It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Third Bar? Stars to Post Ratio...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Might be kinda cool to have a third bar. And since now that there is already a tally of stars, would be neat to make a third bar for mini profiles which would be the same formula as the applause bar, but instead would be based on a member's number of stars received from other members versus their number of posts- expressed as a ratio with a color, if that is the case- with the exact same color scheme as the applause bar.

The applause bar is a measure of staff "rewards" to a member so to speak.

The "Star Bar" would be a measure of the ATS community "rewards" to a member.

It would be very interesting to see the differences. Much like on Gamespot they have a staff reviewer rating and a separate user rating for games, so that people can see both measures. They are almost always different.

It would need to be modified obviously in that say, 20 member stars or whatever= 1 applause, for the purposes of the colors.

[edit on Thu May 14th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I've never understood the applause bar, I have seen members have totally different (like purple) color bars with few applauses'. I still don't know how that works.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I believe the color of the bar is based on your Applause-post ratio. AshleyD came up with that theory and it seems to be the most accurate one to date.

I like the suggestion being put forth here of a third bar, but it is open to exploitation. As soon as the first member says to another member, "star mine and I'll star yours" the system is rendered irrelevant, in my opinion.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Okay, thanks.......I guess it is still a big secret,lol.

I agree with the abuse potential( LOL, it is like I am talking about a controlled substance.)of the "star bar".

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I like the suggestion being put forth here of a third bar, but it is open to
exploitation. As soon as the first member says to another member, "star mine and I'll star yours" the system is rendered irrelevant, in my opinion.

Well the solution to that would seem pretty straight forward. Simply limit the amount of total stars a member could give out a month, or per day. I dunno I probably star what, 30 posts a month, maybe 50? Hard to say.

Another way along those lines, and so that it more closely matches applauses given out, would be to look at how many applauses are given by staff per month on average over say six months, and come up with an average number per month per person. And I know that could be done right from the event list. That exact number would then be the limit of stars allowed per member in a month. But I'd bet that number would be way lower than most members would want to be limited to.

And a question I don't know if I've seen anyone ask yet is:

Why take the approach to shroud the applause bar in mystery in the first place? If anything, it would seem to me everyone should understand this clearly, and the color scheme and methodology should be published in a chart somewhere.

[edit on Fri May 15th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Well the solution to that would seem pretty straight forward. Simply limit the amount of total stars a member could give out a month, or per day. I dunno I probably star what, 30 posts a month, maybe 50? Hard to say.

Noooo!!!

Dude, I star 30 posts per hour - on my slow days!!!

Dig, STAR and flag the mutha!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Maybe only a certain number of stars per forum per month? So the more of the site you browse, the more stars you can award.

Just thinking "out loud," because I award a lot of stars, too, but some issues are going to take priority over others if I have to start rationing.

Btw, is there another thread I'm missing on what the "this is a critical mind," "this one is aware," "fine conspiracist," etc. is all about? Or am I jumping somebody's gun?

[edit on 16-5-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
Maybe only a certain number of stars per forum per month? So the more of the site you browse, the more stars you can award.

No! It should be a member's right to star whatever he wants to star, whenever he wants to star it! I refresh most of the 9/11 threads by awarding stars!!! Hahaha!

Starring is great. It's support for opinions and ideas and it's also a telling way to separate the good posts from the junk, when you see a whole line of stars stand out.

Btw, is there another thread I'm missing on what the "this is a critical mind," "this one is aware," "fine conspiracist," etc. is all about? Or am I jumping somebody's gun?

It relates to the number of Applauses you have been awarded. Increments of 20. You need 20 to be 'aware'.

Stars are what members find popular. Applauses are for what Moderators appreciate reading, beyond the normal standards of ATS.

My last post that I was 'Applaused' for receieved no stars, so go figure! We all have different opinions on what we define as quality and junk.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11

[edit on 16-5-2009 by bsbray11]

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join