It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery solved: One Bible - 38,000 Christian denominations

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
To make it simple, she is saying that the Holy Spirit guides you when you read through Scriptures, but the Holy Spirit is not just anything. It is the Spirit of God. So through His Spirit we can understand Scripture and miracles will happen to those who believe. Signs are given, but we don't have to look. They sort of just happen.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
When was it determined that the bible is perfect i was told in Catholic school that the bible was written by man and therefore imperfect.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomInChains
When was it determined that the bible is perfect i was told in Catholic school that the bible was written by man and therefore imperfect.

Hi/

It was determined By Jesus Christ Himself!!!
I suggest you go back to the Catholic school and tell them to re read Scripture!

The Bible is not imperfect....Man Is!

helen

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Jesus Christ didn't write the bible

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by watchtheashes

These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God...

(Bold is mine)

Because, when you really look at the rantings of some over 4000-year old disconnected arrangement of "old speak" you see multiple similarities to even ancient "beliefs"...this one, that I bolded, is a reference to the Egyptian god 'Amun', as translated by scholars.

There truly is never anything new, under the Sun. Same old 'creation' myths, invented by Stone Age people first, most likely...passed down orally for thousands of generations. AND, along the way, each storyteller embellishing and adding his/her (probably mostly his) own little spin. It is human nature to brag, to believe that you are the only one with the inside knowledge. This is the sad history of religion, in Humans.

I had a bet with myself, how long for bible "thumpers" to appear here...second post, 11 minutes...certainly a record?

[edit on 6/7/0909 by weedwhacker]

wow. if it is such a leap for you to think of maybe why bible-thumpers came here, then you're obviously an idiot, or being fecitious at the expense of others.

"the key to being good at basketball"

wow. look at how long it took for basketball players to come...i'm sooo smart.

I stand outside of public washrooms too. I know that somebody will come in, and use it to go number one or number two. There is the proof of my mental superiority. bwahaha!!

I guess we can all just sit back in the tidal wave that is you knowledge until it knocks us out of our seat. We'll just assume that the devil didn't want to pervert or confuse people at all, and that he would have left the word of God alone.

You're like an indigo child without a gift.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by helen670

The bible imo, is a sum of potentially perfect ideals and ways for oneness with God, however, it is what is included and what is not that is imperfect. I look around at the pharisees today and i can kind of see where Jesus is coming from when he was constantly angry at them. Full of themselves, unchanging in their beliefs, afraid of the truth. The mirror image of those they attempt to "save".

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
quote///And the Spirit said to Philip, "Go up and join this chariot." So Philip ran to him, and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and asked, "Do you understand what you are reading?" And he said, "How can I, unless some one guides me?" Acts of the Apostles 8:26-39

Again I'd like to thank you for quoting scripture - I find it important for people to do that when defending/talking about their faith.

On the other hand, quoting a story as what we should do is irrelevant, otherwise I could quote Lot and have sex with my daughters or quote Solomon and have sex with my neighbor's wife, then have him killed. Simply being in the Bible does not qualify as an instruction for life.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Hi/

I suggest you go back to the Catholic school and tell them to re read Scripture!

helen

The Bible was written AFTER Jesus died...

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
To those who rant against the Christian religion I always say fine, that's underrstandable, but be sure not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I mean just take a look at the Sermon on the Mount and the Parable of the Good Samaritan and consider deeply the value of the Golden Rule, and what are it's implications, even metaphysically speaking. Why say, because organized religion hasn't been all that good for mankind over the centuries, that it's all bunk? That's absurd and a very narrow minded viewpoint. There are many rich treasures of wisdom in the Bible, and some stuff that's not so great. Not all Christians believe that the Bible is the innerant literal word of God, but merely that it's inspired writing, which possesses a thread of meaning throughout and is true to it's word, or promise whereby much of the OT is a foreshadowing of the revelation and the new covenant of the New Testament. Especially the New Testament is worth re-reading and pondering - there's something there of profound genious and of the farthest implications for the seeker and the searcher.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by notreallyalive

My honest reply is this - I'm sure you saw zeitgeist and what not, but near the beginning there is a man talking and he is talking about the "truth," and he says this: "Unless and until you are prepared to look at the whole truth, wherever it may go whoever it may lead to, if you want to look the other way or play favorites, then somewhere along the line you're going to find out you're messing with divine justice. The more you educate yourself the more you understand where things come from, the more obvious they become and you begin to see lies everywhere. You have to know the truth and seek the truth and the truth will set you free."
My honest opinion is that there is one truth and people try to interpret their way and this that and the other but you have to get personal with it, in my opinion, to fully understand it. You have to spend your time learning about God and Jesus and religion to develop your view on it. And there have been many people who have tried to push all Christendom under one roof, and it simply doesn't work. I am still a baby Christian. I'm still learning, but I'm thirsty for it so I love to learn about God and religion. If I find something in my church (I am currently not apart of one for my own reasons but I am still searching.) I waste no time in getting out of there. If something being preached contradicts the Bible then I don't believe in it. And I think that has to do with alot of what is wrong with Christians today, everyone has conformed to their parents or friends beliefs and they haven't actually done soul searching themselves.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint
To those who rant against the Christian religion I always say fine, that's underrstandable, but be sure not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I mean just take a look at the Sermon on the Mount and the Parable of the Good Samaritan and consider deeply the value of the Golden Rule, and what are it's implications, even metaphysically speaking. Why say, because organized religion hasn't been all that good for mankind over the centuries, that it's all bunk? That's absurd and a very narrow minded viewpoint. There are many rich treasures of wisdom in the Bible, and some stuff that's not so great. Not all Christians believe that the Bible is the innerant literal word of God, but merely that it's inspired writing, which possesses a thread of meaning throughout and is true to it's word, or promise whereby much of the OT is a foreshadowing of the revelation and the new covenant of the New Testament. Especially the New Testament is worth re-reading and pondering - there's something there of profound genious and of the farthest implications for the seeker and the searcher.

I agree! There are a great many wonderful and insightful texts, stories, viewpoints, and teachers on this planet. I'm not sure anyone on this thread said that we should throw it all out, but I like your point anyhow.

I personally find most religious texts which I've read to be valuable in some way. One the greatest things we, as humans, can do, in my opinion, is to attempt to find the common thread of 'spirit or consciousness' which is inherent in most religions.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boogley
reply to post by notreallyalive

My honest reply is this - I'm sure you saw zeitgeist and what not, but near the beginning there is a man talking and he is talking about the "truth," and he says this: "Unless and until you are prepared to look at the whole truth, wherever it may go whoever it may lead to, if you want to look the other way or play favorites, then somewhere along the line you're going to find out you're messing with divine justice. The more you educate yourself the more you understand where things come from, the more obvious they become and you begin to see lies everywhere. You have to know the truth and seek the truth and the truth will set you free."
My honest opinion is that there is one truth and people try to interpret their way and this that and the other but you have to get personal with it, in my opinion, to fully understand it. You have to spend your time learning about God and Jesus and religion to develop your view on it. And there have been many people who have tried to push all Christendom under one roof, and it simply doesn't work. I am still a baby Christian. I'm still learning, but I'm thirsty for it so I love to learn about God and religion. If I find something in my church (I am currently not apart of one for my own reasons but I am still searching.) I waste no time in getting out of there. If something being preached contradicts the Bible then I don't believe in it. And I think that has to do with alot of what is wrong with Christians today, everyone has conformed to their parents or friends beliefs and they haven't actually done soul searching themselves.

The whole truth, the real truth does not END within the confines of Christianity!

I gave up Christianity, meditated for a few years, found that my core beliefs were in Tibetan Buddhism, and eight years later decided my choice is not to live the lifestyle of a Tibetan Buddhist monk. I am here to live as a human, and, especially NOT as a human confined to one religion.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by notreallyalive]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
As I have been most active on this thread and have answers or defenses I would like to point out that I do not claim to know some ultimate truth.

I know that in directing energy channels in the body I can heal people, I know that I can altar the states of my mind to perceive reality in a way that is not common. I know that quantum mechanics describes material reality as "not solid" and I know that people who have had an Out of Body Experience see a compassion which is greater than what most other humans do. Are these in the Bible? No.

That's why I wrote this thread. Dinosaurs aren't in the Bible, Adam and Eve's daughters, if they had any, aren't in the Bible, evolution (not from monkeys but from generation-to-generation) is not in the Bible - yet we have proof that beings evolve through RNA/DNA.

My idea was to say let's look beyond ONE Bible, beyond our ONE ideal of truth. If it takes questioning your ONE source of truth, than PLEASE go for it!

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Hi/

helen

I'm sorry but i'm gonna have to disagree. the bible is not perfect, not to say that man is but com'on the bible perfect? Give me a break...

Peace!!!

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Last i heard The bible was supposedly the word of god written by man, correct me if I'm wrong...

PEACE!!!

[edit on 04/16/2009 by Lichter daraus]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This is an excellent post! Star and Flag. Knowing there are 38,000 Christian denominations answers a few questions but it still doesn't answer how 38,000 Christian denominations can come up with such different translations of the bible and what Christianity is...

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The Bible, Old and New, is an incredible collection God-Inspired writings. It's myth and wisdom is easily as rich as any inspired writing in our history. But is it the only God-Inspired piece of work and perfect in it's final rendition? How could it be? Especially since what we see as the bible today was put together when Constantine the Great, the first Christian Emperor, ordered the Council of Nicaea to decide what books should be included in the Bible and what books should end up on the cutting room floor (hundreds apparently, all burned and destroyed). And all this for political reasons so as to make Christianity the official state religion and to give new authority to the Church (backed, of course by the Roman Empire). Is it really believed that God's hand was at play in the burning, and the altering of the word of God?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neo__
The Bible, Old and New, is an incredible collection God-Inspired writings. It's myth and wisdom is easily as rich as any inspired writing in our history. But is it the only God-Inspired piece of work and perfect in it's final rendition? How could it be? Especially since what we see as the bible today was put together when Constantine the Great, the first Christian Emperor, ordered the Council of Nicaea to decide what books should be included in the Bible and what books should end up on the cutting room floor (hundreds apparently, all burned and destroyed). And all this for political reasons so as to make Christianity the official state religion and to give new authority to the Church (backed, of course by the Roman Empire). Is it really believed that God's hand was at play in the burning, and the altering of the word of God?

Well said!

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sundancer
This is an excellent post! Star and Flag. Knowing there are 38,000 Christian denominations answers a few questions but it still doesn't answer how 38,000 Christian denominations can come up with such different translations of the bible and what Christianity is...

Hi/

You want an answer as to why there are so many different translations and denominations in Christianity?
That's easy,
to quote///"when people will not endure sound doctrine,
but according to their own desires they will choose teachers who will tell them just what they want to hear.
They will turn their ears away from the truth and go after fables" (2 Tim. 4:3-4)
And ''"Take heed that no man deceive you.
For many shall come in my name,
saying I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
Do not follow them.
For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.
See,
I have told you beforehand" (Mt. 24:5, 24; Mrk. 13:6).

Again, no contradiction in the Bible,Just Truth.

Now, We all know and understand the Law....Why are there so many Law breakers?

helen

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus

Last i heard The bible was supposedly the word of god written by man, correct me if I'm wrong...

PEACE!!!

[edit on 04/16/2009 by Lichter daraus]

Written by man, Inspired by God.

The men chosen for this task was not someone like you and I.
These people followed God and His law in the greatest respect.
They prayed and fasted and then did according to 'Gods Will' and not mans.
The Lords prayer reads....
Our Father who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be thy name,
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy will be done......Not OUR WILL,but Gods WILL.

Today man wants MY WILL and not Gods Will.

I'm going to insist, there is no contradiction in the Word of God,.

helen

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join