we can all empathize with the real citizens and people of both NK and Iran. They are in a real no win situation. Their govts have so much power over them, and those said govts are intent on driving their countries off the edge of a cliff.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I must admit I really feel for the general populace of North Korea living with such a barbaric government.
Lets face it though, the western world has the technology to simply eradicate NK's nuclear facilities,cripple the majority of their defences yet we sit on rhetoric.
I think its about time we stopped their sojourn into meglamania,and with all this doom and gloom about the Global Financial Crisis what better way to alleviate it than with a major war ...._javascript:icon('
')
But really,something needs to be done sooner rather than later...

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
We didnt need to use the nukes in ww2, we used them to test them and their affects on people.

Someone had to use Nuclear weapons to show the devestating effect of them.
That is the deterrent.
If they had not been used before we would not be aware of the full effects of their useage.
And imagine the effects of today's weapons which are many times more powerful than those used in Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

And yes WWII was already won, but it was going to be a long drawn out affair with fierce fighting on every single island.
US casualties would have been terrible and the war would have lasted for at least another 2 or 3 years.

The Japanese would not have surrendered until they absolutely had no other option...which is exactly what happened.
To suggest anything other shows a lack of understanding of Japanese culture and society of the time, and perhaps even now.

The use of atomic weapons in 1945 shortened the war and showed us all exactly why we can not allow these weapons to be used again.

How do we tackle the Korean problem?
I don't know.
We can not allow this regime to continue, we can not allow them to continue with their nuclear programme.
It has to be addressed now.
But I honestly don't know how.
If I did I would be a world statesman, not a pub landlord!
The attitude of Japan, Russia and China is crucial; it is in their sphere of influence and they should be the one's dealing with it.

It would be very easy to criticise Obama and other world leaders but this is a very tricky situation and could easily lead to a major confrontation with no easy answers.
I'm sure no matter what course of action is taken their will be plenty who will criticise.
For once I do not envy them.
But that is the choice these people have taken.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I had a friend that once told me about the difference between tough and crazy.

If you act tough, it is inevitable that one day someone will come along who will want to find out how tough you are.

However if you act crazy, NOBODY wants to find out how crazy you are.

This situation reminds me of that.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
I just love the hypocrisy of this whole conflict. We invaded Iraq and Afghanistan for "suspected WMDs" and we wont even touch North Korea and they HAVE nuclear weapons, they have the largest standing army (besides China) and are organized.

FYI MANY countries posses nuclear weapons, Korea is the one with the least in the world, the US has anywhere from 300 to a thousand times more in comparison... Many countries HAVE these weapons, so let's us not act like it is something of importance if one country has a dozen or so of these weapons. However, what is important is what they plan on doing with them, but then again, you can ask the same to any of the bodies that hold the same weapons. But I do agree, some action should be taken if NK continues with the testing and not responding to the UN and whatnot.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
The desision by North Korea to weaponse it's uranium, is a big mistake (on there part). I think the US will launch preemptive strike against NK's enrichment facility if NK does not stand down.

I would say China does not want Nk in the exclusive nuclear club either (or they would have given them the technical knowledge for ICBMs and warheads) and allies can become foes.

Or this could be an act sabre rattling by NK but it's a very dangerous game, they are now playing.

It's now a question of who blinks first.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by mtok7]

[edit on 14-6-2009 by mtok7]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Some of you really have no clue the capabilities of NK as far as SK goes. In a matter of minutes North Korea could wipe out thousands of South Koreans including thousands of US. Soldiers. Even with a first strike there would be a huge loss of life. I mean what the hell do you think the North Koreans have been doing along the DMZ all these years? That is the number one reason why the US isn't doing # to NK and it's the same reason why we haven't done anything in the last 30 years.

America hasn't fought a formidable military opponent in 50 years. And with our current military being hamstrung by lawyers and rules of engagement we will never fight the way we can fight again. We learned a tough lesson, (MacArthur did) on this same piece of real estate 50+ years ago. America doesn't have the stomach nor the money to take on NK right now. China isn't going to do # nor is Russia.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The use of both nuclear weapons in WW2 was still a part of the Pacific campaign, America had already been lurged into a ground-invasion along the Pacific Islands and were facing a land invasion upon Japan.
The only way to limit casualties from this was to drop both the bombs and thus indirectly save more lives than they took. The intended target was always going to be Tokyo but on both dates the city was clouded over and for photographic purposes they moved the other locations to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

I know full well the capility of the Nk war machine, but the big picture in this situation is that when NK have functioning nuclear arsenal they will invade South Korea, make no mistake about it(why else do they want nukes). Japan and other countries in the region will be at there mercy.

I think the west will view it as a strike that will start land war, but will prevent ww3. I prefer the lesser of the two evils.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
We didnt need to use the nukes in ww2, we used them to test them and their affects on people. We had already won the war, you might be in need of a history lesson. Theres a dang good film on it. Ive forgotten the name but it interviews survivors of the attack. Heck we won the minute we started dropping napalm on their wooden houses from the b2's. That I might add said we wouldnt do. Burning an innocent civilian population alive was pretty low. Dropping the nukes was even lower.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by Memysabu]

You are blind to history of you think the atomic bombs were not what ended the war.

You do realize that Japan had a fleet of submersible aircraft carriers which were en route to destroy the Panama Canal and also strike deeper into America when all of this went down right?

It was the only thing which caused the surrender....

oh yeah... we need to take out lil kim....

[edit on 14-6-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles

Originally posted by Ansiroth
This is a serious problem. Nuclear weapons do not need to be fired in todays age.

North Korea is living 50 years in the past.

50 Years ago:
Cold War
Nuclear Threat from Russia
Ignorant People
It goes on...

Who's living in the past?

Today:
Iraq War
Nuclear Threat from North Korea/Iran
Ignorant People
It goes on...

I get what your saying, but is he really living in the past? He knows Obama doesn't want to push the red button and he's got too many men for us to take him on without help, thanks to a certain other war.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
You know, this is the perfect opportunity for them. We have a president in office who does not believe in using force.

If NK blew up one of our cities, I doubt that the President would even deal a blow back. I never liked Bush, but you better believe if they did something he would take it off the map.

I think they are taking advantage of this time.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I really don't think the potus is going to be allowed to go anywhere near that region right now. It doesn't matter what he wants at the moment; he can't put his life in jeopardy with the situation the way it is he would be doing just that.

As far as living in the past I do believe that most of us feel this because of how much the people are repressed over in the North. Thing's like that where happening back 50 years ago and now that most of the world has moved past that phase we can see it elsewhere. I'm not by any means saying it is the only place on earth like that.
But you have to admit it is pretty bad over there right now. To make matter's worse he has obviously chosen the son who will follow in his foot step's and do as he has done. What leader by passes his elder son's and goes straight to the youngest? If not to simply cement his plan's in place.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Well Guys it would seem that North Korea is straight up telling the South that they will nuke them if any of the North's ship's are searched. But what happens if it isn't the South doing the searching at all?
When they had the UN meeting all the member's voted to do the sanctions and the ship searching. Even Russia and China where on board with it. The vote came out to an astounding 15 for 0 against!
So why come out and threaten the south unless it is really threat to everyone else, like they are responsible if anything happens to the south? The North has for a long time had masses of missile's pointed to their neighbor maybe they need to get rid of them or they are going to be worthless soon and they feel they can get away with it. I mean they have gotten away with a heck of a lot of stuff already. Perhaps they are just ready to pull out the stops. Who knows at this point, I just feel sorry for all of those people stuck in the middle of all the government posturing.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join