It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep is not for the weak. Debunking the internet myth.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I personally feel that it isn't bad to get sleep. Lots of people on the internet will tell you that sleep is for the weak. You should personally just laugh in their faces when they tell you this. People who say that sleep is for the week obviously either are pretty good at functioning with little energy... or... they just don't need that much energy. You can go to sleep early. You shouldn't feel pressured by these insomniacs. We need to debunk this myth because I'm sure there are a lot of other late night internet users who would love to go to sleep but actually listen to these people. I will proceed to post a few facts about sleep before I continue.

Lack of sleep can cause sleep deprivation. It's the feeling that you need more sleep but if you're so sleep deprived... you can end up going to sleep like during the day... and then it takes up a lot of your time. Also, if you're sleep deprived and you're one of those people that feel that it doesn't matter-- maybe that's an effect of sleep deprivation-- that sleep deprivation does cause lack of attentiveness. These are some things that a lack of sleep can cause... just the short term consequences...

* Decreased Performance and Alertness: Sleep deprivation induces significant reductions in performance and alertness. Reducing your nighttime sleep by as little as one and a half hours for just one night could result in a reduction of daytime alertness by as much as 32%.
* Memory and Cognitive Impairment: Decreased alertness and excessive daytime sleepiness impair your memory and your cognitive ability -- your ability to think and process information.
* Stress Relationships: Disruption of a bed partner's sleep due to a sleep disorder may cause significant problems for the relationship (for example, separate bedrooms, conflicts, moodiness, etc.).
* Poor Quality of Life: You might, for example, be unable to participate in certain activities that require sustained attention, like going to the movies, seeing your child in a school play, or watching a favorite TV show.
* Occupational Injury: Excessive sleepiness also contributes to a greater than twofold higher risk of sustaining an occupational injury.
* Automobile Injury: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates conservatively that each year drowsy driving is responsible for at least 100,000 automobile crashes, 71,000 injuries, and 1,550 fatalities.

www.webmd.com...

Sleep can also cause sleep disorders. If you don't get sleep than you pretty much become weak. It's not the other way around.

I found this study on google... sleep is even important to animals. Those fruit flies that sleep more are more active than the females that sleep less...

A new study by scientists at North Carolina State University shows that the fruit fly is genetically wired to sleep, although the sleep comes in widely variable amounts and patterns. Learning more about the genetics of sleep in model animals could lead to advances in understanding human sleep and how sleep loss affects the human condition.

The study, published online in Nature Genetics, examined the sleep and activity patterns of 40 different wild-derived lines of Drosophila melanogaster – one of the model animals used in scientific studies. It found that, on average, male fruit flies slept longer than females; males slept more during the day than females; and males were more active when awake than females. Females, in turn, tended to have more frequent bouts of sleep, and thus were disrupted more from sleep, than males.

esciencenews.com...

If only we could apply the same logic to us humans. Oh wait, we can.

Lack of sleep is often associated with mental disorders, it can inhibit your mental performance on any day, and, lack of sleep can make you feel stressed. Have you ever wondered why you feel bad on a day where you didn't get much sleep? This is probably why. However, if you do sleep more often you will find that your performance improves, your memory can retain more information, and your memory will be enhanced. There are several good things that can come from sleep.

www.fi.edu...

I just wanted to make this post so the internet crowd that is always used to being told that sleep is for the weak can see the truth. Sleep is not for the weak. Sleep is why the popular people are popular and the people that don't have many friends act the way they do. Sleep will help you and me and everyone with their lives. If only we could get a good night sleep every night.

[edit on 9-6-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I would suggest that you edit your post and put Lack of sleep can cause, as it stands the post makes no sense however I agree with the subject, I love to sleep and those that say they can survive on 4 hours a night are talking rubbish

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Not trying to be mean or anything.....but, it seems you were suffering a great lack of sleep in your writing of this.

Of course people, and all breathing beings need sleep...including plants.
that you feel the need to post this in kind of like posting the sky is blue, and should be blue.

cheers and good day

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I need 8 hours a day and another 12 at night. I love sleeping mmmmm

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Remixtup

If anything I have a lot of sleep. I got like 9 hours of sleep last night.

Sleep is vitally important to your senses. People who can't sleep really aren't able to be active as much as those that do. It's common sense I know. But there are people that don't understand just how important sleep is.

Yes, I agree every living thing needs sleep. Those that say they don't need sleep don't really know what they're talking about.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I have never heard anyone say “sleep is for the weak”. Seems like something only a stupid person would say, or listen to. Everyone one has their own sleep requirements.
I will state the obvious, babies need lots and old people need less. I have heard of the advantages of cat-napping though unfortunately I don’t have that ability.
Regards health and sleep everything in the opening statement seems rather obvious and I would have thought this was common knowledge.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Yay sleep

Just wondering, what about the rumour that too much sleep is bad?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
"Sleep. How I loathe these little slices of Death." Wasn't that Edgar Allen Poe?

I sleep about 6 or 7 hours at most. Anymore sleep than that actually makes me tired for the entire next day. However, I do sleep very deep, have no problem falling asleep or staying asleep, and generally do not remember my dreams at all. Not sure what that means. I don't really enjoy sleep though.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
edit: post removed for civility reasons.

[edit on 10-6-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Nuclear Bacon

Too much of anything is bad for you!

Too much sleep can be a sign of depression.

I just googled “too much sleep” and it appears there are many reasons why it may not be healthy to sleep too much. Having said that, there’s nothing wrong with the occasional lie in!

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
For those of you who are picking on the OP for what might possibly be a poor choice in wording, let it be known that lack of sleep can lead to deadly mistakes.
When doctors are in their internships they are often on call in the hospital 24 to 48 hours. This has been the standard for years and years, and it's purpose is too supposedly "make them strong." What it leads to is mistakes that are often deadly.
Same things goes for soldiers. If they are in a combat zone, once they become sleep deprived, they will start hallucinating, sometimes shooting at things that aren't there.
Sleep deprivation doesn't make you strong, but a good night's sleep helps you face tomorrow better.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Sleep is not for the weak.

I love sleeping, as it is the time where i get to do my favourite thing - dream.

I get about 7hours a night, (go to sleep at 11/12 and have to get up at half 6) and with that amount i am fine, refreshed still functioning. When its a weekend, and im left to get as much sleep as possible, i will go to bed a 12 again, and not wake until 12 the next day.
A good amount of sleep is excellent, but i do thing is does waste away half the day.

As i mentioned before, sleeping is home to dreaming, and that is one of the most amazing things ever. So the more time to dream the better.

Love&light

Jacob

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

More of the obvious but thanks for “letting it be known” anyway.

Except for the idea that the purpose of overworking interns is to “supposedly make them strong” that seems nonsensical.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I think teenage boys need it even more than teenage girls and older people, I sure felt like that, so I hope parents can forgive them lol!

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the level I love to sleep and those that say they can survive on 4 hours a night are talking rubbish

UNless like me they are a clinical insomniac, in which case you HAVE to survive on 4 (or even less) hours a nigh. Is it good for you ..hell no..but some of us have no control over that side of things. Its possible , but not something anyone would do on purpose for any length of time. I'd give my right arm for a normal sleep pattern.

Wayne...

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Um, I have generally understood that statement is meant to be a joke for when you spend too much time on the computer and don't have enough time to get much sleep except in such a way that makes you feel worse, so you pretty much say eff it??

[edit on 10-6-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
People who sleep less than 9 hours a day(around 6 or 7) or have frequent cat naps live longer than people who sleep for longer...and im also confused about the sleep is for the weak,ive never heard anyone say that..ever.Then again im confused by alot of your threads.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

I know that it's not a statement meant to be taken seriously.

However, I just wanted to show these people who say that how much of an effect sleep has on you.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I guessed as much.
But, I don't know how many are already aware of that when they use that statement but I know I am when I use it on the few times I mess up.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Sleep sucks! I hate trying to sleep. Sleeping is like a tough chore, or more accurately, torturous. Being forced by biology into assuming uncomfortable positions for hours of unconsciousness. I hate it, i never want to sleep again, but the next torture session is only hours away.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join