It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarah Palin calls David Letterman "Dirty old Man" and implies he's unsafe around girls!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Does anyone remember what happened in 08 when David Shuster said something bad about Chelsea Clinton, and he even apologized.

Feb. 11, 2008 | David Shuster certainly didn't bargain for this. When the MSNBC reporter was guest-hosting on his network's "Tucker" last week, he was discussing Chelsea Clinton and her work on behalf of mother Hillary Clinton's campaign when he said, "[T]here's just something a little bit unseemly to me that Chelsea is out there calling up celebrities saying, 'Support my mom,' and apparently she's also calling these Super Delegates." Had he stopped there, Shuster might have stayed out of trouble. But he didn't; instead, he went on to ask, "Doesn't it seem like Chelsea is being pimped out in some weird sort of way?" Initially, Shuster seemed to believe he was in the clear. In a series of e-mails with the Clinton camp, he defended his words. The next morning, though, he had to take to MSNBC's "Morning Joe" to apologize, which he did again once more that day. He was, additionally, suspended for the comment.

Link

What bothers me about Lettermen is that he, as far as I know, will not admit he didn't wright the joke. I think it would be a lot better if he just maned up an admit his mistake; I didn't know which girl was there, thought it was the 18 year old.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic

It was about a 14 year old? Really? Letterman claims it wasnt. I guess you know better than he did, though.

Yes. Willow Palin (age 14) attended the game to which Letterman was referring, not Bristol. How could he refer to someone that wasn't even there?

Letterman wouldn't be the first person to change their story after the fact. He said what he said, now he has to fact the consequences. Isn't free speech great? Maybe Letterman and Imus can get together and cry to each other about it?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Forget Sarah coming onto the Letterman show.

If Dave has any guts, He'd invite Todd Palin on the Show.
Let Dave apologize to Todd, for trashing his 14 year old, and his wife.
I'd would actually tune in to Letterman for that show.
Heck, I'll bet the whole country would watch that exchange.

Dave Versus Todd.

Dave? are you listening? You need the ratings.

Why? Who is "todd" i mean i know he's her husband, but who is he that he's above being insulted?

Too many yuppie people in this country whose skin is wafer thin.

If the palin's are "perfect" like they claim - why can't they move past this easily?

Oh thats right. You're all doing the pandering for her. ...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by Fremd

Naturally, when Palin was running, she's going to show her family. All candidates do to some extent.

That doesn't make it right to say anything about their family though. The family of someone who's in the public eye is off limits, until a family member puts themselves into the spotlight, like McCain's daughter did.

Imagine the stink if Letterman had made a joke about Obama's kids.

I'm calling B.S. on this.

First, if you are going to use your children as shills to gain votes, you can't say they are off limits. It's a double edged sword. The hypocrissy in this line of thinking is incredible.

Second, the Bush twins were tabloid fodder for 8 years(heck, they even posted nude pictures of one of them). Everyone was okay with that.

Third, it was a damn joke, by a guy that is paid to make jokes. Get over it.

If Palin were a liberal this would not have happened at all because NOW would have been all over him. It's not a mom thing, it's not a daughter thing, it's a liberal vs conservative thing.

The NOW bunch have kept uber quiet on all of this.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

i've done google searching all day and

an awkard moment came during the 7th inning - her daughter was knocked up by alex rodriguez.

Okay - so i realize you conservative republicans are desperate for SOMETHING. Your party is crumbling beneath your feet. but let's try and focus for one second and look at this in something the rest of us call an intelligent fashion.

Let's set up the context:

There was none. He was talking about Sarah Palins trip to new york. Never mentioned anything about her daughter up to the point of the A-Rod joke.

Now, lets take what we know about the pop culture surrounding Sarah Palin: We know her Daughter, Bristol, right? How often has "Willow" been in the news? How often does "Willow" get talked about?

Has "Willow" ever been put in context with anything sexual?
No

But!

Bristol has to all of those.

So - given an INTELLIGENT evaluation of the joke on Letterman, an intelligent person can realize that he's talking about Bristol. How?

We didn't even know Willow was there until Palin said so.

So what these idiot conservative pundits are doing is saying "Boo Whoo he's talking about willow"

How do you know? Did he say Willow? Has he any reason to joke about it being willow?

No. All of the background to this idiot dysfunctional backwoods redneck family has been with her daughter BRISTOLs inability to keep her legs closed.

But i don't expect the GOP to exercise intellectual thinking when it comes to evaluating things in the real world. I expect about as much fromt he DNC as well, but the GOP really takes the cake on "out of context" and paraphrasing and pretending to know what's going on.

Seriously. Get over yourselves. It's desperation seething from your very pores. Get a new argument. This is as weak as your last attempt at president

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Fremd

Your party is crumbling beneath your feet.

And how does that have anything to do with you feeling it's ok to insult children on National television because you dislike Sarah Palin?

You already stated you hated her...so why dig yourself in a deeper hole.

All of your excuses and diatribe still does not change the fact that you don't care about 14 year olds being ridiculed like this.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I can't read through this whole thread, because I'll just get all fired up again.

I think his comments were in poor taste, but misunderstood and mostly harmless.

I think her comments were in poor taste but I understand them perfectly and they are not harmless. They are meant to stir controversy, garner attention and perpetuate political divisions in this country at a time when most people - on both sides of the aisle - are looking for common denominators to solve big issues.

IMHO, she is truly creepy. She uses patriotism and mommy-hood as a weapon in the culture wars.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I don't like either of them but at least he didn't try and be a competent politician...which Palin failed at

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
I can't read through this whole thread, because I'll just get all fired up again.

I think his comments were in poor taste, but misunderstood and mostly harmless.

I think her comments were in poor taste but I understand them perfectly and they are not harmless. They are meant to stir controversy, garner attention and perpetuate political divisions in this country at a time when most people - on both sides of the aisle - are looking for common denominators to solve big issues.

IMHO, she is truly creepy. She uses patriotism and mommy-hood as a weapon in the culture wars.

So it would be ok if I said that Michelle Obama had a "slutty stewardess" look?

Just asking. . .

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Fremd

I'm not pandering to, or for, any person. Just towards common decency.
If this happened to the Obama kids, I'd still look down on it.

And I still think Todd versus Dave would provide great ratings for Dave.
There's still a bit of old fashioned chivalry around..I think.

I was at a Grocery store once, and a clerk said something derogatory about my wife. I was close enough to hear it. I didn't hit him, but I had hold of his collar with both hands. Security asked me to leave, and I did. He was VERY respectful to my wife, AND me from then on.
Sometimes you've got to jerk a jerk by the collar.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Apples and Oranges. She's an adult playing a game of her choosing. And the outfit she wore in London was heinous.

The main point is the perpetuation of the false "us" vs. "them" dichotomy that brings humanity down.

[edit on 12/6/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fremd

i've done google searching all day and

an awkard moment came during the 7th inning - her daughter was knocked up by alex rodriguez.

Okay - so i realize you conservative republicans are desperate for SOMETHING. Your party is crumbling beneath your feet. but let's try and focus for one second and look at this in something the rest of us call an intelligent fashion.

Let's set up the context:

All the context I need is that Bristol was not at the game, Willow was. How can someone be "Knocked up" if they wasn't at the game? As much as the media love to follow Palin's every move it is not inconceivable that the target of the joke was Willow. Letterman changed his story after the fact.

Something that is never mentioned is that if Palin wasn't in NY raising money for charity she would have never been at that game.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Apples and Oranges. She's an adult playing a game of her choosing. And the outfit she wore in London was heinous.

But the "Black Widow" dress Michelle Obama wore on election night isn't considered "heinous" it's considered the "latest" style.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

The main point is the perpetuation of the false "us" vs. "them" dichotomy that brings humanity down.

I have to disagree. Both Palin and M Obama are in the public eye (politics) and the us vs them is actually being perpetuated by the left. If it had been Michelle as a target then NOW, any femenist group, and a few other groups (that just like to shout a lot) would have been marching down the streets demanding firing, apologies, and someones head on a pike.
Because it was a conservative, the rules suddenly change? If they want fairness, then anyone and everyone should get equal treament and respect REGARDLESS of their political denomination.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I have just one question...When did Sarah Palin become a pedophile herself? I have met her a few times, and her oldest son as well. Not even going into the obvious media bias on her and her's since the election, I have never heard of her being fond of little boys
And around here, that kind of info would get around pretty quickly. As for Letterman, I think her comments back to him were justified. There's no reason, with all the jokes he seems to come up with concerning her alleged lack of intelligence or wardrobe, that he should have to do the same about any of her daughters. That seems to be the latest "in" thing for the late night talk-show hosts these days...

[edit on 12-6-2009 by AK49er]

[edit on 12-6-2009 by AK49er]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Actually, NOW did issue a statement condemning Letterman's remarks.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Hey bob, this Lady did not become Governor of Alaska by being dumb. Honestly she has alot more upstairs than your average joe, and letterboy is merely a hack soon to be steamrolled by conan, because lets face it, obrien is MUCH more comedic than pasty dave.........

I really dont see how people can conclude these misconceptions about Palin, low IQ i guess?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I'll look for the link, I stand corrected.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Here's the link

www.now.org...

NOW actually did something I never thought they'd do. Break party lines and do the right thing.

I'm speechless. . . .

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Like that THING she wore that the press called an orange snake, that was almost as bad as the CRUSTY look she was shooting to Carla Bruni Sarkozy recently while overseas, the obamas have NO sense of etiquette at ALL!! They are an embarrasment to our country!!

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join