It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What year was 9/11?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
For anyone who thinks their country is any better than the US, just wait until it bottoms out and see how your country is affected.

I think you'll find our banks, politicians and military industries have made it such that most of the civilized world (ie if you are using the internet, probably you) needs us to survive. It's very stupid but it won't be very funny. When the dollar goes, and when our infrastructure goes, a lot of other things go with them, all over the world. Because our banks, companies, etc. have intentionally done this; they have intentionally gotten their hands into so many other peoples' business, it is all very related now.

Btw, before you blame us, you let it happen to your countries yourself. You let us come in and do all kinds of dirty business with your country. Just like we have passively allowed our own country to be taken by crooks. We are all guilty of the same thing: not doing anything about it.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
ahhh hell nevermind... i gotta stop readin this part of the forum all these "anti american" people make me sick and these parts of the forum seem to be loaded with them.

The funny thing is i have NO PROBLEM whatsoever with people from other countries and you'll NEVER EVER hear me saying anything bad about anyones country. But when these idiots start saying stuff like all americans are stupid and cant be trusted and all kinda bullcrap it really pisses me off.

Anyways, I'm off to another part of ats... these parts of the forums suck!

[edit on 14-6-2009 by Jeasaaone]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle6677

Ok then, pick 20 people at random, in any mall, parking lot, social center, whatever, and ask them the same question.

Do you honestly think that you'll get a 50%+ correct response rate?

People in the US are stupid and perfectly happy being so.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
That's kind of foolish, sad that Americans can know so little.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeasaaone

I'm not anti-American; Christ, I AM American. I'm just anti-Stupid...

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybobh3
reply to post by kyle6677

Ok then, pick 20 people at random, in any mall, parking lot, social center, whatever, and ask them the same question.

Do you honestly think that you'll get a 50%+ correct response rate?

People in the US are stupid and perfectly happy being so.

Are you from the US? Are you stupid? I don't know about you but I don't like being called stupid, I consider it a huge insult.

I'm not stupid, and dont like being called stupid.

Also you could do that same little test you are talking about in ANY country on earth and get the same responses. I guarantee it. Just look at all the stupid european videos and stuff there are on youtube, theres just sas many as there are stupid american vids.

Also where I happen to live (bay area, california) I know for a FACT a good percentage of people here are up on political stuff and know whats going on in the world, I don't know about the rest of the states though. As matter of fact the bay area has more activists and people into this type of stuff then anywhere else in the country I'm pretty sure.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Look at my Location: New Hampshire.

Did I call YOU stupid: I could have, but I didn't. It's a generalization that I believe in through my own observations.

Lose the blinders and open your eyes...

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well there's more to this than simple "people are stupid" aspect.

There's a reason Derren Brown can manipulate so many people with his hypnotism/magic/psychological show in the UK--the human brain works a certain way.

9/11 is never called 9/11/01...Pearl Harbor however is easier to remember as "1941" a day that will live in "infamy"...but what day was that? Ha! Most people don't know this "infamous" day or date. 9/11 plays the same trick as it has become a "symbol" word instead of an answer--it's the old joke: "what's the phone number for 911?" People see only the symbol of the word and not what the word means--like a "green orange". Do you see a sweet piece of fruit that is green or do you see a greenish tint to the color of orange like a yellow-green? People's brains lock in and miss the other option.

Name the two cities? Well New York City was attacked obviously--but the "Pentagon" is not really a city, to those in D.C. I'm sure they know the answer. Take Pearl Harbor again--let's rephrase that as a question--"So what city did Japan bomb in 1941". You've just made people have to do some mental jumps from Pearl Harbor to "what city is Pearl Harbor in?", "Did they attack a city?".

Now don't get me wrong there are a lot of people in America that are media hypnotized and stuck in their social worlds ignoring or disinterested in anything of depth, they're just living day to day. And yes I'd say some people just aren't that bright. But these questions are also an example of how we retain (or don't retain) information.

[edit on 6/14/09 by Atomic]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
It's because people are so ready to forget history that the governing forces of the world are able to repeat these atrocities without persecution.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybobh3

Look at my Location: New Hampshire.

Did I call YOU stupid: I could have, but I didn't. It's a generalization that I believe in through my own observations.

Lose the blinders and open your eyes...

What I'm blind because I like and defend my country? Anyways forget this I donno even know why I'm checking this thread anyways its full of stuff that makes me angry!

And no you didn't call me stupid but the way a lot of people talk in this thread it sounds like they think every single american is stupid, and its not true and its ignorant to think that!

Back to the aliens/ufo and paranormal forum for me. lol

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

My point has only been proven.

Once again, yes I'm from this country: see my location.

Observe the details: know what you're talking/writing about.

Blind...

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I'm just going to address all the posts fired at me as a whole here:

I don't hate America. I think it is a beautiful country, and I have been there. The people are friendly and (depending where you go) very hospitable and likable.

I do, however, think that many Americans are completely apathetic in regards to their government and it's actions.

To think that the US went to war twice over September 11, and not every US citizen knows the details of that attack down to the letter is disgusting.

Think of how many Iraqi civilians and US troops have died in those wars. Shouldn't you all know why you are fighting? (If there is any reason at all).

Yes, there are 'stupid' people all over the world. No, I don't think America has more stupid people than anywhere else. American DOES, however, seem to have a much much higher rate of 'I don't care as long as it doesn't affect me' mentality.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
reply to post by fooffstarr

My god, we are truly a nation of idiots.
Sometimes I can barely control the urge to RUN LIKE HELL and get out of this dump before it's too late. It's a beautiful country, but most of the people suck.

You have obviously never been anywhere else if you truly believe that. I have seen idiots the WORLD over, and I have also seen Bright, Articulate, and Nice people ALL over the WORLD as well, including the United States. The one difference however, is that we in the U.S. truly do have it much better than the rest of the world, and I would not give that up for anything, not even for a second. Even my friends in England and the U.K. will tell you how our standard of living is far higher than theirs, and they are the International Location closest in Character and Substance to our very own.

If you wish to view ignorance, look at the issues taking place in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, the Gaza Strip, the West Bank, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia, Rwanda, even India, and oh so many other locales. Ignorance is everywhere, and even though we do have problems with it here, because we are human, and therefore not perfect, we are by-in-large a very warm, accepting, and intelligent people. If you still do not believe me, just ask my friends who have immigrated and fled to the United States from the aforementioned locations. Some of my friends even held a view very similar to yours indeed, at least until they travelled back to their "beloved" Home Countries, where they had spent what they deemed a great childhood. They came back here completely exasperated and in a state of disbelief, with the first words out of their mouths being: "You have no idea how lucky you have it here, I never want to go back over there".

As for the 9/11 Date issue, that is pathetic. I thought it was bad that people could never remember the dates of Pearl Harbor or D-Day, but September 11th? Come on now folks.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dino1989

Goodness, how can we possibly hope to educate these people on the true events of 9/11, when they don't even know what year, how many died, and where.

I really am astounded!

Back to the drawing board then for me!

Edit to add these people aren't necessarily stupid, I think that's an easy assumption to make. And a bit of an easy excuse for us, it just shows the power TV, Celebrity culture, consumerism and the Government has over the masses. It's more of a challenge to us than something to be angry about!

[edit on 14-6-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
I'm just going to address all the posts fired at me as a whole here:

I don't hate America. I think it is a beautiful country, and I have been there. The people are friendly and (depending where you go) very hospitable and likable.

I do, however, think that many Americans are completely apathetic in regards to their government and it's actions.

To think that the US went to war twice over September 11, and not every US citizen knows the details of that attack down to the letter is disgusting.

Think of how many Iraqi civilians and US troops have died in those wars. Shouldn't you all know why you are fighting? (If there is any reason at all).

Yes, there are 'stupid' people all over the world. No, I don't think America has more stupid people than anywhere else. American DOES, however, seem to have a much much higher rate of 'I don't care as long as it doesn't affect me' mentality.

I think this war is complete bull# and I wish it would end. My brother died in iraq and i've also lost 3 friends there. Most people (atleast where I live I can't speak for the rest of the country) know the reason for the iraq war is not wmds or any of that crap.

But yes I see your point now and I do agree with you a lot of americans do seem to blindly follow what the government says happened on 9/11 ect. I am sorry I thought with your other posts you were just simply saying all americans were stupid just because you don't like us.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Heh.. I think it is funny.

I have a great idea of what to do with all of the "edited-out" footage.. create an even more funny video called "Asked and Answered"

Then you intellectual types.. can just watch 9:59 minutes of all those people who gave the CORRECT answer. OVER and OVER and OVer again. Sound like fun? A barrel of munkies I tell ya!

I really get a kick out of the posters that give themselves a big ole pat on the back..and Tisk, tisk, tisk at all those ignorant, mainstream media brainwashed sheeple.

That is really all this 9/11 thing is about anyway..No?

Funny part is the ones doing the tiskin' are having their opinions moulded by heavily editied material that casts an unrealistic slant upon the presentation. ( whew, at least THIS instance it is for humor)

I suppose there are differing levels for "ignorance"...better yet stupidity.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr

.... American DOES, however, seem to have a much much higher rate of 'I don't care as long as it doesn't affect me' mentality.

I do agree with you on that particular sentiment. That was the very same mentality which allowed for the Taliban and Al-Qaeda to fester in Afghanistan in the first place. We decided that having more money for domestic spending was of a greater importance than investing in the security of a Nation which we aided in fighting against the Soviet Union. In doing so, we pulled all relations with that Nation, and as a result Bin Laden took a foothold, along with his extremist views of Jihad and all of that other garbage.

You might be surprised of the people who also have the view of: "Oh, just pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan, let them fight amongst themselves. We shouldn't worry about them, they'll solve their own problems". Yeah, well, seeing how that worked Pre-9/11, I would hate to witness such a catastrophe Post-9/11. On that same note however, Europe by-in-large is even more of that attitude than anyone else.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

I think you make a valid point here where many people don't really seem to care or see any relevance in current events that occur.

Unless you take a current events class, younger people aren't going to know too much about things like 9-11 and the following wars because they are not taught in schools. Yes it is history, but it is also current, and too many people don't follow the news.

While I believe that there are "stupid" people everywhere, I think the complacency most Americans have is relevant as well. In my personal experience, many people generally know few details, usually just the main idea or expressed idea about current events, like the elections, wars, etc. However there are many that do follow these things, and trust me, if frustrating for us as well to see our own friends and family like this.

Somewhat related, go to this link: www.sporcle.com.... This is a quiz that has you name every country in the world. When I first took it, I got around 165 out of 195, which I thought was bad. I then had friends and family try it, and they some just got atrocious amounts. I'm talking 50 to 60.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge
there are stupid people everywhere.

yes it's embarassing.
but it's an illusion as well.
remember...there are many idiots everywhere.

-

Yes.
As a New Zealander it is easy to sit back and knock 'Americans' (United States),or even let them do it for themselves....but there are many many intelligent 'Americans' who have done excellent work/research/assistance etc.

Embarrassing as it is, there are schoolchildren in New Zealand who don't know who David Lange was, who don't know about the 1981 Springbok Tour, who don't know about ANZUS or ASEAN etc and probably can't place a lot of towns on the map. There appears to be a shift away from 'history' and, dare I say it, a 'dumbing down' of people.

As a New Zealander it wouldn't be fair to comment on Australians other than to say that a former Prime Minister of ours (Rob Muldoon) said (when talking about NZers emigrating to Australia) that it 'raised the IQ on both sides of the Tasman"

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taxi-Driver
Heh.. I think it is funny.

I have a great idea of what to do with all of the "edited-out" footage.. create an even more funny video called "Asked and Answered"

Then you intellectual types.. can just watch 9:59 minutes of all those people who gave the CORRECT answer. OVER and OVER and OVer again. Sound like fun? A barrel of munkies I tell ya!

I really get a kick out of the posters that give themselves a big ole pat on the back..and Tisk, tisk, tisk at all those ignorant, mainstream media brainwashed sheeple.

That is really all this 9/11 thing is about anyway..No?

Funny part is the ones doing the tiskin' are having their opinions moulded by heavily editied material that casts an unrealistic slant upon the presentation. ( whew, at least THIS instance it is for humor)

I suppose there are differing levels for "ignorance"...better yet stupidity.

lmao exactly. I bet there was tons and tons of footage of people who got the answer right, I'm even willing to bet more people answered it right then wrong. But we'll never see that footage.

And thats very true a lot of these people probably don't even know one single american they are forming their opionon of americans from what they see on television, which is total crap.

Its funny too i haven't seen one single person in this thread say what they are doing thats good for the world. People can say this and that about america but half these people cant sit back and take a look at themselves. What exactly are you doing thats good for the world?

And you people that call other people blind and sheep just because they disagree with you are the worst of all.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join