It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberalism - Could it be caused by developmental delay?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Hmmm..where to start. First, your entire basis for your conclusion that liberals are developmentally challenged is instantly flawed in that you evidence is based on preconceived notions.

Second, you have lumped every single liberal into one category and that is illogical. There is a multitude of different kinds of people in this country that exhibit all different kinds of mixed qualities.

For example, some people would consider me a liberal because I believe in equal rights for gays when it comes to marriage. I am pro choice. I think we really need to start treating our environment with some respect. However, with all that being said you might also call me a conservative since I hold the second amendment to be sacred and I think what the gov't --BOTH conservative and liberal gov't-- has done to limit that right is appalling. The bailouts that Bush let happen as well as Obama, were travesties, and the amount of money we spend each year on crap is ridiculous.

But, according to you, because I exhibit some liberal qualities I might as well be developmentally challenged.

Third, one poster was less than pleased at your post and, naturally, became heated. Your reaction was to say that they just proved your point by blaming everything on you, but YOU were the one who essentially called that poster developmentally challenged. That's not misplaced anger or putting blame on someone else. You are to blame for their hurt feelings because you started the thread.

Fourth, while you accuse liberals of blaming everything on everyone else but themselves, I have seen several of your threads and posts blaming the woes of the country on liberals. Go figure...

Let me say that I would be equally upset if a liberal had posted such nonsense. This has got to stop! People like this, whether it is a liberal, conservative, communist, white supremacist, religious freak, or anarchist are the reason this world is going to hell in a hand basket. All this hate for certain groups of people just because they aren't like you is astounding.

I might have approached you differently if you hadn't of lumped people into a labeled group. If you have a problem with people who display the qualities you put forth, fine. But once you put a label on them you have also just insulted an even larger group of people who don't exhibit all of those qualities but might consider themselves to be part of that label.

For the record, I am not a liberal.

edit: decided not to edit anything

[edit on 1-6-2009 by nunya13]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
allright, im gonna lay it down, as I dont align myself with any political party. This is f'ing retarded. it makes no sense whatsoever. Just a case of " my team is better than your team" .... to imply that people must be developmentaly disadvantaged or dropped on their head because they dont share your beleif structure ...... or even more retarded, ... your political inclinations. ............. is f'ing retarded. and the fact that you would put this some place for people to read just shows who the real toddlers are. you can give political party's any name you want, but its just a way to try to seperate ourselves from one another. Some people say, conservative, .. republican, democrat, ..... i say aholes, ... ahaha, political seperation is one of the reason this country's all jacked up.....

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
When a president can be elected on character alone, ..... the country would begin to realize its true potential, ........ the system is corrupt.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrVertigo
I'm really perplexed as to how intelligent people who read conspiracy boards can be so completely lost in this false left/right paradigm.

It is a construct for christs sake! Created by people who do not have our best interests at heart. It's purpose is to divide people and keep them bickering amongst each other.

I know it can be very gratifying to belittle people who you don't agree with and portray them as retarded or whatever but it's not helping the current state of affairs!

I think most people on here agree that these are very troubling times and yet people continue on with this partisan bs.

I think it's time people take a good hard look at themselves and decide on whether they want to be a part of the problem or part of the solution.

Ok... rant over. This just makes me really sad

Wow! That is EXACTLY how I Feel! Liberal/conservative/democrat/republican/christian/Jew/Muslim/Buddhist, Hindu. It doesn't matter! The same could be said for all! I AM NONE of these yet I am ALL of These! I AM HUMAN! I make MY OWN CHOICES, I DO NOT Want People telling ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE BECAUSE I DO NOT tell anybody How to Live theirs. None Of us Knows ALL The Answers, Our Truth is our own.
The first step to recovery is admitting there's a problem. The Human Race is a problem. and to believe that Maybe Peace Could work, well If Everybody TRULY Believed in what all these Religions teach about Loving your Neighbor well..... and say everybody Treated each other with Respect. But to call somebody "mentally ill" I begin to wonder if the whole Population is Mentally Ill!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I have always been of the belief that liberals think but do not reason, conservatives reason but don't think.
And middle of the roaders are just sychophants.
Good news?
We all have a place.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude
Let us examine the possibility that Liberalism is a developmental disease brought on by a lack of parental discipline or nurturing at an early age. First, let us take a look at common characteristics of toddlers that I think we can all agree on:

[edit on 6/1/2009 by justsomeboreddude]

Conservatism-let us examine the possibility that conservatism is brought on by mental retardation.

Seriously? Is this what you really consider to be a reasonable post?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
You just described the typical right wing conservative who claims anyone who thinks differently than they is developmentally delayed or some such nonsense.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
If what you know is right, then whomever thinks differently is obviously not right.
And if you can back up what you think is right with facts and not rhetoric then chances are. . .you're probably right.

Simple. So easy even a caveman (or liberal) can do it!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
A liberal is a conservative who hasn't been mugged yet.

anon

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
The fact that everyone who responded to the OP is showing signs they took him/her and his/herpost seriously tells me people on ATS have a SEVERE developmental delay.

Its sad and pathetic. Maybe I'm asking for too much out of ATS, but is some intelligence and lack of ignorance too much to ask for?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
You just described the typical right wing conservative who claims anyone who thinks differently than they is developmentally delayed or some such nonsense.

Well if that isnt just like liberal selective hearing. It makes me sad that I forgot to add that as point number 7 for the case that liberalism could possibly be caused by a developmental disorder.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ankhkeepernib

I am starting to wonder if people who believe in everythng but also in nothing are mentally ill. Maybe this could be fodder for a new thread.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst
When a president can be elected on character alone, ..... the country would begin to realize its true potential, ........ the system is corrupt.

Star for you. Wouldnt that be the day when a President was elected purely on character and nothing else. The world would probably spontaneously explode.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Ok if you want to compare liberals to parents then lets be honest and admit that if we were going to use that analogy than liberals would be enabling parents that buy their drug addicted children drugs. This enablement then inprisons them in a life of doom and failure only encouraged by their enablers.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude

Ok if you want to compare liberals to parents then lets be honest and admit that if we were going to use that analogy than liberals would be enabling parents that buy their drug addicted children drugs. This enablement then inprisons them in a life of doom and failure only encouraged by their enablers.

As an alcoholic and a liberal I really question the concept that "enablers" are somehow responsible for the bad behavior of addicts.

I embrace my personal responsibility for the bad actions I took when I was actively drinking, and those I take now that I no longer drink. To blame my parents for my sins is, to me, unreasonable and untenable.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
dear OP,

i havent the patience to read through all of your garbage. your thesis is seriously flawed from the start. and you are only trolling.

a sociological theory called "Boomeritis" was developed several years ago by the philosopher Ken Wilber. in it, he examines the issues you are attempting to discuss.

the basic idea is that conventionalism holds the middle ground of psycho-social development....in the following way:

pre-conventional -> conventional -> post-conventional

also represented thusly:

egoism -> conservatism -> liberalism

_____
the basic problem of "boomeritis" is that pre-conventional and post-conventional sound very similar to one another

pre-conventional says: "you cant tell me what to do!", in the sense of a toddler as you have pointed out in this thread.

post-conventional says: "you cant tell me what to do!", in the sense of a fully developed rational human being that refuses to see the world as a hierarchy.

the modern post-conventional liberal movement is infected with the pre-conventional mindset because they seem to be saying the same thing. but THEY ARE NOT! if you think they are, then you have seriously misunderstood liberalism. welcome to the post-post-modern world man. sounds like you need a guidebook.

i would say that the conservatism also has its own similar infection. wouldnt you? shall i start an offensive thread pointing out all the loonybins that like to call themselfs conservative????

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Where is the conspiracy ???

The only conspiracy I can see here is the bleating of partisan sheeple

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This is interesting after having had a hard core liberal in my home last night.

Narcissistic, condescending, preachy, cant keep a train of thought, uses comparative simplistic defenses in debate, is convinced that there is something wrong with folk that dont see their way, seeks to humiliate others of different persuasions. In short the kind of person you feel exhausted and dirty after talking to.

This guys parents let him call them by their first names when growing up. Broadcast to everyone at a certain point the he was a "man now" which simply meant for him that he could talk to established adults anyway he wanted to.

Having said all that I have seen conservative types act in the same fashion but over all the numbers go to the liberals. In fact sometimes it looks like not so much about political persuasion, but that the liberal vacuum easily sucks in these kind of people, gives them a podium and philosophy to hide behind like a drunk full of courage.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Well as a former alcoholic myself I wouldnt blame anyone but myself, but we all know those enablers who condone and even support your behavior when you are using. Its just like liberals condone and support the behavior of people who would rather breed than work.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp

post-conventional says: "you cant tell me what to do!", in the sense of a fully developed rational human being that refuses to see the world as a hierarchy.

Nice post.

Yes it seems to be that liberals in general tell people that there is no hierarchy while the conservatives tell people that there is. But these ideas are for the immature thinkers whatever the persuasion becouse many are lead by the nose thinking there is not a hierarchy while others are just lead by the nose.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join