It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher Banned for 'Touching Boys Arm'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Teacher Banned for 'Touching Boys Arm'

www.dailyexpress.co.uk

A TEACHER with 50 years’ experience has told of her devastation after being banned from her school over claims she assaulted a pupil.

Thelma Hoskins, 67, said she simply put her hand on the nine-year-old boy’s arm after telling him off in class for disrupting a lesson.

A parent made a complaint and she was ordered to stay away from St Winefride’s Catholic Primary School in Bradford, West Yorkshire.
"I had him out in the front and told him: ‘Do you know you are doing wrong? Shut up and listen.’

“Later a parent made a complaint to the head. Mrs Cairns and I spoke to the
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-5-2009 by silo13]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Admittedly *this day in age* we’re hearing more and more female teachers molesting their young students.

But to *ban* a teacher with 50 years teaching experience? For telling this little out of control student to *shut up* while resting a hand on his arm?

Are there really parents out there who’d find this offensive?

In my opinion schools should still have corporeal punishment, meted out in front of the class.

Noting like a good *whack* on the hinder from a teachers paddle to smarten up your wise arse attitude.

Beyond that I have a great deal of empathy for this teacher - after 50 years of service she has to deal with this.

And though her teaching career is nearing it’s end, you know this will follow her throughout the rest of whatever years she continues to teach.

peace

www.dailyexpress.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Some times a parent needs to shut up and let the teachers discipline their students.

I remember talking during nap time in kindergarten and the teacher came up behind me and swatted my butt with a paddle without so much as a warning. I didn't even know it was coming. I told my mom and she whipped me for acting out.

We need to bring that kind of discipline back.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I'd disagree on most terms, but the teacher has 50 years experience behind her. I don't doubt her in the least bit. May seem ignorant, but c'mon 50 years, you know whats right and wrong, and don't cross it, especially after seeing others havin already crossed it.

I doubt she was even working for money but for the sole inspiration of teaching children. Yet no good deed goes unpunished.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08 Yet no good deed goes unpunished.

Ha isn't that the truth. The sad truth, but the truth nonetheless

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
When I was in middle school, a teacher threw a folder at a boy's head after he smarted off to him. He ducked and it hit a girl in the forehead that sat behind him. She had a cut and a bruise from it. Almost everyone thought it was funny. I thought it was awful! He didn't even get reprimanded.

I do not agree with teachers abusing their power in any way, but it sounds like this woman didn't do anything really wrong. She didn't hurt the kid. I don't understand the world today.

Kids used to have a lot more respect for their elders.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I think this is silly. The world is getting way to overboard with this Political Correctness garbage. I suppose someday we will be judged just by looking someone in the eyes, we might be had up for sexual harassment.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Whenever I see a completely over the top news story like this I always know its going to be in the UK.
And I am right only 95% of the time.

The UK (where I live) is the most P.C, eggshell stepping, poncey do gooding, wishy washy, creep up the backside of every ethnic group or the favourite word 'minority' whilest inventing new ways to further make special arrangements, rules, guidelines and laws to make us go further and further down the toilet.

If your not a female black muslim midget lesbian in wheelchair your nothing.
What a craphole country I live in, I wish I could get out of this dump, sadly being a stupid white man who doesnt have special priority I dont have a job that means I am eligible for joining the rest of the sensible ex-pat's that move to Australia or somewhere that still has some credible image.

I darent even read the article but I'm going to take a hazzard guess and say it was a black pupil or a muslim and the teacher was white.
Yes it happens with white kids too with their thick parents looking for any excuse to complain and cause a fuss but from experience of seeing these type of events I will guess at it not being a white kid and guarantee 100% certainty it was white teacher.

Yes I have a bee in my bonnet about reverse discrimination, I was all for equallity until it turned into greed and a very unfair tip of the scales.
Turning the country my Grandfathers fought to protect from invasion and keep Britain Britain into the pathetic hostel of the world, They died refusing medals and embarrassed of this cesspool.
I wouldnt defend this country in a war and I guarantee theres a huge portion of people here that agree.
I just hope my friend in Australia can get me sponsored and work and then its trying to convince my wife because all her family is here (mine too but we arent that close).

Anyways, just checked the link, Bradford council, well that place is a prime example of new Britain.

Now I expect the claims I am BNP or KKK or something else to avoid the facts.
In fact you may aswell take the pee and play the minority cards because you must be having a ball.
I dont need anyone nor any statistics to tell me what I can see and hear going on around me for the last 20 years as it got worse and worse.
What a sh£$%hole.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by keepithush]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Unfortunately in a "I can sue you!" culture its not really about being offended its more about possibly making some quick cash, or even worse getting your fickle five minutes of fame on the local news channel.

My dads a technical teacher and has been teaching for the last 30 years plus in high schools and intermediates in my country and is probably gonna retire in the next year due to the school hes working at being closed down at the end of the year.

Given some of the absolute nightmare scenarios ive heard him talk about over the dinner table in my 30 years of life, its things like this that are driving teachers as well as new teachers away from the profession. Heck your not even allowed to really give the kid a good verbal thrashing for being stupid and endangering other pupils lives (being a son of a technical teacher hearing stories about kids loosing fingers and waving chisels around industrial lathes like its perfectly safe is normal... do kids actually learn anything from their early childhood these days about fear for safety?.. heck even girls ignoring verbal warnings about wearing their hair loose while using drill presses, in the old days you could give em a cuff or pull em away from the drill and give em an ear full... not any more for the most part)

Its almost impossible to be a teacher these days, youve got little idiots who think their god on earth, parents that think the teachers a drone or whos job is to play surrogate parent, principals more interested in business models than education and PC laws that stop the little jerks from learning actual social manners and skills from fear of being verbally berated about rude behavior or potential lethal and idiotic decisions.

A societies future is largely determined by its educational faculties and unfortunately the wardens been locked up and the nutters have taken over the asylum, and the prison guards cant do anything they should be.

I swear it insane outside the front door
and these kids are gonna be in positions of power in a decade... at least most seem to learn what they should have from school once they get into the real world.

To sum up my rant (sorry about that) my dad used to love teaching, but in the last 5 years he's openly mentioned on alot of occasions hes glad hes near the end... I pitty the future teachers and what they will have to endure, but given the only new teachers will be ones either forced into the profession or ones just trying to make do the profession as a whole will spiral downward and self implode eventually.

Which is abhorrent considering teachers along with a few other professions like doctors should be the pinnacle of a society.

Sure dont bring back the cane, but for heavens sake take the restraints from around the teachers hands and give them back some power.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

HAHA I wouldnt mind this either, in principal at least, for a form of physical punishment in schools. Maybe we wouldnt have all these whacked out kids like we have today if we still did this. Although the problem then would be making sure teachers don't take it too far.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by keepithush

I darent even read the article but I'm going to take a hazzard guess and say it was a black pupil or a muslim and the teacher was white.
Yes it happens with white kids too with their thick parents looking for any excuse to complain and cause a fuss but from experience of seeing these type of events I will guess at it not being a white kid and guarantee 100% certainty it was white teacher.

The article didn't say - and honestly - I didn't want to find out - I was sputtering in my coffee as it was...

If you can get out while you still can... I think you know what I mean...

peace

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   

"I had him out in the front and told him: ‘Do you know you are doing wrong? Shut up and listen."

I don't know this ins-and-outs of the story but this is an antiquated and draconian fashion of teaching and must be changed.

She has a 9 year old boy, Primary 4 in the UK, out in front of the class being humiliated by being told to "Shut up" and had physical contact with him.

She's 67 with 50 years of experience - in my book that made her 17 when she became a teacher. Allowing her 28 years of corporal punishment in an untrained post. There are plenty of injuries from the 50's through to the 80's related to beatings from teachers at school to show that it was common practise here. She may have a reputation amongst parents there - she may even have taught a few.

I'm sure she's as sweet as pie, and the kid is a rascal, and I know for sure the restrictions placed upon an educator - especially when disciplining but public humiliation and physical contact is not progressive teaching and it has no place in a classroom regardless of circumstances.

-m0r

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
This is just ridiculous...

That's all I need to say but I'll go on. It's stupid and wrong she gets banned for this. Political Correctness is a stain on our culture.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Ive known teachers who would call a student out of a classroom, and have the teacher return with a emotional face, and a student called out crying coming back in.

Only to have the student respect everything in the classroom and stop f-in around during the teaching lesson.

You are there to learn, not to mess around. 9 or not, You know how your acting no excuses no Riddlen.

I knew everything and have memory from 5 or a little younger, I suspect others do too.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
If the children are our future, sadly it is looking pretty bleak. I see kids get away with murder all the time, and if anyone tries to say anything or teach them what they are doing is wrong it's abuse! We need some serious change in our schools soon or we are going to be in trouble down the line, It seems as if teachers can't control the students because of all the politically correct rules so they just give them drugs like Ritalin. I remember not to long ago they sent a letter home saying they wanted to give my nephew ADD medication when we asked him about it he said he was bored because they were counting to 20 when he can already count to over 100

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ

I swear it insane outside the front door
and these kids are gonna be in positions of power in a decade... at least most seem to learn what they should have from school once they get into the real world.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

You know what is odd, is that the your parents generation said that about you and their parents generation said that about them. Now here we are saying it about this next generation....

In other words, it is not the kids that have changed..... It is us.

That said, I think it is completly insane and assanine that this teacher got in trouble for this, assuming the story is true and she did only touch the kids arm. We do only get one side of the story here.

I would venture to guess that the complain from the parents was more about the "sit down and shut up" the kid recieved. I never had a problem with that phrase though, Harsh, direct and to the point and it works.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 18-5-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   

It depends on the circumstance. Maybe the child's actions didn't warrant that reaction. Who knows, this woman could have been a horrible teacher who had several complaints against her. Just because she's been around a while doesn't mean a thing. Here in Cali they couldn't even get rid of a public school teacher who had picked on a kid for not attempting suicide the "right way".(www.latimes.com...)

This was a catholic school so it was private? Maybe it's easier to fire teachers from private school. Don't know.

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

A star to you from me.

I'm not against discipline, in fact I think kids thirst for it. I do think though that there are methods to enforce discipline that minimise the potential for further disruption which don't require public flogging.

As you said, a teacher can talk to a child in the corridor and, from my experience, calmly resolve any issues whilst instilling a leader/subordinate mentality which will prevail until those boundaries have to be readdressed.

In the words of one pack leader: "Exercise, discipline, affection - in that order".

Burn off their energy, establish the pecking order, praise them for being a stable group.

Works all the way from Beaver scouts to the workforce.

Practising teaching methods with this type of group dynamic (knowledge + understanding, problem solving and situational learning - such as role-play, practical techniques and debate) allows for sharing of understanding, empathy and practise at leadership/following orders.

Hopefully after that a 'well-balanced' individual can challenge your leadership and win through rationale.

That is the end goal of a teacher in my opinion, to be overtook by their students.

-m0r

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

In other words, it is not the kids that have changed..... It is us.

I see your point but sadly I can’t agree.
Meaning I wish I could.
It would be great if kids were the same, but, they’re not.

I don’t know one kid when I was growing up that would act out like I see kids act out in public.
Scream at the top of their lungs the *F* word at their parents for not buying them video games (not Turrets Syndrome either).
Act like all around little pukes.
Hitting their parents.
Having no regard for their siblings.
Not bothering to stand up for the elderly on a bus or a bench.
Total lack of self respect and respect for others and the belongings of others.
No respect for Teacher.
Etc...

I think kids have changed tons.

The reasons?

Well that could take days and many more posts... And it’s a crying shame.

If I had to put my finger on one reason?

The breakdown of the family - economic changes where parents had to work, it wasn’t an option for one to stay at home with the kids...

But again that might be getting a wee bit off track...

Hard to say...

posted on May, 18 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
That's odd that a Catholic school would have such strict policies on punishing a child. The few friends I had that went to Catholic school always whined about getting punished by paddling or even the old ruler to the palm. Even when our public schools banned corporal punishment, Catholic schools still allowed it!

My parents rules where if you got in trouble at school, you got in trouble at home. And I can promise you, if I got a paddling at school, I would get one when I got home! It wouldn't matter what excuse I had, the teachers word was always excepted over mine. And for people that don't believe in this type of punishment, I can tell you I walked a very straight line growing up. And as a young adult, I am thankful for my strict raising as it taught me respect, honor, and strong work ethics.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join