It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Fight Against Cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

New Fight Against Cancer

health.yahoo.com

The approach is called a cancer vaccine, although it treats the disease rather than prevents it.

At a cancer conference Sunday, researchers said one such vaccine kept a common form of lymphoma from worsening for more than a year.

Experimental vaccines against three other cancers — prostate, the deadly skin disease melanoma and an often fatal childhood tumor called neuroblastoma — also gave positive results in late-stage testing in recent weeks, after decades of struggles in the lab.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I think this is an awesome breakthough for cancer. My grandma died from cancer when I was only a baby so it definetly touches home.

Before reading this article I hadnt known alot about cancer itself, like the reason the body doesnt attack and kill it is because the immune system cant recognize it from because it comes from our own cells.

Therefore, the immune system has trouble distinguishing the normal cells from the cancer cells.

What does everyone think?

health.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I cant believe this isnt getting responses. This is pretty big news.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

Agree, I think this is very exciting news, if it turns out to be as effective as the release indicates.

There's just that....... you know, little worrying voice in the back of my head that says, "uhhh-ohhhh not another [shudder] vaccine. Please let it not be made by Baxter...."

From your link:

Doctors unconnected with these experiments are cautiously optimistic
That seems really hopeful to me, and the methodology of FINally being able to cause the immune system to be able to differentiate between normal cells and cancerous ones...... wonderful!

Seems like this same sort of biotechnology might well bode well for HIV suffers as well.

Thanks for sharing this, Jess.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined
I cant believe this isnt getting responses. This is pretty big news.

You are right, but I think the populace has seen so many "breakthroughs" go undeveloped, that we ignore them until a commercial hits the TV set.

Several Universities are in lawsuits now, because the people doing the research and the University that owns the research can't decide which ones will get developed. Univ. of Missouri is in a big one, because the University decided not to pursue a patent and development resulting from someone's work, the professor pursued it on his own and made it successful, now the university wants the money and the rights.

Sadly, a very small percentage of these breakthroughs are profitable to the people that own them, so we never see the benefits to the public. It only makes it into use if someone can profit from it!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Star and flag, this is great news.

As would be obtaining the phone number of the girl in your avatar, very cute if I may be so bold

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I agree it is very exciting, and this would also have potential for an HIV vaccine in years to come which is also super news.

I actually had a discussion today about cancer and how it can occur and if we can manipulate DNA somehow, we could create a veritable cancer vaccine by preventing mutations in oncogenes but that is far away and may require nanotechnology.

I find it interesting that bonded cancer tags to a shellfish protein. Perhaps, to see greater results, they could use multiple forms of foreign proteins and tag them as well to condition an immune response in children which would essentially be a vaccine. The only problem would be if those proteins managed to come into contact with you throughout your life, say from a job or something. You wouldn't feel so hot all the time and your immune system could be diverted from a more serious threat.

Still, very promising, still needs work. Hope to see more stuff like this.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I would be very weary of this new vaccine. Cancer is a fickle thing, and if you read the article it passively dismisses other forms of treatment used today:

"First there was surgery, then chemotherapy and radiation. Now, doctors have overcome 30 years of false starts and found success with a fourth way to fight cancer"

My impression of that statement, is that scientists and doctors are admitting chemotherapy is not a decent treatment to use against cancer, and they've just been using it until they find the next big cancer drug to push on people.

If anyone read the case about the Minnesota boy with cancer, you can put two and two together and see this doesn't quite add up. That boy was forced into chemotherapy because alternative treatments are not recognized or reccommended 100% by doctors, they prefer chemotherapy. Now they're quietly throwing chemotherapy out the window. I know this is a very early stage of development for the vaccine, and everything right now is a conclusion my part. I still think this is very fishy and the public should be aware.

There are quite a few drug and vaccines scientists come up with that I don't trust. This is one of them. The article says: "I don't know what we did differently to make the breakthrough," said Dr. Len Lichtenfeld of the American Cancer Society.

How do you not know? Especially since it is momentarily helping multiple forms of cancer. Tons of research, and they completely dumb it down by saying, "Well, we don't know how it happened." I don't buy it, not for a second. I wish I could be excited like everyone else, but instead I'm scratching my head and wondering what is really going on here. Without explaining too much of my beliefs about medicine, it just seems like they knew all along what the cause was and how to fix it. A simple answer to the "why" I am sure I will receive, I believe it's because the government wants us sick.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Why thank you! =]

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I know what you mean. It seems like there always coming out with new vaccines to push on people these days, which usually turn out to do more harm on you than good.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I know what you mean. It seems like there always coming out with new vaccines to push on people these days, which usually turn out to do more harm on you than good.

top topics

join