It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Permaculture: A step towards independence [videos]

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Hello everyone.

Given the recent threads about Monsanto's evil and the Pharmaceutical company's potentially withheld cancer cures, I would like to inform you that a channel called Veria airs a program called, "Under the Sun". I urge everyone to watch this channel, for it is very informative about natural living. If you do not get the channel, here is the website: www.veria.com...

The program actually did an amazing episode on permaculture. The following are the links to the videos:

I apologize in advance if the videos are out of order. The website just lists them randomly. However, I do believe this is the correct order.

Permaculture 1: www.veria.com...

Permaculture 2: www.veria.com...

Permaculture 3: www.veria.com...

Please, I implore everyone to browse the video archives. Extremely informative!

How to make your own organic jam....

www.veria.com...

And how to make your own juice....

www.veria.com...

It just goes on and on.

My Thoughts:

Concisely put, I do believe these are the steps, we in the U.S., need to take in order to break free of the system (perhaps in other countries as well). One of the greatest methods used by the corporations, is to create dependency. A dependency on an inefficient product, non-nutritional food, cigarettes, over-the-counter drugs, prescribed drugs, and most of all, money. Money is convenient and yet it is our means of survival. To be independent, and to start revolutionizing our society, we must rid ourselves of the corporate placed dependencies. Hence, what I have presented above, is a fine example of an initial step to be made.

I hope that was concise.

Anyway. ttyl

[edit on 7-6-2009 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Thank you for this and for helping get the word out!
Star and flag and I hope everyone takes a serious look at this.
It may get to a point we have no choice but permaculture anymore.
I would like to think we can continue our free spending way of living, but
we may be hurting our future sustainability by doing so. IMO
Of course, miracles do happen...we may wake up in time.
You are exactly right, we are heavily dependant on this "system".
The more we can install our own "systems", the better off we will be.
Regardless of what happens we will be insulated from the worst!

Thank you, thank you!

[edit on 7-6-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I already grow a lot of food as my indoor houseplants.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
To utilise permaculture properly, you need quite a lot of land and a lot of time.

I've done quite a bit of research on permaculture and it is in desperate need of an update and overhaul to be relevant in modern times.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Hi Chad! If you wouldn't mind me asking, how much land per person?
I do know it takes time. I farm and garden and with the yardwork too,
I'm worn out! Oh, I also work full time and play in a band! whew!
Do you have any ideas for updating or maybe you should think about
writing a book of your experiences. I think it is very relevant now and
will become even more so in the future. I hope. Your thoughts?
I would appreciate them if you wouldn't mind.
Another idea, maybe you could teach classes on the subject!
If Australia wasnt so far to commute, I'd sign up!

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I also enjoy this easy to understand and watch video on setting up a Permaculture lot: Backyard Permaculture

star and flag, thank you for this post and the effort you put into it.

[edit on 6/7/2009 by blind.face]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   

the video that I posted above shows how you can do your own Permaculture living in a smaller area of land.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by blind.face

Thanks for that!
Honestly I've only looked at it enough to know it really makes sense.
Kind of the last step to true sustainability, I feel.
Thanks everyone for your posts!

I gotta crash for now...
I will watch the videos tomorrow. G' nite all.

[edit on 7-6-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

I have thought about writing a book about it actually.

As for how much land? To have a proper fully self sustained garden, which would include a pond, pig pen, chook pen and an orchard amongst other things you'd probably need an acre of free land.

As blind.face mentions, you can scale it back to suit the size of your yard but it becomes very difficult to be self sustaining (it is better than nothing of course).

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by blind.face

Yes. Thank you!

I am currently watching the video now. Great detail and perspective into the setup process.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

I guess a pertinent question would be: Are you saying that the output of the permaculture lifestyle is not enough for self sufficiency?

EDIT: You do not seem too optimistic about the style in general. Or am I wrong? Have you tried it?

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   

I also agree with Chadwickus, the more land you have to work with.. the better. If you are looking to start from scratch (ie. you are looking to buy some land in the near future for just this purpose, at least and acre, but I would say 1 1/2 - 2 would be a much better long-term investment.

At the moment, my wife and I are living in a decently populated Mexican city of a little over a million people.. if you have ever visited this part of Sonora.. you know that there isn't a lot to work with as far as a yard or prime soil/climate.

We have set up a small greenhouse on our loft of the second floor, and a little bit larger one on the roof area where we do what we can to grow what we can. We are also preparing a 'box yard' in the back for more gardening.

In Georgia, where we are from we are currently looking for a five acre lot to begin building on within the next five to seven years.. this is where our imaginations run wild with new ideas.

Really, the sky is the limit.. the underlying part of building a stable environment to live and grow in is independence, which in and of itself says that you can improvise and make it unique to you.

We have the advantage of being young (in our mid-twenties) and look forward to this becoming our way of life more and more as we get older. Start now! I promise, no matter what stage you are in life, you will not regret it. The benefits are endless.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

If done properly it is most definitely able to be completely self sufficient.

The problem is, most people these days don't have the time and space to do it properly, which is why I feel it could do with an update, the concept hasn't changed much since it's inception.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

I agree. I think a lot of people look at others planting a few vegetables in their yard as permacultre, and as great as that is, it is not anywhere close to all that it really is. For example, what my wife and I do currently, is nowhere near 'permaculture' but I hear a lot of people describe similar activities as such. It's good, but I can always be made better.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by blind.face AND reply to post by Chadwickus

Ah. I see. Self sufficiency is what I am striving for.
If it needs to be more efficient and productive, I would love to collaborate with you all. Finding a better method would be beneficial and maybe even make it more appealing to those who are too afraid or skeptical of the complete "break away" from the system.

Thank you for making your points.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Unlimitedpossibilities you are a definate Gem. Thankyou so much for posting these videos. I hold back my tears when i think how far away we have come from natural living. I so want to go back to that. I want to try the fruits and veggies my forefathers and formothers ate and garden the way my ancestors did. Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Applesandoranges

Morning guys and girls! Thanks for the reply Chad!
And thanks to everyone here for the info.
I wanted to mention the book that has helped me a bunch.
It is "Five Acres and Independence" by M.G. Kains.
I am sure there are others out there, but I found this one
for a song and dance on ebay! (Luckily I'm a musician)

I own three acres and I think if I did it right I could be
self sufficient with proper time and where-with-all.
I figure as long as I have a good job I need to stick with that.
But I am always plugging away at my self sufficiency dream.
I could go on and on about my solar panels, root cellar, garden, etc
but it is just a constant ongoing process driven by my lack of faith in
our current way of life as being truly sustainable.
We are too addicted to Mickey D's! I feel your pain applesandoranges.
I am afraid(most of us)we will never know there is a better/smarter way.
As for an easier way? Well nothing good is ever easy!

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mellisamouse

Hello Mellisamouse,
I'm thinking of doing the same. Are there any books or methods you would recommend?
Thank you.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Applesandoranges
Unlimitedpossibilities you are a definate Gem. Thankyou so much for posting these videos. I hold back my tears when i think how far away we have come from natural living. I so want to go back to that. I want to try the fruits and veggies my forefathers and formothers ate and garden the way my ancestors did. Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!

No. Thank you so much for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Just thinking about all the tainted food that I ate in the past makes me sick. Would I have developed differently as a child? Would I be different than I am now?

Without a childhood of video games, television, sugar drinks, and candy, would I have been "smarter" than I am now? Or more successful? I guess there is no way to tell for sure but I think in the long run we must strive to eradicate these types of distractions, or at least be put under moderation; a balance if you will.

Just look at how college has become a requisite path for most people who want to be successful in society (and 80% of my college's funding comes from corporations!). Either we are all getting dumbed down by poor diet, mainstream media, and other chemicals, or the standards have slowly been lowered over time. Perhaps both?

I envision such a beautiful future. I had a fantastic childhood, and when I realized the world was full of evil, ever since that epiphany, I have been trying to get back to those wonder years. I strive for solutions that unite us and not perpetual, segregational type arguments.

My real interests in life are music, philosophy, and physics. It is only because of the world being as it is, is the reason why I am here on ATS. Of course, that is the reason ATS is here as well. It is why it was created.

I think that is enough of my "rant".

Again thanks. ttyl

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom
reply to post by Applesandoranges

Morning guys and girls! Thanks for the reply Chad!
And thanks to everyone here for the info.
I wanted to mention the book that has helped me a bunch.
It is "Five Acres and Independence" by M.G. Kains.
I am sure there are others out there, but I found this one
for a song and dance on ebay! (Luckily I'm a musician)

I own three acres and I think if I did it right I could be
self sufficient with proper time and where-with-all.
I figure as long as I have a good job I need to stick with that.
But I am always plugging away at my self sufficiency dream.
I could go on and on about my solar panels, root cellar, garden, etc
but it is just a constant ongoing process driven by my lack of faith in
our current way of life as being truly sustainable.
We are too addicted to Mickey D's! I feel your pain applesandoranges.
I am afraid(most of us)we will never know there is a better/smarter way.
As for an easier way? Well nothing good is ever easy!

I would love to say nonsense when people create barriers for themselves. We are ever expanding on our thoughts why cant it be the same in our lives. Mickey D's ins placed in a spot but we have choices to go there or not. I understand people's addictions to their way of life and your current thought that not everyone will change their ways. It simply can change starting with you. We can all make little changes and make a differenc ein the way we live and treat eachother and the earth. It does start with you.
You do quite remind me of me. Always babbling how life could be, showing everyone my sustainability adventures and somettimes it falls on deaf ears. Im actually an example of a person who was a mainstream believer plucked out of the darkhole i driven myself in and started changing myself. There are no limitations to the possibilities of our co creation dreams.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join