It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most profound quotation you have read or heard?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
"There are no mistakes. The events we bring upon ourselves, no matter how unpleasant, are necessary in order to learn what we need to learn."
~Richard Bach

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
"I went into the woods for I wished to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life! To put to rout all that was not life, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
~Henry David Thoreau

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
"Some people are like slinkys, not realy good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." -anon

"live every day as if it was your last, but know that is probably isn't" -Dad

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
"Life is Difficult.
This is a great truth. One of the greatest truths. It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it. Once we truly know that life is difficult-once we truly understand and accept it-then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters."

M. Scott Peck The Road Less Travelled

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
" 'Mother' is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children"

Brandon Lee -- THe film ' The Crow'..

and the most useless .

" I'll pay you back , Honest" -- My brother.

[edit on 12/5/09 by DataWraith]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Deny Ignorance

Sorry I couldn't resist.

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
"The purpose of our lives is to be happy. "

Dalai Lama

.... he goes on to say "From the very core of our being, we desire contentment. In my own limited experience I have found that the more we care for the happiness of others, the greater is our own sense of well-being. Cultivating a close, warmhearted feeling for others automatically puts the mind at ease. It helps remove whatever fears or insecurities we may have and gives us the strength to cope with any obstacles we encounter. It is the principal source of success in life. Since we are not solely material creatures, it is a mistake to place all our hopes for happiness on external development alone. The key is to develop inner peace.

“When you recognize that all beings are equal and like yourself in both their desire for happiness and their right to obtain it, you automatically feel empathy and closeness for them. You develop a feeling of responsibility for others: the wish to help them actively overcome their problems. True compassion is not just an emotional response but a firm commitment founded on reason. Therefore, a truly compassionate attitude towards others does not change even if they behave negatively.

“I believe that we must consciously develop a greater sense of universal responsibility. We must learn to work not just for our own individual self, family or nation, but for the benefit of all mankind. Universal responsibility is the best foundation both for our personal happiness and for world peace, the equitable use of our natural resources, and, through a concern for future generations, the proper care for the environment.”

[edit on 12-5-2009 by sliceNodice]

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
"Man is an artifact designed for space travel, he can no longer remain in his present state anymore than a tadpole can remain a tadpole."

William S. Burroughs

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
"The price of stamps will grow ever higher."

- Homer Simpson

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
'Pain is weakness leaving the body"

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
"To be nobody-but-yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you somebody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."
E.E. Cummings

" It is perfectly possible for a man to be out of prison, and yet not free - to be under no physical constraint and yet to be a psychological captive, compelled to think, feel and act as the representatives of the national state, or of some private interest within the nation, wants him to think, feel and act.

The nature of psychological compulsion is such that those who act under constraint remain under the impression that they are acting on their own initiative. The victim of mind-manipulation does not know that he is a victim. To him the walls of his prison are invisible, and he believes himself to be free. That he is not free is apparent only to other people. His servitude is strictly objective."
Aldous Huxley.

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
Oscar Wilde from De Profundis

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
This is not my favorite quote. It's the quote that angers me beyond description and makes me the type of man I am:

"For more than a century, ideological extremists at
either end of the political spectrum have seized upon
well publicized incidents to attack the Rockefeller family
for the inordinate influence they claim we wield over
American political and economic institutions.

Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working
against the best interests of the United States, charac-
terizing my family and me as "internationalists" and of
conspiring with others around the world to build a more
intergrated global political and economic structure - one
world, if you will.

If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it."

DAVID ROCKEFELLER "MEMOIRS" PAGE 405

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

The more you struggle to live, the less you live. Give up the notion that you must be sure of what you are doing. Instead, surrender to what is real within you, for that alone is sure. As stars high above earth, you are above everything distressing. But you must awaken to it. Wake up!

Source : PhilosophersNotes.com

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood ? - my grandpa

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

That's one of my favorite quotes too! I actually put it on a sign to hang up.

Here's another one I like:

"It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate, it takes guts to be gentle and kind."

-Morrissey, from the song "I know it's over"

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
"... the Frensh don't have a word for 'entrepenure'."
-George W. Bush

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
" Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful " Roman philosopher Seneca the Younger

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter

King James. Proverds 25:2

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
"Talk is cheap when supply exceeds demand."

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
"You see what power is - holding someone else's fear in your hand and showing it to them!"

Amy Tan

posted on May, 12 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
"There are none more helplessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free" - some german philosopher dude.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join