It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Digital Transition *June 12 event* Updated Info

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Well the Digital Television Transition is Finally here. Most TV stations and viewers went to Solo digital power back in February, But the FCC and the NAB pleaded with some major market stations to keep transmitting their analog signal until June 12th 2009.

That all ends tomorrow.

Essentially, if you pay money for your television service, IE (cable, satellite, broadband), then your signal provider has already made all the necessary changes to to provide the best possible digital signal for you and its customers.

HOWEVER, if you use Rabbit Ears to watch TV, then off course you *MAY* need a converter box, or else you will not be able to watch your television.

gotta love how that works out huh?

If you have a converter box, then I HIGHLY Suggest rescanning for all the available channels at some point this weekend through the converter box's Menu function.

Also, there might be small gaps of down time with local stations as some stations have to Physically move their digital antenna to the preferred sweet spot on their transmission towers.

*edited to clarify, see 12m8keall2c's post below

[edit on 11-6-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
cant fight progress. it was bound to happen eventually, though it is an unfortunate time financially

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I think I see where the Op is going with this.

I think he is employing that the switch to all digital tv transmissions will cause many more people who don't pay cable or satellite bills to start doing so.

Of course, the converter box is only, what $50, much cheaper than getting cable or satellite service.

Just saying...

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Kevin_X1

I know what you mean. In certain markets, some stations are simply shutting down tomorrow, because they have no digital infrastructure. Combine that with DISMAL add revenues from dying companies. its not a pretty picture for some.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
In the UK we have something called Freeview. The box is like £20, and you get round 20-30 digital channels for free subscription, they've been building freeview in the TVs now, and have been for a wile.

We all knew this was going to happen, the next will be HD, were channels will only broadcast in HD, but that wont be for another 10years or so

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Thank you, I will keep this in mind if I decide to ever unpack the TV I have boxed up, and watch some "programming".

There are some quality shows on television, but overall it's a negative net sum experience.

Better to pick up interesting movies and series on DVD. Hint: drop by pawn shops, they often have racks filled with cheap used DVDs. Check for scratches before you buy!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I heard in my neck of the woods, Comcast is offering basic cable for $9.99 a month for those who don't want to get the converter box. Also there are govt programs in Florida that are providing funds to purchase the converter box to low income families.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
On side note, i wanted to add that for anyone having to get rid of their tvs, please don't dump them in the landfill. Find a local recycler that takes them, or best buy is taking any tv under 36 inches to be recycled for free.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23

HOWEVER, if you use Rabbit Ears to watch TV, then off course you need a converter box, or else you will not be able to watch your television.

... not quite...

alexandriava.gov...
Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) digital tuner rule specified that all televisions manufactured after March 1, 2007 must include digital tuners.

... as long as your TV isn't over two years old, you'll be just fine.

Retailers were also required to display a consumer alert along side any analog-only television being sold.

CONSUMER ALERT
This television receiver has only an analog broadcast tuner and will require a converter box after February 17, 2009, to receive over-the-air broadcasts with an antenna because of the Nation's transition to digital broadcasting. Analog-only TVs should continue to work as before with cable and satellite TV services, gaming consoles, VCRs, DVD players, and similar products. For more information, call the Federal Communications Commission at 1-888-225-5322 (TTY: 1-888-835-5322) or visit www.DTV.gov.

There's been a lot of hype over the whole digital switchover, and it's led to a slew of consumers being either mislead with regards their "needs" as well as confusing digital-tuner TVs with HD TVs. Of course, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of clarification coming from the retailers or the manufacturers.... Sells mOar higher-end units, that way.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Redbox for a $1 a day. Pretty cheap.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Bring it on. I haven't bothered getting a converter box. I wonder how long I can survive without infomercials, reality shows, or fox news. I'm betting the pain won't last long.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The only thing that really bothers me about this switch, is that our little handheld tv's will now be useless during and after a hurricane. I can't tell you the number of hurricanes my little $10 tv got me through, it was a comfort to see the imagery on the screen instead of only trying to picture it from the radio.

Of course the smaller digital handheld tv are much more expensive so this year we will sorely miss the coverage and will be without tv if we are affected by a hurricane.

[edit on 6-11-2009 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
The only thing that really bothers me about this switch, is that our little handheld tv's will now be useless during and after a hurricane.

That is a very valid point, and it is part of the reason they initially pushed the date back. Sadly there are some people out there who wouldnt know to turn on their radio if the TV was out.

I work at a Tiny paid programing station and when we switched to full digital back in February, we had a hand full of calls from people who use small portables as their sole television source.

I had seen a news program a few months back where they were doing an expose on people who needed converter boxes. One person they interviewed had a folding chair, a hot plate and his Tiny black and white television as the only items in his living room. he was about 70 years old, a widower, and it really made me think.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

Im glad to hear that. multiple news outlets should be available to everyone on the planet, not just to those who can afford it.

I have heard rumors from this years E3 that you will be able to watch Hulu from Xbox live. combine that with its existing nexflix functionality, and we might just have a way to stick it to the cable companies, if you make a small 300 dollar investment with Microsoft,

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
heres a question. What if I have a cable box in one room, but my other tv in the other room is hooked into the cable outlet, will that tv not pick up after June 12th? Did cable companies lobby congress to pass this so they could get their cable subscribers to have boxes on all tvs?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by crw2006

As long as you get your signal from a cable carrier [Comcast, etc] you'll be fine... nothing will change.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by crw2006

from my understanding, You should be just fine with your current configuration.

The only thing that is changing is the signal coming into your home from the cable company, and truth be known, its probably been digital for a while now.

if your splitting the output of your cable box to two different TVs, and it has been previously working to your satisfaction, you shouldn't need to do anything more come tomorrow. if for some odd reason its not working right then feel free to shoot me a U2U.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Well the Digital Television Transition is Finally here. Most TV stations and viewers went to Solo digital power back in February, But the FCC and the NAB pleaded with some major market stations to keep transmitting their analog signal until June 12th 2009.

That all ends tomorrow.

Essentially, if you pay money for your television service, IE (cable, satellite, broadband), then your signal provider has already made all the necessary changes to to provide the best possible digital signal for you and its customers.

HOWEVER, if you use Rabbit Ears to watch TV, then off course you *MAY* need a converter box, or else you will not be able to watch your television.

gotta love how that works out huh?

*edited to clarify, see 12m8keall2c's post below

Yet here we are with the internet -

TV is for idiots

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

reply to post by crw2006

from my understanding, You should be just fine with your current configuration.

The only thing that is changing is the signal coming into your home from the cable company, and truth be known, its probably been digital for a while now.

if your splitting the output of your cable box to two different TVs, and it has been previously working to your satisfaction, you shouldn't need to do anything more come tomorrow. if for some odd reason its not working right then feel free to shoot me a U2U.

Again - my entire home is set up with streams of internet configured to plasmas and gumbies to provide me with uneneding enterntainment - if youhav any affiliation with television - you are a complete backward GUMP -

move on with tech PLEASE - it is embarassing watching people fumble with remotes STILL - it is the biggest symbol of tech gap there is,

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

Thanks,
remember the days before digital tv? My friend had one of those tv scramblers that let you watch any channel you wanted! I bet the cable companies hated that! Eventually he would lose channels one by one as the digital stations commenced.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join