It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I got a katana, for when there is no ammo.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The other day I was thinking about what the best non-gun weapon would be. After some debate, it came down to the bow, and the sword. I already had a bow, so it was time to get a sword.

I wanted a sword that was practical for defense, and possibly sneak attack. So I got a katana. I got it from budk. It was like 60 bucks. It has a stainless steel blade. (Yeah, I know a real damascus one would chop it in half) But it still makes a pretty good weapon.

You may laugh at my cheap sword purchase but it actually seems to be pretty badass. budk.com...

I chopped the box it came in, in half. LOL

So before you say that your 2500$ sword is better, I am not ever planning on getting in a sword fight. Especially not with someone else that has a katana. If I saw someone with a katana, and I had a katana the first thing I would do is run. That is if they seemed to be hostile toward me. I am thinking more along the lines of killing hoards of zombies, more than getting in a sword fight.

I think that if TSHTF I will bring the sword in addition to a rifle and a pistol. I think I'd rather have the sword than a bow and arrows because it takes up less space. I am fairly certain that I could kill a charging bear with the katana.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Is it really sharp, its stainless steel not folded

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Zombies??? Is this for a game?

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on Fri May 15 2009 by Jbird]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436I am thinking more along the lines of killing hoards of zombies, more than getting in a sword fight.

Heheh, everyone needs a 'Zombie Plan' - glad to see you have a handle on it
(no pun intended!)

It used to make me laugh -- myself and my Uni buddies used to come up with elaborate 'Zombie Plans' which none of our girls at the time could fathom. We, on the other hand, couldn't understand someone without a 'Zombie Plan'

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
cool
i've got a nice collection of new and antique machetes
cuz you just never know when they'll come in handy...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
No reason not to have something really sharp on hand. Just make sure you don't take it to a gunfight...

"zombie" plans are cool. I've had one for years...ever since I watched 'dawn of the dead'...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

I am fairly certain that I could kill a charging bear with the katana.

Did some steroids and novacane come with your katana..?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/79c3641c4f39.jpg[/atsimg]

Ya, right...you and your katana wouldn't do *snip* if this was coming at you.

And BTW - your idea that a katana would be better for zombies makes no sense...you would have to get up close to take them out, making yourself susceptible to 'infection'...

Stick with your bow and arrow...

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Fri May 15 2009 by Jbird]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Build a moat of maggots around your house...they eat dead flesh.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
It's a great idea to get a Katana. You just picked a bad one.

I would honestly reccomend you send that Katana, a stainless steel blade of that size will be of no use to you in a fight.

If you want a good choice get something from Cold Steel. They are mass produced, heavy, and hardly expertly made.. But they are tough enough and sharp enough to withstand a fight (That depends on the opponents weapon. Never lock the edge of the blades!)

If you want something light, and strong enough to slice a human in half.. Get a Shinto Katana from Paul Chen/Hanwei

If you don't want something big, get a wakizashi..

Or if you want to opt for simple and strong, get a Kabar, SOG, Glock, or any other reputable companies combat knife.

I personally have a straight edged Kabar, and a Shinto Katana for my edged weapons.

First rule of thumb when buying swords; Unless it's a hanger, never get stainless. Always get Carbon steel. If it doesn't specify what it's made of. Don't buy it.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by Miraj]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
katana is great for open spaces, but hard to use indoors.
also get some lessons! real (folded) damascus blades are insanely sharp!!!

remember knocking yourself in the head with nunchaka when you were a kid?

[edit on 5/13/2009 by zooplancton]

[edit on 5/13/2009 by zooplancton]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme

Originally posted by downtown436I am thinking more along the lines of killing hoards of zombies, more than getting in a sword fight.

Heheh, everyone needs a 'Zombie Plan' - glad to see you have a handle on it
(no pun intended!)

It used to make me laugh -- myself and my Uni buddies used to come up with elaborate 'Zombie Plans' which none of our girls at the time could fathom. We, on the other hand, couldn't understand someone without a 'Zombie Plan'

If the zombies can infect you, then it would be a VERY bad idea to use a Katana, you do not want to get close to them, too risky, you would really want a gun or some explosives etc. lol

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Blades do not require reloading, sir. And they never jam. Besides, in case of zombies, I personally would go with a hatchet. With a full length sword, you're liable to find yourself in awkward positions when fighting hordes of the undead. Hate to turn zombie over a cramp : /

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
We already got our zombie killing katana-master. He'll show you all the ropes.

Against the Dark Trailer

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
what you need is a Spartan Warrior Sword
budk.com...

you have to sharpen it but when you do it can cut a :6 inch: tree down without a problem. take it from me go get you an accusharp to sharpen it they are about 10 dollers. you can hit what ever you want and not break it trust me.

oh and you might want to put duct tape over the handle it's got some bad whiplash. other then that it's great.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

It pretty dang sharp. It cuts paper like a razor.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
There Star for you. I think I got it. I love Katana's.
2nd line.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellirium113

Well there are situations where you might not be fighting zombies per say, but when people get hungry, they return to an animalistic state. You can get away with calling them zombies.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Yep. I think a situation of "zombies" is unlikely but not 100% out of the question with some of the technology we are dealing with these days.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by chapter29

Bears are smaller in this neck of the woods. Not to say it would be fun to fight a black bear with a katana, it would beat the heck out of a bow with no arrows.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by alienseeker

I actually contemplated that exact sword, but decided on something that was a little more manageable. But if that is your sword of choice go for it. At 20$ a pop what could go wrong? Might as well get one for each hand.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join