It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

did anyone in Phoenix, AZ see the bright light tonight?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Hi, everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone who lives in the Phoenix, Arizona area saw the same light as my friends and neighbors did tonight, and if so, if you can tell me what it is.

Here's a brief description:

At 7:44 pm, I received a phone call. Around 8:00, I listened to the message my friend left, who told me that he was driving home, and saw a bright light in the sky. He wanted me to go out and see if I also saw it. He told me to look in the northwest sky. I immediately walked outside to the park next to my townhouse complex, and sure enough, I saw a very bright light in the sky. VERY bright. Airplanes were flying in that area also, but they looked tiny and very dim, compared to the light.

My neighbor walked into his house and brought out some binoculars. He let me look through them, and what it looked like to me was maybe something that was rounded on one end and flat on the other, but very bright, so it was hard to make out the edges. There also seemed to be a darker area in the center.

I called my friend in Tempe, who said that she could also see it.

I finally came in around 8:15 or so, because the light hadn't moved for about a half an hour, so I figured it was probably a bright planet. But I have never, ever in my life ever seen a planet that bright.

Anyone know if Venus is out this time of year? I got some pictures with my digital camera, but it only looks like a bright star....but I"ll post them in a few minutes. I tried to get one with a plane flying below it, but I think I snapped it too late.

----
Addendum: my friend just called and he told me he's going to e-mail me the pictures from his cell phone. He took the pictures when the sky was very light, and also when it was dark.

I don't think it was a star, because it was too light for stars to come out when the sky was as light as it was when he first saw the bright light.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by nikiano]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I also live in Phoenix in the Northwest valley and observed the same. Your timing was right on the mark when we got the call and went out to look.

I assumed it was also a star but extremely bright. Brighter than any other star I have seen before.

I went back inside and returned 15 minutes later and it had disappeared. No sign of movement when observing.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
damn completely missed this one...

drat...

i'll be at the Merc bar, by the Biltmore after 11:00 tonight, if you want to discuss this i'll buy you a drink... ask Simon behind the bar for SDK, totally being serious...

no joke, always looking to add to my network of trained eyes

[edit on 11-6-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

I confirm this event...actually I was the one that phoned him

Never ever seen something so bright and I live in the East Valley of Phoenix. Mesa to be exact.

Was quite amazing.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by solarstorm]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Thanks, everyone for their confirmations....and for the offer for the drink.

I might just take you up on the offer, because I don't have to work tomorrow.

Ok, I have 5 photos I want to post, but I don't know how, because I've never posted photos before. Do I have to post them to my photo album first, before I can post them to the thread? Or can I post them directly to the thread.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano
Thanks, everyone for their confirmations....and for the offer for the drink.

I might just take you up on the offer, because I don't have to work tomorrow.

Ok, I have 5 photos I want to post, but I don't know how, because I've never posted photos before. Do I have to post them to my photo album first, before I can post them to the thread? Or can I post them directly to the thread.

You can post them on ATS Media, on your account there.
Just go here to ATS MEDIA
Go to the upper right side to MY ACCOUNT, MY PICTURES
Upload.....then post the [ atsimg] code here!

[edit on 6/11/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Just heard from the local news that it is a research balloon heading east? They say the altitude is about 41,000 feet high.

Now they say (channel 3) that the balloon is sent by a company out of New Mexico and heading East, but that just doesnt make a lot of sense.

They did provide pictures and it clearly looked like the outline of a balloon.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Cool. Can't wait to see the pictures. It's gonna suck if it turns out to be a star though.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeffro

A fricken research balloon that BIG! It seems there is just NO WAY possible!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Ok, here are the 5 pics. Some of them are really bad, because my hand was shaky, and so it looks like a streak of light, but a couple of them turned out well.

Pictures 2 and 4 seem the best to me. I moved my hand while taking the pictures in the other 3, but I'm posting them, anyway.

I hope I'm doing this right...let me know if you can't see the pics.

picture 1:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac510e74d94f.jpg[/atsimg]

picture 2:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0066e88bfa12.jpg[/atsimg]

picture 3:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c0c8a5240489.jpg[/atsimg]

picture 4:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d00e192b09eb.jpg[/atsimg]

picture 5:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5e3d5b63048e.jpg[/atsimg]

Niki

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeffro
Did MSM make up a story with stock photos saying it's a weather balloon after reading this thread?

[edit on 11-6-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

Yeah, you're right. No way that was a research balloon. A super-nova, maybe. A bright star, maybe. But a balloon? No way. The size was enormous (compared to the other planes in the sky) and I don't think anything man-made, that far away, could possibly put out that much light.

How big are research balloons, anyway? Because for it to appear much much larger than airplanes, that thing would have had to be HUMONGOUS.

edit for an afterthought:

I don't think it was a star, thought, because it was still pretty light when it first appeared, and there are no other stars visible in the night sky.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by nikiano]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano
reply to post by solarstorm

Yeah, you're right. No way that was a research balloon. A super-nova, maybe. A bright star, maybe. But a balloon? No way. The size was enormous (compared to the other planes in the sky) and I don't think anything man-made, that far away, could possibly put out that much light.

How big are research balloons, anyway? Because for it to appear much much larger than airplanes, that thing would have had to be HUMONGOUS.

Not only that but do weather balloons stay absolutely still with no movement?

PHAGE where are you?????

[edit on 11-6-2009 by solarstorm]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
If you go to STELLARIUM

Stellarium is a free open source planetarium for your computer. It shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope.
It is being used in planetarium projectors. Just set your coordinates and go.

and download their free software (its awsome
), you can plug in your location and time of sighting and see what stars/planets were visible.

This might tell you whether or not it was a star!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thanks for all your help. I'm downloading it now, and I'll let you know what I find out.

Yes, solarstorm, I agree with you. That thing stayed absolutely still. It did not move one, tiny bit. Isn't the purpose of weather balloons to float up higher and higher?? It didn't float. It didn't budge. It didn't move. It just....sat there. It was absolutely motionless.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
A friend just sent me a couple pictures. He saw the same light...says it just vanished all the sudden.

top right

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The story has hit the news there!

www.azfamily.com...

Another strange white light in Phoenix sky
More Phoenix Local News

09:33 PM Mountain Standard Time on Thursday, June 11, 2009

azfamily.com / 3TV

PHOENIX – 3TV was inundated with phone calls Thursday night after many spotted a bright white light in the sky.

Many callers were disappointed that the white light was only a research balloon. It was launched by a company based in Palestine, Texas and was sent out of New Mexico.

azfamily.com’s Meteorologist April Warnecke reports the balloon is roughly about 41,000 feet up in the air, which is why it seems like the light does not move.

And VIDEO

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Dup post!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

I saw it, I live at Cavecreek and Beardsley - just off the 101 and Cavecreek. It was the brightest and largest object I have ever seen.

My details below:

UFO Phoenix Arizona 6-11-09

My wife and I just sat outside with just about half the neighborhood and watched a huge diamond shaped object for over 45 minutes. The object started out looking spherical and then changed to a diamond and became brighter and was self illuminated as the sun went down.

In the first few minutes we are only taking images and as we were a military helicopter went over the house and was heading in the direction of the object. Several planes were in the area and they were doing circles. They would fly towards the object, circle to the left and come right to head towards the object again. I live in Phoenix in the north central valley. A friend who lives to the West in Sun City called and said it looked like it was right over his house. So to me the object in my image is twenty miles away and at least 6,000 to 8,000 feet up.

I am not saying it is extra terrestrial, just that it is a UFO. It was the brightest and largest object like this I have ever witnessed. With my little Nikon camera, it doesn't do it justice. To the naked eye it was much larger and brighter than my zoom could handle.

I did my best, sorry I went sideways for a second but in the moment you really don't think you just react.

I have video and images. Here is the You tube link:

www.youtube.com...

Here is the military chopper
pic40.picturetrail.com...

Here is a still image of the object

Here it is a little larger

I loaded the video on You tube just now, not sure how long until it posts. Just wanted to share what we saw. Take care all

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I live in New Mexico and I have seen these balloons many times. They are spectacular and are huge. They do hang in one place for a long time.

The first time I saw these things I also thought it was a ufo. It was a ufo until Ch 7 clued us in because of the many calls of ufo siteings. Weather balloon.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join