It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

COUP IN ALBANY: GOP Takes Over NY State Senate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Link to Article

This is pretty exciting! The democrats were in control before Senators Pedro Espada and Hiram Monserrate (below) switched sides and voted with the republicans to replace Malcolm Smith!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9922646e57b3.jpg[/atsimg]

Malcolm Smith Ousted As Senate Majority Leader; Dems Turn Off Lights, Cut Internet Power In Attempt To Stop Coup

It was a carefully crafted coup -- five weeks in the making, with independent Tom Golisano in on the plotting.

And when it was over Republican Sen. Dean Skelos of Rockville Center was back in power as Senate Majority Leader. Dumped was former Democratic leader Malcolm Smith

It caught the democrats so off guard they turned out the lights and un-plugged the internet!

From Wiki

The move came after Republican whip Tom Libous introduced a surprise resolution to vacate the chair and replace Smith as temporary president and majority leader. All 30 Republicans plus two Democrats, Monserrate and Espada, voted in favor of the resolution. In accordance with a prearranged deal, Espada was elected temporary president and acting lieutenant governor while Skelos was elected majority leader.

-E-

Washington Post Article:GOP, 2 Dems flip power balance in NY senate
New York Times Article:Republicans Seize Control of State Senate
Timesunion.com Article:Two Democrats join Republicans to topple Smith as Senate leader

[edit on 8-6-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
They turned the internet and lights off? OH NOEZ!! Well, maybe New York will not suffer as much as other states when the repo man comes around. Goes to show how childish the Democrats are. I am not republican either by the way.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

When I first read the article I thought of an upset child saying "I'm taking my ball and going home"

I'm not republican either, I'm Libertarian, but tend to lean more to the right then left.

-E-

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
So that's what the party of the "enlightened" does when things don't go their way, politically? They cut off the lights and cut internet power? Seriously? Nice temper tantrum there, children.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
That is funny!!

I thought as well when I first read this " Fine, I'm taking my ball and going home"

I'm not a Republican either, I'm more of a Libretarian...The temper tantrum made me laugh tho...I wish I had been a fly on those walls to see how it went down

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Those two Dems who switched are about to be slandered and roasted in the press like no one since... well Palin. Spector was a hero for switching but you watch what happens to these two.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
So, perhaps the Republican party is not so dead after all.

And this happened in New York, "home" of the Clintons ...

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
What are the democrats babies here? "taking my ball and going home" is absolutely correct here. Shesh oh Pete, sorry you got routed democrats, but that's politics for you.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Those two Dems who switched are about to be slandered and roasted in the press like no one since... well Palin. Spector was a hero for switching but you watch what happens to these two.

Yup, you are so right on with that. Those two are going to get dragged thru the mud...

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Looks like they want to make a few changes...

the new State Senate president, said in a radio interview on Tuesday morning that he personally wanted to bring same-sex marriage to a vote, news that will give some encouragement to gay activists who read defeat into Monday’s Republican Senate coup.

Mr. Espada also said he intended to fire the Senate’s highest-ranking Democratic staff member, Angelo Aponte, who as secretary of the Senate was the top aide to Malcolm A. Smith, the former majority leader. And Mr. Espada, a Bronx Democrat, would not commit to supporting Gov. David A. Paterson’s electoral bid next year.

New Senate President Wants Vote on Same-Sex Marriage

This is quality stuff here!!
Espada: We’ll have a Senate session outside if we have to, that is if they don’t unlock the doors tommorrow

The Senate is scheduled to meet at 3 pm Wednesday. As it stands now, Aponte isn’t going along with Espada’s and Skelos’ call to step down . Republican Senate spokesman Mark Hansen said “apparently he’s locked himself in his office"

So they turn off the lights, un-plug the internet, refuse to hand over the keys, and hide in the office!! Hilarious!

-E-

[edit on 9-6-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugarmonkey
That is funny!!

I thought as well when I first read this " Fine, I'm taking my ball and going home"

I'm not a Republican either, I'm more of a Libretarian...The temper tantrum made me laugh tho...I wish I had been a fly on those walls to see how it went down

I would say it's more of the mentality of the spoiled rich kids always getting their way....

I'm assuming on some level the repubs would try a similar tactic......

I'm affiliated with no party....They all piss me off a bit.....

But funny to see what " Grown adults " do when they don't get their way....

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Heres the whole thing on video!
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3

Watch video 2! It's awesome!
-E-

[edit on 9-6-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Here is a "Grassroots Leaders Protest"

-E-

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This is what I like to see!

This is funny. The Clinton/Gore Administration removing all the W's from the keyboards after they lost power, and now the New York State Representatives cutting power and internet after THEY lost power... common theme here? haha

I'm not quite sure that the Republican party would have done something similar in this situation. Did either Bush try this petty, embarrassing and utterly useless "sabotage" after they lost power? I'm not trying to side with the Republicans on this one - I, also, am a Libertarian and find the Republican party, as currently constructed, disgusting. However, I find these tactics that have been used by the Democratic Party when they don't get their way. What a bunch of babies. I guess that's the ONLY difference between the modern Republican and Democratic party - the Republicans aren't a bunch of big babies!

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Now the real question is which party has the majority? Appearantly the two democrats who voted with the republicans are claiming they are still democrats. This may have just been a move to remove the majority leader from power and put in a new one. Now that is like a republican! Remove the opposing power and insert their chosen leader!

-E-

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Here's an update on the shake up in the New York Senate
Chaos Rules The Day In The Capital District

There was no work done in the Senate Tuesday. Here's why:

Right now the doors to the Senate are locked

Thats right, no one allowed inside because the doors are locked! This is turning out to be funny and sad all at the same time.

-E-

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
UPDATE:

N.Y. Senate Talks Fail Miserably, Chaos Ensues
Dems Refuse To Recognize Espada As President Pro Tem, Don't Stand For Pledge Of Allegiance During Special Session

"We do not concede that Pedro Espada is the Senate president. We have offered to put aside the issues of whether the president of the Senate is Sen. [Malcolm] Smith or Sen. Espada," said Sen. Eric Schneiderman, D-Manhattan.

What happened next was equally incredible. With the Democrats in their seats, the Republicans marched in and tried to take the podium. They were rebuffed, so they held a session form the well of the chamber and passed dozens of bills by acclamation.

This is classic!

-E-

[edit on 23-6-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
UPDATE:

I may be the only one following this thread, but as OP I will continue to keep it updated. (Am I talking to myself) anyways here it is...

From this article:
Dems seize chamber in NY Senate standoff

The three-week standoff that has paralyzed the state Senate continued this morning when Democrats again locked themselves inside the chambers

This is great comedy!!!

-E-

top topics

join