It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery solved: One Bible - 38,000 Christian denominations

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
According to Christianity Today website there are 38,000 different denominations within Christianity*. If the Christian Bible is perportedly a perfect work written by God how can this be explained!?

Here's one answer: "fitting in" is of crucial importance to us as human beings

Although the evidence I'm giving is something I thought of I guarantee I am not the first one to think of it. It is based on one of the more famous, well-documented Psychology experiments in history.

In the 1950s Solomon Asch performed experiments testing how people react when they are subtly forced to go against the tide of their peers' decisions. He made a very simple test in which groups of 8-15 people were shown a set of three unequal-length lines and asked to choose which line matches a sample line. Check out the video:
www.youtube.com...

Amazingly more than 30% of people knowingly chose the WRONG answer just because everyone else in the room chose a specific answer (which was incorrect; part of the experiment). The numbers vary because so many experiments were conducted in the 50s; at very minimum 33% of people knowingly chose an incorrect answer due to peer pressure.
faculty.babson.edu...

HOW DOES THIS RELATE TO CHRISTIANITY?

An example will be most efficacious here:
You go to church and your pastor says "God is a good God." You think of how God has ruined cities, chose a favorite twin and shunned the other while the twins were still in the womb, chooses a favorite people, and think, "God is NOT a good God... He's sort of selfish." You still consider yourself Christian and go along with the majority of what the pastor says.

If the pastor says "If you pray hard enough you can get a Porsche" [true experience for me!] you may choose to leave that church and find a different one, one that more conforms to your beliefs of what Christianity should be.

The Bible can be interpretted in many ways and has numerous variables which counter each other. Is this dichotomy a deal-breaker? For me it was... but if you're in the group who might rather conform than look truth in the eye, you may still consider yourself Christian, even though some of your beliefs don't quite match other people in your faith.

[* christianity.about.com...]

[edit on 7-6-2009 by notreallyalive]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Those 38,000 denominations should all be seated under one house. The House of God and His Christ.

Don't claim any denomination and accept all peoples like Jesus did. He stayed with a tax collector and made conversation with sinners. For what would it profit if he only talked with the righteous?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchtheashes
Those 38,000 denominations should all be seated under one house. The House of God and His Christ.

But they're not... a Catholic will NOT go to a Protestant church, someone who calls him- or herself Baptist would not go to a Pentacostal church. should or not, people have their own comfortable ideas.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
That can be explained by this prophecy.

Revelation 3:

"1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. 2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God. 3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee. 4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy. 5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. 6 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;

8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name. 9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee. 10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. 11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown. 12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. 13 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. 22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I agree with this post and have also had similiar beliefs.

Due to the people I know who are church goers, they all seem to have the same thing about them.

They need attention and to fit in.

It's more of a social gathering, meeting before hand, listening to the leader for an hour, staying hours later hanging out, then going and getting lunch as a big group, then going to someones house, then to a dinner party.

So a whole Sunday filled with eating out, hanging out, "partying", and only one hour of even mentioning god.

It's a place where people who need to be told they are worth something go.

And a place for people who don't want to research their own answers to questions.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Revelation 3:

I appreciate you using scripture to back your position, especially scripture spoken by Jesus. On the other hand I have no idea why you chose this set of scriptures...

Are you saying that I'm not worthy of knowing the truth because I don't know Jesus' words? This has nothing to do with why there are numerous churches [38,000] based on one word of God.

What you posted is also a perfect example of my point! What is He talking about "The seven spirits of God"?? Do all Christians take this as truth? What does it mean? Is God One, Three, or Seven??

By the way, I used the NIV translation because I have no idea what that meant lol

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
To simply put it I call it a byproduct of European expansion/imperialism, American freedom of religion, freedom of movement, lack of strong and non-corrupt leadership in the pre-established churches, population boom, and even outright human greed(like mega churches that are simply put more entertainment than worship).

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by watchtheashes

These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God...

(Bold is mine)

Because, when you really look at the rantings of some over 4000-year old disconnected arrangement of "old speak" you see multiple similarities to even ancient "beliefs"...this one, that I bolded, is a reference to the Egyptian god 'Amun', as translated by scholars.

There truly is never anything new, under the Sun. Same old 'creation' myths, invented by Stone Age people first, most likely...passed down orally for thousands of generations. AND, along the way, each storyteller embellishing and adding his/her (probably mostly his) own little spin. It is human nature to brag, to believe that you are the only one with the inside knowledge. This is the sad history of religion, in Humans.

I had a bet with myself, how long for bible "thumpers" to appear here...second post, 11 minutes...certainly a record?

[edit on 6/7/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

I had a bet with myself, how long for bible "thumpers" to appear here...second post, 11 minutes...certainly a record?

I knew that would be part of this thread =)

I have a somewhat unique view on things in that I read the Bible as a Christian (pretty rare lol) AND read the Bible again after giving Christianity up. I'm all too happy to discuss religions with people.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
As a side note it's difficult to find exactly how many different translations there are of the Bible; most sites with that question link you to scripture of how they're ultimately all the same, etc...

I've found there are at least 29 different translations but up to 100 in some citations. God is totally unfair to make one book SO vague, OR, man wrote it.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by notreallyalive

Revelation 3:

I appreciate you using scripture to back your position, especially scripture spoken by Jesus. On the other hand I have no idea why you chose this set of scriptures...

Are you saying that I'm not worthy of knowing the truth because I don't know Jesus' words? This has nothing to do with why there are numerous churches [38,000] based on one word of God.

What you posted is also a perfect example of my point! What is He talking about "The seven spirits of God"?? Do all Christians take this as truth? What does it mean? Is God One, Three, or Seven??

By the way, I used the NIV translation because I have no idea what that meant lol

Hi/
Although there is alot more to this then I could explain, here are the basics/

Revelation of Saint John given to him on the Lords Day/
He speaks to about the Epoch the church will go through...
Seven is mentioned frequently in Revelation.
Seven plagues..
seven selals..
seven trumpets...

A careful study of the letters to the seven churches of Asia Minor brings to mind that in them are outlined the fate of Christ's Church, from the Apostolic period up to the time of the end of the world.
Letters to the Seven Churches~

St John was instructed to pass these letters to the "angels" of these churches, i.e., to the bishops...

What is a church?
an essential element of the true church (Acts 8:17, 1 Tim 4:14, Heb 6:2)

We are also living in the year 7517-2009

Many Prophecies have been said about the generation we live in now.

The Early Church also recognizes seven ecumenical councils.(held between the 4th and the 8th century)
Many more to list here...

helen

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by helen670

St John was instructed to pass these letters to the "angels" of these churches, i.e., to the bishops...

What is a church?

helen

whichever church feels right to me is right in the eyes of God? Like Protestant vs Baptist - not much difference (to me).

But what if I translate the stories of the Bible how I see fit and decide the Church of Latter Day Saints is correct, or that God many times talks about reincarnation so Buddhism is correct. Is ANY choice correct? What about the Dead Sea Scrolls, the book of Thomas; it was left out of the Bible for various reasons but I choose to follow it.

This is too vague - why would a Supreme being make the ONE book we have something so difficult to correctly translate. If everything is correct why do people judge me and waive their Bible at me and say I'm going to Hell if I don't believe their way.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Most humans are lazy and followers and meaning making creatures.

That's why Obama speech is so powerful: his words are #ing vague.

So did Milton Erickson.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
hi/
I would also like to add ///

"If Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?" (Matt. 12:26).
This is exactly why Jesus Christ says :::When the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? (Luke 18:8)..many people will go their own practiced ways as to what a Christian is suppose to be,having their own belief system of what is a Christian.
But Scripture says that His true church will stand up until the end(Judgment day)

"Indeed, if 'we are all partakers of that one bread', then we all comprise one Body (1 Cor. 10:17), for Christ cannot be divided.
That is why the Church is called the Body of Christ,
(1 Cor. 12:27)"
Should there be so many Chrsitian denominations?
No.
This is the work of People and not Scripture.

The Church of Christ is one and unique (St. Cyprian of Carthage, On the Unity of the Church A.D. 252 or 257-Martyr ).
The unity of the Church, the Body of Christ, is based on the fact that she has one Head, the Lord Jesus Christ (Eph. 5:23), and that working in her is one Holy Spirit Who gives life to the Body of the Church and unites all her members with Christ as her Head.

Many buildings but only one Truth.

helen

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

We are also living in the year 7517-2009

We are living in the year 5769/2009.

For the Hebrews it is the latter half of the year before 2010 starts in September.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by helen670

The Seven Churches are Seven different Ages of the Church as well as Seven Churches.

Only the Church of Revelation 3:7 will be spared from the coming events. They will be with Christ at His coming to Resurrect the dead and save those who are alive and remain. This is two events.

then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

All luke-warm followers will have the Tribulation as a time to repent fully with the sinners. This goes for latter day Churches as well.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

you see multiple similarities to even ancient "beliefs"

Of course this is why the Anti-Christ will work so well. Especially if he comes with "aliens in a UFO." He will unite us all as one through religion instead of politics, and will be the savior of all religions put together. All is a matter of time. You'll get it soon enough and in your own time.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by helen670

Many buildings but only one Truth.

I agree with you on this statement. The truth is often deluded by man's own desire to shape God to his liking rather than having humanity back to the way the should have been. Thus you have many different divisions of the same basic doctrine. Truth is Jesus turned away no one.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by notreallyalive

On the other hand I have no idea why you chose this set of scriptures...

Because all of these are different Churches. Denominations are different. Only this age can understand. It doesn't matter who we are. We all have the same Teacher but if it goes beyond teacher then you are a son/daughter of God. When Jesus goes from teacher to more of a loving friendly relationship then you will truly know the mystery of God.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by notreallyalive

Originally posted by helen670

What is a church?

helen

whichever church feels right to me is right in the eyes of God? Like Protestant vs Baptist - not much difference (to me).

But what if I translate the stories of the Bible how I see fit and decide the Church of Latter Day Saints is correct, or that God many times talks about reincarnation so Buddhism is correct. Is ANY choice correct? What about the Dead Sea Scrolls, the book of Thomas; it was left out of the Bible for various reasons but I choose to follow it.

This is too vague - why would a Supreme being make the ONE book we have something so difficult to correctly translate. If everything is correct why do people judge me and waive their Bible at me and say I'm going to Hell if I don't believe their way.

Hi/
You can follow whatever road you wish to follow...this is not the fault of the Bible or God.
If one chooses to translate the Bible according to their own understanding, then this is also not the fault of God.
Scripture says that we must have someone to show us that understanding...
eg///It's like going to school...if the teacher wont teach you, then how are you suppose to learn?
If the Law has no boundaries, then how is one suppose to know if one is breaking that law?

quote///And the Spirit said to Philip, "Go up and join this chariot." So Philip ran to him, and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and asked, "Do you understand what you are reading?" And he said, "How can I, unless some one guides me?" Acts of the Apostles 8:26-39

As for those that Judge you,this again is not the fault of the Bible or that of God.
People will always lay the blame on others and deny their own faults.
eg///Its easier to see the faults of others, then to see your own faults.

Hope that helps,
helen

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join