It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to familiarize yourself with this company ... seriously!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienstrangler

Yea kinda went off the deep end, but can't you see everything that ever was good is being used against us? MODS: Johnson is not a bad word! So suck it! Or is IT a bad word too?

Well I do not really see that. Maybe you could help me out by giving me some examples of things intended for good that are being used against us.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft
reply to post by alienstrangler

Well would she not be foolish to run from a technology that could:
1. Save her life
2. Save her money
3. Save society money.. ie the insurance companies or the government.

I swear some people on here are going to die from their fear of medicine and technology. Just because something has a chip in it does not mean that the boogeyman is going to use it to track your every move.

This mentality is no different than a bunch of natives in the jungle all dying of disease, but they wont take their medicine because they fear the white man is the devil. Is that how you want to live, like a superstitious group of people who live in the jungle and lack wisdom?

[edit on 9-6-2009 by grapesofraft]

A longer life does not necessarily mean a better one.

Visit your local skilled nursing facility and nursing home and tell me about the beauty and the wonders of modern medicine and don't give me the line about "If it was your mother or father..." Most of the people you find there are somebody's mother or father and though some are willing to send that check every month you couldn't get them to leave that busy office, that scheduled vacation or outing to come by and spend time with good old mom and dad. Yet mom and dad dutifully waits and will tell you a hundred times a day that they can't leave their room because their son or daughter might come they don't want to miss them.

Some of course don't even remember who they are let alone the time, date or even the planet they live on but they are alive and still being pumped full of those wonderful drugs that are going to keep them alive for as long as big business can keep them alive. They are huge profit generators. If it breathes, artificially or not, give it a drug. If they can't swallow it, put a tube down their throat or into their belly and push it in. Even better pop a needle into their vein and run it in. Those intravenous ones are the real money makers. Stick in two or three IVs. If one is good two has to be better.

They don't care if they are just a lump of flesh with machines that breathe for them, tubes that drain away some of their offensive waste products and someone comes and flips them over every two hours.

Hey man! They are alive and still getting those multi-million dollar drugs every hour on the hour to keep them that way.

Don't mistake what I am saying. Medicine is my business. I am all about saving lives. I am also know my limitations and there reaches a point when God, nature, Allah, or what ever being, entity or belief system that makes your life easier to endure, should be allowed to take the reigns.

I have seen elderly people come into the ER with shopping bags full of medications. This is not an exaggeration. In some cases there is a real good reason why some physicians are called "medical" doctors and why they "practice" medicine.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Well I do not think this thread is about the good and bad of nursing homes, but I do agree that it is a crime the way we stick our elderly and our children in some institution just so we can pursue our own desires and not have to sacrifice for the good of the family unit.

Really my point is that by using technologies such as the one described in the OP, maybe we can help many people avoid (as long as possible) being in such bad physical condition that they end up in nursing homes or the morgue.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Well I do not think this thread is about the good and bad of nursing homes, but I do agree that it is a crime the way we stick our elderly and our children in some institution just so we can pursue our own desires and not have to sacrifice for the good of the family unit.

Really my point is that by using technologies such as the one described in the OP, maybe we can help many people avoid (as long as possible) being in such bad physical condition that they end up in nursing homes or the morgue.

I think you missed my point. It was not about the good or bad of nursing homes.

My point was that a longer life is not always a better life.

Life is should be about how well you can live it; not how long.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I agree that life is about quality and not quantity. What my point is that this new technology could give some people a better quality of life for a longer period of time by being pro-active in monitoring their bodies on a real-time basis.

I am sure every doctor would like to have more info on their patients and to know more about what the patients body is doing when they are not sitting in front of the doctor. Do you not see how this could be a useful tool in improving the quality of life for people?

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman
The thing is, there is legitimate use for this technology and if used correctly, proactively detecting heart attacks, strokes and other expensive crises has a positive effect on both insurance expenses and future medical costs. I come from a family with a long history of strokes and diabetic complications, I would not object to having this at my disposal.

the problem with this, has been the same thing throughout history....

we always make things, with good intentions... but they always end up hurting us the most.

i'm sure the creators of these products thought of the numerous ways to apply them and bring good.... but it usually goes south right when the color $green$ becomes involved.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
im all for praising the benefits in this but what happens when the technolgy fails.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

Well you could have multiple sensors in a person at a time. If one fails the others would still work and so you know if the majority of them say one thing, but another is off, then you know that one is bad and you drop it from your data collection.

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
As has been already stated, the technology does have the potential to be used in a good way.

But, if it comes to where you are forceably chipped and being given a forced treatment for something I could easily handle without the use of overpriced Big Pharma drugs, then hell no, I don't want the chip.

I don't want people telling me how I "must" do things.

Troy

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

I have always known that the chip would come and that it would be implanted on a massive scale, but I have never had the feeling that it would be forced upon anyone. Instead I believe that people will line up by the dozen to have themselves purposefully augmented.
[edit on 6/8/09 by BlackOps719]

I agree 100%. I am not going to go off on a religeous tangent here but i have always believed that if what the bible speaks of is true and there will be this one world government and a being who is in control of it and has control of the worlds ability to buy and sell as says in revelations then it has to be with the use of some sort of technology. I dont see us all walking around with 666 on our foreheads but i do think that if this future happens in our lifetime or much later down the line then it will most likely have to incorporate this kind of technology. I also wondered how would anyone in their right minds willingly take such a mark if they have read revelations. My thoughts on that go to something i read sometime back and i forget where, but it stated that the antichrist would come into a time where this kind of technology was already in place and was ebing used for a good purpose but would be taken over a sa means of control. I am cautious and like most people here see both the good and bad of this thing. It is definetly the next step for us medically and only makes sense in a world of identity theft to use for banking and paying bills etc. However what if the people in charge of this technology use it for evil?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
So the first thing I thought of was communion. A "silicon wafer"/"god-chip"/communion wafer -Everyone lining up to take a wafer that supplies them with miracles...

I digress.

In all seriousness though, this scares the hell out of me. There are a lot of truths in fear and in comedy. The mention of losing ones insurance if you don't partake and the ideas of what evils could come of these nano-miracles are pretty creepy.

People want to believe that we act for our better good. That is not always the case.

Scary stuff, SD. Makes me wonder about all the "clinical trials" that have been done thus far.

This along with the transformable material really brings the scifi closer to nonfiction. The singularitarianism, or whatever the heck it's called will one "day" become a "reality."

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I agree that life is about quality and not quantity. What my point is that this new technology could give some people a better quality of life for a longer period of time by being pro-active in monitoring their bodies on a real-time basis.

I am sure every doctor would like to have more info on their patients and to know more about what the patients body is doing when they are not sitting in front of the doctor. Do you not see how this could be a useful tool in improving the quality of life for people?

No.

Technology does not give a person a better quality of life. The trade off is always too great.

Will it be a useful tool?

Probably but for whom and for what?

I can take blood test every 20 minutes, and vital signs every ten minutes and it will not change the condition you have nor will it change the quality of your life.

Changes are made by choice, commitment, sacrifice and dedication.

I give people data everyday regarding their clinical status, right along with the the necessary actions that may improve the the quality of their lives, and too many choose to live in the moment.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with living in the moment if that is your choice. Roll the dice and pray for sevens.

It has more appeal then betting the farm and growing daisies on your feet before they can arrange the funeral.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Well I do not understand where you are coming from with technology does not benefit people. Do you drive a car or fly or use a phone or a computer or the internet? How much more joyful would life be if someone came and robbed you of these tech wonders?

The way it could help is in helping people prevent a catastrophic event from occuring. Say for instance someone is on blood thinner for a heart condition and their blood becomes overly thin. This could lead to a stroke. However, if you can notify the patient of the problem as it occurs then maybe they can be prevented from that stroke and get their blood properly regulated before it turns ugly.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
The name is Proteus (the protagonist) Biomedical, and what a fabulously sinister name at that.

However what they are and have developed is not in the least funny ...

First, their technology:

Proteus Biomedical’s ingestible and implantable technologies are the foundation for the development of the company’s intelligent medical products.

The company’s ingestible technology makes intelligent pharmaceuticals possible: microchip-enabled medications that provide patients with valuable information to customize their therapy. The company’s implantable ChipSkin™ technology adds intelligence to any implanted medical device: tiny active electronics that expand the performance of devices that use electrical energy to deliver therapy inside the body.

Ingestible Technology

Proteus ingestible event markers (IEMs) are tiny, digestible sensors made from food ingredients, which are activated by stomach fluids after swallowing. Once activated, the IEM sends an ultra low-power, private, digital signal through the body to a microelectronic receiver that is either a small bandage style skin patch or a tiny device insert under the skin. The receiver date- and time-stamps, decodes, and records information such as the type of drug, the dose, and the place of manufacture, as well as measures and reports physiologic measures such as heart rate, activity, and respiratory rate.

The IEM is manufactured on silicon wafers, and is extremely economical to produce, costing a few cents per sensor in large quantities.

The IEM is the cornerstone of the company’s Raisin™ System, which is currently in clinical development. The Raisin™ System measures the body’s response to medications and is intended to improve the management of chronic diseases like heart failure, infectious disease and psychiatric disorders.

Implantable Technology

One of the significant challenges preventing widespread use of implanted medical device therapies is the disintegration of active electronics upon exposure to body fluids. Proteus’ ChipSkin™ technology eliminates this issue by providing an extremely thin and durable protective layer that ensures long-term survival and performance of micro-scale implanted devices. ChipSkin enables any implanted medical device to contain active electronics and dramatically expands the capability of existing implanted devices that utilize electrical energy to stimulate, pace or regulate body function. For example, providing 32 locations to pace the left side of the heart instead of only two or four, improving the clinical efficacy of cardiac resynchronization therapy.

ChipSkin technology is the cornerstone of the company’s therapeutic device products, which are currently in clinical development. These intelligent implanted devices offer the potential to transform therapy for patients with heart failure, chronic pain, and other disorders.

proteusbiomed.com

This is it!
This is the thing!

This kind of technology if perfected a little bit more can produce an electronic "health provider" servicing device which apart from issuing necessary antibodies and medicine mixtures in to the human body to aid it against future heavy polluted environments, it will also be able to transmit and receive continuous stream of data and probably also control initially not just the health status of the barer of this technological device but later also emotions and probably also behavior.

Absolute power in the hands of very few in a scale never before seen in human history, that is what this technology can deliver.
Now it is up to us, will we be able to change our ways and make such technologies unnecessary via reverting to a more natural way of living or we continue our corrupted path while we may be realizing that our carefree times destroying the environment and greedily reaping nature's benefits without severe consequences are over?
What once thought was helpful can now destroy us. The perfect cyclic motion in nature that no one can escape, rise and fall.

How many of us will escape this Nemesis?

wiki:

In Greek mythology, Proteus (Πρωτεύς) is an early sea-god, one of several deities whom Homer calls the "Old Man of the Sea"[1], whose name suggests the "first", as protogonos (πρωτόγονος) is the "primordial" or the "firstborn".

The first born eh?
The dawn of the chiped human slave I suppose. That's what the choice of this name means probably? Is someone dreaming an army of slaves and eagerly awaits the first batch to arrive?

[edit on 10-6-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
There will be a cusp of elitism, as their iron fist will get tired of banging on thick skin.

Beyond that, technology and singularitarianism will prevail. We will evolve as an organic parallel processor, emerging as a super-intelligent Human 2.0 species.

Our destiny then lies with the stars...and beyond.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
No.

Technology does not give a person a better quality of life. The trade off is always too great.

I also disagree with this statement of technology not giving a person a better life. It is technology that has brought us to higher levels of medicine and allowed man to live longer. We have cured diseases that in the last 2 centuries saw people dying at very young ages. Look back just 100 years ago at people who contracted pneumonia. Most of them didnt live. Children died very easily and most people lost several of their children due to illnesses.

Technology has brought us liesure and hardship to be sure. We dont spend all day washing our clothes and cooking and doing the things we call mundane now but we have also complicated our lives much more so. We are rushed to do more in a day than people did 100 years ago and so we have more illnesses like heart disease etc from our lifestyles of bad eating and on the go non stop living. Technology has shown to be a gift and a curse but if you think of technology as just the next step in the development of what man can create then you can see there is no stopping it unless you somehow stop mankinds need to know, the need to add to or create bigger and better from what already exists.

No i do not think we will ever stop pushing forward, pushing the envelope of what we can create and how we can use what knowledge we have.

As long as there are people who wish to do good there will also be people who wish to do bad. From the very first day man created fire there was probobly someone who said "Hey i can use this to cook with", and someone else who saw its destructive potential.

Fault lies not with technology but the wielders of it. I can use a scalpel to save your life or i can use it to cut your throat. That all depends on what kind of person i am. It also depends on who allows me access to it.

This technology has great potential to help mankind and be used for good and it most certainly will be used for good but it will also most certainly be used for evil as well. Someone, somewhere will do something bad with it as they do with computers and every other thing we use and count on in our daily lives. I can use this computer i am at right now to reach out and inform people and save lives with a simple message of warning, i can also use it to teach teenage psychopaths (whose parents fill them with racism and hate) how to make bombs so they can go blow up a school.

If we take the most radical stance we can that this is evil and technology is evil and we fail to see the real evil, and thats the people who wield it, then we must certainly take a huge step backwards and deevolve our societies to some point where we can no longer be hurt by any technology. But how far back do we go? For as i have stated everything man creates can and will most assuredly be used for evil by someone.

I personally think we should try and keep reaching to advance our societies and our technologies and never forget just how sick and twisted the nature of mankind can be and never forget how what we create can always get away from us and be our masters. A day may come where we create something that causes our inevitable doom and destruction and if so then we do not deserve to exist anymore as far as i am concerned. If mankind cannot mature mentally or spiritually enough to keep up with the technology it creates then we do not deserve to be here.

All of us who are not psychopaths and warmongers and people bent on domination of the world need to fight back when these people rear up and use whatever technology is available to hurt people. We need to focus on evil people not evil technology.

Last thought. Guns dont kill people, People kill people. Take away all the guns and they will just use swords as they did before there were guns.

[edit on 10-6-2009 by fizzy1]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by fizzy1
If mankind cannot mature mentally or spiritually enough to keep up with the technology it creates then we do not deserve to be here.

Mentality can be augmented with technology and spiritually is a religious connotation.

Hopefully technology will enlighten people enough to purge the insidious evil of religion and Polytheism will be their new awakening.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrisonerOfSociety

If mankind cannot mature mentally or spiritually enough to keep up with the technology it creates then we do not deserve to be here.

Mentality can be augmented with technology and spiritually is a religious connotation.

Hopefully technology will enlighten people enough to purge the insidious evil of religion and Polytheism will be their new awakening.

Ok i didnt need to be corrected on the matter of spirituality. Yes it is a connotation dealing with the matters of spirit or an existense outside the body as in a soul. A higher level of existence apart from a material world. However it is our spiritual side that guides man in regards to morality. It doesnt matter what you believe in and i need to point out that your statement doesnt make sense. For technology to purge religion then polytheism will die also. Look up the word. It means the belief in more than one god. Monotheism is the belief in a single deity. Its all religion my friend no matter how many dieties you worship. So to destroy religion means polytheism wont reign supreme unless you mean you want to see monotheism destroyed. Personally i dont see how blaming religion as the problem is effectual since again it is man that drives the use of religion and its principles regardless of what religion it is.

Also i dont see technology as enlightening anyone. You have people who use technology everyday but dont have the wisdom that enables perception. Technology is so nowadays that any idiot can use it without worrying about being intellectually enlightened. Now if your refering to spiritual enlightenment then that again is a religious concept and i refer you to the above statement.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

However it is our spiritual side that guides man in regards to morality.

I'm afraid that is incorrect. Why do people need to believe in a spiritual side to indoctrinate morality? Why can't we just heed a moral code of conduct without ANY religious connotation? Though shall not kill, is a pretty good place to start but to then wrap that up with religious context is neither here nor there, imho. (btw, I'm an atheist).

It doesnt matter what you believe in and i need to point out that your statement doesnt make sense.

Yep, i apologise; it was a quick post without much substance, more of a rant

For technology to purge religion then polytheism will die also. Look up the word. It means the belief in more than one god. Monotheism is the belief in a single deity. Its all religion my friend no matter how many dieties you worship. So to destroy religion means polytheism wont reign supreme unless you mean you want to see monotheism destroyed. Personally i dont see how blaming religion as the problem is effectual since again it is man that drives the use of religion and its principles regardless of what religion it is.

When i use the word "polytheism", i aim to dismiss any religious connotation and approach it from the angle that we are all our own God. We are just remnants of star-dust from the cosmos, blowing in the wind of time. If you believe in your own self, then there is no need to externalise your 'head-thoughts' and feel the need to believe in some third party, omnipotent, omnipresent being. That invisible force religious people seek, is right there inside of you. Use it to your advantage

Also i don't see technology as enlightening anyone. You have people who use technology everyday but don't have the wisdom that enables perception. Technology is so nowadays that any idiot can use it without worrying about being intellectually enlightened. Now if your referring to spiritual enlightenment then that again is a religious concept and i refer you to the above statement.

May i refer you to my earlier post, detailing my thoughts on how technology will evolve humanity.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienstrangler

Yea kinda went off the deep end, but can't you see everything that ever was good is being used against us? MODS: Johnson is not a bad word! So suck it! Or is IT a bad word too?

Well I do not really see that. Maybe you could help me out by giving me some examples of things intended for good that are being used against us.

The list is long & illustrious... too many to name but we'll start with credit and personal communications of all types.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join