It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Most Dangerous Mission Ever, set for tomorrow 5/11/09- being stranded in space possible

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Yes, and it is being done - and there are pictures, but funny thing about that - is others deny those pictures - I have spent many hours looking at what is out there - some of it is not real - but there are others that are real. So - just denying the real ones - is not looking at what is out there. So look around - there is real evidence - including a vid someone from the South Pole observatory sent out.

Research before just denying - there is compelling information - that says something is out there. Besides scientist have also said (before they were silenced) that something was affecting the sun's magnetic core etc.

this is not a Nibiru thread - but also - just as mentioned - why risk the lives of 7 people besides a space shuttle for a telescope that has already gotten the use from it?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

I concur.
Really if people are that worried about a google sky and co. glitch that they get nonsense ideas in their heads about false planets being hidden, the answer is simple, buy a telescope do a bit of research and look for yourself then report back with that evidence, its not hard, sure it takes more brain power than using a search engine but its rewarding.
The fact is Hubble is one of the best technical achievments that man has made, it delivers with mind boggling results at times. It is a very important machine and it needs a service. I hope in the future they mount another mission designed to make sure it can be returned to earth safely. I

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
reply to post by jfj123

Yes, and it is being done - and there are pictures, but funny thing about that - is others deny those pictures - I have spent many hours looking at what is out there - some of it is not real - but there are others that are real. So - just denying the real ones - is not looking at what is out there. So look around - there is real evidence - including a vid someone from the South Pole observatory sent out.

Research before just denying - there is compelling information - that says something is out there. Besides scientist have also said (before they were silenced) that something was affecting the sun's magnetic core etc.

this is not a Nibiru thread - but also - just as mentioned - why risk the lives of 7 people besides a space shuttle for a telescope that has already gotten the use from it?

I've researched the claims of nibiru at length even back when it was called "nemesis" before planet x and nibiru caught on.
I've researched everything I've mentioned and found nothing of consequence.

As to why risk 7 peoples lives?
1. Every time they go up, they risk their lives.
2. The next shuttle mission will risk their lives.
3. The next space telescope is not ready yet so this is the last "tune up" for hubble to keep it going until the James Webb is finished. It's scheduled for launch in 2014 and will orbit approx. 1 million miles from earth.
4. We only have shuttles so that's the only way for us to get into space right now unless the Air Force forks over their retired shuttles which is highly doubtful.

Trust me, giving the hubble it's last tune up has nothing to do with the imaginary nibiru.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by jfj123]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Is it just me or is Megan MacArthur (the female astronaut) kind of hot?

I'm strangely starting to like her....

Also is it just me or does the NASA feed almost seem like the setting of a sci-fi movie...like it's building for something to happen?

I dunno - just a feeling I guess.

wZn

edit to add - she's married
heard it on the feed

[edit on 14-5-2009 by watchZEITGEISTnow]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I wonder, if Niburu in fact turns out to be absolutely nothing, would the government still use the story for fear mongering (sp?)?

I can only imagine what MSM would be reporting on that day.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by P1DrummerBoy

I just double-checked the OP. Has NOTHING to do with 'niburu'.

Having said that....NO!!!!

For the last time!!!! Hubble is not...I repeat...NOT designed to search for the imaginary 'niburu'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot emphasize this enough.

Hubble is designed to look far, far away....hopefully, to the limits of what we puny Humans have previously seen, to ascertain more data about the way the Universe began!!

THIS is what science, and one of its tools in the process, the Hubble Space Telescope, are acheiving.

Trying to bring the idiocy of 'nibiru' to this discussion is tantamount to bringing 'leprechauns' into a disussion of a cereal and how it is actually made!

I hope somebody gets the irony!......

[edit on 5/14/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Maybe I'm mistaken but I was just looking at pictures take by Hubble of Jupiter, that is kind of close.
Please correct me if I am in correct.hubblesite.org...

This was May 2008

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Here are pictures of neptune taken by Hubble.

images.google.com... result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

So it seems it would be very easy for hubble to look at Nibiru if it exist.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
You ever wonder why they can't just point it at the moon and get some real good photos of it?

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
You ever wonder why they can't just point it at the moon and get some real good photos of it?

here are pictures of Earth's Moon taken by Hubble can't get much closer than that.
images.google.com... en+by+Hubble+telescope&spell=1
This should be right, might have to dig to find Hubble moon shots.

[edit on 14-5-2009 by googolplex]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

Nope!!! Those are not Hubble pictures.

To the other posters who asked....again, the Hubble is in orbit around the Earth. It is only about 350 miles above the Earth. The distance from the surface of the earth to the Moon is about 240,000 miles.

So, the only advantage the Hubble has is a lack of atmospheric disturbance. BUT, a telescope, like Hubble, isn't a telescope in the sense that you go buy one at WalMart!!!!

Hubble is dedicated to a very long-range focus....into deep space.

Sure, it can image the Moon, even Earth....but it is not designed for the resolution needed to see anything of any interest in a simple visual look at a nearby planet. We have much better abilities to see Earth, for example. I don't know why people don't understand this concept!!!

A new satellite is due to launch soon, it will be mapping the Moon in greater detail, it is the LRO, or Lunar Reconaissance Orbiter. Should go up in June, 2009. Hold on, it's only one machine....give it a chance to see everything.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

If you check it says camera 2, take by Hubbles camera 2 taken by hubble space telescope.

Well any how your wrong you can look at close obects and if there is Nibiru it's not so close.
And anyone, can ask for Hubble to look at something in sky for them, time is limited and closely reviewed.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Yes, except....Neptune exists.

"Nibiru" doesn't.

Neptune is about 4.5 Billion KM from the Sun.

Someone else on ATS said that the alleged 'nibiru' is 16.5 Billion miles away....that's 26.4 billion KM. He also said it is travelling at 150 KPS. YOU can do the math.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   

I went to your link, in THIS post, and I see all sorts of pictures, sorry. I see pictures of telescopes ON EARTH!!!

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Look at all the links, quit dodging the facts, the of link says hubble space telescope pictures of jupiter.
I don't know why that one links is out of wack but it does not go back to same site location.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex

If you check it says camera 2, take by Hubbles camera 2 taken by hubble space telescope.

Well any how your wrong you can look at close obects and if there is Nibiru it's not so close.
And anyone, can ask for Hubble to look at something in sky for them, time is limited and closely reviewed.

This really isn't the nibiru thread. If you'd like to make one, I'd be happy to help debunk it for you

now just a bit about the hubble

The Hubble Space Telescope (HST) is a space telescope that was carried into orbit by the Space Shuttle Discovery in April 1990.

The Hubble was funded in the 1970s, with a proposed launch in 1983, but the project was beset by technical delays, budget problems, and the Challenger disaster. When finally launched in 1990, scientists found that the main mirror had been ground incorrectly, severely compromising the telescope's capabilities. However, after a servicing mission in 1993, the telescope was restored to its intended quality. Hubble's position outside the Earth's atmosphere allows it to take extremely sharp images with almost no background light.

Hubble's Ultra Deep Field image, for instance, is the most detailed visible-light image ever made of the universe's most distant objects. Many Hubble observations have led to breakthroughs in astrophysics, such as accurately determining the rate of expansion of the universe.

The Hubble is the only telescope ever designed to be serviced in space by astronauts. To date, there have been four servicing missions. Servicing Mission 1 took place in December 1993 when Hubble's imaging flaw was corrected. Servicing missions 2, 3A, and 3B repaired various sub-systems and replaced many of the observing instruments with more modern and capable versions. However, following the 2003 Columbia Space Shuttle disaster, the fifth servicing mission was canceled on safety grounds. After spirited public discussion, NASA reconsidered this decision, and administrator Mike Griffin gave the green light for one final Hubble servicing mission. This was planned for October 2008, but in September 2008, another key component failed.[5] The servicing mission was postponed until May 2009[6] to allow this unit to be replaced as well.

The planned repairs to the Hubble should allow the telescope to function until at least 2014, when its successor, the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), is due to be launched. The JWST will be far superior to Hubble for many astronomical research programs, but will only observe in infrared, so it would complement (not replace) Hubble's ability to observe in the visible and ultraviolet parts of the spectrum.

Anyone can apply for time on the telescope; there are no restrictions on nationality or academic affiliation.[87] Competition for time on the telescope is extremely intense, and the ratio of time requested to time available (the oversubscription ratio) typically ranges between 6 and 9.

The first director of STScI, Riccardo Giacconi, announced in 1986 that he intended to devote some of his Director Discretionary time to allowing amateur astronomers to use the telescope. The total time to be allocated was only a few hours per cycle, but excited great interest among amateur astronomers.

There are two main space telescopes that are claimed to be successors to Hubble, as well some that lay claim to higher optical achievements.

The Advanced Technology Large-Aperture Space Telescope (ATLAST)[128] is a proposed 8 to 16-meter (320 to 640-inch) optical space telescope that if approved, built, and launched, would be a true replacement and successor for the Hubble Space Telescope (HST); with the ability to observe and photograph astronomical objects in the optical, ultraviolet, and Infrared wavelengths, but with substantially better resolution than the Hubble.

The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is a planned infrared space observatory, and lays claim to being a planned successor of Hubble. The main scientific goal is to observe the most distant objects in the universe, beyond the reach of existing instruments.

en.wikipedia.org...

also here's the main NASA page for hubble
hubble.nasa.gov...

Although some of the more paranoid may not believe the NASA page

Just thought everyone might like some background

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
Sometimes the conspiracy flue does tend to get the better of everyone, not everything is a conspiracy..!

Without great minds like these or those from ancient times we would all still be dragging women into the caves and thumping our chest as a sign of dominance.

Please try and keep things on a reality level.

From page 6 of this thread.

Tristar..I think you need a reality check. The last time I was in the Orange Place..Home Depot...I saw a lot of men chest thumping their dominance here in the Springtime by pushing around a flatbed, taking orders from their women, and putting the stuff on the flatbed. And then when they got to the check out stands the men dutifully and obediently paid for it.

One can find the same thing in any department store...about a 7 to 1 ratio of goods directed to women verses men. The men I know in this country are mostly stupid enough to earn the moneys and often at great risks to themselves...they do not determine how the moneys are spent. Most of them turn discretionary spending decisions over to their women. It is the women who are the greatest political economic power in this country..not the men. Only a man can be this naturally and giftedly stupid. Women are not.
Watch them..these dominant men pushing the cart around and taking orders from their women...then paying for it all.

This means it is a matriarchal society masquerading as a patriarchal society..by stealth. And politics is often the art of stealth. And politics funds most of science...and particularly Space exploration/NASA.

It is admitted by NASA that almost every satellite put into orbit around the Earth has had applications to be of use..down here on earth..not in outer space.

You do not put an orbiting satellite into space at such huge astronomical costs back in 1990 to look out into deep space..a place where one will not travel for hundreds of years with current linear propulsion methods. The informations will be of little to no use..except in very narrow corridors of speculation and theory.
The payoff must be more immediate to justify the expenses.

You can, However, justify this line of deep space exploration, to a gullible public raised on sports conditioning, Star Trek, Star Wars or Babylon whatever's. You can easily get a gullible public to run touchdowns for you on the idea of space exploration..if you have previously conditioned them by gullibility and misdirection. In the very same manner the public has been conditioned to think this is a patriarchal society. By Stealth.

It is also known in certain circles that the military can overtake almost every satellite in orbit for military purposes as well as all transportation systems...including our cars and bicycles...our telephone systems...television systems...all hospital services...food systems...railroads...et al...etc etc.

You do not send two extremely expensive submarines out on the same mission..they are extremely expensive one of a kind platforms...Unless the mission is of such extreme priority and need. Submarines are usually single platform operations.

A space shuttle is no different. You do not send two shuttles on the same mission unless the mission priority is of such extreme importance. Looking deeply into outer space is not of such high priority. While you may glean informations of importance to science..it is not earth shattering informations which will be of immediate payoff to justify expenses. And two space shuttles and crews is very very expensive.

Every Astronaut is trained and knows the risks..just as does every submarines or sailor.....and more so of those with military backgrounds and experience. Every Astronaut signs the waivers. They know what expendability and disposability mean...within the terms of the body politic. And NASA is highly political and highly in sync with the Military...which means they are highly in sync with the body politic...if not an actual extension of the same...by stealth...slight of hand.

But if it makes you folks feel good..no problem. I just don't buy into it.
I am not against space exploration at all..just don't BS me on what is going on out there....or here.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 14-5-2009 by orangetom1999]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
You do not put an orbiting satellite into space at such huge astronomical costs back in 1990 to look out into deep space

An a priori assumption, one without any proof. All one needs to do is look at the archives of raw hubble data. You can't fake the discovery of things that are later confirmed by advances in telescopes on the ground. There are other spy sats just as big as hubble out there, there'd be no reason to hide just another hubble sized sat as a fake space telescope and then have to make falsifiable hoax discoveries.

A space shuttle is no different. You do not send two shuttles on the same mission unless the mission priority is of such extreme importance. Looking deeply into outer space is not of such high priority.

The only reason a second shuttle would be launched is to rescue a stranded crew. That's no different than ANY other shuttle mission.

[edit on 14-5-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
originally posted byjfj123
Don't worry, it' doesn't exist.

It's just superstition and scare mongering.

Nibiru is a hoax.

It's all good

reply googolplex
I would say that your statement is inconclusive and unsubstantiated, would you care to elaborate futher on this matter.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I was hoping to get updates and good conversation about the mission and crew of Atlantis from this thread.

But it seems to have been degraded into a # flinging contest about Nibiru,which in my opinion has nothing what so ever to do with the repair and UPGRADE of Hubble.

I have alerted the mods about a few post i think are off topic but going by the non action i guess im wrong.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join