It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone noticed that food prices are going sky high?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I went to the grocery store a couple of times this week and have been completely blown over by the prices. They have been creeping up, but have mercy this is getting ridiculous. Some examples of what I seen this week in my area:

Eggs ----- $1.79 dozen

Loaf of bread ------- $2.98 each

Off brand tuna ------ $1.05 per can

Milk ----------- $3.99 Gallon

Pack of gum --------- $2.85 each

Beef Roast ---------- $7.99 per pound

Ice Cream ----------- $4.29 pint size

Orange juice ---------- $3.29 1/2 Gallon

Now depending on where you live these prices may not seem to bad but around here this is insane. I can only imagine if these prices are like this here what they would be in some places like NY or LA. Has anyone else noticed food prices going sky high in the last few weeks? I did end up going to several stores and buying what was on sale so I did not pay the above prices except for the milk that I could not find on sale any where. It took a lot of research and running around to get the most for my money. I spent more this week on groceries and brought home less food than ever before. I just wondered if anyone else has noticed or if anyone new why this is happening.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
It's trickle-down economics at work.

The cost of fuel, the current lack of jobs, increasing population, goverment oversight of food production all add to the costs we pay to feed ourselves.

Throw in environmental changes/pollution/disasters along with a still festering problem with how the US goverment deals with migrant workers and there you have it.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
huh that puts a new spin on things, I thought it was only in our country (fiji) as our dollar has been devalued, but this seems to be more widespread.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Melissa101

It has definately altered they way we eat at our house. I can't stand seeing other people in the store shopping now, their money just doesn't go anywhere, smaller and smaller amounts of groceries in the buggies, and a somber look on folk's faces. It's like we all know this is bad, and going to get worse, we comment at times ( I heard a lady exclaim 'good God, am I in AMERICA? at the cash register the other day), I encouraged everyone I know to grow a garden, most didn't. I just don't see it a changing anytime soon either.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Melissa101

Wow what state are you in? I live in FL and the food prices are going up here as well. Milk though is still only 2.99 last time I bought it and that was last week. Bread is 2 bucks...gum for that price really?! I have noticed prices going up on other things. I love the TGI Friday appetizers and they use to be $2 now they are $3. Other frozen foods I buy have gone up at least a dollar as well. Chicken and beef have gone up here too. I use to be able to go to the store with a written out budget but now prices seem to be going back and forth I cant figure out what it's going to cost when I get there. I usually go for the higher side lately.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Food prices here in the UK have been rising for quite some time now. For instance the cheapest loaf of bread on the market has more than doubled in price. I think it's to do with the ever rising cost of petrol and deisel. The increases in getting the food to the stores has to be passed on to the consumer, and since fuel is becoming more costly I wouldn't expect food prices to fall any time soon.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I'm in NH and food prices have gone through the roof. I can't believe how much just basic bread, eggs and milk have gone up. And forget orange juice -- that stuff is priced like liquid gold...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I'm in the midwest and have also noticed food prices inching their way up constantly. Every couple of days a new price. Not only that, things like Macaroni & Cheese are now in 7.25oz. boxes instead of the 16 oz. The old size fed three kids. The new smaller boxes only feed 1.25 kids. We are paying more and getting less.

I've got a salsa garden, a veggie vine garden, an herb garden and various flowers in raised beds in my small yard so that we can have fresh, organic (non-chemical) food. For the first time, we are going to can as much as possible for the future. Also I'm making all kinds of broths from meat scraps and bones to use with the bags of beans we're storing up.

When the bailouts began in late 2008, I started stocking up on staples like sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, etc. Those prices are hiking up too now. It may be time for people to relearn the skill of "homemade" just to be able to feed their families in the not-to-distant future.

Yesterday, I harvested some onions from my garden and made them in to a yummy soup. That 2 quarts of soup cost me about $2.00 all told. You can't even buy beef stock for $2.00.

I'd get some chickens if my zoning rules allowed it!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

I live in Middle TN. We put a garden this year too and plan on canning as much as possible just incase this gets any worse. Yea Orbit gum (my favorite) was 2.85 a pack at a chain grocery store so I went to a whole sale store and got it for 1.00 a pack. I am starting to think we need to get some chickens or a cow or something because of the prices of meat just keep going up and up. If things keep going neighborhood restictions will have to adjust to survival times and let us raise some animals, I mean we can not starve. I hear ya on the size of packages shrinking. That same box of macaroni and cheese now in reality costs over double because they cut the size in over half and raised the price so 16 oz of maccaroni and cheese now costs between $4.00 and $5.00. Holy Cow that is nuts!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut

I'd get some chickens if my zoning rules allowed it!

Somewhere in the lower mainland, BC, Canada I think they are beginning to allow people to have about 2 chickens in suburban settings, which I think is a step in the right direction.

We've gone too far away from the true comforts of self-sufficiency IMO.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Organic products are sky high too.

Hard to find at a resonable price......

I have quite a few things in my garden this year.....

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

I've noticed a small, but significant, change in prices over the past year myself. However, it depends on what your after and what deals are about. A single loaf of Hovis, for example, is around £1.39, but a loaf of Tesco own is about 50p. However, Tesco currently have a deal on where you can buy 3 loaves of hovis for £3, so dropping their price by 28% if you take the deal, so you can get good quality bread for quite a low price.

It all depends on how you shop and, more importantly, how you eat. eating pre-prepared food, sucyh as Birds eye coated chicken breats for example, costs more than buying some chicken breasts yourself and doing the coating yourself.

And like I showed above, there are always deals on in the UK supermarkets (due to fierce competition for your cash) so you can save quite a bit. Couple that with the loyalty schemes they offer and you can actually SAVE a hell of alot of money.

I did a shop a couple of weeks ago that came to £93, but after the savings the deals gave me, plus adding a Clubcard voucher discount I had, I only spent £62!! A wopping saving for a months worth of food for me, the missus and two sprogs.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The stores in my area (centel Indiana) really seem to fluctuate from ridiculously high on some things, to having great sales; when things go on sale that we use I try to buy them even if I have several already.

And, use coupons!! Things aren't going to get any better, I'm afraid. Stock up people.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Here's what i did because i cry everytime i go foodshopping:

This week i opted to purchase two packages of top of the line steaks. $20.00/pack/2 steaks in each package.

Thats right. I dont care if i have to eat cereal the rest of the week. I decided this time i wanted to enjoy MY FOOD FOR ONCE.

We pay top of the line $$$$$$ here because food has to be sent across a bridge...big deal right?????
Makes sense. A bridge is so hard to cross

In any case, treat yourselves with a damn good meal at least once a week and remember, you deserve it.

Tomorrow is another miserable day.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.
Food prices here in the UK have been rising for quite some time now. For instance the cheapest loaf of bread on the market has more than doubled in price. I think it's to do with the ever rising cost of petrol and deisel. The increases in getting the food to the stores has to be passed on to the consumer, and since fuel is becoming more costly I wouldn't expect food prices to fall any time soon.

Oh please do some research and stop sprouting MSM propaganda. The rise in prices have nothing to do with the rise in gas prices. The rise in prices is due to inflation caused by Your government printing up money like its going out of style. The more money You print up with no backing means the money looses its value. So when Your money looses value the prices of goods rise because it takes more money to buy them. Your government is screwing You and You don't even know it.....

Do some research and watch "Money Masters" & "Money as Debt" on google video...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jkm1864

Indeed. The value of the Pound has plummetted over the past 6 months against the Euro and even came close to parity with the dollar a few months back! That is a sign that the currency is weak.

Thankfully, this has had a nice effect on UK farming as we are now importing less food and growing more at home, this has helped stabalise prices somewhat and the Pound has surged over the past week helping imports.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Food is high in Kansas also if you don't know how to shop.

I see a few people saying how expensive orange juice is and one person saying how it is 3.29 for half a gallon.

Why not buy frozen OJ? It is alot cheaper and you can make it to your liking. If it is to strong add water, if you like it strong add less water. They make it with pulp and pulp free.

4.29 for a pint of Ice Cream? Put back the Breyers or Tom & Jerrys and grab a big plastic tub for the same price. It tastes just as good. Buy a bag of cookies and make your own cookies and cream ice cream. All supermarkets carry them.

1.79 for eggs isn't really that bad considering all the differant dishes you can make with them.

7.99 per pound for Beef Roast? Put it back and reach for the hamburger. You can buy several pounds for the cost of one pound of roast and you can make alot more tasty dishes from it.

Not trying to come off as holier than thou. I'm just trying to point out a few great alternatives to some of the things that was listed.

FYI- for a cheaper alternative to making a lasagna you can buy the family size stouffers lasanga for 10 dollars. It tastes really good and they sell differant kinds. No need to buy the cheese, meat, noodles, tomato sauce and any other ingrediant you need to make one homemade.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
FYI- for a cheaper alternative to making a lasagna you can buy the family size stouffers lasanga for 10 dollars. It tastes really good and they sell differant kinds. No need to buy the cheese, meat, noodles, tomato sauce and any other ingrediant you need to make one homemade.

I agree with the bulk of what you're saying, but quite often a homemade meal is quite often alot cheaper to make than a ready made one, so I've found.

I even make my own pasta and have started making my own bread, it really is so easy. Flour is so cheap and so versatile, yet few people seem unwilling to spend the extra time needed to make their own food and instead buy pre-made stuff.

Granted, some people might not have the time, but I personally make the time to cook from scatch, it's definately worth it not just on price, but it often tastes better and is healthier.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I'm not saying it isn't cheaper then making it from scratch, although some things are. I was talking about it being cheaper then buying the ingrediants from the supermarket.

But like you said, most people don't have the time to make everything from scratch, if you don then great.

You should try out that lasagna I mentioned. I have eaten real honest to God Italian food in Italy and this almost as good.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I'm in Eastern Ontario and I've noticed prices climb around 30% in the last year. Milk is in the stratosphere but cheese isn't huh?

Not only that but our Dollar Store had to change their sign from "Everything for a Dollar" to ALMOST Everything for a Dollar".

The kids were the first to notice it so I seized the opportunity to explain inflation and the importance of spending wisely.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join