It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery solved: One Bible - 38,000 Christian denominations

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Admittedly, I did not read all of the posts but I will share my experience quickly:

It seems to me that it is silly to sit in most "churches" to hear a "pastor" ramble on for and hour or so over 1 or 2 freakin verses' Ok, it is like, I am smart enough to read those books and decide truth for myself. Thank you anyways! And really, should I pass my dollars into your bucket for your time? Nope, don't think so, but even if that sounded like a good idea, it turns out that those silly little green pieces of paper are worthless anyway (needs another thread). But then again, it helped purchase his pretty little watch, now didn't it?

Oh, and let me listen to you tell me just how sexy my wife is during marital "counseling" sessions. Good times to be had by all. Was that god or an invite to a threesome? Well, I wasn't allowed to become a "member" of that church. Oh well, I suppose that the next step was an indoctrination into the military anyway..

I choose discernment. Here's to free will!

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Actually, there are 38.001 denominations of Christian churches. Cuz I jut started the Church of Holy Hell, I Dunno!
If anyone can sort out all of the writings presented in the Holy Bible, I would like to meet that person and listen to the explanations of "the truth".

Hey, I was driving down the road the other day, just having visited the newly opened Liqour Mart in Lancaster, a city where alcohol has been outlawed for over 60 years, until this year. Heh. I passed what used to be a restaurant and now the sign says, "Welcome ot the Church of the Tabernacle of Fire" Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! This stuff is scary. Didn't God say to no longer pass your kids through fire? Yikes! I watched, from a distance, as kids came out of a church one Sunday night and there was a big pile of CD's of rock music placed in the parking lot and the kids all danced on top of the CD's, praising God and telling the Deviil to "get out!" And then there was a big fire built where these CD's were burned and melted while the children running rampant in a "Jesus inspired" rampage and the parents all stood around and said, "Praiseeeeeeeeeeee Gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwd!" He is here tonight!!!!!!!! Ever watch the documentary titled "Jesus Camp"? Scary............and sad. It all makes me want to say, "Jeeeeeeesus Christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
this is a perfect example of divide and conquor

clearly all of these people have 38,000 different viewpoints on Jesus

however, this does seem a bit too small of a number

seriously in the beginning there was only one church, the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic church

which than was split along the lines of Catholic vs Eastern Orthodox around 1000 AD

Rome vs Constantinople

bla bla bla long story short - there are 37,998 copy cats

a interesting time line for anyone who cares
www.saintignatiuschurch.org...
[edit on 8-6-2009 by muzzleflash]

[edit on 8-6-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
In my studies 10 years ago, I remember the number was thought to be around 30, 000 denominations. That's quite an increase but why does this surprise people?

The growth of many things can be expressed exponentially, I figure the growth of the various heresies and religious movements within Christianity to be no different.

The great majority of these denominations were born out of the last 500 years with some contributing factors being the diminished influence of Rome, the Protestant Reformation and the general liberty-loving environment of western civilization.

The reason for all these divisions is not because the Bible is a confusing, hard to read text. It's because many regard the Bible as the sole, stand alone, all authoritative source of Christianity, when in reality, it must be read and interpreted in context; from "within the walls of the church" so to speak.

The large number of these denominations reinforces the notion that we are each a "little pope." We pick up the Bible, read a little, and thereafter voice our interpretations with papal-like authority, elevating those who agree and excommunicating all dissent. This just shows that our rebellious and prideful human nature is alive and well.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
The bible is a story that was derived from a history book that was a shared resource OF THE COMPLETE REMNANTS OT HUMANITY AFTER A GOBAL NEAR EXTINCTION EVENT.It was written after a time of high education HENCE HIGH TECHNOLOGY.It was designed to help humanity restore itself to a technological level as soon as humanly possible and it contained all of the direction we needed to get this far.

The bible was OBVIOUSLY distributed to one large group of humans who then splintered into several groups and then told two friends who told two friends and so on and so on.But the information was original to one source then was spread out in different directions and bastardized over and over through time until we got to where we are now.

Not a story of god but a story of survival and all of the lessons of humanity that we are required to learn in order to have a reasonable chance to survive in this universe.

We were supposed to let go of the religos angle when we were re-established,I just think it took a little longer than expected and a select few people took advantage of the power possesion of the knowledge afforded them.

Knowledge has always held immense power it still does today.

My grandfather was a religos man and we talked a great deal about religon ,a topic I could never endorse even with his sustantial experience in indoctrinating new recruits.When I was a grown man shortly before my grandfathers death he sent me a letter.In the letter he explained to me that he understood my lifelong inability to endorse any religon at all because he himself had never come to complete terms with the theology and the spirituality ,BUT HE IN ALL OF HIS LIFE COULD NOT FIND A PLACE WITH BETTER PEOPLE TO SURROUND HIS FAMILY WITH.He taught me that he sought to find order out of chaos and as a man he had to look beyond his own spiritual quest and protect and provide for his family and I learned that it was through his ability to answer his questions of creation and divinity BY GLANCING OVER AT THE WOMAN AND CHILDREN HE LOVED that he was able to attend church in good conscience. I learned about the absolute need we all have to feel safe and understood,that religon actually prevented chaos at least until a better way could be found and a better place to take a family could be found.

We are still searching for a perfect world and although science has overtaken religon in the minds of many we will always need to feel safe and loved.

Lose the government and monetary connections and the business connections and I say keep religon forever.
IF WE CANT SEPERATE CHURCH,MONEY,AND GOVERNMENT WE NEED TO ABOLISH ORGANIZED RELIGON TODAY BECAUSE THESE THREE THINGS CANNOT EXIST TOGETHER WITHOUT DESTROYING HUMANITY SOONER OR LATER.

We need to abolish religon because PEOPLE DONT KILL PEOPLE FOR MONEY AND PEOPLE DONT REALLY KILL PEOPLE FOR THEIR COUNTRY THEY KILL PEOPLE IN THE NAME OF RELIGON IN SUPPORT OF MONEY AND GOVERNMENT.

If there was no heaven and no redemption for sins HOW MANY PEOPLE WOULD BE WILLING TO DIE FOR a god they have never seen?

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
The light of the sun of god is cast upon everyone.
Some are radiated by its brilliance, others consumed by its wrath.
Judgment is always among us as it always has been, from birth, through life and at our death. People self reflect the light on themselves; good people surely know of their good deeds as the wicked know theirs. I know mine, for I am no perfection in this life, as NONE of us are.

The fear of judgment by god is over-rated, but unfortunately very real. People, including myself(though I'm not religous), mostly the religous though, seem to damn themselves into a following to 'save' their eternal soul through worship and asking of forgivness for 'sins'. I know, for I have feared god as have many. There is no rationalizing of this fear, unless you are wicked. I have 'sinned', I'm human, I make mistakes, but I feel I am a good, logically minded and moral soul.
I belive in an energy to which I retain the name 'god', for without which nothing would exist(in my mind at least). I console myself in a personal meditation, conversing (one way, I'm not insane..yet!) with god letting god know that I am aware of my negative actions and that I dont agree with them and want to better my train of thought.
Judgment is in this life and in death, acceptance to gods 'kingdom' is based on this... I dont think you'll face damnation coz you swore a cashier for short changing you 2 mins before you died. Religion doesn't matter, god and jesus care about the embers of man, the heart, soul and mind of us all. Wanting who you ARE not who you pretend to be.
Religion as it stands, is probably the biggest squabbling of fear and rejection, besides political conquests, which are involved in religion anyway.
Together in one denomination against all others. what's that all about? more like demonination.
As mentioned by watchtheashes; jesus turned NO ONE away. Imagine getting to the pearly gates and pete says, sorry dude, you had one too many 'bad days' gods still thinking about it, join the queue on the left to await judgment.
I love this life!
"it's just so ridiculous!" - (wish I could remember the movie that comes from)
Life is just so entertaining, fun and a little scary, occasionally, all at the same time.

Surely we are all here to benefit eachother, together we stand tall, divided (like that tower babel) we fall.

Sorry if i've gone off on a tangent, but damn, ain't that the joy of this site

Keep well, peace find you, even in pieces, peace out
Jimjolnir

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
The OP should reread what he/she has written -

You say that "God has ruined cities" - And how God is "selfish". And how a pastor tells you that hard prayer will reward you with a Porsche..........

It appears that you are blaming God for what mankind has done and said. You forget God created this planet, the universe, every single person that has ever lived - He also set rules and laws for His people to live by while inhabiting His creation.

But true to form, mankind got full of himself and wanted more and more, while refusing to play by the rules set forth by his Creator. And today, God is openly cursed and told to 'stay out of our lives' by the very ones that God created.

God destroyed, yes "ruined" the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah - He chose to rid those cities of the evil that mankind had created.
If you need proof of that, you can see that HERE

According to the Bible, God will destroy the evil of this world if mankind doesn't turn from sin. That appears to be coming soon.

Obviously you have mistaken God for an entity that you can get what you want but not have to play within the rules. What sense does that make unless compared to a selfish and entirely ego centered individual aka mankind.

The preacher that tried to sell you the Porsche story, may or may not be a true Christian - however, his actions are not within the Christian doctrine.

If you lump all Christian preachers in the same category as a sinful Porsche salesman claiming to be a preacher, then you might as well lump all non Christians in with the same mentality as that of Charles Manson. It would make as much/little sense.

Those 38 thousand different "religions" are also manmade - God did not create that mess - man did. Don't blame God for man's choices. God gives mankind free will and choice - some choose to do good, others choose to do evil.

I guarantee you that those "38k" different "religions" were created by mankind in further attempts to distance himself from rules or laws that he didn't want to have to abide by.
Same holds true for all the different "bibles" on the market today. There is only one true Bible - the Holy Bible. All of these other rewritten, reworded and revamped versions are creations of man. Need examples? There is an "Atheist bible" on the market, as well as a "Gay/Lesbian bible". All written to try to rewrite the laws and rules - all penned because of simple, but blatant, pride, vanity and selfishness.

Satan works diligently to deceive mankind into dissing God - he strives to create as much doubt as he can so that man will question God's entire existence. It appears he is doing a bang up job with some people.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Mankind changes from generation to generation - while God, and His scriptures, remain the same.

An excellent read about why the authorized King James Bible is the original and only Bible - can be found HERE

It is spiritually dangerous to read other "versions" since all other versions have been corrupted by mankind.

And the most important reason can be found in Revelation 22:

18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Hence, the authors of all of these "rewritten" versions aren't going to fare very well when they are standing before God.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Need proof that mankind writes his/her own "bible" when attempting to get around God's laws?

This is what the website of the Gay/Lesbian "bible" says:

You CAN be gay and a Christian! No guilt involved!
You CAN be sure the Scriptures say nothing against homosexuality at all!
You CAN live the life you were meant to lead.

The Bible makes it clear about homosexuality - but this manmade "bible" strives to convince people that what the true Bible says, isn't to be believed.

Man has rewritten the King James Bible numeroussss times in his attempt to water down God's laws for us. In mankind's warped sense of thinking, he thinks that if he publishes another version, rewording the parts that don't fit his sins or lifestyle, then he won't have to suffer accountability or consequences for his actions. Such as this "Gay/Lesbian" piece of trash that mankind has on the market.
Books like this only serve to deceive people right into into hell.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I have attended church most of my life. I have attended MANY different denominations. First off let me say in my opinion there was no discernible difference to me when attending services from a First Church of the Nazarene, an Assemblies of God, United Brethren, Baptist etc. The difference in many of these... numerous American denomination churches is very very minimal. Most of the differences I would see would be because of the difference in the congregations due to where I was at in the country... ie inner city, country, deep south, etc. In the church's doctrine the only thing I was concerned with is that they believed Jesus was God's Son and the only way to Heaven is believing he died for your sins and accepting him into your heart.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
The bible is a history of one nation of people and their interaction with their god. We follow the story, supposedly given to Moses by god, of creation and the start of mankind, up to the formation of the Mosiac Law and the religion of the Jews, don't forget that kind and peaceful genocide on the people of Canaan!
Then we come to the birth of Jesus and the so called history of his ministry.

The reason for so many religions is anyone can pretty much warp the words into their own meaning, hence all the various denominations. If we look to history we see the stories repeated in nearly all civilizations. The account of the worldwide flood is part of all history. From the days of Sumer to Egypt the birth of the godman has been told over and over again. Every so called sacred text urges the readers to live a good life, to be kind to their fellow man, and to deal honestly with their fellows. Why is the bible supreme??? It isn't, it is just another account of another civilization.

Truth can be found withing the tenants of all religion. There is a very good documentary that is quite old that covers this nicely. The Power of Myth is so good, but impossible to find on line for free. I just tried to find it with no success. Everywhere I did find it said it was removed, too bad.

The whole issue with god and man is relationship. A church, doctrine, or pastor will NEVER be a substitute for a relationship with the divine. The reason the gnostics were called heretics buy the so called "holy" catholic church is simply because they taught that experience with god is personal and requires no ritual, intermediary, or church fathers. It was all about POWER AND POLITICS, from Constantine to King Jimmy....keep the power and "god" all in the hands of the rich and the paupers will blindly follow.

No pauper or follower here!

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
If one looks at the overwheming majority of the 38,000 denominations, one would see that they essentially believe the same thing. It is the minor issues that separate them. Even then, they're not really all that separated. Most Christians believe that Christ is God, who came in human flesh to pay the pentalty of man's sin so that whoever would believe in him needn't perish but have eternal life. The majority of Christians rejoice together in that fact.

Most of the time, the difference in denomination stems from how people believe a the churches government should be. A Baptist church believes in the autonomy of the local church, and it's headed by a pastor. A Methodist church believes that a church needs a hierarchy, with bishops and what not. Presbyterians think that the congregation shouldn't own the church, but the heads of the denomination should.

Sadly, other times a denomination forms when a group of people aren't happy with a truly frivolous issue. This isn't right but it's a fact.

Don't be so quick to say either that people in one denomination aren't willing to worship with another. I rejoice wholeheartedly with any Christian that believes what I said above. Whether they're Luteran, Catholic, Evangelical Free, or whatever. That is what matters.

Many of the younger Chritsians, such as myself, are getting back to this view of Christianity. I wouldn't be surprised, if the world is still here, if in a few years, you start seeing less and less bickering amongst the different denominations. Because us future leaders know that the only thing that matters is Christ. [That's not to say that we're wishy washy theologically though--that's simply not the case!]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Sundancer

Knowing there are 38,000 Christian denominations answers a few questions but it still doesn't answer how 38,000 Christian denominations can come up with such different translations of the bible and what Christianity is...

The different denominations didn't come up with the different translations. The modern translations [basically every translation in use today except the King James] are translated by teams of men from scores of denominations. ]The only language that has a plethora of Bible translations is English, by-the-way. I can go to the Christian book store down the street from me, go and look at a German Bible, and there will only be about three or four.]

The reason that they're are different translations is for one of a couple reasons. Some are revisions of earlier ones. For example the New American Standard and the New King James. Some translations are not translations at all but paraphrases. These are created to convey the idea of the text instead of the Greek/Hebrew syntax, word order, etc. The New International Version is an example of a paraphrase. Some translations come about too becasue of textual discoveries. If a new NT fragment or manuscript is found for example, that is older than what was previously had, many scholars think it's beneficial to have a translation of the Bible that has some influence from that older text.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by helen670

I'm going to insist, there is no contradiction in the Word of God,.

helen

How about this one, might as well start at the very beginning...

Earth is created on the third day, but night and day started at day one. Night and day are due to the rotation of earth.
This is a BLATENT CONTRADICTION, period.

Genesis 1
1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
[material and gaseous matter, not Heaven and Earth - those are created later Heaven in 1:8, Earth in 1:10]

2And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
[creation of the Sun]

4And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

6And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
[sounds like a continent, but He calls it Heaven in Gen 1:8]

7And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
8And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

9And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

10And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

[edit on 8-6-2009 by notreallyalive]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Earth isn't the only planet in the universe - you, like most of pride filled mankind, are just "assuming" that the entire universe has but one planet with one species. Us. *laughable*

Millions and millions of people have, over the ages, tried to debunk the Bible, God and Jesus.

Take a number, my friend.

The Christians win in the end.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by nomorecruelty

The OP should reread what he/she has written -

Same holds true for all the different "bibles" on the market today. There is only one true Bible - the Holy Bible.

I reread it. What you say seems fair enough to me but it's all within the context that you get your information from the Bible and stay within the confines of Christianity.

Which Bible do you consider to be this "true Bible - the Holy Bible" do you read the ancient texts in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek? Or do you use some translation?

Just for curiosity which English version Bible translation do you recommend?
edited to add that you recommended the King James version in a subsequent post

[edit on 8-6-2009 by notreallyalive]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by notreallyalive

You're trying to read something into the text that isn't there.

The Earth, aka the planet, was created on day one--Genesis 1.1. [Notice that verse two goes on to describe how the Earth was!]

The earth, aka the ground, appeared on the third day---Genesis 1.8.

It's not a contradiction. It just so happens that in English the planet and the ground share a word.

[edit on 6/8/2009 by octotom]

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhead57

The whole issue with god and man is relationship. A church, doctrine, or pastor will NEVER be a substitute for a relationship with the divine. The reason the gnostics were called heretics buy the so called "holy" catholic church is simply because they taught that experience with god is personal and requires no ritual, intermediary, or church fathers. It was all about POWER AND POLITICS, from Constantine to King Jimmy....keep the power and "god" all in the hands of the rich and the paupers will blindly follow.

No pauper or follower here!

Amen!

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by notreallyalive

Definitely the King James Bible - not the "new" KJ Bible but the original KJ.

There are so many rewritten/revamped "bibles" on the market today, I can understand all of the confusion.

I also have a 1611 for reference as well as Strong's Concordance and a children's Bible written in 1972.

posted on Jun, 8 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

I appreciate your open-mindedness! I feel I did the same, except I extended my worldview from "within Christianity" to include other religions and beliefs.

The day I gave up Christianity (after a many year struggle) was the scariest day of my life at the time! I looked in the mirror and said, "I am not Christian" and wondered if I would be struck down by lightning, die on the spot.... but I didn't! It was one the most liberating and freeing choices I have EVER made in my life! That was about 15 years ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join