It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Believing despite a lack of 'hard' evidence.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I've been interested in UFO's and aliens for as long as I can remember. It was actually my grandmother who got me interested in the subject when I was very young. I remember sitting watching the first series of the X-Files with her, fascinated by what was playing out in front of us.

Throughout the many years that I have been interested in and studied this field not once have I seen a UFO. Not once have I been abducted. Not once have I seen a video or photograph and thought 'That's it - undeniable proof.'

Many people say that in order for them to believe in the existence of anything - they need proof. In fact, one of my reasons for being an atheist is that there is no evidence that a God exists. Yet I believe in the existence of ET's without any such proof?

There is no real 'hard' evidence that will prove, outright that ET is out there and/or visiting us but there are a multitude of validated sightings, intriguing and controversial photographs and videos and numerous stories that have surfaced from reliable sources about what is going on in our skies and beyond. That to me is enough.

I find it impossible to accept that we are the only intelligent life in the universe. The odds are completely stacked against it. It saddens me when people say that there 'are no aliens,' as they often do in conversations. Sometimes, after a discussion has taken a certain route, I can get people to admit that they do think that something might be out there but don't want to mention it in case people think that they are crazy.

Is it crazy to think that out there, among the stars, are other civilisations? These civilisations may be having the same discussions as us. Others may be unrecognisable as life forms to us - perhaps because they are so highly evolved or perhaps because we simply cannot comprehend how they may have developed to suit their environment. Others, still, may be thousands of years behind us in development.

One thing is certain, I am sure they are out there and that one day that fact will be made public.

I don't expect it to happen in my lifetime. I don't even expect it to happen in my children's or grandchildren's lifetimes, but it will happen. I do not think that it will be though a Government disclosure either. Something so amazing will happen that everyone will just know that we are not alone.

To believe in something that is often ridiculed by friends, family, loved ones and society in general takes balls. Just ask the religous types. While I generally don't agree with a lot of what they have to say, we can agree on one thing - that having faith despite any concrete evidence is difficult at times. It can be testing. Also bear in mind that in many religions, their religious book is all the 'proof' they need.

What do we, as UFOlogists have?

We have videos that people scream CGI at.

We have photos that range from grainy and impossible to make out to ones that are too good to be true and people scream 'photoshop' at.

What we have is the unwavering belief that this planet is not a one off. It is is the tip of the iceberg. There are wonderous things out there, I'm sure of it. Probably some fairly nasty things too - but let's try not to dwell on them too much.

I suppose the point of me making this post is to call all UFOlogists to arms. To shout to stand together and not allow ourselves to be mocked or fed lies by the media and governments.

We 'know' what is out there. We know we believe it at the very least.

Until I see something myself, I'll never know for sure, but I will always believe - strongly believe at that.

I urge you to stick to your guns and do the same - against any who may seek to put you down.

Peace,

MGGG

[edit on 3-6-2009 by machinegun_go_go]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
there's more evidence of UFO's then God actually exists(any of them)

[edit on 3-6-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I think there is enough residual evidence as to make me not overlook and dismiss the topic outright.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I agree that there is 'evidence' but not what I'd call 'hard evidence', if you see what I'm getting at.

'Hard evidence' is the sort that would hopefully make the rest of the world wake up and take notice as to what is happening on every STS misssion, for example.

Peace,

MGGG

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Religion has been doing just great on making people believe in an imaginary friend despite the lack of evidence it's called faith. Just depends what you want to put your faith into I guess.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
I think there is enough residual evidence as to make me not overlook and dismiss the topic outright.

I agree -theres some quite credible radar/sonar evidence,ground trace evidence,government documentary evidence,video/photographic evidence,circumstantial evidence and sworn eyewitness testimony -
just no unequivocable proof.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
What's that saying again.. The absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. However, there is more than enough evidence that proves without doubt the UFO/ ET phenomena exist, for me anyway. Some people need more convincing. They probably have a hard time believing because they can't accept they have been lied to for so long. They think something this life changing can't be hidden from the public, it's simply impossible.

The cover up has gotten to the point where it's so mind boggling large, people refuse it's real simply because it's so MIND BOGGLING LARGE. It's just harder for some people to open up to the possibility. But I know there is something else going on we aren't told of. We aren't old a lot of things these days especially regarding UFO/ ET.

Originally posted by MR BOB
there's more evidence of UFO's then God actually exists(any of them)

[edit on 3-6-2009 by MR BOB]

I agree. I have no doubt there are UFO/ ET. I just can't get my head around why people believe in a guy with a beard that is watching us from the sky. The whole Adam and Eve story with talking snakes and people with magical powers is ridiculous to me. What is their proof? A book written by men thousands of years ago. Sorry, I need more than that.

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

I also agree. There is enough evidence to prove the UFO/ ET phenomena is real. You can't rule them out completely, you just can't.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I disagree with the OP saying there is NO 'hard' Evidence.

WHAT evidence is HARD enough then? Aliens landing on the Lane of the White House?

If you realy take the effort to dive into the UFO phenomena, there is more then enough proof IMAO. Or are all those people telling others what they have experienced cuckoo wackoo because you weren't there to experience it for yourself?
And what about all the pictures and footage that are REAL unidentified? Oh that doesn't count?

People who have had strange metal objects injected in them? Cows that we mutulated by a top surgeons who used methodes that no hospital ever used? All stories that people only fantasized / imagined?

There is HARD UFO proof for those who want to SEE. For those who are not afraid to connect the dots. For those who see that lots of so called inexplainable issues are part of existance beyond our current
Reality.

For the proof of God: there is NO religion that can proof that. No Holy Book ever written can proof God exists.
Books, rituals and traditions are written / made by men.

The ONLY proof that God The Creator does exist is a Deep Seach into the Self. For what is Body with no Soul?

Dead!

[edit on 6/3/2009 by Melyanna Tengwesta]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by machinegun_go_go
I urge you to stick to your guns and do the same - against any who may seek to put you down.

I always do it, but sometimes people call me a disinfo agent or a debunker.

You see, trying to find an explanation that is not inside the "box" of the "alien life forms are visiting Earth" explanation is sometimes hard to do here on ATS, but as belief is not knowledge (regardless of what some people say, at best is something else disguised as knowledge) we cannot really know just because we believe it.

But there's nothing wrong in believing, as long as you understand the difference and not mix reality with belief.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Well the skeptics also have to make judgements about what UFOs are with the same lack of evidence. I have seen plenty of quality UFO pictures but i have never seen a cool looking picture of swamp gass reflecting the light of anything.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Theres lots of 'hard' evidence, its just not ment for public consumption.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by machinegun_go_go

I could use the who needs physical evidence argument because we have photographic, video, first hand testimonies from government officials and a host of professionals in any number of fields. Law enforcement, military, firemen, doctors, lawyers, politicians, generals, scientists and a plethora of other reputable sources.

There is no denying oneself of the fact that there is life beyond this earth. Since the early days of spaceflight there have been anomalies captured on not only in photos but audio and video as well.

The conspiracy at the root of non-disclosure is that if it were to be revealed, that yes indeed life outside our circle of understanding did in fact exist beyond our planet; total chaos would ensue. Supposedly, the result of so many people's religious bubbles bursting, all at once.

In any regard, we can't let that happen now can we. No, we must hide the truth from the world at whatever the cost, bollocks to the quest for bettering mankind and finding the meaning of life, existence and reality.

I would be curious to know how many non-believers have not personally seen a UFO and if that, in itself; is the cause for their disbelief. Regardless of how much evidence they are given, they will staunchly defend their disbelief until physical proof lands in their lap. By perhaps the president, in person and he brought lunch and a mariachi band.

I love the title of this thread. You can use it quite nicely among a variety of topics, like oh say... religion. Combine that topic with the title. Ooh hot topic, we could be here all night, I'm sure.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Anything ET is a made up lie.
UFOs can be seen in the skies as high flying triangles.
Take a look some time and follow the craft and trail.

new topics

top topics

join