It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Digital Transition *June 12 event* Updated Info

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

well thats all well and good for you, but you know, there are people out there who have to work pretty hard to even put food on the table. God forbid they want to sit down and watch Seinfeld after a long day in the salt mines.

They have been able to push multi-terrabytes in seconds though a single strand of fiber optics in Japan, so you can imagine the exponential factor in which we consume (soon) outdated electronics.

Originally posted by audas

TV is for idiots

yes, because the content you can watch online is so very different from what can be viewed on a television.

too bad we cant watch you tube on our TVS! how else would we get to see some cat dressed like an 18th century mercantile worker dancing around to the time warp?!?

[edit on 11-6-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

Yea ive heard the E3 thingy too. I heard that sky sports was doing it, along with a few other channels.

The best way to watch TV is on the internet. No adverts, can pick the episodes, and easy to find the program you want, not to mention the extream cheapness (£0.00)

Thats what i do, TV is pritty awful now days, its either reality TV, trying to make an interesting show about 10people sitting around a house doin sod all and bitching about each other, or quiz shows, or the god awful talk shows (Dr Phill, i realy smeggin hate that guy!!)

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

thats rather valid, but at the same time I could have sworn I read in some trade publication that most people purchasing new TVs in the past years are 10 times more likely to subscribe to a pay delivery system, making their built-in tuners seemingly obsolete, at least until they cancel their services and go to free 'over the air' broadcasting.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

No doubt... thus averting any issue(s) with the switchover. coaxial connections FTW, if you will.

for those subscribing to any sort of cable or satellite service, no worries whatsoever - digital tuner in the receiver.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c

... not quite...

alexandriava.gov...
Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) digital tuner rule specified that all televisions manufactured after March 1, 2007 must include digital tuners.

.... Sells mOar higher-end units, that way.

Originally posted by worldwatcher

Of course the smaller digital handheld tv are much more expensive so this year we will sorely miss the coverage and will be without tv if we are affected by a hurricane.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by worldwatcher]

Can i get an engineers opinion on how hard it would be to add a small battery pack to all TVs made (under a certain size anyways) that would allow you to receive emergency broadcast updates in the event of a loss of power?
maybe just audio and the written closed captioning to conserve power.

well, I dont know, I could see some people wasting the pack on American Idol or some jazz,

maybe radios are better for that situation.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I heard in my neck of the woods, Comcast is offering basic cable for $9.99 a month for those who don't want to get the converter box. Also there are govt programs in Florida that are providing funds to purchase the converter box to low income families.

Basic cable is regulated by most local franchise agreements and is a must carry for pretty much every place that can get cable. The price is regulated by area also so that 9.99 will probably be different then somebody else with the same package in a different area.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Yeah my parents get basic cable, but they have a few different channels than the basic cable package on my side of the state, both come Time Warner, but Mom and dad have two more channels and pay one dollar less.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join