It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pink moth discovered in AZ..new species

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Very neat imo.

Bruce Walsh who is a University of AZ biologist was out collecting moths and came across this one with pink wings. According to the article it is a new species. I guess the pink coloring is common but I guess the DNA make up is different which they say confirms it a new species. He named it Lithopane leeae after his wife, Lee, who loves pink. How sweet

www.msnbc.msn.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/03a2771780bc.jpg[/atsimg]

Anyone know of any other pink insects out there??

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

It's cute
haha. Evening Primrose Moths are pink and yellow and extremely pretty. Run a google image search on them, I'd upload a pic, but I'm on a work PC.

Found two more, Ceanothus Silk Moths have a striking pinkish-red color to them also (and a very neat pattern to them). And Rosy Maple Moths look very simmilar to the Evening Primrose. I guess moths love the color pink!

Aside from moths, I've seen pictures of a rare pink katydid...

[edit on 10-6-2009 by Heatburger]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Heatburger

Wow! I always thought moths to be kinda dull in the looks dept until now..lol I will have to google those to see what they look like. Thanks!

BTW I like you avatar..my favorite fish! I had a salt water tank with a clown fish I named Nemo.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Heatburger

I googled those moths and they are very beautiful! Wow I have never seen any like that. Also I checked out the rare pink katydid and that is my new favorite insect.
Thanks! Now if only I could find a pink spider and I my fears are gone..lol

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
That's pretty cool...

Find myself wondering if this Moth has been detained by Sheriff Joe Arpayo who requires all inmates to wear pink underwear and sleep outside in tents.... or perhaps some camouflage adaptation to the new environment of Pink bloomers so abundant

Seriously...

Very cool find op, always interested in new species in my neck of the woods...

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Thanks..To be honest the title only caught my attention cause it said "pink moth." It's actually very nice looking, if I am ever that way I wouldnt mind seeing one. Here in FL they are not that pretty.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I love it! Very pretty moth. Arthropods are so awesome.

Some of my favorite insects are moths, specifically the Luna, Atlas, and many others.

magickcanoe.com...

Here's another pink moth, the Evening Primrose.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Here is my favorite pink insect. Oooooh pretty!

new topics

top topics

join