It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep is not for the weak. Debunking the internet myth.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
It's not that sleep is for the weak.

It's that some of the most powerful men of history had little sleep: Winston Churchill, Mahatma Gandhi and Napoleon Bonaparte for example.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

There's plenty of time to sleep when your DEAD!!!

I've heard that to may times to count!! Sleep is vital to your living life. Without it you would die. Sleep releives stress from every day life. And obviously restores energy. So yes sleep is a good thing!!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
I would suggest that you edit your post and put Lack of sleep can cause, as it stands the post makes no sense however I agree with the subject, I love to sleep and those that say they can survive on 4 hours a night are talking rubbish

I usually sleep 4 hours a day, no more then 5. I don't have a sleeping problem it is just the way I am. My wife really hates it because I go to bed after she does and wake up before she does.

Sometimes I don't sleep at all for a day or two, get 4 hours of sleep and I wake up completely refreshed. I run 6 miles 2 times a week and spend 2 hours in the gym 3 times a week.

Every month or month and a half I will sleep 8 hours 1 Saturday night to recharge my batteries as my wife calls it and then I am set for my regular schedule.

I believe sleep is very important for your health and mental functions. I also believe that sleep is like food. Not everyone needs as much as the next person to be satisfied. Some may need 10 hours like my wife and some only need 4 hours like myself.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
sorry friend, but i did not read your thread at all. i have my own beliefs on that which you term as sleep and simply wanted to part with this saying..

Sleep is education for the mind.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by survival]

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

Lack of sleep can cause sleep deprivation.

Mmm, how so?

And I agree with your OP btw, I sleep at least 12 hours a day and the results speak for themselves.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I am in my 60's and still need 9 hours sleep a night. I am also very healthy though I do nothing but eat properly between bad habits. I am on no medications. Melatonin is released during sleep and is thought to enhance the immune system, helping us heal during sleep.

I found the below source that speaks to taking the over the counter medication Melatonin, which I rarely use when I have had a long stressful period that doesn't allow me to sleep.

vanderbilt.edu

Melatonin and the Immune System

It is thought that much repair of the immune system occurs at night, therefore interacting with melatonin. When people are exposed to frequent artificial light and they do not get enough sleep melatonin levels are suppressed. Some forms of cancer are thought to be related to melatonin levels. ôMelatonin levels of breast and prostate patients are reduced to half the normal levels.ö (www.liberty.com...). In two cases of sarcoidosis, which were not responding to long term treatments, melatonin was used. In between four to five months of being treated with 20mg daily, the symptoms were alleviated (peggy.mt.unifi.it...).

Melatonin and Age-Related Disorders

Melatonin levels are found to decline with age, leading scientists to believe that lack of melatonin brings about age related disorders. Among the diseases that melatonin is thought to effect are Alzheimer's disease, glucose intolerance, impaired immune function and cancer (www.liberty.com...). In studies done on rats and mice, melatonin was found to increase their life-span by about 20% (www.melatonin.com...). There have not been any studies completed on melatonin related to the prolonging of the human life span What studies have proven about melatoninThere have been many studies done on the effects of melatonin on the body over the past few years. Melatonin is most frequently used for the treatment of sleeping problems and in curing jet-lag. Therefore, most studies that have been done on melatonin have been done in these two subject areas. Studies have been done linking melatonin as a cure for other disorders, but there have not been enough studies available to show substantial evidence in melatonin curing other disorders.

For anyone who is wanting to sleep more, perhaps this will help. By the way, I take it at least 3 hours before I want to go to sleep when I take it.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

How so? Perhaps I should have been more specific in my OP. For one, I think basically what I was saying was that if you don't sleep enough- like that's what causes sleep deprivation. It sounds like it's obvious. It's really not though. If you don't sleep a lot you get tired and then you don't sleep more... and it's like you come into this trap where like you feel really tired and you feel bad because of it and stuff. Not having sleep makes you feel worse. I should have elaborated on my OP as to what I meant by that. My mistake.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join