It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left Out of D-Day Events, Queen Elizabeth Is Fuming

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Left Out of D-Day Events, Queen Elizabeth Is Fuming

www.nytimes.com

By JOHN F. BURNS
Published: May 27, 2009
LONDON — Queen Elizabeth is not amused.

Indeed, she is decidedly displeased, angry even, that she was not invited to join President Obama and France’s president, Nicolas Sarkozy, next week at commemorations of the 65th anniversary of the D-Day landings in Normandy, according to reports published in Britain’s mass-circulation tabloid newspapers on Wednesday. Pointedly, Buckingham Palace did not deny the reports.

The queen, who is 83, is the only living head of state who served in uniform during World War II. As Elizabeth Windsor, service
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I am sitting here imagining the poor dear old Queen singing R-E-S-P-E-C-T that is what it means to me.

Maybe if the old dear shook it just a little bit one time. It would seem to me President Obama is bearing no malice whatsoever for the imprisonment and torture of his paternal Grandfather in Africa by the British Empire.

DVD’s for Brown’s first visit to the White House, not the poor Queen can’t even get an invite for a celebration and commemoration of a War she served in.

Oh well, I hope the solid gold Wii that Japan sent her last week is some small consolation during such frustrating times.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   

How the queen came to be excluded has become entangled in a thicket of diplomatic missteps, or misunderstandings, depending on whether the account is given in London or Paris. The French have said officially that they regard the commemorations in the American sector of the landings as “primarily a Franco-American ceremony,” and that it was up to the British to decide who should represent Britain — in other words, that Mr. Brown was at fault for not seeking an invitation for the queen.

See this is not about Michelle not wanting another hug from the Queen! Not even Sarkozy wanting to be the next Napoleon. No doubt he's a bit miffed over Waterloo, but hey aren't we all still?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

How the queen came to be excluded has become entangled in a thicket of diplomatic missteps, or misunderstandings, depending on whether the account is given in London or Paris. The French have said officially that they regard the commemorations in the American sector of the landings as “primarily a Franco-American ceremony,” and that it was up to the British to decide who should represent Britain — in other words, that Mr. Brown was at fault for not seeking an invitation for the queen.

See this is not about Michelle not wanting another hug from the Queen! Not even Sarkozy wanting to be the next Napoleon. No doubt he's a bit miffed over Waterloo, but hey aren't we all still?

To out-Pompus the Brits is what is really chapping her old hide.
She wanted that and bad..

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
It just said on the news buckingham palace released a statement saying she would not be attending...is this the same news? it was just breaking so im not sure..

[edit on 28-5-2009 by Solomons]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by imd12c4funn

To out-Pompus the Brits is what is really chapping her old hide.
She wanted that and bad..

Every dog has it's day. Poor dear. Well, I guess even the Queen has some adjustments to make in the New World Order.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
It just said on the news buckingham palace released a statement saying she would not be attending...is this the same news? it was just breaking so im not sure..

This article is from yesterday, so I am guessing know that someone has invited her belatedly she now long wishes to attend!

Talk about egos huh my friend?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

The French have said officially that they regard the commemorations in the American sector of the landings as “primarily a Franco-American ceremony,”

You ungrateful French bastards. Honestly, this really riles me. Yeah, the UK did NOTHING for France during WWII. Not a damn thing. It's not like the UK took the most casualties in the actual invasion of Normandy, either, did they?

I swear, next time we should just let them be to learn the Horst Wessel Song in peace, and enjoy the rule of their new German overlords.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

This article is from yesterday, so I am guessing know that someone has invited her belatedly she now long wishes to attend!

Ego?

A paper runs an article that says she is upset at not getting an invite. The next day she gets an invite.

Would you accept a pity invite? Its disrespectful.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

I think they are doing that already now aren't they? The French and Germans lock step on the economy?

Maybe this has something to do with the Lisbon Agreement?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Of course I would! I am on ATS all the time. Obviously I don't get out much.

I volunteer to go in her place?
Ego?

A paper runs an article that says she is upset at not getting an invite. The next day she gets an invite.

Would you accept a pity invite? Its disrespectful.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
France needs to realize that they stopped being important somewhere around 1815 if not even earlier in 1763. They have since been eclipsed by the UK, Germany (their arch enemy) and more recently by the US. They are nothing but a bunch of has beens who think that the world revolves around them even though they are in reality a 2nd rate power if even that.

De Gaulle aka Le Gran Charles is a prime example of this mentality.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
France needs to realize that they stopped being important somewhere around 1815 if not even earlier in 1763. They have since been eclipsed by the UK, Germany (their arch enemy) and more recently by the US. They are nothing but a bunch of has beens who think that the world revolves around them even though they are in reality a 2nd rate power if even that.

De Gaulle aka Le Gran Charles is a prime example of this mentality.

Could I have some freedom fries with that burger please?

The French sure do have a way of making themselves loved don't they?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Act like an arrogant wanker and you'll be treated like an arrogant wanker, I suppose.

Oh well, we can always take solace in Paris Syndrome.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I couldn't imagine anyone more full of themselves than a "queen".

What does she do besides gripe and moan about the way shes being treated or looked over during events like this....

Who really wants to save the queen anymore?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

still miffed!? I'm still paying that war off apparently, through my income tax!! I'm fuming!

I think Mr Brown, or should I say Mein Fuhrer, is stepping above his station. Not being funny here, but say I was PM and I was asked to attend this D-day commemoration, THE first thing that I would do, is offer the Queen my place, afterall, she was there! Ignoring the fact that she is the head of state and not the PM.

That must've left a sour taste, lol.

EMM

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AceOfAces

Originally posted by AceOfAces
I couldn't imagine anyone more full of themselves than a "queen".

Why? She didn’t choose the role. Why would you think she is any more full of herself than anyone else?

What does she do besides gripe and moan about the way shes being treated or looked over during events like this....

Pertinent to this thread would be her service in the WATS during WW2. Her current day to day duties are that of any non executive head of state.

Who really wants to save the queen anymore?

Me and the majority of Brits according to most informal polls.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Sorry, is she a more embarassing head of state than Bush was? Or Sarkosy "the Playboy"? Do you think President Brown would be more respectable, and more fitting to pledge your alleigance to?

Seriously, think about what you say because the other options are far far worse, IMO.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth

Sorry, is she a more embarassing head of state than Bush was? Or Sarkosy "the Playboy"? Do you think President Brown would be more respectable, and more fitting to pledge your alleigance to?

Seriously, think about what you say because the other options are far far worse, IMO.

I feel sorry for the Queen. I can just hear her singing "It's my party and I can cry if I want too!"

They should have invited the old gal, it's good to get out of the castle and see the world!

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectroMagnetic Multivers

still miffed!? I'm still paying that war off apparently, through my income tax!! I'm fuming!

I think Mr Brown, or should I say Mein Fuhrer, is stepping above his station. Not being funny here, but say I was PM and I was asked to attend this D-day commemoration, THE first thing that I would do, is offer the Queen my place, afterall, she was there! Ignoring the fact that she is the head of state and not the PM.

That must've left a sour taste, lol.

EMM

It does seem a terrible breach of protocol. It's a shame...

Maybe Brown and Sarkozy have some important New World Order talk and speaches to give at the photo ops?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join