It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone noticed that food prices are going sky high?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Yep, I couldn't agree more. Every Thursday night is our "at home date/steak/bottle of wine" night....

He has spent up to $50 for the wine (being the wine know-it-all he is!
)...but, it is worth it, and even if sometimes we have to skip a week it is still cheaper than going out. More talking, candles, calm, and we feep like it is a treat. The rest of the week I spend a LOT less for food items and it works out fine...for now. Hopefully in the upcoming days we'll be able to keep this "treat" night. I would settle for once a month if/when it gets really bad.

Thanks!
FMF

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
We clip coupons now. Prices are going up here in S Florida and I just saved $20 on my last bill clipping coupons. Get ready because this is not the end food prices are going to go much higher along with gas prices and everything else. Thank inflation....

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I just got back from the grocery. Guess what? They have been remodeling and had a table about 10 feet long with discontinued wines marked down 75%!...can you believe that after my post earlier tonight??

I bought 11 bottles of varying levels, cheapies to nicer ones, and spent $60...I was in disbelief! I put them down in the basement with my other "stock up items"...the check-out lady said there is more to come in they want to sell and get rid of....you just never know what gems you will find in the discount isle!
There were a lot of people doing the same, so I imagine this won't last long until it is all gone.
Thought you all would like this "follow up story"...amazing! I would go back this weekend but I am at my limit until payday next week *sigh*...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
With these prices I can no longer complain.I'am in a small town in illinois.Here is ours without being on sale.

Eggs ----- $1.79 dozen - 1.09

Loaf of bread ------- $2.98 each - 1.13

Off brand tuna ------ $1.05 per can - .69

Milk ----------- $3.99 Gallon - 2.79 for 2%

Pack of gum --------- $2.85 each - 1.19 for bubblemint orbit my fave

Beef Roast ---------- $7.99 per pound - 5.69

Ice Cream ----------- $4.29 pint size - 2.79 for generic half gallon

Orange juice ---------- $3.29 1/2 Gallon - 3.29 for 1 gallon

Edited to add most are for the generic brands which is what we purchase.Very few things have I tasted a difference in.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by dee132423]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Melissa101

Yeah, it's getting way out of control.
Makes me glad I moved out of New York.
Thank the dark lord that we have a Trader Joe's near me...that place is a life saver.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The soup we buy went up 28 cents a can in just two weeks.
And that's at a big box store, I'd hate to see what the grocery store is charging for it.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
If you're in the UK, one word...Nettos

I can fill a trolley for £80, if you choose carefully. Just don't buy ready to eat burgers, the one-minute microwave things, as i think i found a cows tooth in one once when i bit into it; it's put me off for life buying that kind of ready-to-go food @ bargain basement supermarkets.

Also, i pay £26 per month for gas AND electric...beat that

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Wow what state are you in? I live in FL and the food prices are going up here as well. Milk though is still only 2.99 last time I bought it and that was last week. Bread is 2 bucks...gum for that price really?! I have noticed prices going up on other things. I love the TGI Friday appetizers and they use to be $2 now they are $3. Other frozen foods I buy have gone up at least a dollar as well. Chicken and beef have gone up here too. I use to be able to go to the store with a written out budget but now prices seem to be going back and forth I cant figure out what it's going to cost when I get there. I usually go for the higher side lately.

What the heck. TGI Friday appetizers here are 6 bucks. But they've been at that price for a long time almost a year now I believe.

Geesh where do you guys live our area must be getting the bad end of the stick.

All of our food went up about 9 months ago or so. Everything by close to 100% and higher.

Heck just one normal sized white walmart sack of food that once might cost me 30 for the past 9 months or so has been averaging about 70.

All the cheap TV dinners that were a buck a dinner doubled, tombstone pizza's which I use to buy all the time right around 3 bucks went up to 4.50 overnight so I just as well get the expensive pizza sense it is no longer the expensive brand anymore.

If you eat a lot of meat here you might as well just buy seafood as the regular meat prices are right on par with the seafood prices so not sure why sea food hasn't skyrocketed with the rest.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Darthorious

Gosh I thought I had it bad but you have it terrible. I think the larger cities are much higher than the ones like I live in. Yes grocery prices went up last year Like you said about 9 months ago when the gas went up but they never came down when the gas prices came down. Guess the makers of food products decided to keep prices high and pocket large profits. Imagine after this years gas prices rise as they have started doing (2.45 GAL here) what will happen to our food prices. If they go up again like they did last year more and more people will go hungry and crime will be unbearable with people stealing to feed there families. Last week in our area a man robbed a store with a ball bat and the owner pulled a gun on the robber then the robber started crying and explaining that he and his family were hungry and that he would never realy hurt anyone. The store owner gave the guy $40.00 and a box of groceries. Just goes to show how bad it is getting and what we have to look forward to if things get worse.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Yep- thats why I go to Trader Joes

Cheap groceries rule

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

Who is your energy supplier? Mine is a little dearer than that (around £35/month each!) and I'd like to know who you got your deal off, if you don't mind?

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Scottish Power - Product: Online Energy Saver 5

I use energy light bulbs and have put aluminium foil behind radiators and never turn the immersion heater on. I boil the kettle to wash up. I never have a bath but only shower. In the winter i wear tin foil underneath a woolly hat to stay warm. When it's really cold, i wrap up in a duvet. Last winter i only turned on my radiators six times, when it was so cold you can see your own breath condensate.

Also, i pay £9 per month for water as i had a meter fitted (Severn Trent). They just put you on a £26 per month tariff otherwise, regardless of how much water you use.

I moan so much to my broadband provider (Orange) and threaten to leave every year so they give me 6 months free. I pay £9.99 per month for 6 months and other 6 months = free for 8MB connection. My argument is that they continually lie about advertised speeds and i think they agree to shut me up.

I pay £139 per year for car insurance on a fiesta with 5 years no claims through a French insurance company that ordinarily insures agricultural equipment (that's what the broker said when i phoned them); they are called Group Ama. I pay the insurance all in one go, to avoid monthly charges.

All i need now is to build my free energy Tesla machine, so i can get off the grid, and a Joe cell for my car to avoid the extortionate fuel price hike

[edit on 13-6-2009 by PrisonerOfSociety]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhotonEffect

Yep- thats why I go to Trader Joes

Cheap groceries rule

I price shop all the time, and use coupons Im can not afford not to. We do not have a Trader Joes here but we got a new store called Aldies but something about it bothers me. None of their food tastes like it is supposed to. I mean it is not bad but lacks flavor. I have no idea where these brands come from I have never heard of any of them but their prices are very very cheap. I mean the eggs are .49 a dozen and bread is like .69 a loaf this sounds good but the bread has no taste it is like eating cardboard and the eggs they have no taste at all. You do not even smell them when you boil them and cut them open like other eggs so I am worried about buying food there to feed my family something about it just is not kosher to me. Anyone else have an Aldies and know what I am talking about? I like organic foods but they are often double in price than non organic foods so I cannot afford them often, but organic has the best flavor next to home grown or homemade.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I really haven't noticed any sudden jump in prices near me (suburbs of Philadelphia), but we have lots of competition....at least 5 major grocery chains, a BJ'S Wholesale Club, and a Super Walmart (although it is out of my way to go there). I plan out my weekly shopping as soon as I get the sale circulars and match up coupons---I end up with several free items every week (even little things like free butter and salad dressing help). I shop at 3 different supermarkets and BJ's and am still able to get quite a bit of food for little money. Bread around here is as low as $1.50, sometimes lower, for a whole wheat loaf. A 48 oz (no more 1/2 gallons
) container of ice cream goes for around 2.50. I'm expecting things will not stay this way forever though. This may be difficult for rural people, but shopping around between different stores helps a lot.

Edit: I have an Aldi near me as well with even lower prices but I have never been in there...I haven't heard anything bad about them..just no "brand names". I can usually still do better with coupons at the market (especially since most double the value)

[edit on 13-6-2009 by compwiz32190]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melissa101
I went to the grocery store a couple of times this week and have been completely blown over by the prices. They have been creeping up, but have mercy this is getting ridiculous. Some examples of what I seen this week in my area:

Eggs ----- $1.79 dozen

Loaf of bread ------- $2.98 each

Off brand tuna ------ $1.05 per can

Milk ----------- $3.99 Gallon

Pack of gum --------- $2.85 each

Beef Roast ---------- $7.99 per pound

Ice Cream ----------- $4.29 pint size

Orange juice ---------- $3.29 1/2 Gallon

Now depending on where you live these prices may not seem to bad but around here this is insane. I can only imagine if these prices are like this here what they would be in some places like NY or LA. Has anyone else noticed food prices going sky high in the last few weeks? I did end up going to several stores and buying what was on sale so I did not pay the above prices except for the milk that I could not find on sale any where. It took a lot of research and running around to get the most for my money. I spent more this week on groceries and brought home less food than ever before. I just wondered if anyone else has noticed or if anyone new why this is happening.

Here in SoCal, went to the store (Vons) today. Here's a few prices for comparison with Walmart and different areas of the country.

Eggs......$3.50 per 18 pak, vice a dozen

Sara Lee Bread, white....$3.98

Milk 2%.................2 Gal for $3.98

Orange Juice..........1 gal $6.99

Dairy Glen Ice Cream Neapolitan.......1 gal...$5.59

Diet Coke 12 pak......2 for $4.00

NY Strip Steak........$3.47 lb

London Broil...........$3.69 lb

Chicken Boneless breast......$5.49 lb

Broccoli............$1.49 lb

Cucumber.......2 for .99

Bananas...........$ .67 lb

Also at Walmart:

Kraft Mac and Cheese .50 per box (7.25oz)

Frosted Cheerios cereal....$2.68

Sara Lee Bagel, plain (6).....$2.68

Hot Dogs (bun size franks) .....$2.50

Pop Tarts.....$1.50

Campbell's Soup Clam Chowder......$1.98

Orange Juice 1 Gal.......$6.28

Note: We usually get our meat at military commissary, but didn't feel like making the drive this time around. It's cheaper and usually better cuts.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The price of everything is going up, and your getting less. Anyone notice that. We buy Dial Soap, and recently the bars of soap have gotten less in weight, and appearance. You can tell that they give you less. Same with Wal-Mart brand Tuna. Smaller cans but more money. Guess the economy goint in the toilet effected everyone. Even the big corporations.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

LOL - you haven't been finding these tips on MSE have you?

I hope you use quidco too to get a pound back on your enormous outgoings!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Notice sizes going down....like waffles. Price is the same, about 1.90 at Walmart, basically unchanged....but now there's 6 in a box and not 8.
Cereals...a lot are now 2-4 ounces less. Coffee - great price, but look, you're not getting a pound anymore, but 12 or 14 ounces.

THe toilet paper? That roll is just as thick but notice it doesn't fit on the thingy in the bathroom like it used to? That's because the rolls are not as TALL as they used to be!!

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

You asked :
Anyone noticed that food prices are going sky high?

Yes !

But, remember, after what they did to the dollar this year, this is only the beginning ...

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by fullmoonfairy
The stores in my area (centel Indiana) really seem to fluctuate from ridiculously high on some things, to having great sales; when things go on sale that we use I try to buy them even if I have several already.

And, use coupons!! Things aren't going to get any better, I'm afraid. Stock up people.

I'm outside of Atlanta and have found the same thing. One week a 12-pack of Coke is on sale for $2.50 and the next it is $4.89 but store brand is always $1.80! A watermelon is $5.99, but a cantaloupe is $1.00. Store brand coffee is $3.49 for 12 oz but name brand is twice that. Store brand cereal is $2.00 per box but Cheerios is over $4.00 per box. Store brand buns are $1.19 for eight and bakery buns are $4.00 per eight. When things are on sale, it is usually very low and then the price doubles the next week. We also buy extra when things are on sale. TP is the one item which really kills me -- man, I bought an 8 pack of Charmin on sale today and it was $6.00! Coupons do make a difference, and I buy my gas at the grocery store because it is always 10 cents off per gallon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join