It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia Man Charged With Making Threats Against Police On Infowars

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I get the whole "the guy threatened murder" thing...that is just wrong, but if the threatened was not a police officer would charges have been pressed?I see , on various message boards, people threatening people all the time, especially on newspaper sites that print the names of child molestors and such...but i never see charges coming from those threats, and i am sure that it would make the news if it did. So, from what i can gather, there is a different set of principles in effect for law enforcement and the rest of us.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Things like this, make conspiracy websites look bad, and us..I had read, was it abc news? called conpsiracy theorists mentally ill people? anyone remember that? If the FED truely is monitering what we do, who visits what website without knowing...when someone gets angry andretaliates in ways like this, this gives them more reason and momentun to turn things off on us, when yuo think about it...it makes us all look bad. I do think its fair, bad cops could be posted for all too see..kinda like sex offenderrss,, they gotta register, why cant bad cops, especially since its a threat to public safety? NOt how it works, thast all. I could see one day, governent using reaasons like this guy, to censor, block off or make illegal to have conspiracy sites online. Posting thier addresses, that im not sure was a good idea....i mean, if the guys gripe was with the cops, no reason to pull their familys into it..so some otehr whacko can find out where they live..
he shuold have kept it as an old fighting sayign goes...MONO E MONO just him and the cops strictly

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
..I had read, was it abc news? called conpsiracy theorists mentally ill people? anyone remember that?

There is no such thing as conspiracy theory any more; it is now conspiracy REALITY.

I just want to draw attention to this excellent post by SugarCube about how data is acquiesced.

Again, protect your IP like your PIN number; take NO chances.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kommunist

"My question is:

How did the police find out who he was? "

Very good point . We all (ATS Members) should give this a serious heads up, because of our comments on topics that just our ideals could land us in one of those FeMA camPs . Freedom of speech is gone...now our thoughs are restricted.....Yea America

S&F

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

I was listening to Alex Jones's radio show this morning and he dedicated about 40 minutes to this topic.

He indicated the radio station was taken by surprise with FBI agents presenting a subpeona to gain the user's IP address so they can determine his identity.

Alex was pissed, but not at the police...at the idiot who threatened murder against law enforcement AND posted their addresses so others could act upon the information.

Alex is now considering ending all user form dialogue following each of the Infowars.com news stories from this day forward. Given the majority of ignorant, idiotic comments that are posted there daily, I'd agree with this decision.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Even after reading the threat, I still don't agree. Nothing on the internet is said in context, the people reading just assume.

Face to face, how many times has anyone here said to someone, "I'll kill you if you do that"? I know I say it, and everyone knows I'm joking. Online, it's hard to say. It's not right to accuse because the person interprets it as threatening. No wonder there was a cyber czar appointed. The internet is littered with people to accuse of terrorism and threats.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

Yeah, exactly, I didn't hear the show today, but I've heard it happen a number of times where SS or FBI have turned up at the radio station trying to get info. Jones stated the last times I heard him, that as long as they have a valid subpoena, and it's something serious like death threats, he will give up the IP address, and I don't blame him for that at all.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jimminycricket

As Alex stated this afternoon, "you can't yell fire in a movie theater and assume you won't be arrested for public disturbance or disturbing the peace."

You also can't make death threats about a police officer, post their full addresses, and attempt to incite others to seem them out.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If he's charged let's hope the jury uses jury nullification and acquits him even if they think him guilty.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

Jeffrey L. Weaver, 47, made the threatening comments in January on a news Web site called infowars.com, according to a complaint filed earlier this week in U.S. District Court in Roanoke.

"Maybe I should drive to Martinsville with my 9mm Glock and some Teflon coated armor-piercing Black Rhino hollow point rounds and do the world a favor by ridding the world of this piece of s--- pig," the message read.

"If I find out who the pig is then I will kill the pig who killed him," Weaver wrote on Jan. 5, according to the complaint.

A short time later, the address of one of the police officers involved in the shooting was posted to the Web site.

"Thanks for the address," the next post read. "Now that I know who he is and where he is it's only a matter of time." The complaint quoted Weaver as saying he planned to kill the officer's wife and child before killing him.

"This isn't a threat it's a f------ promise," the message continued.
www.roanoke.com...

After hearing testimony Friday, U.S. Magistrate Judge Michael Urbanski ruled there was probable cause to support the charges and ordered Weaver held without bond.

Urbanski rejected an argument by public defender Fay Spence, who said Weaver's actions were protected by the First Amendment.
www.roanoke.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I think if Jones is to do something about it, he should try and get more moderators, rather than shutting down the comments totally. At the moment, according to him, he only has a couple of IT guys, and with dozens of stories a day, and hundreds of comments, and those guys also having work to do, he just can't check them all, or even most of them.

It's the same issue with any big site, it's just the same on YouTube, sometimes morons go beyond free speech, and you just can't hire enough people to check all comments, and if you go the other way, and shut down comments, the site loses a lot of value.

This is why there are "Safe Harbor" type laws. They basically mean that the law understands publishers of sites like these with many visitors can't effectively keep track of every comment/upload, but as long as they comply with any subpoena, they are immune from prosecution.

Jones acted responsibly, and gave the details and removed the comment when notified, so he qualifies for this immunity.

I think the best thing to do, is if you care about infowars and free comment, then you should offer your services as moderators to his site, so that he doesn't feel the need to just shut the comments off totally to avoid the hassle.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kommunist

Haha, this is kind of not surprising to me. I live right outside of Roanoke. Roanoke is very technology-savvy but also very socially conservative. There are lots of angry gun-owners, and people that still take the law into their own hands regularly. The last breaking-and-entering I heard of was right near my home town, and the suspect was shot dead with a shot gun as soon as he got in. No charges pressed against anyone. This isn't NY.

Put short I wouldn't want to be a pig around here when SHTF, and in fact I might not want to be around here anyway....

[edit on 8-6-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kommunist

Found this story on infowars.com and it was confirmed with a link to the Roanoke Times website. Kind of scary really. I've seen a lot of the posts that people have made in the forums, and quite a few are a lot similar to this one. Online anonymity seems to be a thing of the past.

My question is:

How did the police find out who he was?

www.infowars.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

What is sad is that a man responds to what he sees as the unjustified use of deadly force by making death threats...

How intellectually dishonest can one man be?

Can we say Karma?

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It's totally ok for gestapo to be murdering, tasering, and beating people daily. They are rarely if ever fired, and if anything get a paid slap on the wrist. This guy "threatened" something, he didn't actually carry it out like the gestapo do. The gov shills are watching everything said on these boards and reporting the behavior to superiors.
This report will sadly read... The police can continue to murder the public on a whim, even people on ATS are on our side and believe this guy should rot in prison for "threatening" retaliation.

If the police departments wanted the publics respect or cared how we viewed them they would punish the offending officers - They don't. It's pretty clear to me we either stand or we fall.

I personally will not side with the gestapo for ANY reason.
Flag for the poster btw.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by gormly
You know what bothers me?

ALL OF YOU

RTFA!!

Quotes:

"If I find out who the pig is then I will kill the pig who killed him," Weaver wrote on Jan. 5, according to the complaint.

A short time later, the address of one of the police officers involved in the shooting was posted to the Web site.

"Thanks for the address," the next post read. "Now that I know who he is and where he is it's only a matter of time." The complaint quoted Weaver as saying he planned to kill the officer's wife and child before killing him.

THE ADDRESS OF THE POLICE OFFICER INVOLVED WAS POSTED TO THE SAME THREAD AND THE OFFICERS FAMILY WAS THREATENED

This wasn't a "F-- the pigs" comment, it was a threat of murder. This was no longer a free speech issue, what is wrong with you people?

he went way over the line.

That's no longer a joking BS statement, thats a serious threat. If I was married and had children and someone had my address, and they threatened that...you would really see excessive force. There is some people who just need to be beaten into the ground. And one who threatens families, and death upon someone is one of them. Like cops don't have to worry about enough, but then their families safety may be in jeopardy because of their job. Thats when the joke ends, and if he shows the 12 bore gore begins. He already stated his purpose of being there, if he shows it's game on.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
This whole scenario doesn't really surprise me to tell you the truth. The forums at infowars are litteraly like the wild west! Anything goes. They definitely do not have the same manners and decorum policy that we do at ATS! I have been shocked at some of the stuff I've read in the forums at that site.

Still I think this issue in my opinion, is very controversial.

I do agree with some of the posters here:

Making a death threat against a police officer an online forum = stupid.

Posting that officers address on the online forum = Really stupid and dangerous.

As now the officer and his family's security is now compromised, and if I were them I would think about moving. The officer may in fact be guilty, but his family is not. There are a lot of lunatics out ther who may not be able to make that distinction.

That being said, I think this opens a whole new can of worms. It could set a precedent as to what measures the FBI can take and the powers that they can assume in order to obtain the identities of "anonymous" posters in online forums. And yes, I beleive free speech reaches its limit when you start making death threats against people.

This whole situation has the potential to become quite Orwellian.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Flame away.. but read what the man wrote. He was clearly threatening the lives of two officers. The first amendment does not protect that. I'm sorry, what these cops did was wrong, but this man isn't supported by the bill of rights.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The keyword starting the alleged threat was MAYBE.

Seems as though the gang mentality of people employed in law enforcement is one of "we can kill on the job and you can't complain".

The real problem however is us. all of us. We can stop all this.

We all have video recorders on our cellphones, we all reside in communities, UNITE.

www.classcanada.com is a site that explains how to do this.

[edit on 8-6-2009 by PAYBACKCOMESSOON]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
angry about excessive force why dont you go dont there and do the same damn thing

stupidity

so instead of one innocent person dead and one person in jail its going to be like 4 people dead and 1 in jail

not a good trade imo

hes an idiot for making those threats and the first amendment dosent protect death threats and then he had the address and continued with it and said it was a promise

if i was the cops i would have done the same thing, but still # pigs not cops pigs

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Further to the point, people are sick of people killing other people under the disguise of a job or uniform. Murder is murder, no matter how they butter it up. If you take someone from their home and demand money for release it is called kidnapping and extortion, if they do this it is called arresting and bail review. If you accidentally kill someone with a taser it is called homicide, if they do this, it is called procedural accident. If you take a life of a person in the police force it is called MURDER, if they do it, the headline reads "Man dies in confrontation with police".

The mainstream media is a problem to the problem, they themselves write the ads, not reports, but politicasl ads on these events and do so in a politically correct thought formula. We are the fools for believing anything that the media or the police say. Until there is transparency in government, policing and media, they will continue to pull wool over the masses eyes and disguise their evil as community focus.

Just the fact Jack!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join