It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby With Knife Held to Her Throat Saved by Amherst Police Use of TASER X26

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Baby With Knife Held to Her Throat Saved by Amherst Police Use of TASER X26

phx.corporate-ir.net

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., June 11, 2009 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- TASER International, Inc. (Nasdaq:TASR), the market leader in advanced electronic control devices (ECDs) issued the following NEWS Alert:

According to an article in the June 11, 2009 edition of The Buffalo News entitled, "Taser used to save baby who had knife at her throat," Amherst officers in New York used a TASER(r) X26 ECD to disarm and subdue a 19-year-old man who already slashed the 6-month-old infant in her neck with a knife.

According to the article, Timothy M. Green, assistant chief of the Amherst Police said, "This was a g
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
There's a lot of bad publicity out there about police using the Taser. I agree, it should not be the first tool to use in all cases. However, Taser International keeps record of all instances where there product saves a life, and where it has possibly taken lives, involving law suits. The Taser is a good tool when applied properly and in the right situations.

phx.corporate-ir.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The taser is better than a gun. I just can't stand the a-hole cops who use them for fun ...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Here's the full story, EXCELLENT JOB BY POLICE IN THIS INSTANCE!

Amherst Police used a Taser device to bring down a suspect early today after the man grabbed a 6-month-old infant and began to slash her throat in a West Amherst apartment complex.

The baby girl was reported to be in stable condition in Women & Children's Hospital, where she was taken after the dramatic encounter between the assailant and three officers shortly before 4 a.m.

Jeffrey Hernandez, 19, of Sweeney Street in North Tonawanda was arrested on felony counts of attempted murder and assault. He was identified by police as the boyfriend of the baby's mother.

"It was a terrible situation that could have been 10 times worse," said Timothy M. Green, assistant chief of the Amherst Police.

Green said three officers responded to an apartment on Travers Circle after the baby's 19-year-old mother called 911 to report that Hernandez was beating her.

When officers got to the apartment, they spoke briefly to the mother and then were confronted with the sight of Hernandez, holding the baby in his arms and putting a knife to her throat, police said.

"Two of the officers drew their guns, and the other officer pulled out the Taser," Green said. "They repeatedly told [Hernandez] to drop the knife, but he began to cut the throat of the baby."

One of the officers fired the Taser — which shoots an electrified projectile — at Hernandez.

"He dropped the baby, but then made a move toward her with the knife, and the officer fired the Taser at him again," Green said.

After that, officers grabbed Hernandez and put him in handcuffs. They administered first aid to the injured infant until paramedics arrived with a Twin City ambulance crew, Green said.

The two officers with guns were reluctant to shoot because they were worried that a bullet would hit the baby, or go through a wall and strike someone in another apartment, the assistant chief said.

"This whole thing was a quick, dramatic situation that happened in a very short time," Green said.

The baby's mother was treated at the scene but did not require hospitalization, police said.

Green said the Taser device has been in use by the Amherst Police for only a couple of months. He said a specially trained member of the department's Emergency Response Team used the device on Hernandez.

"This was a great example of officers having different tools at their disposal and using the right tool in this particular circumstance," Green said.

Police declined to release names of the baby, her mother or any of the officers involved in the incident. They said they do not believe that Hernandez is the father of the baby.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Indeed, good call on the side of law enforcement

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
It's always good to see ONE fine officer in a sea of rift raft. I think this is wonderful. I am not at all pleased with non lethal technology. It is getting more midevil(sp) by the week. Just look up DARPA, they create all sorts of wonderful non lethal technologies; which in the end kill.

Kudos to the few good officers!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
this is the first positive news article I've seen regarding the use of a taser i think ever. I thought it was a good tool when it first came out in law enforcement, and then it became clear that officers felt that they could be used with little or no discretion. These things need to be regulated strictly, regardless that in this case everything worked out ok.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
My stungun is 200 thousand volts. A police stungun is 50,000 volts. Yes I have used mine, more times than I care to say, and no one has ever died by my hand. It is HOW you used this weapon that determines whether the person receiving the electricity survives the shock or not. It is often used irresponsibly by police. Repeated shocks by the same weapon in rapid succession may very well kill a person. This is electricity we're talking about here after all.

Cops are told it's not lethal, then they go nuts with it and kill someone. It is only common sense that something this powerful could cause enough harm to muscles and nerves to cause serious injury or death.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Stun guns save FAR more lives than they take. Consider this: Every time a taser gets fired, a bullet does not. People tend to forget that. In the cases where people die by taser, it's the cop's fault and not the objects. Now consider the fact that many times the taser provides the only alternative to flat out shooting somebody. If it weren't for the taser, it would be bullets flying.

Oh, and not all cops are bad or misuse their tasers. If that were the case, you wouldn't hear about it on the news. It would be too common. You don't read about every traffic ticket that gets handed out, do you?

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

We should here about every ticket handed out. The entire system is corrupt. It is all about making money, and to answer your possible question...yes. Rebellion is the answer!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
Stun guns save FAR more lives than they take. Consider this: Every time a taser gets fired, a bullet does not. People tend to forget that.

Do you have statistical data that would corroborate your claims?

Providing this data is the least you could do.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
This is the only case I've heard where taser was useful.... and not used on traffic tickets or protest ect...

Stun guns save FAR more lives than they take.

wrong... they torture more lives....

Consider this: Every time a taser gets fired, a bullet does not. People tend to forget that. In the cases where people die by taser, it's the cop's fault and not the objects.

wrong.. taser is not ment to replace the gun.... people die from taser.

Now consider the fact that many times the taser provides the only alternative to flat out shooting somebody. If it weren't for the taser, it would be bullets flying.

wrong again...

Oh, and not all cops are bad or misuse their tasers. If that were the case, you wouldn't hear about it on the news. It would be too common. You don't read about every traffic ticket that gets handed out, do you?

Cops that carry taser are bad cops... and fat cops at that with no hand to hand combat training with psychological problems. And you do hear their abuse with the taser's in the news!

[edit on 13-6-2009 by imitator]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

In the world of Government, and it's employees, things are made to fit the intended outcome. In other words, give them a few days, and they'll produce the best of the best almost real documents...lol

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by imitator

Really? I don't use a Taser product, but I do have an extremely powerful stun gun. It has saved me quite a few times. I am also a well trained combat martial artist(Not to be confused with traditional arts). I was attacked recently at a coffee shop by a meth head. I knew that if I got into it with this guy that the meth eating away his bones would make him prone to taking far more damage than a healthy person. I also knew that if I didn't use my stun gun that I would go to jail for breaking this guys skull. So I used the stun gun. He's still alive, and the cops took him instead of me.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Please go the the site at the top of the page. It is the site for Taser International. There is plenty of data on their front page supporting the large number of lives their Taser products have saved. The data is usually from a news source, not from Taser.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by imitator

Same to you also imitator, go the the Taser site at the top of the page, if you care to educate yourself on the real data.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
More lives saved!

02/10/09 Madison Wisconsin Police Use TASER to End Suicide Attempt

01/09/09 Life Saved in Dangerous Texas Standoff as Police Use a TASER Device

12/29/08 Texas Police Use TASER On Burglar Suspect

12/17/08 Use of a TASER Device Saves Man's Life Says RCMP

10/28/08 'Suicide by Cop' Prevented as Police Use TASER Device On Connecticut Teen

10/21/08 18-Year-Old Michigan Woman Saved as Police Use TASER Device to Subdue Her From Injuring Herself With a Knife

09/17/08 Life of Michigan Man Saved as Police Use TASER Device to Prevent Suicide

09/06/08 Lives Saved as Police Use TASER Device to End Dangerous Domestic Dispute

08/13/08 Australian Police Use TASER Device to End Sword Rampage

07/25/08 Suicidal Man in Michigan Subdued With a TASER Device by Local Authorities

And the list goes on and on and on.....

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by skyeyes

Edit: for being a noob

[edit on 13-6-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   

From who, the people who were at each of these incidents?

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by skyeyes

I'm sorry skyeyes.

I confused you with another member (who hasn't posted those stats yet...)

Can I be forgiven?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join