It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberalism - Could it be caused by developmental delay?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Let us examine the possibility that Liberalism is a developmental disease brought on by a lack of parental discipline or nurturing at an early age. First, let us take a look at common characteristics of toddlers that I think we can all agree on:

1. Thinking they are always right and saying NO to any idea that conflicts with their selfish desires
2. Magical thinking
3. A need to have control of everyone around them
4. Dependence on their mother and father or a guardian for protection and sustenance
5. Throwing Tantrums and whining as a way of getting their way
6. Utter self-centeredness

Now let us compare those to the actions and thoughts of many extreme liberals.

Thinking they are always right and saying NO to any idea that conflicts with their selfish desires
It is common when discussing something with an extreme liberal that they will promptly refuse to continue on once you stop bowing to their beliefs. They will just give up a logical discussion and do the equivalent of a three year old taking their ball and going home. We have all seen it. They are right and you are stupid (or even a hater, racist, etc) for being against what they are for. For example, when you discuss Pro-Choice with them they will insinuate that you are uneducated for thinking it is murder to abort a zygote and will refuse to acknowledge that a human zygote, given what it needs to survive, will always become a human child. Trying to teach many of them the difference between right or wrong is just as fruitless as getting on your knees and looking a two year old in the eyes and explaining to them why it is wrong of them to smear their feces on the wall. They are just not mentally developed enough to understand simple concepts. The only consistent answer they can give is a resounding NO!

Magical Thinking
Most Extreme Liberals believe anything is possible. They commonly appear to believe that resources, including money, is unlimited and human nature will simply disappear if we are all nicer or are handed everything that we want or need. They seem to believe that money and resources magically grow on trees to support their social agenda, and the rest of us are unpatriotic for not wanting to hand ALL of our hard earned money to the government. The only time it seems like resources are in fact going to disappear is if they have something to gain about it, maybe green cars, or eco-friendly appliances.
To add to this, many of them believe that war and evil will simply disappear to exist if we would just be kinder and gentler to the very people that want to murder us. They believe it is our fault that our enemies may want to kill us.

A need to have control of everyone around them
Let me just give a few examples. They believe that since they disagree with guns or smoking that nobody should be allowed to own guns or smoke anywhere. They have decided that they know what is best for the world and therefore you shouldn’t have any choice in the matter, well unless you want to have an abortion. Then it is ok, because as long as the choice agrees with what they want then it is ok.

Dependence on their mother and father or a guardian for protection and sustenance
This idea is simply supported by their belief that once we are adults and our parents no longer support us then this role must be continued on by the government. A higher power, so to speak, to provide for and protect everyone from the consequences generated from their own actions or inactions. They seek to create a parental figure that will feed you, clothe you, and put a band-aid and some Peroxide on the scrapes and bruises that are the natural consequences of human mistakes. They want an entity to make everything fair and equal to all regardless of intelligence or ability or whether a person is a benefit to society or a burden.

Throwing Tantrums and whining as a way of getting their way
Many extreme liberals are oversensitive and throw a tantrum at the very list bit of someone questioning what they believe. You know the type. For example on ATS, they threaten to leave your thread or accuse you of this or that without any proof, and the only crime you have committed is to question them or test their logic and show that it may fail. They follow you around from thread to thread and insult you or better yet they post accusations on every thread you create, just for spite. Since many of them are against discipline and probably weren’t properly disciplined as a child they are left unequipped to control their childish emotions. Also, many extreme liberals tend to whine to get their way. They go to the government and whine so loud and persistently that new laws are constantly created just to shut them up. They whine about war, they whine about the environment, they whine about more support of the lazy, they whine every time the government or anyone around them does something that disagrees with their world view, etc… It works quite well, because the rest of us become so sick of it that many of us simply give in because the only other acceptable response would be considered violent abuse.

Utter self-centeredness
Just as a two year old screams at Wal-Mart for a shiny new toy and is unable to understand when you tell them that you cannot give them what they want at that moment, because you only have enough money to pay the mortgage and buy a few groceries, many extreme liberals want what they want and they want it now. They have no care of who it hurts, even if it hurts them, as long as they get their way.
Just as a two year old and his beliefs are the center of the universe for them, so it is for many of the extreme liberals. An example would be, the current extreme liberal administration demanding an agenda that is unaffordable, and, in their own words, unsustainable. As long as their self centered needs are met then to hell with the rest of us. The child hates their own parents as long as the child their own selfish desires met.

So I say this is all evidence that it could be true that liberals suffer from an early childhood or teenage developmental disorder. It could be due to a lack of parental discipline or a lack of parental care. This left them unable to develop past the emotional and mental equivalent of a 2 year old or possibly a 13 year old adolescent.

What are your thoughts on this being possible?

Additional Info/References:
Source 1
Source 2
Source 3
Source 4

Test your own psychology
Test your own psychology

[edit on 6/1/2009 by justsomeboreddude]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I for one think that environment plays a role in everything.

I like your thread, it's well thought out. But this doesn't only apply to liberalism. It can apply to conservatives as well, but not with the same examples of course.

I myself am a Libertarian, some would call that extremist, I think it's sensible. I won't pretend to have answer as to how things would work if everybody were a Libertarian, quite frankly that will never happen.

I disagree with your magical thinking however. I think that we have been fooled into thinking that nothing is possible, when the truth is, EVERYTHING is possible. We simply need the tools and the will to make it so.

Now these people haven't decided that they are better. The people gave them that concept when they were elected, and then their policies were un-challenged, even when they were wrong.

I think it comes down to pride, more than anything. The two sides constantly battle, and when one has a great idea, the other side will still argue, regardless of whether it's better than theirs or not.

And I think we are all self centered to a certain degree, politicans all have their agendas and we've allowed them to go forward, without so much as a stern talking to.

I usually disagree with you on these types of subjects, but you have written a great thread, and I will be happy to flag & star it

~Keeper

+22 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
And *THIS* thread is the *PRECISE* reason of why a bicameral political system is grossly flawed!

From someone who has read enough of Ancient History (as well as Plato's Republic and Aristotle's Politics & Poetics), to know that nothing in Politics ever changes or evolves even after thousands of years, I read your Right-wing propaganda and see each of your arguments equally applicable to the Ultra-Conservative as well as the Left-wing Liberal.

Thus, your arguments are greatly biased and flawed.

Politics is silly enough. It doesn't need more of the "us" vs. "them" mentality and blame-throwing.

People need to either stop taking politics, politicians, and political parties so seriously, or they need to grow up and get over themselves and realize that we are all human and no different from one another.

And for those that can't, then that's all the more the reason why we need a couple dozen more political parties to where two points on a line no longer apply to our political system.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thanks for the star, the flag, and the deep consideration you have given to my presentation. I see your point as well, how this may be applied to many extreme groups.

As far as Magical Thinking. I think there is a balance. You can dream that is great, but you cant base policies on a big fat MAYBE. Many things are possible. I dont know if would say anything is possible. Also, some things are possible but not economically feasible.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

I agree that we need more political parties. Though knowing our luck we would get so many some wackjob would get elected president. Ooops, that already happened. Well I mean even bigger wack job, like the head of the KKK or something.

I do think it is healthy though to discuss that one of the two political parties we do have could be filled with mentally ill people.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

Well that all depends on how well your country stands economically. Remember the proper system would ensure the proper growth and happiness of the overall population, domestic and foreign.

The problem again is that we allow these people to run this system, instead of US running the system. The voting doesn't do a thing anymore since popular vote doesn't even count in federal elections.

Anything is possible if it's planned correctly and implemented in a smart manner. Renewable energy for instance. Is it so far fetched to say that we could power the entire western sea board with solar power arrays?

Perhaps, but if one does the research and finds feasible land, and people willing to implement it, then cost isn't a factor, because it can be implemented in small increments.

Nothing has to be done all at once, that's how problems arise.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Somehow I think you get wiser by the day. I agree that there are many things that can be done to make the world better. I think solar or wind energy is a great idea for the private sector, with maybe a little incentive cash from the government. I mean they are passing it out like candy on Halloween, so what the heck.

The only problem with solar or wind is that some liberal environmentalist terrorist has already began blocking these project because some birds might get hurt or we are infringing on the animals natural territory. See how the world would be better if Liberals stopped acting like 2 year olds and let us move forward in life. But no, we are left sitting in the house watching tv waiting for the baby to take its nap.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Well I for one do agree that there is something about the liberal mentality that is off. Now before people jump on me, I understand that there are liberals that are rational thinkers and smart. and yes even conservatives (extremist) can have the same behaviors as well.

However, one thing that has always gotten me is the childish behavior we see more from the liberal side than the conservatives. Best example, who can forget all the instances on college campuses where whenever there was a conservative speaker or Republican speaker, there were instances of pie throwing and other food throwing incidents at them perpetrated by the liberal groups or students. Now why havent I ever heard of a conservative student doing the same thing to a liberal speaker? Why is it that 99% of the time I see liberals resorting to childish behavior like this? Sure sometimes conservatives do act out, but I have never seen one behave like the ones throwing pies at guest speakers because they dont agree with them? That has always struck me as peculiar. Granted maybe I never heard on the news of a conservative doing the same or missed it so I am not saying its never happened before, just i never seen or heard of it.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

You forgot being dropped on their heads as youngsters.
Also rabies, hoooo boy, when they get cheesed they do tend to foam at the mouth.

Other than that, good thread, well thought out.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GenRadek

Thanks for posting. Great example and more proof to support the idea. We all know that toddlers love to throw food, so it would be expected that we see this similar behavior from a group of people that are sadly left with the mental and emotional development of a 3 year old. I think if may be possible that if they were disciplined more it would have weened it out of them. You know spare the rod, turn your kid into a liberal.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude

Somehow I think you get wiser by the day.

Well I try, thank you my friend

The only problem with solar or wind is that some liberal environmentalist terrorist has already began blocking these project because some birds might get hurt or we are infringing on the animals natural territory. See how the world would be better if Liberals stopped acting like 2 year olds and let us move forward in life. But no, we are left sitting in the house watching tv waiting for the baby to take its nap.

Yup, your right, there are too many people coming up with dumb excuses for renewable energy. You see, birds aren't stupid, they will change their flight path if they realizet here is a obstacle there everytime they go.

But conservatives have a role to play in this as well. They don't want to give up the land. In Nevada for example, they think that solar arrays would "ruin the look" of the state. And we all know what's in Nevada....sand..and more sand...and some hillls.

So we are all wrong and some level or another. It requires that individual groups of citizens break the mold and actually stand up for that THEY want at the community level.

Too many decisions are made at the state and federal level that don't effect hose individuals. So why are those decisions left up to them?

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I havent heard of any conservatives that oppose the idea based on aesthics. Could you provide me a link to that, if you get a chance?

I do think we need to take personal responsiblity but we all know that most liberals dont even understand the concept of personal responsiblity. It is always someone elses fault or how they were raised, or we live in an evil society. At least most conservatives live by the rules of personal responsiblity.

Also, to answer your question about why do state and federal officials make up the rules for stuff that doesnt affect them.. it is because we live in a democratic republic. So if enough of the population is developmentally delayed then just like a good toddler they are going to like the people that give them what they want most often. I have a 2.5 year old and she loves her grand parents more than anyone else becuase they give her whatever she wants and they never tell her no. Being that Liberals are forever stuck in this mindset it is reasonable to assume that they will continue to vote not for the good of the country but for whoever lets them get away with whatever they want without making them face any consequences.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Thanks!

Well my folks raised me right. Taught me to use my head, think, use critical thinking, they punished me when I misbehaved, didnt let me have all the new toys and gadgets "everybody" was getting. I was taught the old fashioned way. And turning 24 this August, I dont know too many others that are like me. lol! But I thank my mom and dad for their raising of me. Nowdays I just shake my head and laugh when I see such liberals behaving they way they do. I do know some smart liberals myself and we do occasionally butt heads, but they are not the brainwashed toddlers like we see elsewhere.

Majoritywise, I've mostly seen the childish ones. Try talking with them ina civil manner like abortion or gun rights. Or on the military or any other talking point. Geeze its like talking to a 3rd grader. First they yell, then they try to ridicule you, then they go off on some outlandish tangents, then dive into nitpicking, and then they just start insulting you and the horse you rode in on. And they act so damn smug, even when they dont have a freakin clue. Geeze.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This is the latest using speculation to link biology with politics. The last one was "are atheists left brained" thread.
Both are provocative firstly because they are insulting, secondly because they encourage stereo-typical thinking, and thirdly the lack of evidence they have to make a case beyond political propaganda.

Both also brush over how (most) (normal-healthy) people are the products of their thoughts first and foremost.

I hate the silencing-debating techniques of political correctness through sociological pressure too; and much of what this thread says is applicable to it.
I'd say people who harbour it's thinking (as opposed to thoughts) are generally insecure, and by being insecure are attracted to the certainty totalitarian-arrogant thinking provides.

That’s just my take on it.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I'm really perplexed as to how intelligent people who read conspiracy boards can be so completely lost in this false left/right paradigm.

It is a construct for christs sake! Created by people who do not have our best interests at heart. It's purpose is to divide people and keep them bickering amongst each other.

I know it can be very gratifying to belittle people who you don't agree with and portray them as retarded or whatever but it's not helping the current state of affairs!

I think most people on here agree that these are very troubling times and yet people continue on with this partisan bs.

I think it's time people take a good hard look at themselves and decide on whether they want to be a part of the problem or part of the solution.

Ok... rant over. This just makes me really sad

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by GenRadek

Thanks again. My parents raised me right as well. They didnt let me have everything I wanted and when I threw a tantrum to get what I want they yanked me off the ground and blistered my little behind. I am pretty sure there is a common sense button in our butts that makes us wiser everytime somebody smacks it hard enough.

Unfortunately liberals dont believe in discipline beyond a time out or a little discussion (and we all know how much punishment discussing anything with a liberal can be, can you say child abuse). So they are just breeding more spoiled, self entitled people that will continue to vote for the agenda until we are all just short of communism.

God forbid anyone try to explain some sense to them. Your disucssion of gun control is a prime example. They dont like guns so nobody should have them. We should all die at the hands of the home invader or the government gone awry, because they dont want anyone to get hurt or they will whine until we are all suicidal.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

Well your whole post goes to prove my point. We cant even discuss the concept without people thinking they are being ridiculed or that we are being insensitive. It is just like a 2 year old who hold their hands over their ears and goes lalalala when you try to tell them that they cannot do a certain thing. Liberals cant stand to hear that they may be wrong or that they are infringing on the rest of us by expecting us to share the wealth, or give up our guns, or pay for every loosers children who cant keep their legs shut on a date.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MrVertigo

Well until we get more parties to vote on we need to point out the insanity of liberal thinking which will eventually bankrupt the country. Both sides are not the same, and so we must point out the disorders of the other side so people dont fall into the trap of thinking they can have everything they want without working to get it.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I see that nobody has even tried to refute the idea that they could be developmentally delayed so is it fair to assume that we are all in agreement?

If this is true, then we have basically put the fate of the country into the hands of a bunch of toddlers. Actually, this would explain a great deal about the current state of the nation.

The current administration and congress are at WalMart with their parents credit card buying up all the toys.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude
reply to post by MrVertigo

Well until we get more parties to vote on we need to point out the insanity of liberal thinking which will eventually bankrupt the country. Both sides are not the same, and so we must point out the disorders of the other side so people dont fall into the trap of thinking they can have everything they want without working to get it.

I agree George Bush and other conservative are bankrupting the country -

good on you

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join