It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we interested in these topics?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SgtHX
Ignorance is bliss.
On one occasion one of my friends started talking about how the world is f'd up and we went on to talk about 911.
Well after maybe a couple months I brought that topic up and he said "What?? idk anything about that man? really?", so I said, "ok never mind then."

That's strange for sure.
He was obviously embarrassed he's even spoken about it or perhaps he truly didn't remember because it has no bearing on his life or doesn't interest him?
He was just passing the time so to speak.

Some of this is well known throughout people but they would rather not begin to untangle the web of lies. Its just a big mess. So people seek an escape from this through whatever they like doing.
If the topic comes up I'll go on about it but I've learned that not too many people are open enough for conspiracies.

Definitely.... it does open a whole can of worms and people are happy to just not know....i just don't get it?
Well i do.... but I'm glad, in a way, that I'm not so closed minded, ignorant or uninterested in alternative topics.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

i agree and i think it comes down to critical thinking. im definitely gonna let my kids in on it when they are old enough because i dont want them to do just as you said, watch all the mindless dribble that comes off of the television. its amazing the things you can find out if you stop being told what to think and think for yourself.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
when it comes to the subject matter such as is discussed on this site, i find that people tend to

1) think for themselves and open their eyes
2) be too set in the things they have been told to think and laugh it off or call you crazy even when presented with irrefutable evidence
3) can be shown the truth but refuse to face it for whatever reason

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrainPower
i agree and i think it comes down to critical thinking. im definitely gonna let my kids in on it when they are old enough because i dont want them to do just as you said, watch all the mindless dribble that comes off of the television. its amazing the things you can find out if you stop being told what to think and think for yourself.

Oh definitely....and they will THANK you for it when they're old enough to understand.
And yep.... just reading a book or turning off the TV can do wonders.
Reminds me of this... 33 years old and still as relevant now
:shk:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

when it comes to the subject matter such as is discussed on this site, i find that people tend to
1) think for themselves and open their eyes
2) be too set in the things they have been told to think and laugh it off or call you crazy even when presented with irrefutable evidence
3) can be shown the truth but refuse to face it for whatever reason

Yeah....that's another problem.
People who are not here to learn.
They have their beliefs and nothing you say or do or anyone says or does will make a bit of difference.

I don't get it....I'm here to learn and have my eyes opened and learn new things...

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Oh definitely....and they will THANK you for it when they're old enough to understand.
And yep.... just reading a book or turning off the TV can do wonders.
Reminds me of this... 33 years old and still as relevant now

sorry, whats the youtube link to? i cant access youtube on a DoD network.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

it does get kind of irritating when people are so stubborn that they will stick to their belief system and even more so when you show them that it is fundamentally flawed.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BrainPower

Ahhhh fair enough.... it's the "we're in a lot of trouble" speech from the movie 'network' 1976.

I've tracked down a text version.....took a while, sorry.
What a mission....enjoy

And woe is us, we’re in a lot of trouble. So.a rich little man with white hair died. What has that got to do with the price of rice, right? And why is that woe to us? Because you people and 62 million other Americans are listening to me right now. Because less than three per cent of you people read books. Because less than fifteen per cent of you read newspapers. Because the only truth you know is what you get over this tube. Right now, there is a whole and entire generation that never knew anything that didn’t come out of this tube.This tube is the gospel! The ultimate revelation!This tube can make or break presidents, popes, prime ministers. It is the most awesome goddamn force in the whole godless world. Woe is us if it falls into the hands of the wrong people.
And when the 4 th largest company in the world controls the most awesome goddamn propaganda force in the whole godless word
who knows what sh*t will be peddled for truth on this network

So you listen to me. Listen to me
Televisión is not the truth. Television’s a goddamned amusement park.
Television is a circus, a carnival,
a travelling troupe of acrobats,
storytellers, dancers, singers, jugglers,sideshow freaks, lion tamers
and football players.
We’re in the boredom-killing business
So if you want the truth, go to God. Go to your gurus. Go to yourselves. Because that’s the only place you’re ever going to find any real truth.

But, man, you’re never gonna get any truth from us.
We’ll tell you anything you wanna hear. We lie like hell
We’ll tell you that Kojak always gets the killer,and that nobody ever gets cancer in Archie Bunker’s house.

However much trouble the hero is in, don’t worry. Look at your watch At the end of the hour he’s going to win. We’ll tell you any sh*t you want to hear.

We deal in illusions, man. None of it is true
But you people sit there, day after day, night after night,
all ages, colours, creeds.
We’re all you know. You’re beginning to believe the illusions we’re spinning. You’re beginning to think the tube is reality and your lives are unreal

You do whatever the tube tells you You dress like the tube, eat like the tube, raise your children like the tube, think like the tube.

This is mass madness, you maniacs.

In God’s name, you people are the real thing! We are the illusión!
So turn off your televisión sets.
Turn them off now.

Turn them off right now!
Turn them off and leave them off.

Turn them off right in the middle
of the sentence I’m speaking now.

Turn them off!

Source

[edit on 12/5/09 by blupblup]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

sorry, whats the youtube link to? i cant access youtube on a DoD network.

Sorry....check it out later....but above i tracked down and arranged the text so you can read it instead

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

it does get kind of irritating when people are so stubborn that they will stick to their belief system and even more so when you show them that it is fundamentally flawed.

Yep....that is human nature though huh?

Nobody, or most people, don't want to admit they're wrong.
I guess it's a pride thing?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Nice topic I like it. I get some of the same response to family to. They dont quite belive our beloved goverment is this crooked and corrupt. But more and more actual start listen esp. when I read an article on an alternatve news site, tell them about it and a few weeks (days) later the MSM report it as a blurb and they get freaked. SO keep at it!!

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

WOW, i really appreciate that!! that speech is on point and it quite frankly makes me want to kill my TV

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Yep....that is human nature though huh?

Nobody, or most people, don't want to admit they're wrong.
I guess it's a pride thing?

true and i think if it wasnt for pride, a lot of this worlds problems could be solved. well....pride and greed....but arent those both deadly sins?

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

a lot of people in my family refuse to see the truth too....some will and some just wont. but it does seem that lately, more and more people are opening their eyes.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
Nice topic I like it. I get some of the same response to family to. They dont quite belive our beloved goverment is this crooked and corrupt. But more and more actual start listen esp. when I read an article on an alternatve news site, tell them about it and a few weeks (days) later the MSM report it as a blurb and they get freaked. SO keep at it!!

Oh definitely..... we've seen a rise in stories of corruption and even UFO's for a while not so long ago.
The MSM pick up and report whatever is popular and if it is conspiracy or UFO related.... they usually try and put their spin on it....or ridicule it in a subtlr (or not so subtle) way.

And i shall never be swayed....i tend not to talk to many people about it as i said.... but if asked or if i feel the need.... I'm happy to chat to people about this stuff.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

WOW, i really appreciate that!! that speech is on point and it quite frankly makes me want to kill my TV

If you have a chance....watch that clip later.... the text version just cannot do justice to the way he words it, and the venom he spits.....it is AMAZING.

If you like it let me know,.... i have a link to the film

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

true and i think if it wasnt for pride, a lot of this worlds problems could be solved. well....pride and greed....but arent those both deadly sins?

Yep very true.... add intolerance into the mix, although it's not a deadly sin
, but it's still a prime reason for many problems in the world.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
the recipe i have found that aides me in conversing with folk to whom these ideas may seem radical to is this;

a blend of knowledge (facts), curiousity (exploration), and humour (not taking myself too seriously).

in this way, i am non-too-threatening to those other folk (gramma, my boss, the lady at the checkout at my grocery store,etc....) who may or may not be open to such ideas, and so i can perhaps, sow a few more seeds then if i came out guns-a-blazing.

people instinctually react defensively when someone else is overly confidant and brash in their perspective... no matter how rightous that perspective may be. how will this help the cause, if the cause is seeking truths?

in these sort of cross-cultural dialogues, i try not to make any overt declarative statements ("there ARE aliens and they ARE coming", or "9/11 was CERTAINLY an inside job", etc.) and instead propose the many lingering questions these topics have conjured.

it was those unanswered questions that seduced me into this rabbit hole in the first place, and keep me coming back for more. perhaps those unanswering questions will intrigue someone else.

it all sounds rather diplomatic (and of course there are moments to let one's freek-flag-fly) but it has proved effective enough a policy over the years.

my G'ma (a good catholic) is willing to admit that perhaps God isn't soley a male.

i haven't even brought up the illuminati with her.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

yeah, definitely, ill give it a look see when i get back to my room after i get offa shift!

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
consistently i have found in my life with whoever or what ever is happening that

THE TRUTH HURTS

so often we deny the truth, because we get so deep in the bull sh%$, that to get back to it will only open more and more truths and more hurt...
but we need that, obviously, and then feel better for it and move on...

i am sure we can all find examples of that.

so if what we all like to talk about is the truth and others don't want to hear it , maybe its because it will just open up a whole can of worms for them they don't want to confront...

Pandoras box...isn't it truth that was left inside?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join