It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama says US prisons tough enough for detainees

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Obama says US prisons tough enough for detainees

www.google.com

President Barack Obama defended his decision to close the Guantanamo prison camp on Thursday and promised to work with Congress to develop a system for imprisoning detainees who can't be tried and can't be turned loose.

Obama conceded that some would end up in U.S. prisons and insisted those facilities were tough enough to house even the most dangerous inmates.

"There are no neat or easy answers here," Obama said in a speech in which he pledged anew to "clean up the mess at Guantanamo." Speaking at the National Archives, Obama said he wouldn't do anything to endanger the American
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
So, even though President Obama is at least keeping one promise, to close down Gitmo, he says these detainees will be put in regular prisons, and that they are tough enough for them.

This is the best place for these men to recruit more into their cause, and have more converts into Islamic extremism, and the administration knows this, or they should know it.

As the artile states, President Obama says he will work with Congress to "develop a system for imprisoning detainees who can't be tried and can't be turned loose."

So according to President Obama's own statements these men can't be tried, and can't be let loose, so they will put them in regular prisons so they can recruit more people into Islamic extremism?....

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-5-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
our prisons are where islam is spread like wildfire... criminals really seem to be receptive to the demands of allah and his prophet.

they have much in common.

you know, like these fine fellow americans:

hey kids, its time to play 'guess the religion!'

everyone knows that prisons are nothing more than universities for criminals, they come out with advanced knowledge and skills to be better at what they do.

this is of course, the product of compasionate, liberal intervention into the prison system.

be sure to thank the next hippy you see.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
The fact that enemy combatants/detainees are going to be transferred to regular prisons is political news?

How is this a political news?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
i would have thought that people in our prisons would just gang rape them till they died. that would be the first 45 minutes they are there.

why does everyone think they will become voices of conversion?

most people i talk to hold the same belief i do, but having them become a threat by becoming the "boss" of a criminal terrorist group from within wasnt one of them.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I'm surprised nobody caught the fact that he is going to continue to hold certain individuals even though they can't be tried and can't be turned loose.

Didn't people call Bush a war criminal for doing this? Obama is letting us in on his game plan, low and behold, its the same game plan we have been using.

Why are people not jumping all over Obama, the best I see is that some wish they had their vote back.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I'm sure the prisoners from Gitmo will not be allowed in the general population with the other US citizens.

They wouldn't last a week in general population.

They would probably even be held in solitary confinement.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The fact that we have John Allen Muhammad (beltway sniper), John Walker (American Taliban) Lind, Jose Padilla, Zacharias Moussoui (spelling is wrong there) on U.S. soil already should make this whole kerfluffel mute. I don't see what the issues is. We aren't gonna put these dudes in half-way houses with ankle collars so they can work at Sam's club. These guys will be put into rooms and the rooms will be thrown away. And as Keyhole pointed out if they were put in general population they would be devoured, maybe literally!

Besides we have FAR scary people in the Supermax prision systems that are on our soil. I don't see anyone streaking their undies over them.

Obs out

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Just put them in CA Supermax... RACE baby - RACE... They will all be lit up and gutted
in weeks,,, they will wish they had GITMO

Its not all candy corns - BMF, AB, MA will NOT allow anyone in their race to talk to Arabs

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by observer
Besides we have FAR scary people in the Supermax prision systems that are on our soil. I don't see anyone streaking their undies over them.

Obs out

Just out of curiosity, why do you attempt to claim that I, and anyone else are some sort of cowards because we see as a problem that terrorists will be put in regular prisons?...

You have no idea who I am, and what I have done in my life.

Keep these "tough guy" idiotic comments to yourself, or to whatever bar you go to get drunk, because they do not belong in this, or any other discussion.

Normally the people, such as yourself, who try to belittle others like you tried for their opinions are the biggest sissies in the world.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator

Just put them in CA Supermax... RACE baby - RACE... They will all be lit up and gutted
in weeks,,, they will wish they had GITMO

Its not all candy corns - BMF, AB, MA will NOT allow anyone in their race to talk to Arabs

You know this is not going to happen. If one of these prisoners dies, or is halfbeaten to death it will be in the news faster than you can blink.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Observer is right though. A super max isn't a regular prison. Its 23 1/2 of lockdown. They never interact with other inmates. There are people in these places that would make Bin Laden look like the friendly neighborhood ice cream truck driver.

They haven't hurt anybody yet.

Your whole "you don't know me or know what I have done" thing is common for the new guys. Doesn't make it anyless pathetic though. If you would take a breath you would realise that Observer was making a joke with the whole skivy comment.

You're the one making the tough guy idiotic posts.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DohBama
our prisons are where islam is spread like wildfire... criminals really seem to be receptive to the demands of allah and his prophet.

Hi there,

I would like some sources for this claim.

they have much in common.

you know, like these fine fellow americans:

hey kids, its time to play 'guess the religion!'

So you read one article ( about their alleged faith and their alleged terrorist plot) and US prisons are breeding grounds for 'extremism'?

everyone knows that prisons are nothing more than universities for criminals, they come out with advanced knowledge and skills to be better at what they do.

In the absence of having anything else to do ( not much funds left for education in the 'system') people will talk and exchange ideas. Perhaps if we spent some money to educate them they might have alternatives when they leave prison and not just return there, in the near future, at great cost to the rest of us?

this is of course, the product of compasionate, liberal intervention into the prison system.

Actually when 'liberals' ( progressives) still had a bit of say, some interest to try a little bit of money got spent on trying to trying to reform these men but with budget cuts and the massive expansion of the prison system money for 'education' is being spent on building more cells. To blame the either party is ridiculous but what is even more so is the claim that the US prison system is 'compassionate' and does much anything to prevent inmates from becoming institutionalized. As if terrorizing them or treating them worse than they are is going increase the chances of them coming out of jail with enough self respect and willpower to try a alternative path of survival.

be sure to thank the next hippy you see.

Wont do that but i will make sure to thank the various governments ( Clinton included) for perpetuating all economic and social policies that are creating this booming prison population. Funnily China is called a police state but if one compares the numbers China locks up less than one in a thousands where the US locks up more than one in a hundred. So stop blaming the 'liberals' when by that logic the Chinese have a society that is ten times more 'liberal' than the USA.

Bah.

Stellar

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Housing these men in Federal Prisons is really no big deal. There are already plenty of "terrorist" types in there already and the regular population has very little regard for them. While Islam is very prevalent among black inmates, the brand of Islam practiced by these men is very different from the Jihad mentality of your "typical" detainee!

As stated, segregation is the key in Super Max facilities! Believe me when I tell you this, they can easily keep these guys isolated! As mentioned by others, in SHU facilities you are locked in 23 hours a day, and get 3 showers a week and a half hour of time in a cage outside for air! There is no general population in SHU's, no yard, no television, no game rooms, no nothing but a cell!

It makes far more sense to house these people in our present system than to spend ridiculous amounts of money for new prisons for them. I know a few people doing time in Federal Prison and those types are shunned in the regular Max facilities where some movement is allowed. None of these felons wants to be tied to anything like terrorism, believe me when I tell you this. I know several guys that used to have a casual affiliation with the Muslim Imams and have since had all that removed from their files, just for this reason.

One more thought, why should we build nice new shiny facilities for these people? Let them sit in the old and decrepit prisons regular felons are doing their time in. NO special anything for them, nothing at all!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Woah now. Chill out. My comments weren't directed at you or anyone else in the thread.
This whole idea that politicians are killing this because of a bad case of NIMBY is silly. I was just pointing out that we already some pretty scary people in our prisons so I dont' see why we should be terribly afraid of these prisoners.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by observer]

top topics

join